The Washington Hospital

The Washington Hospital Employer Reviews

RN
Registered Nurse- Cardiac Surgical Unit (Former Employee), Washington, PAJuly 23, 2014
cardiac nurse, great atmosphere and co-workers. 12 hour shifts, great pay scale.
It was stressful, but enjoyable.
Patient Access Specialist (Former Employee), Washington, PAApril 28, 2014
Pros: the job itself.
Cons: no restroom breaks, and rarely able to take a lunch, most times i had to eat at my desk while in charge of bed control.
I loved my job at The Washington Hospital for the first 7 years. It had gotten to the point where you received no help from co-workers, not even to take a restroom break. For 4 years I worked a shift of 12:00pm to 10:30pm because no one else would or was capable of doing it. Even after 9 years, I was still being scheduled for 8 or 9 weekends in a row. – more... I did have some outstanding co-workers though. The hardest part of the job was when they cut back on the afternoon shift with workers, and I handled everything from Bed Control to Registration and Admissions alone. The most enjoyable part of the job was when patients would ask for me by name because of how well I treated everyone. – less
Very poor employee morale
Therapy (Former Employee), Washington PANovember 30, 2013
Pros: above average pay
Cons: no flexibility whatsoever
I worked at The Washington Health System for 15 years before moving on to a much healthier work environment. Management is notorious for favoritism. Every department I knew complained about it. In my department, it was very difficult to get a day off when you needed it, as there were many employees and department policy was that only one employee was – more... allowed off at a time. Vacation requests were due in November, and that was it for the year. If you got invited to anything, say, in August, chances were you would not be able to get the day off as someone else would be already scheduled off. You were forced to call in sick, even though you did not want to. I will give you an example of the rigidity you had to contend with at the Washington Hospital. A co-worker was pregnant, and her doctor called her and asked that she come into his office at 3 o'clock on Friday afternoon to discuss some test results. Her schedule was 8-4:30. When she asked our manager permission to leave 1 and a half hours early, and TOLD HER THE REASON WHY SHE NEEDED TO LEAVE EARLY, our manager told her she needed to attend to her appointments out of scheduled work hours. When my co-worker told the doctor she could not get off, the furious doc faxed a note to our manager demanding her to give her the time off. I could give you many other examples of the extremely rigid work environment there, but not enough time. The poor aides have 22 patients each.They are not allowed to leave a patient on the toilet alone, even if the patient is alert and oriented. Then they get into trouble if they take too long to answer call lights. So unrealistic of management. I could go on and on, but you get the picture. Even though the pay is above average, it is still not worth it to work there. STAY AWAY! – less
dont work in the lab- the turnover is bad
office associate (Former Employee), Washington, PAOctober 29, 2013
greated patients at the front window, faxed, data entry. the turnover is horiable working in the lab. the co workers were nice to work with
Good company to work for
Behavioral Health Clinician (Former Employee), Washington, PASeptember 8, 2013
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: hours were not flexible
Liked working with patients in a hospital setting. Administration was supportive
Changing times in healthcare
Manager Patient Access Dept (Former Employee), Washington PAJune 28, 2013
Pros: good pay, teaching staff, assistanting patients
Cons: long hours
Day to day changing times in healthcare. Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help patients with their needs and to teach staff how to help our patients with medical insurance and demographics.
Day to day concerns about what patients coverage intails.
Great environment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Washington, PAMarch 21, 2013
Pros: benefits, compensation, co-workers
Great co-workers. Great compensation and benefits. Sense of community throughout hospital.
Wonderful wage and benefit package. Teamwork among co-workers. Great leaalrning environment.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Washington, PA 15301February 13, 2013
Pros: wages, benefits, discounts for the wellness center
Cons: patient/ nurse ratio, pace of floor
* Nurse to nurse bedside report, Assess pts, pass meds, wound care, physician communication, documentation, pt education.
* I learn something new all the time! Developed clinical skills, confidence in ability, time management, Improve communications with doctors and co-workers.
* Management is approachable and willing to listen and assist in solving – more... problems
* Seasoned co-workers to turn to with questions.
* Schedule not always conducive to family life. Fast pace of surgical floor.
* Patients, definitely! – less
Don't waste your time
Nutritional Services (Current Employee), Washington, paDecember 13, 2012
Pros: i've made a few friends in my department & thats the only pro
Cons: just about everything
Mangement sucks, you pay for parking, union dues for what?, they never help with any situations. Nursing staff is very rude & 90% of the entire building staff is bitter. You would think half the workers had no parents to raise them theyre so disrespectful. Rules only apply to certain people. You get occurances for days you call off like youre back in – more... high school. I would never reccomend anyone even think about applying or getting a job here! When my grandmother was admitted as a patient here she told me not to mention her name because she was embarrassed that the staff was so rude to her and frankly I'm embarrassed to say I'm even an employee here! – less
Enjoyed the co-workers, but nothing else
Patient Access Associate (Former Employee), Washington, PANovember 21, 2012
OVMC wasn't a very good place for anyone expecting a raise or any advancement. I worked there for four years and got one raise right before the end of my employment.
Stressfull work environment
RN (Current Employee), Med surgNovember 21, 2012
Cons: too many to mention
UNSAFE NURSE PATIENT RATIOS!! Management is terrible, overworked nursing assistants, toxic culture in which staff are fearful not to speak up and fired if they do. Basically do what we tell you and that's it type of environment.
Not a very nice place to work for:-(
CNA (Former Employee), Washington paNovember 1, 2012
Cons: no breaks or lunches :(
Not a nice place to work for. No job security you pay union dues for what . They don't help you but take your money. Everybody hates there job . Everyday you work you might not have a job they replace you and your position , maybe get part time but I need full time to raise my kids when I got replaced . Not a very nice place to work for management is – more... so mean to workers. The pay is great and insurance is ok . But that will all stop because they changed there name to the Washington health system . That cost money !!!!:-( – less
Toxic Culture, No Communication
Project Manager (Former Employee), Washington, PAOctober 10, 2012
Pros: pay above market
Cons: toxic culture, no fiscal management
Little communication in spite of countless meetings. There is no financial management passed down to managers, so you have people ballooning their departments with bodies that do not have the needed skills for projects to protect long tenured friends.

Change, and approved change tends to be blocked by culture, while rules outside of Joint Commission – more... guidelines are not written or communicated.

If you are an IS employee, you will have a better infrastructure on your home network, and you will receive cooperation including: ignored emails, ignored phone calls, sabotage, broken promises, and can only get raises by sitting in your position for 365 days.

To get ahead, don't do more than the minimum, and you will get 3-4% every year. Not my cup of tea. – less
Great pay
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Washington, PASeptember 23, 2012
Pros: salary
Cons: people hating their jobs
At The Washington Hospital the pay is great. It is the best bay within 100 miles. BUT...most of the people that work there are misrible. Staff walk around saying how much they hate their jobs.
I'm a quick learner and proficient worker.
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee), Washington, PAJuly 17, 2012
Pros: working in iv room, dispensing, helping patients
Cons: different shifts
Working in different areas of the pharmacy dept. I have experience dispensing medications to all the floors. Also have experience working in the IV sterilized room mixing medications. Worked in the outpatient side of the pharmacy.
Great salary & excellent benefits
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Washington, PAMay 31, 2012
Pros: vocera, sunrise acute care, pyxis
Cons: understaffed na's
A great hospital with focus on patient care and satisfaction. Up to date charting systems and vocera for communicating amongst staff. Helpful manager and co workers.
Admitting Clerk
Admitting Clerk (Former Employee), AdmittingFebruary 28, 2012
The pay is good. People will be people, but you find that no matter where you work. It has been a very long time since I worked there and I still have family who work there and are very happy.
This job was in hospital administration and carried a lot of responsibility.
Secretary to V P Risk Management (Former Employee), WashingtonDecember 17, 2011
Pros: health care, pension plan
Cons: stressful environment
The hospital provided inpatient and outpatient care. They were as fair with their employees as was possible in the current ecconomy.