The Wilderness Society Employee Reviews in United States

Loved mission and supporters
Senior Director of Dev. for Membership (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 23, 2013
There was a transition period at TWS when there were 30+year employees and many new staff coming onto the team. As the organization went through growth pains, there were culture clashes and an inability by management to effectively support change.

The staff was so demoralized it was impossible to get them out of the negative space they worked in in order to move forward. The processes that needed to be changed never were changed and the people hired to bring change were let go while the folks refusing to embrace new technology and methodology remain at the organization.

Lack of general counsel, stable HR department and interdepartmental accountability makes this a very stressful environment to work in for the short and long term. I hope it has changed since I left.

Its mission is too important to fail. I wish the organization nothing but goodness.
Pros
mission, history of organization, unaccountability for mismanagement of budgets
Cons
management, lack of structure clarity, job insecurity, lack of supervisor stability
Great people, passionate about mission
Associate (Former Employee) –  Western USMay 4, 2012
The Wilderness Society's mission is to protect wilderness and inspire Americans to care about wild places. It is staffed by professionals committed to that mission, at work and in their personal lives.

I worked for one of the western regional offices for six years, and can't say enough good things about my co-workers and my supervisor.

I enjoyed the working relationships with my co-workers; while we each had our own program goals to work toward, we came together to help each other out. People welcomed and respected each other's ideas and even criticisms. I loved the flexibility and ability to take on new challenges and projects once I'd mastered my main job duties. I learned a lot about public lands, wilderness and was able to grow in my professional skills, thanks to the supervisor I worked for.

While I believe that most everyone on staff was devoted to the mission of the organization, I believe that one of the weaker areas that the organization is now addressing is how it is managed, and it's lack of promotional opportunities for existing staff. It tended to look outside the organization for 'experts and directors,' when it could have invested some education and training into it's existing staff who were already doing the work in the field. They often ended up with lots of thinkers and idea people who could think big picture, but sometimes lacked the expertise or aptitude to think through and budget for all the steps and resources it would take to get to the goals it set out for itself.

That said, it is still a great organization that is doing great work.
Pros
great mission, good compensation, great people.
Cons
upper management not following through with plans, lack of advancement opportunities

Want to know more about The Wilderness Society?

Ask a question