The World Bank

The World Bank Employee Reviews

International exposure and talented people
Operations Analyst (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 4, 2015
Pros: Alternative working schedule, vacation
Cons: Bureaucratic, short term contracts
The World Bank shares a great mission and is a place where you will find talented people from every corner of the world. However, given size and muscle tends to be quite bureaucratic and hard to advance. Work load tends to be heavy.
Multicultural environment
Senior Adviser (Current Employee), Washington DCJune 23, 2015
It is a very plural and respectful environment. Nobody minds anyone else business: clothes, timetable, habits and so on. In addition, at The World Bank you have a range of 188 possible different countries people working; besides, when you go to implement as specific project you have a great new experience with the government agents.
Energetic place to work
Medical staff assistant/ Billing & coder (Former Employee), Wahington, DCJune 19, 2015
Pros: Location
Cons: Traffic
The best place to learn foreign languages and about foreign affairs.
I learned a great deal about insurance billing and coding, and the specifics about the insurances that they World bank has affiliation with. The opportunity that the World Bank provides not only the US, but the world is AMAZING!!!
Intensive working environment
Short-Term Consultant (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 26, 2015
Pros: High salary
During my time at the World Bank, I was assigned to provide a 10-day consultancy service on how to integrate human rights in development works. This helped me to improve my critical thinking and writing skills. The working environment also created an opportunity to strengthen my ability to work in a multi-cultural and stressful environment.
Great pay, easy job for consultant, not good for long term
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 25, 2015
Pros: Great pay. Travel a lot (visa convenience). Multi-culture. Relax job.
Cons: Laying off employees.
They are laying people off.
I work there as an intern, and I applied a full-time position, they even refused to give me an interview.
The consultants' job seem to be heavily involved with MS Office, Powerpoint, and Excel. Sometimes Tableau.
Bureaucracy.
I don't like the cafeteria.
Bank Fund Staff Federal Credit Union
Communications Associate (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 20, 2015
During my time at Bank Fund Staff Federal Credit Union I learned many skills that I will carry with me throughout the duration of my career. The people I worked with were great and the environment was also excellent. I did not entirely believe in how the management was run there, nor do I believe they were fair.
Organization with Noble Objectives, but Terrible Management and Culture
Officer (Former Employee), Washington DCApril 5, 2015
Pros: Diversity of national cultures, smart people, social life, inspiring objectives
Cons: 5-8 meetings per day mostly internal including unit retreats, town hall meetings with presidents and VP, book reviews, team lunches, all hands meetings with new directors and managers changing every year, self-serving outcomes - not client focused. Very far away from poor countries' needs, centralizing in DC instead of decentralizing, etc.
Getting worse every day, culture of playing favorites, relationships driven, and managers who should be politicians...really not qualified for their jobs, not caring for staff at all, just want to survive in the ever "changing" organization and keep their own jobs!
Opportunity to assist governments in developing countries to strengthen their financial systems
Senior Financial Management Specialist (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: varied job responsibilities
Cons: intensive travel and lack of work/life balance
The work has wide spectrum: from monitoring the financial affairs of individual projects to assisting government to improve their financial management systems. The work requires intensive travel
Assertive, proactive, full of empathy
South Asia Human Development Sector (Former Employee), 1818 H Street, Washington, DCJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: professional job setting
Cons: long drive to work
I have now retired from the World Bank and am currently working as a consultant. The Bank is a phenomenal place to work. All enjoyed every aspect of my work at the bank as a program assistant. This scope of work is similar to what one would do as an administrative assistant. I provide administrative and logistical support to project teams, including sector managers, sector directors and project team leaders. I worked at the Bank for over 20 years and retired in 2012.
Great work environment
Senior Course Administrator and Business Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCDecember 9, 2014
Pros: great work environment
The World Bank is a great place to work. The diversity and culture in this Organization is unparalleled.

One gets exposed to all the different cultures of the World, and work towards one common goal.
A great place to work. Like The Bank's mission of ending extreme poverty
Africa Development Effectiveness (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 1, 2014
Pros: travelling
Cons: healthcare
8:00-8:30
• I hope I have time for this
3. Sort through my e-mail
• Delete worthless messages
• Answer emails
• Sort out those that require more time or extra work to answer
– move them to my to-do list.

8:30-10:30
Since this is my most productive time of day I try to tackle my most demanding project.
This is when I would write important letters, work on a report for the school board, update
or refine a data sheet.

11:00
Great time for meetings. This is a nice to take a break from desk work and it has a
definite end time (lunch)

12:00
Lunch (Away from my desk, because I need to refresh and rejuvenate)

1:00
Return phone calls, respond to emails, work on to-do list

2:30-4:00
Do data entry, send or pay bills, prepare mailings, things that are more routine and
don’t require as much energy. This is a good time to get routine jobs complete.

4:00-5:00
Burst of final effort to complete my to-do list. Sort out things that can be moved
to tomorrow’s list. This time of day is my best ‘sorting’ time – complete short,
easy projects, request information from others for my projects, clean off my desk, etc.

In between all of this I answer the phone and deal with the immediate needs of customers and co-workers. As the face of the business, it is important that I handle interruptions to my schedule with graciousness and unruffled efficiency.
A great and interesting place to work
Search Operational Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCNovember 9, 2014
Pros: great learning opportunities
Cons: limit opportunities for growth
The World Bank is an amazing place to work: great environment, diverse culture .There are so many incredibly talented, intelligent, educated people from every corner of the planet. The institution is like a job-university because there are always various training programs, workshops, community gathering provided to teach and educate its employees.
Productive, fun, international
Junior Professional Associate (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 19, 2014
The job culture, compensation and work/life balance is unsurpassable. You get a lot of exposure, learn about policy or any topic of interest, and they actively provided access to all sorts of cool events, symposiums, conferences. They also include a budget for professional development in employees' package. There is also a lot of collaboration amongst coworkers and other departments/organizations, and a lot of international politics and negotiations. You also get to meet high-level people from all over the world, and make friends with coworkers from all over the world.

In terms of job security and advancement, it is average. They have lately been using these short-term contracts that makes it hard to feel secure or advance. Even for people who are staff, they seem to be insecure about advancing, which in turn affects quality of management also. However, this is a 15000 employee organization so it is hard to generalize and it is situation specific.
Productive, great work environment
Contractor (Current Employee), Washington, DCOctober 6, 2014
calm relaxed environment
pleasure of working with clients all over the world
management great, laid back
Exceptionally rich environment, stimulating work, great colleagues and great opportunity
Senior Operations Officer (Current Employee), Washington, DCOctober 4, 2014
Pros: opportunity to travel and experience different cultures and enviornments, working with diverse and fantastic colleagues, satisfying and rewarding work, working for an oranization with strong values and vision.
Cons: being away for such long and frequent amounts of times, eventually became an impediment to other pursuits.
The World Bank is a great place to work. Having started out at a relatively low level, I was given the opportunity to advance and to become more deeply involved with projects in multiple countries. The work was not only satisfying, but rich in every way possible -- working with great colleagues from all over the world, designing and working on projects in multi-ethnic environments, and most of all, knowing my work was aiding numerous peoples with the greatest possible needs.

If that wasn't enough, I was also given the opportunity to expand my skills enormously -- becoming involved in portfolio monitoring and management, and taking a greater role in the Bank's ultimate goals of project outcomes and impact.
Lovely place
Consultant, Private/Financial Sectors Development (Current Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 12, 2014
very helpful and knowledgeable colleges, that could always direct you
OK organization, decent salary but terrible culture and management
Consultant - Services and Competitiveness (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: work/life balance
Cons: cero possibilities to grow, unless you happen to be the favorite of your manager
OK organization, decent salary but terrible culture and management
Stressful yet productive working environment
Contracts Officer (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 26, 2014
Minimal opportunities for growth. Great comraderie. Broad diversity and opportunities to learn new cultures.

Working with extremely intelligent professionals is great.
Application of academic knowledge to solve real challenges in the world
Financial Sector Specialist/Project Leader (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 25, 2014
Pros: exciting opportunities, benefit package
Cons: no permanent contract (unstable job security)
Continuous traveling to Africa (client countries) once every 2 months for 2-3 weeks requires significant amount of physical mobility, mental toughness, and sacrifice on private life. Working with clients Governments (mostly Ministry of Finance) can be challenging with government protocols and bureaucracy at times, but I enjoyed working at the World Bank for 8 years because professional satisfaction and learning I get from it was immense. It was exciting and rewarding to support economic growth of emerging countries with colleagues who are highly intellectual.
Productive and peaceful workplace
INTERN (Former Employee), Washington, D.CMay 15, 2014
Work was mainly office administration on a daily basis. I filled and copied documents. My co workers were friendly and respectful.

1 2 3

About The World Bank

Collectively known as the World Bank, the International Bank for Reconstruction & Development (IBRD) and its sister organization – Read more

The World Bank Salaries