The World Bank Employee Reviews

One of the most excellent multicultural and professional environments to work in. If you love people, besides your job, from any language and culture
Information Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 12, 2015
If you have Compassion for the Poor and you think you can make a difference in the World, no matter in what field you work, as well as you enjoy working among other cultures, then the World Bank is the place for you.
The new CIO has definitely made a big difference and brought the Bank to the upfront in Technology, which over the last several years, has been consistently changing at a fast pace.
Managers, like everywhere else, can be excellent, mediocre and poor, but regardless of that, if you are a good worker and love your job, the word will get around and you will always make your manager look good. People will bring you presents from other parts of the world out of the goodness of their own hearts.
Working in a Team where people are proactive, with very good ideas, is one of the most enjoyable parts of the job along with seeing your colleagues with whom you have made good friends over the years.
Keep a careful balance between work and your family life.
Do not neglect your health and join the gym. It will make a difference and boost your stamina to continue the rest of the day.
Pros
Many options to grow professionally through training modules, and learn about what the Bank is doing to alleviate proverty in the World.
Cons
It can be very political
Challenging
Short-term Consultant (Current Employee) –  Washngton DCOctober 5, 2015
Challenging to find good opportunities beyond STC. Difficult as US national to get fixed term contract roles. Typically work more than short term contract days allocated to complete contract.
Work experience
Transaction Specialist (Current Employee) –  washington DcOctober 2, 2015
I am with bank for last 8 years now over this period of time I met with amazing colleagues and supervisors a great learning experience for me in accounting and procurement
International exposure and talented people
Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 4, 2015
The World Bank shares a great mission and is a place where you will find talented people from every corner of the world. However, given size and muscle tends to be quite bureaucratic and hard to advance. Work load tends to be heavy.
Pros
Alternative working schedule, vacation
Cons
Bureaucratic, short term contracts
Multicultural environment
Senior Adviser (Current Employee) –  Washington DCJune 23, 2015
It is a very plural and respectful environment. Nobody minds anyone else business: clothes, timetable, habits and so on. In addition, at The World Bank you have a range of 188 possible different countries people working; besides, when you go to implement as specific project you have a great new experience with the government agents.
Energetic place to work
Medical staff assistant/ Billing & coder (Former Employee) –  Wahington, DCJune 19, 2015
The best place to learn foreign languages and about foreign affairs.
I learned a great deal about insurance billing and coding, and the specifics about the insurances that they World bank has affiliation with. The opportunity that the World Bank provides not only the US, but the world is AMAZING!!!
Pros
Cons
Traffic
Intensive working environment
Short-Term Consultant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 26, 2015
During my time at the World Bank, I was assigned to provide a 10-day consultancy service on how to integrate human rights in development works. This helped me to improve my critical thinking and writing skills. The working environment also created an opportunity to strengthen my ability to work in a multi-cultural and stressful environment.
Pros
High salary
Great pay, easy job for consultant, not good for long term
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 25, 2015
They are laying people off.
I work there as an intern, and I applied a full-time position, they even refused to give me an interview.
The consultants' job seem to be heavily involved with MS Office, Powerpoint, and Excel. Sometimes Tableau.
Bureaucracy.
I don't like the cafeteria.
Pros
Great pay. Travel a lot (visa convenience). Multi-culture. Relax job.
Cons
Laying off employees.
Bank Fund Staff Federal Credit Union
Communications Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 20, 2015
During my time at Bank Fund Staff Federal Credit Union I learned many skills that I will carry with me throughout the duration of my career. The people I worked with were great and the environment was also excellent. I did not entirely believe in how the management was run there, nor do I believe they were fair.
Organization with Noble Objectives, but Terrible Management and Culture
Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington DCApril 5, 2015
Getting worse every day, culture of playing favorites, relationships driven, and managers who should be politicians...really not qualified for their jobs, not caring for staff at all, just want to survive in the ever "changing" organization and keep their own jobs!
Pros
Diversity of national cultures, smart people, social life, inspiring objectives
Cons
5-8 meetings per day mostly internal including unit retreats, town hall meetings with presidents and VP, book reviews, team lunches, all hands meetings with new directors and managers changing every year, self-serving outcomes - not client focused. Very far away from poor countries' needs, centralizing in DC instead of decentralizing, etc.
Opportunity to assist governments in developing countries to strengthen their financial systems
Senior Financial Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 27, 2015
The work has wide spectrum: from monitoring the financial affairs of individual projects to assisting government to improve their financial management systems. The work requires intensive travel
Pros
varied job responsibilities
Cons
intensive travel and lack of work/life balance
Assertive, proactive, full of empathy
South Asia Human Development Sector (Former Employee) –  1818 H Street, Washington, DCJanuary 14, 2015
I have now retired from the World Bank and am currently working as a consultant. The Bank is a phenomenal place to work. All enjoyed every aspect of my work at the bank as a program assistant. This scope of work is similar to what one would do as an administrative assistant. I provide administrative and logistical support to project teams, including sector managers, sector directors and project team leaders. I worked at the Bank for over 20 years and retired in 2012.
Pros
professional job setting
Cons
long drive to work
Great work environment
Senior Course Administrator and Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 9, 2014
The World Bank is a great place to work. The diversity and culture in this Organization is unparalleled.

One gets exposed to all the different cultures of the World, and work towards one common goal.
Pros
great work environment
A great place to work. Like The Bank's mission of ending extreme poverty
Africa Development Effectiveness (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 1, 2014
8:00-8:30
• I hope I have time for this
3. Sort through my e-mail
• Delete worthless messages
• Answer emails
• Sort out those that require more time or extra work to answer
– move them to my to-do list.

8:30-10:30
Since this is my most productive time of day I try to tackle my most demanding project.
This is when I would write important letters, work on a report for the school board, update
or refine a data sheet.

11:00
Great time for meetings. This is a nice to take a break from desk work and it has a
definite end time (lunch)

12:00
Lunch (Away from my desk, because I need to refresh and rejuvenate)

1:00
Return phone calls, respond to emails, work on to-do list

2:30-4:00
Do data entry, send or pay bills, prepare mailings, things that are more routine and
don’t require as much energy. This is a good time to get routine jobs complete.

4:00-5:00
Burst of final effort to complete my to-do list. Sort out things that can be moved
to tomorrow’s list. This time of day is my best ‘sorting’ time – complete short,
easy projects, request information from others for my projects, clean off my desk, etc.

In between all of this I answer the phone and deal with the immediate needs of customers and co-workers. As the face of the business, it is important that I handle interruptions to my schedule with graciousness and unruffled efficiency.
Pros
travelling
Cons
healthcare
A great and interesting place to work
Search Operational Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 9, 2014
The World Bank is an amazing place to work: great environment, diverse culture .There are so many incredibly talented, intelligent, educated people from every corner of the planet. The institution is like a job-university because there are always various training programs, workshops, community gathering provided to teach and educate its employees.
Pros
great learning opportunities
Cons
limit opportunities for growth
Productive, fun, international
Junior Professional Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 19, 2014
The job culture, compensation and work/life balance is unsurpassable. You get a lot of exposure, learn about policy or any topic of interest, and they actively provided access to all sorts of cool events, symposiums, conferences. They also include a budget for professional development in employees' package. There is also a lot of collaboration amongst coworkers and other departments/organizations, and a lot of international politics and negotiations. You also get to meet high-level people from all over the world, and make friends with coworkers from all over the world.

In terms of job security and advancement, it is average. They have lately been using these short-term contracts that makes it hard to feel secure or advance. Even for people who are staff, they seem to be insecure about advancing, which in turn affects quality of management also. However, this is a 15000 employee organization so it is hard to generalize and it is situation specific.
Productive, great work environment
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 6, 2014
calm relaxed environment
pleasure of working with clients all over the world
management great, laid back
Exceptionally rich environment, stimulating work, great colleagues and great opportunity
Senior Operations Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 4, 2014
The World Bank is a great place to work. Having started out at a relatively low level, I was given the opportunity to advance and to become more deeply involved with projects in multiple countries. The work was not only satisfying, but rich in every way possible -- working with great colleagues from all over the world, designing and working on projects in multi-ethnic environments, and most of all, knowing my work was aiding numerous peoples with the greatest possible needs.

If that wasn't enough, I was also given the opportunity to expand my skills enormously -- becoming involved in portfolio monitoring and management, and taking a greater role in the Bank's ultimate goals of project outcomes and impact.
Pros
opportunity to travel and experience different cultures and enviornments, working with diverse and fantastic colleagues, satisfying and rewarding work, working for an oranization with strong values and vision.
Cons
being away for such long and frequent amounts of times, eventually became an impediment to other pursuits.
Lovely place
Consultant, Private/Financial Sectors Development (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 12, 2014
very helpful and knowledgeable colleges, that could always direct you
OK organization, decent salary but terrible culture and management
Consultant - Services and Competitiveness (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 3, 2014
OK organization, decent salary but terrible culture and management
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
cero possibilities to grow, unless you happen to be the favorite of your manager

4.2