The Wilderness Society

The Wilderness Society Employer Reviews

Fun, Friendly, and Passionate Workplace
Conservation Funding Intern (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 8, 2013
Pros: flexible, accommodating, fun but professional
Cons: unpaid internship
My experience at the Wilderness Society was a very positive one. I was actively engaged in relevant policy issues and was exposed to a wide variety of professional settings in which I was encouraged to learn and participate. Although I worked full time, they were extremely flexible with my schedule. Management went well above and beyond to help me acclimate – more... and gain as much knowledge and experience as possible during my time with the organization.

The most difficult part of my job was quickly adapting to changing policy and learning how to function effectively in a political environment. I was also given some projects with very short notice but expectations were generally fair. The best part of my job was the people I worked with. They were fun and friendly and were social outside of office hours (ie. running club, office happy hours, etc.) Plus I was exposed to a lot of great opportunities and learned a lot during my stay. – less
Great people, passionate about mission
Associate (Former Employee), Western USMay 4, 2012
Pros: great mission, good compensation, great people.
Cons: upper management not following through with plans, lack of advancement opportunities
The Wilderness Society's mission is to protect wilderness and inspire Americans to care about wild places. It is staffed by professionals committed to that mission, at work and in their personal lives.

I worked for one of the western regional offices for six years, and can't say enough good things about my co-workers and my supervisor.

I enjoyed the – more... working relationships with my co-workers; while we each had our own program goals to work toward, we came together to help each other out. People welcomed and respected each other's ideas and even criticisms. I loved the flexibility and ability to take on new challenges and projects once I'd mastered my main job duties. I learned a lot about public lands, wilderness and was able to grow in my professional skills, thanks to the supervisor I worked for.

While I believe that most everyone on staff was devoted to the mission of the organization, I believe that one of the weaker areas that the organization is now addressing is how it is managed, and it's lack of promotional opportunities for existing staff. It tended to look outside the organization for 'experts and directors,' when it could have invested some education and training into it's existing staff who were already doing the work in the field. They often ended up with lots of thinkers and idea people who could think big picture, but sometimes lacked the expertise or aptitude to think through and budget for all the steps and resources it would take to get to the goals it set out for itself.

That said, it is still a great organization that is doing great work. – less
Great people and excellent culture, but due to limited funds pays were limtied.
Promotion/Sales & Marketing (Former Employee), AdelaideJune 26, 2013
Pros: ethic and satisfying work.
Cons: low pay and no job security due to nature of work
I really enjoyed the work and being with the people.It was just difficult to work for such low pay and with no future to progress as the company is so small.
Super organisation that cares for the environment.
fundraiser (Former Employee), SydneySeptember 3, 2012
Pros: saving wilderness
Cons: nil
Excellent place to work.Super organisation that cares for the environment.