The Warranty Group Employee Reviews

Good pay, good benefits, but you will hate your life when you step your first foot into that door.
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 12, 2016
The money and benefits weren't worth the mental abuse we took daily. Management was awful. They never promoted anyone who deserved it. I did work with a lot of great people, but not for long. Turnover is high, and we lost a lot of intelligent employees. Once I started losing my teammates, I knew it was time to go, too.
Overall rating*
Business Analyst/Scrum- Agile (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 15, 2016
Overall ratingCompensation/BenefitsJob Security/AdvancementManagementJob CultureCompensation/Benefits
Great people, management doesn't have a clue
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 6, 2017
Very top down hierarchical culture. Need to move more towards a bottom up approach where employees are empowered to make decisions and drive innovation.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Management is very old school
Productive, fast-pace
Specialty Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 17, 2017
Every day one can handle between 30-60 calls, while also filing and adjudicating 30-50 claims a day. There are always team leads, supervisors and a manager on staff to assist as needed. Plenty of breaks to release some of the tension one can experience from calls or the workload. Everyone is appreciative of communication and getting things done.
Pros
Personal days instead of observed holidays as paid-time off
Cons
excessive workload
Would be an ideal place if there was better management
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 29, 2015
Your work schedule will mostly be awful at first, but enough people will quit or be fired within the first year, that you'll get bumped to a proper shift.

Management are bullies, have no idea what really goes on within the company. Doesn't take input employees until it's too late. Descriminatory practices in employment and enforcement of rules.

Job is very stressful, but having a Mon-Fri schedule was great.
Pros
mon-fri work week. decent benefits -sick days, personal days, vacation, paid short-term disability.
Cons
stressful job, poor management
IT Infrastructure Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 3, 2014
Significant mgmt changes in past 18 months.Just bought by a Texas global private investment firm. Biggest challenges are instituting culture changes and encouraging employees to act with a sense of urgency. Some mgmt had difficulty in translating urgency into properly prioritizing day-to-day workflow.

Company has good benefits.

IT is struggling to support outdated legacy systems with newer technologies. IT budget has been impacted by the new ownership. IT has been downsizing in many areas.
benefits
Cons
Struggles with workflow priorities and work/life balances.
Interesting place to work
Marketing Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 14, 2013
Interesting place to work with very interesting people. Over the past almost five years, I was able to obtain unforgetable knowledge that will help me in the distant futue. I was able to enhance my knowledge in marketing and acting as a facilitator.
This could be a company where you could obtain knowledge and move on to greener pastures.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
slow advancement
The Warranty Group
Customer Representative/A/Receivable (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 25, 2014
I really like the atmosphere at the Warranty group. I wish the money was better and the advancement. But overall a cool place...
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Looking over your shoulder, bad raises
Family
Accounts Payable/Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 4, 2016
I worked here for 5 years , company changed for the better. Compenstation was horrible but I learned a lot in my years here
Unproductive and horrible managment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILApril 1, 2014
The management is terrible, you correspond via instant message and have to wait for ten minutes or more until a supervisor decides to reply and alot of times you have to correspond with several teams of management because others won't even acknowledge you, especially if they don't "like" you. The company is unorganized, many times it takes unnecessary time to finally locate someone with the answer, only to be told to have the customer call back or they will call them. Alot of times it was issues a customer service rep could've handled, had the superior took the time to review the notes and make a decision, as opposed to having the consumer very unhappy for them to be on hold for excessive amounts of time and then be told to call back, or info they already know. The customer service team is awesome and many times we tried to go above and beyond, but if it's out of our authority we have to "wait" until the person who can make that call, decides to advise us how to handle the situation. The only plus side is the pay is ok and the benefits are competitive, but i'm sure because the company knows what you have to put up with, the sad thing is it's not the consumers it's the members of management that abuse their authority!!! It's such a closed in setting, everyone gossips and tells other employee's business, i've never worked at such a messy place.Kind of hard to address any issues or concerns you may have, if the issue is with your superior and their "buddies" with their superior, your issue is than kind of brushed under the rug. I'm glad to have learned about the insurance industry,  more... and I also think TWG for their reference for my new job ( company that values their employees), the key to having a happy employee, is to make sure their appreciated and not just there. The company looked ar customer service at the bottom of the totem pole, but truth be told, wer'e the main people the consumer deals with. You're really only able to actually get ahold of someone in management if the call is extremly escalated, so in actuality we play a way bigger role, than the company will ever acknowledge! My recommendations to any potential employees is don't converse too much, anything said will be spread throughout the office and if you don't mind sucking up, even if you're in the right, then this could be the company for you, also if you're content with being stuck in the same position and no room for advancement, then this is the place for you!!!  less
Pros
Decent pay and competitive benefits
Cons
No help from management, failure to communicate with employees, unorganized system
Great place to work!
CSR Insurance Sales and Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Golden, COJuly 23, 2015
I would still be with them if they hadn't moved back to Chicago. So sorry to see them leave Golden, CO. A typical day would be helping people with travel insurance and getting ready to go on a trip. I also processed claims when people needed to place one. My Manager was one of the best guys I've ever worked with. He was kind, considerate and above all, fair. The hardest part of the job was when they announced they were closing down our building and everybody would be laid off. The best part was the three years I worked there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pros
Culture and people
Cons
they closed down in Golden, CO
Horrible work environment!!! Stay away
General Accounting (Former Employee) –  ChicagoDecember 30, 2012
I recently left this company because the work environment is very unpleasant. I worked in the general accounting area and the supervisors are very degrading of the staff and senior management does absolutely nothing to discourage this which is why I chose to leave the company altogether . It is hard to advance in this company because there are people there that take great measures to throw you under the bus because they have no skills or real talent to contribute and are jealous when others advance in their position. There is constant gossip and back stabbing amongst staff. The hardest part of the job was having to work in such a harsh environment with terrible people. Would not recommend as a place of employment.
Cons
the people in the general accounting area are very unpleasant to work with
High standards for meeting customer's needs; not so good meeting employees' needs.
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Golden, COMarch 28, 2012
This company bought our department from another company, but they dropped the ball in getting employees on board with their company. There was very little information given to existing employees about new company. Our clients had been extremely pleased with our performance previously; however, the new parent company had the attitude that Denver people could not do as good a job as Chicago people. They were condescending to us and created a lot of hard feelings in the beginning. They did some bridge building after a time, but it was never the great place to work that it had been under Aon. Our people were very professional and continued to exceed the client's expectations, but they were never as happy with the new upper management. The company finally decided they did not want to continue to work in this area and closed the office.
Pros
great location, lower managers great!
Cons
upper management oppressive, unfriendly.
Fun place to work
Bilingual Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Golden, COJune 3, 2015
I started in the customer service for a year and moved to the claims department. I processed claims for purchases that were insured by American Express and make sure that the charge was in the account and the amounts, request for documentation, police report if this was a stolen items, once I have all the required documentation, I made the credit in the account for the amount approved. My authority payment was for a limit of $1000 per claim, for the Platinum card I was authorized to pay $10,000 after manager review. Once in a while processed Baggage claims, when that area was pretty busy.

I was certified in several states to sell the Baggage Protection Plan.

Translated official documents from French, Spanish, Italian into English.

Responsible for CDW auto claims when the card holder rented an auto outside the US.
Pros
Flexibility of schedule. I was able to work early shift 6-2
Cons
Job site was far from my home
A little stressful with a lot of perks
Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 12, 2012
A typical day would be making outbound calls and networking with lther departments that deal with home warranties. I learned that you have to watch your back and people would try to get rid of you if they feel like you are a threat. Management is lazy and doesn't want to cooperate. Co-workers gossip. The hardest part is being in a place where people hate you and yet you have to smile. The most enjoyable part is that I had chance to help people.
Pros
helping people and the incentives
Cons
gossip and people trying to get rid of you beause you are threat to their position
Located in the heart of the south loop of Chicago
Internal Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 29, 2013
I have learned a lot about time management and dealing with clients over the phone. TWG does not provide a lot of face to face interaction with their clients. There is not much comradery among the employees. We are all working for the same team however, that is not how it feels. The hardest part of my job is not having much company support from executives. The most enjoyable part of my job is learning new techniques in how to effectively keep customers satisfied.
OK company with some great managers
Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 30, 2015
Some of the management were truly great, others not so much. The focus from most was very much from corporate's perspective. When it moved operations back to Chicago those managers were highly rewarded while everyone else was simply laid off.
Fun work place
Automotive Claims Adjustor Level II (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILAugust 28, 2013
I enjoy working for the warranty group because the office environment is lively. My co-workers are a lot of fun to work with, we all help each other out. When I come into work in the morning I basically take phone calls from customers when needed to help with their warranty claims. I also do a lot of electronic claims on the computer. The hardest part of my job is sitting at a desk all day looking at a computer. As for what I actually do at work it is fun because I get to think about the automotive aspect in a different way.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Short lunch break, sitting at a computer
Great place to work at client location
Sr. Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 5, 2014
I directly report to client side manager and work in a challenging environment which gives me very good learning in my QA career. I work with development and BA team on my reported critical defects. I am having a very good experience in cloud computing and mainframe testing in this job with insurance domain experience.
Worked as a Temp.
Compliance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 5, 2012
Knowing as you start your day, it would always be a new challenge. I learned a new trade, would love to stay in that field of work. Management was professional, good atmosphere, not being hired as a permanant worker. Being able to work independently.
Pros
great atmosphere, and co-worker
Cons
not being a full time employee

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Warranty Group. Our community is ready to answer.

The Warranty Group Reviews by Location