Theory Employee Reviews

Terrible work environment
Visual & Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 22, 2017
Theory was a disappointing brand to work for due to the lack of professionalism and toxic work environment . I was really excited to become a part of the organization as I had personally and professionally bought the brand for many years , but once I got behind closed doors it was not an inspiring experience.
Pros
salary and discounts
Cons
poor management
A fast paced, social environment focused around sports, friends, and food/drinks
Hostess/Server/Security (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 14, 2017
Theory is a everything a restaurant/bar in the heart of Chicago should be. It provides an atmosphere that strives to give every customer what they want. My typical work day was greeting and engaging with hundreds of different people, and making sure that their time at our restaurant was enjoyable. The staff and management all had the common goal of making "big things" happen each day, meaning with each person that came in was a chance to make someone's day great.
Pros
If you like sports, will never miss the game, half off food and drinks, great staff and management
Cons
No benefits, dealing with intoxicated customers
Management is everything
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CASeptember 12, 2017
With the right management, it was a fun, exciting, fresh place to work at.They made it competitive, but not overbearing. They made it a welcome place for ideas and input. They listened to their employees.
Theory
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CASeptember 10, 2017
No progression plans available. Long hours with low pay. Unprofessional work environment., Assaults happened on numerous occassions. over worked and under trained, low staffed on busy holidays, sometimes the managers and associates were not allotted a proper lunch and or break time in compliance to california law
Pros
clothing allowance
Cons
everything else thwt actually mattered
People in this organization lack morals and the ability to lead without ensuring there is something in it for themselves
Flagship General Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 6, 2017
Working for Theory taught me a lot. It taught me about the leader I do not want to be, it taught me that retail overall is a relentless and demanding field, and that you are seldom rewarded with uplifting and promoting, but instead forever met with the question of what else can you do? Through time at Theory I experienced catty behavior and the back stabbing nature of women who were trying to get ahead by walking all over their subordinates. Theory is the reason I chose to leave the retail industry, despite the fact that I did truly love managing.
Unpredictable Work Enviroment
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 24, 2017
Working in retail is always said to have its ups and downs, but management at the location I was at was especially fluctuant. For a few months you would have a great manager, then someone really awful, followed by someone who wasn't very motivated. This had a huge impact on the work environment.
Fast paced and Creative
Regional Merchandising Manager - West Coast (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 12, 2017
Overall great experience. There were some extremely talented individuals working there at that time. Great product and locations to travel for work.
Theory
Retail Operations Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 7, 2017
It has been such a pleasure to work alongside a group of dynamic and collaborative people who have offered friendship, support and encouragement along the way and who have allowed me to grow both professionally and personally.
It all depends who you work for.
Assistant Mgr (Current Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJJuly 6, 2017
Its an OK place to work. However, depending on who you work for there may be a whole bunch of things that will make no sense and will make you question how did this individual you are reporting to became a manager.
Pros
weekends off
Cons
A few Managers don't know what managing is about.
Young and dynamic company
Cost Accountant (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJMay 10, 2017
Multi million global fashion retail company. Many young, self motivated people.
Good benefits and 1/2 Friday in the summer. Very knowledgeable management.
DM runs district like a DICTATOR!!!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesMay 1, 2017
My career with Theory started off great, I had a great leader and the future was promising. The company realigned and every single thing went downhill. A specific leader was a complete Dictator, absolutely one of the most awful retail experiences I have ever had to encounter in my over 10 yrs of being a Store Manager. There is nothing pleasant about this person and the company has lost some of the best leaders due the Dictator. This company has extremely high expectations and would not recommend this company to anyone. Extremely high levels of stress related to this job. Would not allow managers leave store to take 30 min breaks due to coverage. This went on for many months.
Pros
Clothing allowance
Cons
could not leave store to take lunch breaks, high expectations, dictator leadership, micro-managed, HR is one sided, no open door policy
Innovative Company
Product & Trim Development Assist/Trim Buyer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 2, 2017
Overall it is a great company.
I learned so much for the 12 years I was at Theory. the growth of the company was amazing. The work place culture are all team players.
Awful
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Central Valley, NYJanuary 5, 2017
Terrible leadership, they play favorites, very immature environment, extremely unprofessional. The pay is good and the allowance is decent. I'd never work for them again.
Tough to work for but you learn a lot
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 21, 2016
Pros: Good base pay plus bonus structure for upper managers, Great discount, Decent wardrobe allowance, Good clothing styles, Learn a lot about managing all aspects of a business.

Cons: Terrible field leadership, Unrealistic expectations on the store level, Corporate usually drops the ball, Product is "nice" and stylish but all made in china and the price just seems to continue to increase, Hardly any work/life balance, Barely any movement if you start at the store level, Corporate owned now so company is now cheap and strict about every little thing you could think of.
Productive and innovative brand to collaborate with!
Designer/Artist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 26, 2016
In November 2016 ‘Theory’ and RUSE released their first design collaboration. RUSE was hand selected by Theory’s CEO to be the first artist to collaborate with their brand new accessory and purse division. It was great working with a brand as sophisticated as Theory! The management team/my points of contact at Theory were all kind and innovative people!
easy going atmosphere where everyone knows everyone
picker,inventory, shipping receiving (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJNovember 11, 2016
great place to work and good hours if looking for a full time day job. Start at 8am and finish by 4:30pm Monday thru Friday. Great bosses and no stress.
Pros
adequate breaktimes
Cons
workplace romances
Average place to work for
Pattern Maker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 4, 2016
This is a big company and needs tighter management and oversee, many places to trim expenses and should not be at the expense of an employee.

Internal waste is obvious and could save the company loads of cash if managed well.
Pros
Big company
Cons
Not a family culture
Productive and Fun
Operations/HR Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 16, 2016
A day in the life at Theory is a wonderful place. Not only is it balanced with the right amount of work and play, it is a place to celebrate the love of fashion. Everyone is a team player. No one is beneath anyone else. We all work together to achieve a common goal, and that is making sure everyone who enters Theory, leaves happy and satisfied. As head of operations, I am lucky to be able to travel and work events. Which is by far the most fun thing I have ever done in a retail setting. Everyday is a learning experience. From tracking what comes through our doors and out to handling inventory. It's a great place for anyone with organizational skills to work their magic to get everything running smoothly.
Amazing workplace with great management
A Sales Professional (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2016
My store, which just opened up April 1st, has already exceeded store expectations and goals 3X times over expected sales. Motivating and empowering management.
Pros
Coffee, Snacks in the back, great commission
Cons
Long shifts due to short operating hours
Horrible management
Scale operator (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJJanuary 26, 2016
Former shipping worker in lyndhurst facility. Worst managers I've ever encountered. Treated like a sub human unless you are an office worker or management. Downright horrible place to work and wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy. The warehouse manager is a horrible human being who lies, cheats and insults his way through everyday.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else