The Washington Post

The Washington Post Employee Reviews

Once great company on the down-slide
Desktop Publishing Associate (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Co-workers & Managers in Ad Ops were all very supportive.
Cons: More than pros at this point, as listed in Review.
Bad environment for anyone hoping for job security. Print Newspapers as a profession is dying and full time employment is becoming quite transient.

People are expected to do more and more as staff is reduced, salaries are essentially frozen and benefits slashed to the bone. Even the Washington Post Building has been sold!

New ownership (Bezos) - not a Newspaper guy & not from the 'Family' that owned the paper.

The PEOPLE you work with are the main positive. The general environment is one of disquiet and insecurity & never being sure one will have a position to return to, day by day.
Productive and innovative; Friendly
Benefits Analyst Contractor (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 30, 2015
Pros: Employee Wellness Management
Cons: N/A
I enhanced my knowledge and received experience working with Unions;
Most enjoyable part of the job was doing and learning how to do new task and communicating with my manager;
I learned more about advanced functions with Excel;
Busy environment.

N/A
Great Mission / Old School
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 29, 2015
Pros: Great mission, great people
Cons: change resistance
It's a great company to work for in the sense of that it's great what they do. However, as it is an old company, there is a change resistance. Kind of "we've been doing this for years, so why should we change?". Well, the world is changing, so companies must too. This may have changed with the new leadership.
Work at a constant pace and tripled area during good times.
Bookkeeper (Former Employee), Winchester, VAMay 16, 2015
Pros: Good benefits and meeting many great people.
Cons: Snow and extreme cold made deliveries hard and long days.
The typical day for me consisted of doing newspaper home deliveries at night at least 3-4 days a week; collecting at stores during the day 2 days a week; and doing bookkeeping and marketing duties at least 4 days a week.

I learned how to do computerized database bookkeeping and create marketing flyers which would increase our customer base.

I was in the administrative portion of this business for the most part, so management in our area was great.

The hardest part of the job was delivering papers in the snow or extreme cold. This made the days extremely long with little sleep.

The most enjoyable part of the job was growing the area and learning the computerized bookkeeping system.
IT Desktop Management (Current Employee), Washington, DCMay 6, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours.
Cons: commute is long.
Great co-workers, most employees are wonderful to work with. Pays relatively well for DC area. Manager is awesome but some in the building are terrible.
Brilliant historical paper with multi prize-winning Newsroom
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 4, 2015
Pros: Work-life balance, employees, historical newspaper
Cons: Healthcare benefits
It was an honor working at The Washington Post and being apart of history, groundbreaking news, media and digital empire. I've worked with some incredibly talented and dynamic people who have made a huge impact in my life at work, encouraging me to become a better individual both personally and professionally. To be quite honest, the hardest part about leaving were the people; beginning with the mailroom clerks, security guards, all the way up to senior management. Life at The Post, particularly is exciting, innovative and forever changing, always remaining relevant in today's digital world. The Post created a flexible work-life balance which is an invaluable benefit for any working parent.
Very low stress environment
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee), Washington DCApril 2, 2015
Management and fellow employees treated me well, I was introduced to some new technology.The computer end users who I supported were generally easy to please. There were game tables, which allowed for unwinding. This contributed to a very pleasant work environment.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: i was able to enjoy the product that we were selling, which is the newspaper
Cons: no comment
I started working for The Washington Post straight out of High School and working there for 13 years was a great experience. I would have to speak with customers on a daily basis to make sure they were satisfied with their Home Delivery. Also, had to assist 12 managers with whatever that was needed. My co-workers were the best! I was the youngest employee in the office, so I learned so much from each one of them.
Not living up to its former glory
Coordinator (Current Employee), Washington, DCDecember 28, 2014
Cons: no tuition or certificate program reimbursement, benefits are sorely lacking
Middle management does not encourage career advancement.
Your treated not equal but by time you have worked there
The Washington post (Former Employee), woodbridge va 22193November 14, 2014
Cons: all
dont work there the newer you are the worst they treat you (steel part of your check) the only way it works is if you stay with them forever and do the math. (Paycheck/ to 30(day))
High pressure and exciting work environment.
Education Contributor (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 17, 2014
Pros: independence
Cons: demand for quick turnaround on articles.
Fast paced environment requiring quick thinking and analytical skills. High pressure for editorial production. Exhilerating to accomplish and meet strict deadlines. Great, exciting work environment.
multiple opportunities
Statement Analyst/Papermarker (Former Employee), District of ColumbiaMay 29, 2014
Pros: downtown scenery
Cons: commute was expensive
I worked in 4 departments over 13 1/2 years here. All the jobs were customer service related and I appreciated each job. I learned what may not seem important to me may be very important to another person. (ex. missing a morning paper) The hardest part of my experience was answering calls on a fast pace. The most enjoyable part was being 2 blocks from the White House and working downtown which was beautiful.
The Post was Awesome
Obituary/Death Notice Desk (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 3, 2014
The day to day workflow was busy. But because the over all management time cared about the employees work was always fun.
There were times when you felt that you would pull your hair out but at the end of the day The Washington Post treats their employees wonderful! Great Benefits, flexible hours and caring employees all around. I made many friends for life there!
it an ok place of work
independant contractor helper (Former Employee), springfield,virginiaNovember 13, 2013
Pros: just doing the job
Cons: no benefits
easy to get along with just about anyone at this job how to not get upset when things go wrong
Happy to be here.
CIRCULATION (Current Employee), WASHINGTON DCNovember 4, 2013
Pros: pay and people
Cons: people with tenure who won't change for the good of the company.
A lot of good people who have been around to long who need to move on down the road for the sake of the company.
A lively place to work
Production Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 2, 2013
I very much enjoyed working at The Washington Post because something was always happening. It is an exciting place to work.
Wonderful and valuable summer intership program
Production Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 31, 2013
The summer internship program is a valuable experience that provides hands-on learning. The managers that volunteer their time to mentor the interns are exceptional!
Great place to learn, not a good place to stay
Senior Network Engineer /Team Lead (Current Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 22, 2013
Pros: great people, fun new technology.
Cons: management, lack of communication, potential loss of job due to sale and change in technology.
The Post has undergone lots of change. Some very bright people, great use of technology. Just lack of Technical leadership holds it back.
productive and fun
Independent Sales Agent (Former Employee), Washington DCAugust 2, 2013
Pros: the people
Cons: parking
I loved working at the Washington Post....its a great company with wonderful people.
Productive interesting place.
Utility Mailer (Current Employee), Springfield, VAAugust 1, 2013
Pros: you get the paper for free.
Cons: part time on call no health care benefits.
The Washington Post is a busy work place and you have to wear protective eye and hearing gear. It is very interesting how the production of the paper is printed and how much work it takes to get your ad inserts into the paper.

About The Washington Post

One of the world’s most trusted media organizations, The Washington Post provides millions of people with everything they – Read more

The Washington Post Salaries

Account Manager
$70,000 per year
Administrative Assistant
$70,000 per year

The Washington Post Photos

Our Engineering team hard at work during their Breakathon event!
New Employee Orientation!
Jeff Bezos strikes a triangle, which summons editors for the afternoon planning meeting.