The Washington Post

The Washington Post Employee Reviews in United States

Busy workplace
Circulation Specialist/ Call Center (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 5, 2016
Working at the Washington post was interesting and a fast pace environment. Innovative and energetic are the words that comes to mind, when I think back on this company.
Pros
A fun place and fast moving place to work
Cons
short breaks
Press Room Helpers
General Worker (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VADecember 2, 2015
General Worker , Helped in the pressroom around the presses , in the baler room with the waste paper, ink spills on the floor , we are responsible for cleaning the presses and press room floors .
Like owning your own business
Circulation Distributor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 30, 2015
Up all night, up all day, never much sleep... though pay was extraordinary. get up 11 PM go to warehouse and load newspaper trucks to go out to carriers. Next, last minute paperwork for exact newspaper counts, new starts, stops, comments, complaints... all of these done on the truck as it goes out into the field. After drops made, meet carriers for instructions, wake carriers from oversleeping, for carrier no-shows, give up-to-date route list for extra routes for other carriers to carry or carry the route myself. After carriers finish, go behind them to inspect potential delivery mishaps. 6AM take a coffee break. 7-9 take customer complaints (many irate) and make redeliveries. 9 AM, go to office for A/P, A/R. customer billing, go to post office to collect payments, get the bank deposit ready for 11 AM. Lunch. Management meetings 2 PM get paperwork ready for carriers for the next day. 4 PM work done go home and sleep until 11P. All this 7 days a week
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Never sleep, poor social life
Technical Architect (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 7, 2015
Enjoyed my years there when I worked for the Graham family.

Was involved in a number of transformative projects and had the culture was great.
Pros
free paper, people, & business goals
Cons
budget short fall, and paper industry was dying
enjoy to work for this job
Experienced Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAJuly 9, 2015
• Collect and inspect random samples during print runs to identify any necessary adjustments.
• Start presses and pull proofs to check for ink coverage and density, alignment, and registration.
Load presses with paper and make necessary adjustments, according to paper size
Once great company on the down-slide
Desktop Publishing Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 1, 2015
Bad environment for anyone hoping for job security. Print Newspapers as a profession is dying and full time employment is becoming quite transient.

People are expected to do more and more as staff is reduced, salaries are essentially frozen and benefits slashed to the bone. Even the Washington Post Building has been sold!

New ownership (Bezos) - not a Newspaper guy & not from the 'Family' that owned the paper.

The PEOPLE you work with are the main positive. The general environment is one of disquiet and insecurity & never being sure one will have a position to return to, day by day.
Pros
Co-workers & Managers in Ad Ops were all very supportive.
Cons
More than pros at this point, as listed in Review.
Productive and innovative; Friendly
Benefits Analyst Contractor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 30, 2015
I enhanced my knowledge and received experience working with Unions;
Most enjoyable part of the job was doing and learning how to do new task and communicating with my manager;
I learned more about advanced functions with Excel;
Busy environment.

N/A
Pros
Employee Wellness Management
Cons
N/A
Great Mission / Old School
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 29, 2015
It's a great company to work for in the sense of that it's great what they do. However, as it is an old company, there is a change resistance. Kind of "we've been doing this for years, so why should we change?". Well, the world is changing, so companies must too. This may have changed with the new leadership.
Pros
Great mission, great people
Cons
change resistance
Work at a constant pace and tripled area during good times.
Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAMay 16, 2015
The typical day for me consisted of doing newspaper home deliveries at night at least 3-4 days a week; collecting at stores during the day 2 days a week; and doing bookkeeping and marketing duties at least 4 days a week.

I learned how to do computerized database bookkeeping and create marketing flyers which would increase our customer base.

I was in the administrative portion of this business for the most part, so management in our area was great.

The hardest part of the job was delivering papers in the snow or extreme cold. This made the days extremely long with little sleep.

The most enjoyable part of the job was growing the area and learning the computerized bookkeeping system.
Pros
Good benefits and meeting many great people.
Cons
Snow and extreme cold made deliveries hard and long days.
IT Desktop Management (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 6, 2015
Great co-workers, most employees are wonderful to work with. Pays relatively well for DC area. Manager is awesome but some in the building are terrible.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
commute is long.
Brilliant historical paper with multi prize-winning Newsroom
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 4, 2015
It was an honor working at The Washington Post and being apart of history, groundbreaking news, media and digital empire. I've worked with some incredibly talented and dynamic people who have made a huge impact in my life at work, encouraging me to become a better individual both personally and professionally. To be quite honest, the hardest part about leaving were the people; beginning with the mailroom clerks, security guards, all the way up to senior management. Life at The Post, particularly is exciting, innovative and forever changing, always remaining relevant in today's digital world. The Post created a flexible work-life balance which is an invaluable benefit for any working parent.
Pros
Work-life balance, employees, historical newspaper
Cons
Healthcare benefits
Very low stress environment
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington DCApril 2, 2015
Management and fellow employees treated me well, I was introduced to some new technology.The computer end users who I supported were generally easy to please. There were game tables, which allowed for unwinding. This contributed to a very pleasant work environment.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 14, 2015
I started working for The Washington Post straight out of High School and working there for 13 years was a great experience. I would have to speak with customers on a daily basis to make sure they were satisfied with their Home Delivery. Also, had to assist 12 managers with whatever that was needed. My co-workers were the best! I was the youngest employee in the office, so I learned so much from each one of them.
Pros
i was able to enjoy the product that we were selling, which is the newspaper
Cons
no comment
Not living up to its former glory
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 28, 2014
Middle management does not encourage career advancement.
Cons
no tuition or certificate program reimbursement, benefits are sorely lacking
Your treated not equal but by time you have worked there
The Washington post (Former Employee) –  woodbridge va 22193November 14, 2014
dont work there the newer you are the worst they treat you (steel part of your check) the only way it works is if you stay with them forever and do the math. (Paycheck/ to 30(day))
Cons
all
High pressure and exciting work environment.
Education Contributor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 17, 2014
Fast paced environment requiring quick thinking and analytical skills. High pressure for editorial production. Exhilerating to accomplish and meet strict deadlines. Great, exciting work environment.
Pros
independence
Cons
demand for quick turnaround on articles.
multiple opportunities
Statement Analyst/Papermarker (Former Employee) –  District of ColumbiaMay 29, 2014
I worked in 4 departments over 13 1/2 years here. All the jobs were customer service related and I appreciated each job. I learned what may not seem important to me may be very important to another person. (ex. missing a morning paper) The hardest part of my experience was answering calls on a fast pace. The most enjoyable part was being 2 blocks from the White House and working downtown which was beautiful.
Pros
downtown scenery
Cons
commute was expensive
Utility Mailer (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAMay 3, 2014
Great place to work. Loud. medium to fast work pace. Downside is the afternoon shift: Takes away most of your day. but the pay is great.
Pros
pay, experience
Cons
getting hours can get tough at times
The Post was Awesome
Obituary/Death Notice Desk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 3, 2014
The day to day workflow was busy. But because the over all management time cared about the employees work was always fun.
There were times when you felt that you would pull your hair out but at the end of the day The Washington Post treats their employees wonderful! Great Benefits, flexible hours and caring employees all around. I made many friends for life there!
it an ok place of work
independant contractor helper (Former Employee) –  springfield,virginiaNovember 13, 2013
easy to get along with just about anyone at this job how to not get upset when things go wrong
Pros
just doing the job
Cons
no benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Washington Post. Our community is ready to answer.

The Washington Post Reviews by Location