The Weitz Company Employee Reviews in United States

Don't do it!
project superintendent (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 20, 2016
Simply put, the single worst company I have every worked for. I quit, after finding out how incompetent and lazy the General Super was. The Senior PM is not much better. Not one single updated schedule went out! NOT ONE! No temporary roof installed, just temporary water proofing. And that's in Seattle! LOL...They are currently tearing out drywall with mold...The PMs have not even completed the buyout yet. They want you to work every Saturday and the PMs do not. No sharing. If you are on the field side, you will opening gates at 6am and closing at 6pm, six days a week. They are way behind, and trying to get any warm body to help, why the responsible parties try to lay blame on anyone but themselves to save there butts. The contracts in Seattle are only 2.75% and the owners get all the savings by Weitz. All the other players in the Seattle market, a very fast growing market, are getting 6% and 7% and making bank on Change orders. Don't do it!
Pros
Cons
Work 72 hours week. No schedules. Back charging the Subs!

Comment – July 5, 2016

We appreciate your feedback, and apologize that you did not find our company to be a career fit for you. We continuously evaluate our employee experience to ensure we provide a challenging and rewarding work environment. We have a great deal of long tenured employees and rehires that have come back to our company. In addition, we are experiencing record growth and do a great deal of referral and repeat work, which affords our employees career growth opportunities. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Comment – July 12, 2016

Negative
Warehouse Asst. (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLAugust 25, 2012
Large general contractor that used to employ hundreds of hard working hourly employees for numerous projects. Now leaning towards a management company with preference for sub-cons.Worried more about bottom line than hourly workers that helped to get them where they are.Only loyalty is to higharchy.Preach family & safety but bottom line is boss.
Pros
pay & benefits were ok
Cons
no job security, no loyalty !
Great Company
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 5, 2015
One of the first companies Ive worked for that is transparent. They are open about where the company is and where they want to head.
Everyone is great to work with. Its challenging and fun at the same time.
Excellent benefits
Office Administrator/H.R. Manager/Risk (Former Employee) –  Dededo, GUApril 2, 2014
Excellent pay, benefits & employer sponsored programs for this region (as compared to local companies). And although there are numerous meetings, training, & communication about the company's mission & goals - respect, honesty, & integrity, it doesn't always follow its mission & goals. There is no job security as lay-offs occur frequently. No first right of refusal.
benefits
Cons
lack of respect, honesty & integrity
A great place to work, one big family, exceptional values
Senior Project Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 6, 2012
The days start early with a safety coordination meeting, A morning huddle with Weitz employees, PT Job site stretching for all employees. Project walk thru to assess work in process actual VS Schedule. I learned on a daily basis thru Training, Job site experiences, Mentoring from some of the best and brightest in our industry. We were not micro managed, but rather given the tools and support to do our jobs at the highest level. Weitz has a proven system to manage and build jobs from small to extremely large and complex. The Weitz program was my PHD in construction management.
The management for Weitz was top notch from the top to the bottom, Hard working, supportive, yet able to critic work and ultimately provided a road map to helping us to succeed at a high level.
I have many industry friends from my tenure with Weitz and have great references and resources in the construction industry. Truly Weitz was a once in a lifetime experience.
The hardest part of the job was the constant push for excellence, the career planning, goal setting push was all ways present and monitored thru the review process, if you were lax in your career you were reminded thru reviews and progress checks. and on your pay check.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the push to balance my work life with my personal life, which is very hard to do with project deadline looming on a daily basis. However the Life balance was at its highest when working for Weitz.
Pros
education and training, free shirts, and free lunches
Cons
requirement to do whhat ever it takes to achieve mission goals
Great parties
Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLNovember 14, 2012
Excellant Company until the Housing market collaspe. Then all the accountants were laid off except for two, the controller and an assistant.
Pros
excellant pay and benefits for non-degree
Cons
politics
Great group of guys in workplace
Concrete Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Wever, IAApril 28, 2014
Each day begins with a safety meeting. This company is very safety minded. I'm learning not to take safety for granted. The management is doing the best they can given the circumstances.
Most of my co-workers are easy to get along with. The pay is the hardest part of the job. (It could be more). The most enjoyable part of my job is learning new things about concrete construction.
Start up venture that allowed for growth
Senior Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KansasNovember 26, 2012
I enjoyed getting to be part of a start up venture that sought to bring value on many levels to new and existing customers.
Pros
people
Cons
location and involvement of upper management.
Decent company to work for
Journeyman Ironworker (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 4, 2012
Enjoyed working for them but it truly depended on which work site you are assigned to.
Pros
close to home, decent pay, good personell and most supervisors
Cons
some sites you wait most of the day to do a 10 minute job due to permits or site restrictions
Good Company with a excellent history
Director of Special Projects Group (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 5, 2012
Has undergone a significant down sizing due to economy and significant bad jobs
Pros
had extremely good talent
Cons
in a salvage operation, endeavoring, to save the company

Want to know more about The Weitz Company?

Ask a question
Flexible Schedule and Friendly Staff
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 22, 2014
The staff is very accommodating to my other job's schedule and they are very easy to work with.
Estimated and Managed several projects at one time
Project Manager/Estimator (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 23, 2012
Managed pre-construction services including all facets of estimating

2.3