The World Bank

The World Bank United States Employee Reviews

Bank Fund Staff Federal Credit Union
Communications Associate (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 20, 2015
During my time at Bank Fund Staff Federal Credit Union I learned many skills that I will carry with me throughout the duration of my career. The people I worked with were great and the environment was also excellent. I did not entirely believe in how the management was run there, nor do I believe they were fair.
Organization with Noble Objectives, but Terrible Management and Culture
Officer (Former Employee), Washington DCApril 5, 2015
Pros: Diversity of national cultures, smart people, social life, inspiring objectives
Cons: 5-8 meetings per day mostly internal including unit retreats, town hall meetings with presidents and VP, book reviews, team lunches, all hands meetings with new directors and managers changing every year, self-serving outcomes - not client focused. Very far away from poor countries' needs, centralizing in DC instead of decentralizing, etc.
Getting worse every day, culture of playing favorites, relationships driven, and managers who should be politicians...really not qualified for their jobs, not caring for staff at all, just want to survive in the ever "changing" organization and keep their own jobs!
Opportunity to assist governments in developing countries to strengthen their financial systems
Senior Financial Management Specialist (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: varied job responsibilities
Cons: intensive travel and lack of work/life balance
The work has wide spectrum: from monitoring the financial affairs of individual projects to assisting government to improve their financial management systems. The work requires intensive travel
Assertive, proactive, full of empathy
South Asia Human Development Sector (Former Employee), 1818 H Street, Washington, DCJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: professional job setting
Cons: long drive to work
I have now retired from the World Bank and am currently working as a consultant. The Bank is a phenomenal place to work. All enjoyed every aspect of my work at the bank as a program assistant. This scope of work is similar to what one would do as an administrative assistant. I provide administrative and logistical support to project teams, including sector managers, sector directors and project team leaders. I worked at the Bank for over 20 years and retired in 2012.
Great work environment
Senior Course Administrator and Business Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCDecember 9, 2014
Pros: great work environment
The World Bank is a great place to work. The diversity and culture in this Organization is unparalleled.

One gets exposed to all the different cultures of the World, and work towards one common goal.
A great place to work. Like The Bank's mission of ending extreme poverty
Africa Development Effectiveness (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 1, 2014
Pros: travelling
Cons: healthcare
8:00-8:30
• I hope I have time for this
3. Sort through my e-mail
• Delete worthless messages
• Answer emails
• Sort out those that require more time or extra work to answer
– move them to my to-do list.

8:30-10:30
Since this is my most productive time of day I try to tackle my most demanding project.
This is when I would write important letters, work on a report for the school board, update
or refine a data sheet.

11:00
Great time for meetings. This is a nice to take a break from desk work and it has a
definite end time (lunch)

12:00
Lunch (Away from my desk, because I need to refresh and rejuvenate)

1:00
Return phone calls, respond to emails, work on to-do list

2:30-4:00
Do data entry, send or pay bills, prepare mailings, things that are more routine and
don’t require as much energy. This is a good time to get routine jobs complete.

4:00-5:00
Burst of final effort to complete my to-do list. Sort out things that can be moved
to tomorrow’s list. This time of day is my best ‘sorting’ time – complete short,
easy projects, request information from others for my projects, clean off my desk, etc.

In between all of this I answer the phone and deal with the immediate needs of customers and co-workers. As the face of the business, it is important that I handle interruptions to my schedule with graciousness and unruffled efficiency.
A great and interesting place to work
Search Operational Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCNovember 9, 2014
Pros: great learning opportunities
Cons: limit opportunities for growth
The World Bank is an amazing place to work: great environment, diverse culture .There are so many incredibly talented, intelligent, educated people from every corner of the planet. The institution is like a job-university because there are always various training programs, workshops, community gathering provided to teach and educate its employees.
Productive, fun, international
Junior Professional Associate (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 19, 2014
The job culture, compensation and work/life balance is unsurpassable. You get a lot of exposure, learn about policy or any topic of interest, and they actively provided access to all sorts of cool events, symposiums, conferences. They also include a budget for professional development in employees' package. There is also a lot of collaboration amongst coworkers and other departments/organizations, and a lot of international politics and negotiations. You also get to meet high-level people from all over the world, and make friends with coworkers from all over the world.

In terms of job security and advancement, it is average. They have lately been using these short-term contracts that makes it hard to feel secure or advance. Even for people who are staff, they seem to be insecure about advancing, which in turn affects quality of management also. However, this is a 15000 employee organization so it is hard to generalize and it is situation specific.
Productive, great work environment
Contractor (Current Employee), Washington, DCOctober 6, 2014
calm relaxed environment
pleasure of working with clients all over the world
management great, laid back
Exceptionally rich environment, stimulating work, great colleagues and great opportunity
Senior Operations Officer (Current Employee), Washington, DCOctober 4, 2014
Pros: opportunity to travel and experience different cultures and enviornments, working with diverse and fantastic colleagues, satisfying and rewarding work, working for an oranization with strong values and vision.
Cons: being away for such long and frequent amounts of times, eventually became an impediment to other pursuits.
The World Bank is a great place to work. Having started out at a relatively low level, I was given the opportunity to advance and to become more deeply involved with projects in multiple countries. The work was not only satisfying, but rich in every way possible -- working with great colleagues from all over the world, designing and working on projects in multi-ethnic environments, and most of all, knowing my work was aiding numerous peoples with the greatest possible needs.

If that wasn't enough, I was also given the opportunity to expand my skills enormously -- becoming involved in portfolio monitoring and management, and taking a greater role in the Bank's ultimate goals of project outcomes and impact.
Lovely place
Consultant, Private/Financial Sectors Development (Current Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 12, 2014
very helpful and knowledgeable colleges, that could always direct you
OK organization, decent salary but terrible culture and management
Consultant - Services and Competitiveness (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: work/life balance
Cons: cero possibilities to grow, unless you happen to be the favorite of your manager
OK organization, decent salary but terrible culture and management
Stressful yet productive working environment
Contracts Officer (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 26, 2014
Minimal opportunities for growth. Great comraderie. Broad diversity and opportunities to learn new cultures.

Working with extremely intelligent professionals is great.
Application of academic knowledge to solve real challenges in the world
Financial Sector Specialist/Project Leader (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 25, 2014
Pros: exciting opportunities, benefit package
Cons: no permanent contract (unstable job security)
Continuous traveling to Africa (client countries) once every 2 months for 2-3 weeks requires significant amount of physical mobility, mental toughness, and sacrifice on private life. Working with clients Governments (mostly Ministry of Finance) can be challenging with government protocols and bureaucracy at times, but I enjoyed working at the World Bank for 8 years because professional satisfaction and learning I get from it was immense. It was exciting and rewarding to support economic growth of emerging countries with colleagues who are highly intellectual.
Productive and peaceful workplace
INTERN (Former Employee), Washington, D.CMay 15, 2014
Work was mainly office administration on a daily basis. I filled and copied documents. My co workers were friendly and respectful.
A very interesting place to work. You will gain a greater knowledge of the world and the issues which impact the people of many nations.
Web Content Designer (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 4, 2014
Pros: too many to name.
Cons: know your tax status. they do not take out state and federal taxes from your pay.
Highly dynamic environment, and impressive work space. They had something for everyone. If you have skills that you were interested in applying to a problem in Southeast Asia, you had an open door to do so. If you wanted to apply your knowledge of low impact farming in South America, you were welcome to share your knowledge.
This was one of the few organization where I felt that good ideas actually made their way to the people they were meant to serve.
I would still be there now if I didn't have to leave the region.
Productive and fun workplace
Extended Term Temporary (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 27, 2014
Working here has changed my life, and my outlook on my career. The atmosphere is great, and very culturally diverse. Although I work pretty long hours, it's always rewarding. My coworkers and colleagues are amazing, and I feel blessed to work with them.

However, soon it will be time to move on and continue advancing in life. I know that when that time comes, The World Bank will be very supportive.
Great Place to work and challengin environment
Program assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 26, 2014
Very interesting place to work and benefits are great. Most of the work was relating to the project financing in developing countries. On daily basis we would review the steps taken by the foreign governments required by the bank in order to fulfill requirements for the Bank's loan. Co- workers were fantastic, very interesting people who are at the same time extremely good at their job and very easy to work with.
Culturally Intriguing
Short Term Consultant - HR Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 1, 2014
Pros: interanationally innovative
Cons: advancement throughout the organization
A typical day at work would involve creating new candidates folder, following up on candidates status of the recruitment process and updating status of candidates process in the system. I have learned much in regards of dealing with cultural sensitivity. Knowing how to respond, greet and overall communicate with others in an international organization. I thoroughly enjoyed my colleagues for we looked at each other as a team with respect. The most difficult thing about my job was time sensitivity. Things had to get completed in a certain time frame that would sometime be out of one's control. e.g. security clearance. That is handled by another department and it would make it difficult to continue the process of recruitment if there was a hold up of verification of clearance. The most enjoyable part of recruitment was helping others achieve their desired goal of seeing them get on board in a timely and effective manner.
Productive but life/work balance
Short Term Consultant (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 8, 2014
The only problem is that it's hard to be permanent employee.

About The World Bank

Collectively known as the World Bank, the International Bank for Reconstruction & Development (IBRD) and its sister organization – Read more