Thermo Fisher Scientific

Thermo Fisher Scientific Employee Reviews in United States

Love what I do
Document Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grand Island, NYMay 25, 2016
▪ Coordinated the workflow of manufacturing batch records. Perform activities within the Document management function associated with the review of manufacturing records, related Documentation and product disposition in the current ERP, laboratory systems and Excel. ▪ Maintained filing of completed batch records, update inventory databases for all products on Site to ensure accurate and timely availability for client use, and assist internal customers in the
Retrieval of records ▪ Role requires high attention to detail, excellent organizational skills and high communication Between internal and overseas departments and facilities
▪ Daily use of Microsoft Office Suite
Great science and great people make this a welcoming work environment
Associate Scientist II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 18, 2016
The R&D culture at the Austin Thermo Fisher site is very inclusive. The employees are welcoming and collaborative, and frequent group meetings and presentations keep everyone's work in progress, by celebrating the successes and crowd-sourcing troubleshooting ideas when needed. This was my first industry position, and I have learned a great deal about business in my time at Thermo Fisher, and I think it has made me a much stronger scientist overall.
Pros
Strong culture that supports work-life balance
Cons
Contract work meant my time here was limited
It's all about the people you work with. Awesome people.
Test Technician I / Electro Mechanical Assembler (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXFebruary 13, 2016
A good team can accomplish anything. When Management acted as part of a team made up of Associates; Technicians; Engineers; QC, problems got solved in record time. All the stumbling blocks that get in the way of achieving goals (e.g., on time deliveries) were examined and distributed to the team members to resolve. Any problems that could not be resolved within a day would be escalated to a higher level team made up of managers. If the problems were big enough they would make it all the way to the top tier. The issues would get solved within a few days rather than getting shelved. All the activity would happen in a series of stand up meetings through out the work day, everyday. Solutions weren't easy, but solutions were found. Goals achieved and exceeded.
Pros
Tier Stand Up Meetings
Cons
Stress
enjoyable workplace besides the lack of job security
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NYMay 10, 2016
any and all coworkers i had while previously employed was very well received by me, they were very team oriented and never let one person fall beneath the rest. i learned so much in my time there as can be seen in my resume, and would have loved to learn even more. the restrictions placed on me for being a temp was very upsetting due to the fact that not being able to operate a forklift other than the electric, hand operated one, made me less capable than all others i worked with but never made me feel less important to the team. i, however, must include that my experience with the supervising part of my department wasn't very well. i was released under contract by two different supervisors for reasons that were entirely unjust. based on the amount of work i did and the productivity i had, citing my reason for dismissal as "performance issues" was very incredible and made me feel as though my abilities needed to be put to better use somewhere else.
Professional and relaxed place to work
Document Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grand Island, NYJune 16, 2016
I would come in before my shift which is 8:30am. I would go get water and coffee before I log into my computer to bring up the requires systems to do my job. My co-workers are okay. They all were dedicated to the work and maintaining good standing in our department. Management could be better. There needs to be better communication. The hardest part of the job is knowing that it is only temporary. I like working with the computer and reviewing documents and reports.
Pros
Close to home, decent pay, I like what I do
Cons
It is a temp job, not much room for growth for my skill set
Avoid this Company
Engineer, Software (Former Employee) –  Franklin, MAMarch 28, 2016
Engineers are pressured into coming up with unrealistic schedules and then get in trouble if they don't meet the schedules. Products are released with inadequate testing due to no test plans and the engineers are blamed for the resultant bugs. We had stand-up meetings every morning at 9:00, attendance was taken right at 9:00 and you wouldn't get counted if you were more than a few seconds late, and you'd get in trouble for being late too many times. And the pay is low.
Pros
Good coworkers and interesting products.
Cons
Poor management.
Great Place to work
Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaJuly 27, 2015
Thermo is a great place to work. The benefits are outstanding, and the work/life balance is great as well.

The only thing that I do not like is the pay scale in certain areas is slow to rise. Get your money up front, because it will take years to make significant jumps.

Advancement is available, but it really depends on which segment you are in.
Pros
You make your own schedule
Cons
slow advancement for service
With career progression it could be worthwhile
Materials Handler (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAJune 20, 2015
I actually worked for them as a hire from a temp agency. When I was only offered a $.50 raise per hour to join the company I knew it was time to go.
The job was very demanding, and required skills valued higher than what they were willing to offer. Worked daily with hazardous materials, and packaged them in accordance with DOT standards for shipment.
The good part is that the manager on site and all the personnel were friendly, courteous, and professional.
I would work for this company again if I saw opportunities for progression.
Meeting the quantity requirements was difficult, in the few months I was there I had almost met them. More importantly, I did not have any accidents, and the pace combined with the handling of hazardous materials called for skilled personnel with quality warehousing experience to meet the demand.
Some slight flexibility in breaks was a plus though. Find a good stopping point, take a few minutes and then proceed.
Pros
flexible breaks, friendly work climate
Cons
healthcare, short lunch, salary
Quality Undetermined
QC Associate (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDJune 13, 2016
The work/life balance was great. My personal supervisor in Quality Control was the best I ever had.The co-workers I had were great. The job I had was actually enjoyable. The only thing I would have changed was to add a database like LIMS to take care of the day to day metrics, which also would have put me out of a job.
The management staff is willing to waste hours of the day for "Metrics" meetings but is not willing to spend the money on a comprehensive database to get that job done. Nepotism is VERY obvious and husband/wife teams tag-team the quality organization and make progress difficult. The site is focused on continuous improvement but does little to implement changes. The staff is required to dress in clean room attire, yet there is no air handling system to qualify the area as a clean room.
Quality is also not separated from manufacturing so the floor will constantly ask quality to bend over backwards to do R&D's job; and they get their way. It's questionable, but that's Thermo.
Pros
Quality Supervisor, Co-workers, Flexible schedule
Cons
Quality is the R&D of the company/ No concept of what QC should do
Entry-level biotechnology experience
Chemical Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAAugust 5, 2016
A typical day at work begins with recording one's production goal for the day. After that, solutions that will be used throughout the day will need to be prepared. The assembling of chromatography columns will then begin, as well as the packing of them with specific types of resin. After the packing, the different methods of testing start. At the end of the testing, data is interpreted and analyzed.
Pros
Good company picnics, many overtime hours
Cons
Working conditions/environment can be harmful
Upper management is abysmal.
Many positions. (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 11, 2016
I have worked at this company for over 10 years. In that time I have seen management come and go. This round of current management is just deplorable. Treating employees like they are in a prison is the only description I can come up with. It seems that this current batch of 'upper management' is obsessed with bending the company policy only when it benefits them. I would strongly urge folks to look elsewhere if they want to be happy with their job.
Pros
Not much to like these days.
Cons
Upper management is unreasonable.
Learning Experience
Pharma-Logistics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Swedesboro, NJOctober 7, 2015
A great company to work for with a lot to learn. Not much room for advancement but a comfortable environment altogether.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No room for advancement
Great Job
Consumables Pricing Admin Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NYJune 10, 2015
Thermo fisher is a well respected organization. I am very happy to have worked for Thermo Fisher. The work balance was one of the major benefits while working there. I had a lot of opportunities to grow and develop professionally.
The hardest part of my daily job responsibilities was the fact that some policies needed reworking in order for more consistency. That would have made my job easier but it definitely kept me busy and challenged.
Pros
Interoffice events, pay, work life balance
Cons
One evening shift required weekly in order to provide support to our west coast customers
laid back atmosphere, great coworkers and supervisors.
Test technician/assembly (Current Employee) –  Franklin, MAAugust 15, 2016
Calm, slow paced work environment, great supervisors and friendly work place. Due to Thermo Fisher Scientific being such a large company, I find that the top brass don't really care about their workers. They take way too long to hire temps on permanently and don't pay enough for the work we do. I don't necessarily like the way they do things here but the environment makes up for that a bit in the sense that it's very comfortable and everyone here is friendly.
OK Place to work
Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 15, 2016
Thermo Scientific used to be a great place to work when the division here was doing well. There is a lot of regular management restructuring and they have been cutting back personnel on a regular basis for about 5 years or so. They pay well, but the health insurance/benefits is not good if you need it. This is also not the place for someone who desires a good work-life balance due to all the staffing cut backs that have left most areas short-staffed. The general environment and culture has deteriorated, but there are still a lot of good people there. I would not recommend this location within Thermo due to this overall decline.
Great job but company closed
Autoclave Technician, Videojet Operator (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAJune 7, 2016
Great company to work for. The company downsized and moved to the other main companies in Lenexa, Kansas. I worked a 10 hour day and was off on Friday. I packaged products which consisted of live organisms. I labeled the products with the videojet. Products were then packaged into the appropriate packaging and stored in quarantine until passed by the Quality Control. Was shipped to customers once passed by our QC lab.
Benefits
Cons
Closed business
Micromanaged
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Asheville, OHMay 19, 2015
Could have more room for growth as a company and as an employee only if management would encourage and support it.

Good pay, insurance benefits are high and not the best.

Seen the company go through a lot of different managers over the years, some move on to try their hand in other divisions or departments while others just move on to better things.

Low moral at times

more stressful than other jobs I have had but there is still potential for improvement that gives hope things will improve
Pros
pay, paid vacation
Cons
high healthcare cost and lack of opportunity to advance or improvement inprove the processes
Downstream - Lots of work, but not forced to work OT
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 2, 2016
Good place to work overall. It is the team members that make it interesting. Management could use some guidance how to train, improve, and improve their team. Some people have sat in the same jobs for 5+ years. OT isn't forced on you but there are times when the work load is quite high for the team that they have.
Pros
Cross training. During OT, you get food a good deal of the time
Cons
Long hours during the peak periods
Good place to start a career in industry
Scientist (Current Employee) –  Grand Island, NYDecember 8, 2015
Good learning environment especially when switching from academia to industry job. Good work-life balance. Conservative environment and as much politics as can be expected from a large company.
Pros
friendly and supportive environment
Cons
career advancement opportunities
Thermo Fisher is a great company with job security
Sr. Buyer/Planner (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDMarch 26, 2016
The work day will be busy but rewarding. Thermo Fisher prides itself with Kaizen initiatives and strategic growth.
I learned MRP Solutions and worked closely with manufacturing. The company is diverse and has many global opportunities.
The hardest part of the job was managing the many SKUs in the system.
Pros
Job security

Thermo Fisher Scientific Reviews by Location