The Washington Hospital Employee Reviews

Very poor employee morale
Therapy (Former Employee) –  Washington PANovember 30, 2013
I worked at The Washington Health System for 15 years before moving on to a much healthier work environment. Management is notorious for favoritism. Every department I knew complained about it. In my department, it was very difficult to get a day off when you needed it, as there were many employees and department policy was that only one employee was allowed off at a time. Vacation requests were due in November, and that was it for the year. If you got invited to anything, say, in August, chances were you would not be able to get the day off as someone else would be already scheduled off. You were forced to call in sick, even though you did not want to. I will give you an example of the rigidity you had to contend with at the Washington Hospital. A co-worker was pregnant, and her doctor called her and asked that she come into his office at 3 o'clock on Friday afternoon to discuss some test results. Her schedule was 8-4:30. When she asked our manager permission to leave 1 and a half hours early, and TOLD HER THE REASON WHY SHE NEEDED TO LEAVE EARLY, our manager told her she needed to attend to her appointments out of scheduled work hours. When my co-worker told the doctor she could not get off, the furious doc faxed a note to our manager demanding her to give her the time off. I could give you many other examples of the extremely rigid work environment there, but not enough time. The poor aides have 22 patients each.They are not allowed to leave a patient on the toilet alone, even if the patient is alert and oriented. Then they get into trouble if they take too long to answer  more... call lights. So unrealistic of management. I could go on and on, but you get the picture. Even though the pay is above average, it is still not worth it to work there. STAY AWAY!  less
Pros
above average pay
Cons
no flexibility whatsoever
Punitive Nursing Administration, No chance for full time or advancement.
RN staff nurse (Former Employee) –  I would rather not say.December 15, 2015
I worked part-time for 1 yr. The new hire nurse manager had NO experience in the specialty or in management. She scheduled me to work every weekend and holiday. The night shift nurse called off a lot and I was forced to work over because there was no prn pool. Since I was part time, I did not get overtime for it. I was written up after working there about 5 weeks for forgetting to document something. The nurse manager could have just told me about it the next day & I would have taken care of it! I have been a nurse +20 yrs and I found this culture to be extremely punitive. I have been a manager & I never treated staff like that. In the year that I was there, I didn't get a performance review just the snotty manager's occasional nit-picking. I finally quit because the manager would not change my schedule. If I had wanted to work every weekend, I would have taken a weekend job at the bigger hospitals for premium pay. I loved my patients and coworkers. I had never been written up in any other job and I was told that I was an excellent nurse by other nurses and doctors who had been my patients. Your loss Washington Hospital.
Pros
You get a regular paycheck. My co-workers were dedicated & hardworking.
Cons
Rigid, Arrogant, Punitive Culture, no chance for full time.
Stay away from The Washington Hospital. You will regret working here.
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, PAAugust 15, 2015
The Washington Hospital is a terrible place to work for. All the managers/supervisors on basically every floor and department micromanage you to death. They watch literally your every move. They put you in disciplinary action for even the smallest mistake. Everybody I have ever talked to hates their job. People quit or walk out all the time. They can't keep people. Very hostile environment. You are forced into a horrible union that does nothing to help the employee. You are pretty much forced to pay to park just to work there. If you want to be misrible and hate your life then you should work at The Washington Hospital. If you want to be happy then I suggest working elsewhere. I've kept in contact with some people who left and they say it is so much better.
Pros
Pay is decent
Cons
Management, pay to park, hostile, unsafe...list goes on and on
It was stressful, but enjoyable.
Patient Access Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, PAApril 28, 2014
I loved my job at The Washington Hospital for the first 7 years. It had gotten to the point where you received no help from co-workers, not even to take a restroom break. For 4 years I worked a shift of 12:00pm to 10:30pm because no one else would or was capable of doing it. Even after 9 years, I was still being scheduled for 8 or 9 weekends in a row. I did have some outstanding co-workers though. The hardest part of the job was when they cut back on the afternoon shift with workers, and I handled everything from Bed Control to Registration and Admissions alone. The most enjoyable part of the job was when patients would ask for me by name because of how well I treated everyone.
Pros
the job itself.
Cons
no restroom breaks, and rarely able to take a lunch, most times i had to eat at my desk while in charge of bed control.
Toxic Culture, No Communication
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, PAOctober 10, 2012
Little communication in spite of countless meetings. There is no financial management passed down to managers, so you have people ballooning their departments with bodies that do not have the needed skills for projects to protect long tenured friends.

Change, and approved change tends to be blocked by culture, while rules outside of Joint Commission guidelines are not written or communicated.

If you are an IS employee, you will have a better infrastructure on your home network, and you will receive cooperation including: ignored emails, ignored phone calls, sabotage, broken promises, and can only get raises by sitting in your position for 365 days.

To get ahead, don't do more than the minimum, and you will get 3-4% every year. Not my cup of tea.
Pros
pay above market
Cons
toxic culture, no fiscal management
Don't waste your time
Nutritional Services (Current Employee) –  Washington, paDecember 13, 2012
Mangement sucks, you pay for parking, union dues for what?, they never help with any situations. Nursing staff is very rude & 90% of the entire building staff is bitter. You would think half the workers had no parents to raise them theyre so disrespectful. Rules only apply to certain people. You get occurances for days you call off like youre back in high school. I would never reccomend anyone even think about applying or getting a job here! When my grandmother was admitted as a patient here she told me not to mention her name because she was embarrassed that the staff was so rude to her and frankly I'm embarrassed to say I'm even an employee here!
Pros
i've made a few friends in my department & thats the only pro
Cons
just about everything
Wonderful wage and benefit package. Teamwork among co-workers. Great leaalrning environment.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Washington, PA 15301February 13, 2013
* Nurse to nurse bedside report, Assess pts, pass meds, wound care, physician communication, documentation, pt education.
* I learn something new all the time! Developed clinical skills, confidence in ability, time management, Improve communications with doctors and co-workers.
* Management is approachable and willing to listen and assist in solving problems
* Seasoned co-workers to turn to with questions.
* Schedule not always conducive to family life. Fast pace of surgical floor.
* Patients, definitely!
Pros
wages, benefits, discounts for the wellness center
Cons
patient/ nurse ratio, pace of floor
Not a very nice place to work for:-(
CNA (Former Employee) –  Washington paNovember 1, 2012
Not a nice place to work for. No job security you pay union dues for what . They don't help you but take your money. Everybody hates there job . Everyday you work you might not have a job they replace you and your position , maybe get part time but I need full time to raise my kids when I got replaced . Not a very nice place to work for management is so mean to workers. The pay is great and insurance is ok . But that will all stop because they changed there name to the Washington health system . That cost money !!!!:-(
Cons
no breaks or lunches :(
I like my job however I am looking for something new.
ADMINISTRATIVE NURSING SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Washington, PAAugust 29, 2014
I am responsible for the overall functions of the hospital on any given dy. I do the staffing and patient placement for the 250 bed facility. I problem solve and provide customer service as well as guide and advise staff. I am the back up for IV placement when the IV team is unable to access. Which is what I enjoy the most. I am a resource for the staff and physicians.
Pros
i get to start ivs!
Cons
a lot of multitasking can be overwhelming.
Changing times in healthcare
Manager Patient Access Dept (Former Employee) –  Washington PAJune 28, 2013
Day to day changing times in healthcare. Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help patients with their needs and to teach staff how to help our patients with medical insurance and demographics.
Day to day concerns about what patients coverage intails.
Pros
good pay, teaching staff, assistanting patients
Run!!!
Lab (Former Employee) –  LabNovember 24, 2014
Miserable 50 something year old co-workers. Unhappy, entitled and disgruntled employees and worthless management. No flexibility or vision. "We've always done it this way" narrow-minded mentality. Do yourself a favor and steer clear from this place.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
scheduling coordinator is incompetent, plan to work 7 days in a row and 3 weekends out of a month, miserable culture.
I'm a quick learner and proficient worker.
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, PAJuly 17, 2012
Working in different areas of the pharmacy dept. I have experience dispensing medications to all the floors. Also have experience working in the IV sterilized room mixing medications. Worked in the outpatient side of the pharmacy.
Pros
working in iv room, dispensing, helping patients
Cons
different shifts
This job was in hospital administration and carried a lot of responsibility.
Secretary to V P Risk Management (Former Employee) –  WashingtonDecember 17, 2011
The hospital provided inpatient and outpatient care. They were as fair with their employees as was possible in the current ecconomy.
Pros
health care, pension plan
Cons
stressful environment
Stressfull work environment
RN (Current Employee) –  Med surgNovember 21, 2012
UNSAFE NURSE PATIENT RATIOS!! Management is terrible, overworked nursing assistants, toxic culture in which staff are fearful not to speak up and fired if they do. Basically do what we tell you and that's it type of environment.
Cons
too many to mention
Great salary & excellent benefits
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Washington, PAMay 31, 2012
A great hospital with focus on patient care and satisfaction. Up to date charting systems and vocera for communicating amongst staff. Helpful manager and co workers.
Pros
vocera, sunrise acute care, pyxis
Cons
understaffed na's
Enjoyed the co-workers, but nothing else
Patient Access Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, PANovember 21, 2012
OVMC wasn't a very good place for anyone expecting a raise or any advancement. I worked there for four years and got one raise right before the end of my employment.
Admitting Clerk
Admitting Clerk (Former Employee) –  AdmittingFebruary 28, 2012
The pay is good. People will be people, but you find that no matter where you work. It has been a very long time since I worked there and I still have family who work there and are very happy.
dont work in the lab- the turnover is bad
office associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, PAOctober 29, 2013
greated patients at the front window, faxed, data entry. the turnover is horiable working in the lab. the co workers were nice to work with
Good company to work for
Behavioral Health Clinician (Former Employee) –  Washington, PASeptember 8, 2013
Liked working with patients in a hospital setting. Administration was supportive
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
hours were not flexible
Great environment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Washington, PAMarch 21, 2013
Great co-workers. Great compensation and benefits. Sense of community throughout hospital.
Pros
benefits, compensation, co-workers

2.9