The Wine Group Employee Reviews in United States

Very sad place to work
maintenance (Current Employee) –  Ripon, CAJanuary 6, 2016
this placed had very skilled workers in the workplace at one time. the old timers are being pushed out but the young and un skilled worker. promotions are given to people that do not have the all skills in the job description but are still awarded the bid. so with that said new management is young un experienced and they do know the first thing on how to value great work if it hit them in their face. the only thing that will have you coming back to work is literally the paycheck. this place is trying to change at this moment so the supervisors are un organized the work is distributed not in a timely fashion. also people in charge are wasting company time working overtime and on the weekends at the desk or looking at people work. all in all if you cant find employment else where then I would apply but if you can avoid this place I would. in my years that I worked here I never recommended any person I knew to go through this company that is so un organized. they do not appreciate loyal employees they gave forty employees a pink slip without notice
Pros
great wage for the valley
Cons
health care, job security, no advancemnet any time soon
MGMT related or friends
Operations (Former Employee) –  Ripon, CAMay 29, 2015
If it weren't for MGMT, it would be a good company to work for....the actual workers who produce are great, not too bad in terms of work environment, it is a winery/MFG plant but the MGMT are all judgmental, nosy, bully their employees and have no problem bringing the ax down on good workers if they don't like the person on a personal level or don't agree with their lifestyle even if it doesn't affect their job. A lot of the MGMT are family members or friends who all attend the same church...which is fine but really, cliques in the work place??! All in all, glad I'm no longer part of The Wine Group where there is no room for advancement if you aren't family or go to the same church and what's comical is they promote folks that aren't even qualified to assume the role. So long TWG!!
Pros
Friendly co-workers, flexible hours, good pay, decent benefits
Cons
Unprofessional MGMT, no real HR that actually protects the workers
The wine group
AMO (Former Employee) –  RIPON CAMay 2, 2013
former AMO , my experience was bad , you take some simple tests,really easy hands on test ,interview and you hire no experience necessary, then you start working ,first nice training at first then they tell you you have to be qualified on every piece of equipment very difficult to do you are on probation for a year , the union is a joke you pay union dues and get no representation , your always one mistake away from getting fire , my supervisor are quick to remind you how much money the pay you and why very unprofessional,when i worked there, we had 55 amo, 12 quit or got fire ,bottom line if you want to make money go there ,but stress of the job not worth it , if people call in sick ,they force you to work an additional four hour,make sure to bring food for a twelve hour shift ,every day is like box of chocolate you never know what you going to get
Pros
wages, benefits
Cons
management, long hour, break room next to bathroom, this place is a dump
Fast pace work enviromment
strategic partner (Former Employee) –  Ripon CASeptember 24, 2015
Working at TWG was a wonderful experience. Never a dull moment. There are so many areas of the business to learn about which made the role I was in very desirable.
The Wine Group
AMO (Former Employee) –  Ripion, CADecember 18, 2011
Be prepared to work long hours.... i started in september, everyone is very friendly, but don't let it fool you! The reason why im giving this review is because i don't anyone to go through what i did. If your being hired as an AMO or Advanced Machine Operator you are going to be put on a journey you'll never for get...The plant has been working six days a week since march of 2011. Yes they are busy, cause who doesn't drink wine? The employees in the AMO department were recruited within the planet because the company was forced to by the union contract. So your already thinking to yourself that people who have no mechanincal experience just had to pass a basic knowledge test to get a pay increase and work as a machine operator. Their were a few people that were knowledgeable about the machines, how they worked and how to fix them. Others.......well from their previous job at the plant they just liked to drive the forklifts and stock the line, and load product. So if you Apply don't be surprized to not get your 20day, 40day, and 60day review that your supose to have cause none of us had ours and it has been confirmed. As for the rest of the plant is great to work for i hear. Just not the AMO department because it has only been ran for the last year with non experienced individuals.
Pros
lunch ins
Cons
management
I dislike working environment: unfriendly and disrespect
QC Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Ripon, CAMarch 26, 2015
No fully training, full time employees were unhelpfull, lazy, and disrespect temporary workers.
I was scared to ask co-workers to show me how to do work that I never got trained.
Pros
sometimes free meals for graveyard shift
Cons
no benefits.
Entrepreneurial place to work
Director Trade Development (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 2, 2015
Very entrepreneurial place to work. Learned a tremendous amount about the wine business from manufacturing to sales.
Worked with many different departments and exposed to many aspects of the company.
Pros
freedom to succed
Cons
not ready to invest in what is needed to be competitive
Innovative and exciting
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAApril 8, 2013
The Wine Group takes the simplicity of wine and production to new levels. Management and culture are relaxed yet professional.
Positive atmosphere
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Ripon, CADecember 12, 2012
Great place to work if you like being pushed to learn.Its a positive place to work.
Pros
great management
Cons
union politics
Glad I'm not there anymore.
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaMay 16, 2013
Company operates on a shoestring budget, as far as the sales division is concerned. Little to no useful training while I was there and compensation was below average for the industry. Products are sub-par for the industry and always changing with little to no regard for brand history or relevance for it's category.

Good people to work with, but doesn't offer much else.
Pros
people.
Cons
everything else.
employee satisfaction a high priority
Industrial Maintenance Mechanic/ Site Electrician (Former Employee) –  Cutler, CASeptember 4, 2012
Electrical maintenance and installation with full support of the management. The employees were a great bunch of people that really cared about their fellow workers.
Pros
great work enviroment
Removed knowledeable management with none experienced people in the wine industry.
Master Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Ripon, CAJune 6, 2013
Company has no value of experienced employees. It appears to be weeding out senior employees.
Cons
no chance of advancement.
Nice people, nice employers.
Rack and Blender (Former Employee) –  Madera, CAApril 16, 2015
I was a temporary employee for a season. Everyone was nice, and treated me with kindness. I love working for The Wine Group.
Pros
No one is ever rushing you.
Cons
The only con is that I didn't get hire on.
Nice people to work with.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Ripon, CADecember 2, 2014
Nice place to work at would've still been there if I wouldn't have been laid-off. Communication between maintenance and supervisors was a bit of a problem. Learned to keep a very good professional relationship with co-workers especially to work closely with the maintenance team, it makes your productivity greater.
i liked the fast pace work enivroment
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Ripon, CAJuly 9, 2013
when i go to work i look forward to see what's going to happen with the machine. is it going to run fine or is it going to be down for half the day. hardest part for me sometimes is when we get a good production at work, staying awake is kinda tough. its more interesting for me when the machine goes down due to the fact that we learn what happen and what we need to do to fix the issue.
Pros
free wines on certain hoildays/annual company picnic
Cons
n/a
They have poker cards.
Dock Helper and forklift driver (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAMay 30, 2014
Every one in the company was good to get along with.
They certified me to drive a forklift.
The hardest park of the job was that the supplies would sometimes stop working or equipment would break.
The most enjoyable thing about being in that company was the employees there they were nice and funny.
Pros
they would have potlocks every holiday.
Cons
need ping pong tables or other equipment to make it fun during breaks and lunches.
Fun place to work
Case Coder (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAFebruary 24, 2014
On a typical day i would clean until the forklift operators would get out of there daily meeting. then i would begin loading boxes onto a convayer belt so they could be wrapped and loaded on a trailer. Every one that worked there were very help and nice there was never nothing really hard as long as you just kept working hard.
Pros
free water
Cons
nothing really just the graveyard shift was a little hard to get use to.
Family environment
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAJuly 11, 2013
I would begin my day by planning out my route, then start building displays, stocking shelves, and looking for new sales opportunities. I learned a lot of valuable information in regards to the wine and spirits industry. The best part of the day was getting to interact with different people everyday.
Pros
flexibility
Great work environment
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  RIPON CANovember 6, 2013
Day to day work routine, learned tons of new skills. I manage to operate machinery. Co workers are team players. Hardest part of the job for me hand stacking cases of wine. I enjoy the people there and the work environment.
Pros
get free wine certain time of month
Cons
the distance from parking lot to clock in station
I enjoy the wine industry
Plant Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Ripon, CANovember 19, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job is achieving goals while being cost mindful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Wine Group. Our community is ready to answer.