The Vitamin Shoppe

The Vitamin Shoppe Employer Reviews

Lots to learn
Health enthusiast (Current Employee), Troy, MIMay 27, 2014
I love working here because I learn tons of information about health and supplements. It is fun for me to work here because I can help customers find products to benefit a healthy lifestyle.
okay place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Deerfield Beach, FLMay 27, 2014
Pros: flexible hours. benefits
Cons: management, rude customers
Overall its a good job if you are interested in helping people with their health and fitness needs.
Great place to help customers with their health needs.
Health Enthusiasts (Former Employee), Independence, MOMay 17, 2014
Pros: great discount off products. great staff.
Cons: typical low retail pay.
I worked part time for The Vitamin Shoppe for 8 months. I learned a great deal about vitamins and supplements. I believe I really helped a lot of customers support their health needs. It's a good place to work.
First Job, not so great
Health Enthusiast/Sales (Former Employee), Franklin, TNMay 14, 2014
The store manager really killed our morale so it was a terrible experience.

And they only provided 10 cent raises.... who does that??
striving team chemistry, extremely fun
Associate (Former Employee), Bronx, NYMay 10, 2014
walk in clock in greet everyone, everyone would greet in response, proceed to helping or customers find exactly what they need to get them on their way as soon as possible. empty store, read up on new promotions or products entering the store so we can ensure best customer service. end of day, wrap up tidy up store clock out and close.
Terrible company to work for
Health Enthusiast - ASM (Current Employee), Lakewood, Ca.May 1, 2014
Pros: discounts, vacation pay
Cons: poor management, pay raises
This job is very easy going, helping customers discover their health needs can be a very rewarding experience.
A Typical work day starts with paper work, emails, never ending shipment, helping customers and answering phones.

Micro management, very low moral.
This company has so much potential and the key to vitamin shoppes success is its employees, – more... we work hard with so little reward or praise. We are constantly are held under the micro scoop and harassed by upper management.

I personal have worked myself to the bone for this company and yet I find myself being bullied. I enjoy helping people, I enjoy learning about supplements, I use to love The Vitamin Shoppe, this company was my home away from home and now it makes me sad to see what it has become, a mindless money hungry corporation who doesn't care about its employees. – less
great learning enviroment
Asst Manager (Former Employee), Altamonte Springs, FLApril 27, 2014
this company taught me a lot but they treat their customers better than their staff. as far as working for them they only want to hear what they feel is correct and everything else is pointless.
Health Enthusiast (Former Employee), Pomoano Beach, FLApril 21, 2014
A day working at The Vitamin Shoppe is exciting for the expedition or unknown journey the customer lead you on. This job teaches me to actively listen to customers needs and problems to find the best product to fit their health needs. My co-workers are very friendly and helpful, I know if I get challenged on a problem while solving a customers needs, – more... my co-workers are always there to assist me the best way they can. The hardest part of the job is leaving the job, I feel like there is still more work to be done after clock hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is listening to our satisfied customer say "I really appreciate your help. You were great, I really feel valued as a customer and got all I need. Tell your manager to give you a raise. Thank you." – less
Fast Paced And Very Social Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 21, 2014
Pros: discounts on vitamins, online school to learn about products.
Cons: can sometimes drag, slow days, the pay.
-I make sure the store is clean and accessible for the customers to have an easy-going experience.

-Helping customers find the right products based on their health needs, as well as suggesting supplements to help maintain their current state of health, if not improve it.

-My co-workers and I get along very well. Management is also good. Very well-rounded – more... with how things get done in the store. Makes sure all workers have the right tasks tailored toward his/her growth.

-I enjoy the interaction with the customers and learning about the products the most. I'm very social, so this job is perfect for that. – less
Great place
Sales (Former Employee), Louisville, KYApril 17, 2014
This job requires energetic people and you must be enthusiastic about the work.
growing organization
Manager (Current Employee), North Bergen, NJApril 7, 2014
still growing and learning
need to invest more in the growth
great work place
Health Enthusiast (Current Employee), Pasadena, CAApril 5, 2014
On a weekly basis, spent several hours studying the latest research on supplements (including vitamins and herbs) for effective weight loss; improving athletic performance; and treating various ailments and diseases. Delivered excellent customer service frequently providing comprehensive recommendations on the best health supplements for weight loss, – more... sports nutrition or alternative therapies to traditional medicine. Placed purchasing orders and managed cash registers. – less
Knowledgeable employees including Mnt.
Assistant Sales Manager (Current Employee), Cherry Hill, NJApril 4, 2014
The whole staff is very knowledgeable about products for customers to obtain their wellness and health goals.
Review summary of the Vitamin Shoppe
Supervisor (Current Employee), Lynnwood, WAApril 4, 2014
Pros: health insurance, fun engaging work environment
Cons: inconsistent shift scheduling
A typical day at work involves actively engaging customers with open ended questions to determine health needs and then suggesting helpful supplements to aid in health and wellness goals. I have learned a great deal about alternative medicine, the healing properties of herbs, and the potential for supplements and vitamins to aid in many varying health – more... conditions. Co-workers are fantastic as the Vitamin Shoppe strives on a team oriented mindset; you can help and be helped by your coworkers in so many ways. Such as product knowledge and supplemental information. The hardest part of the job is mastering all their is to know about the products that we carry. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to truly help others meet their wellness goals; its very fulfilling. – less
great product training, little management training
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Darien, ILMarch 24, 2014
Company has great training of product knowledge and great customer service. However, there is no real management training. If my previous employer hadn't been so operations oriented I would know nothing.
Intellectually stimulating and enjoyable workplace
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Garden City, NYMarch 6, 2014
Pros: educational opportunities
Cons: short breaks
Very educational work place. Company requires a year of health education called Vitamin Shoppe University. I learned an abundance of information on vitamins, dietary supplements, illnesses, and other various health topics. Enjoyable employee atmosphere driven by teamwork and respect. Opportunitie to work one on one with clients to help their very specific – more... needs. – less
Cheap Company, you're not worth the investment
Key Holder (Former Employee), San AntonioFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: discount, cheap supplements
Cons: poor management structure, rude coworkers, poor treatment of employees
Very competitive environment among employees/managers. Other employees have job security issues and refuse to train new employees properly. Company hires no one over 30 hours, wastes time by hiring multiple employees to close 8 hrs/week instead of giving other employees full time hours. Extremely cheap company, you get written up if you clock in a minute – more... early. Company makes way too much emphasis on greeting customers, most people want to be acknowledged, but left alone to shop/ Management is salary, the store I worked at, the woman worked 12 hour days, stressing herself and the employees out. Pathetic way to run a business, not worth your time. Breaks are not allowed for employees either, only 30 minute lunches that you cannot take until someone comes in to cover your shift. So if you start at 8, be prepared to wait until 2:30-3 to take a lunch. – less
ok and flexiable schudule
Service Assistant (Former Employee), Wilmington, DEFebruary 23, 2014
the co workers made it fun. and that made the time go by faster
Productive place to work
Employee (Current Employee), Richmond, VAFebruary 10, 2014
Good place for growth, motivational staff. Team players.
This place recently opened and is working hard and diligent to move forward. This company will have continous growth.
Potential to learn a lot - if your tasks don't get in the way!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: see in write up
Cons: see in write up
Was hired on as an ASM and of course, brought in at a higher pay rate. A recent key holder was promoted to the other ASM role and boy was she short changed! Overall, not a bad gig. They train you through online courses; you learn from coworkers; and you take in information from customers as well! All can be applied to helping and assisting others.

My – more... gripes - the SM (who is a great person) in my opinion is not an ideal SM (never ordering supplies properly; does not pull his share of closing shifts; leaves early and justifies it due to working 6 days or pulling a double; not holding staff accountable for shifts; not being a working manager by taking on tasks as well); when trying to adjust personal schedule for a last minute need it's like the end of the world. I personally worked a double so the SM could spend Halloween with their kid due to the PT employee calling out and I get no thanks or nothing.
Pay? Coming in from the outside is the way to go.
Benefits? Your typical run of the mill. Wasn't too bad.
Raises? Didn't stick around to get one due to leaving.
Perks? You get tons of samples to try! Oh and a free tshirt here and there too from vendors.
Tasks? Way too many at times. Whether rotating product; pushing to get Vitamin Shop brand products sold and missing sales goals; to the recovery. It's often stressful because not everyone pulls their weight.
Due to poor pay, it's impossible to hold another job due to the schedule rotating every week and the DM wanted it that way. So if you're not looking for a lot of money, this job may be right up your alley. – less

About The Vitamin Shoppe

Vitamin Shoppe helps vitamin-takers meet their recommended daily requirements. The fast-growing company sells vitamins, supplements, – Read more