Things Remembered Employee Reviews in United States

Good job for young professionals
Store Manager; Assistant Manager; Engraver (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 16, 2016
On a typical day I will assist customers with their gifts and personalization needs for any occasion; while up-selling and offering other promotions. In between customers I will engrave all orders taken throughout the day or previous days, put out stock, check-in shipments, take care of any paper work that needs to be done for the day, train or coach sales associates either during shifts or at shift changes, make any visual changes, clean and organize.
Pros
Co-workers, Customers, Ability to move up
Cons
Compensation, Work alone most the time
Sales Associate and Engraver
Part-Time Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 14, 2016
Great place to work for! The compensation could be better but overall, a great company. I like the fact that our stores work together to get product to our customers, i.e. product check and shipping between stores. We have lots of returning customers and we take pride in the work that we do. There are a number of floor set changes and constant changes in promotions; almost weekly.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Compensation
Overall not a horrible company to work for, but little opportunity for advancement.
Management (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaFebruary 24, 2016
Not a lot of opportunity for advancement in my area, corporate office is not great with communication or resolving issues. Benefits are fairly good.
Pros
Healthcare, paid time off.
Cons
Lack of competence in upper management, lack of opportunity for advancement.
Retail environment
Customer Service/Support (Former Employee) –  North Jackson, OHMarch 16, 2016
They are a typical retail company that has quite the seasons with overtime with no days off for 20 days straight last Christmas season. Their raises are literally no more than 3% of your pay every year. They just treat you like a number and could care less about you as a person.
Great Place to Work and Great for Gaining Sales Experience
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Monroeville, PAJanuary 29, 2016
I love the work environment. This job is great at teaching selling techniques and they give you sales goals and weekly feedback so you can improve. It is also very open and friendly. You can see how management works and how the company runs.
Pros
Good Work Environment, Good Benefits
Cons
Constant Floor and Sale Changes
Great Entry Into Retail
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 20, 2016
I started at a different location as a Sales Associate years before transferring to this location for a different position. A typical day consists of greeting customers, getting them started on a workorder, trying to sell them on various special offers, up-selling on engraving enchancements, ringing up their orders, trying to sell them membership and engraving their orders as well most of the time by yourself on single coverage until someone comes to break you and then do this cycle themselves during the nighttime. I loved engraving customer's orders and everything, what bums me out is the high bar from upper management. They want you to get a whole list of things done but still always focus on the customer/sales first when you're basically by yourself most of the time. If you end up with double coverage, meaning the company actually gives your store enough hrs, that's amazing but its not always the case. Training hrs are little as well and most of the time you have to train during business hrs which is disappointing and hard to do when you have customers demanding your full undivided attention. I do recommend this company as far as starting out in retail as a Sales Associate but just be careful where you hang your hat if you decide to try to advance to an Assistant Manager or Manager position.
Pros
Helping people create beautiful messages, learning to engrave, good benefits
Cons
Single coverage, not enough hours given to staff, visuals/marketing changes too often.
Awesome work enviroment
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Slidell, LADecember 14, 2015
Its a great place to work. Great training from managers and great opportunity for advancement. Great benefits are offered and great work conditions.
productive and fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  arcadia, CASeptember 25, 2015
fun area to work in and many goals to fill each day. management was very supportive and motivational. everyday there was new task and more to learn from. it was a small store so it was rare that i worked alongside another worker, however i do enjoy working and learning with others.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no benefits
No work life balance
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 17, 2015
Single coverage 80% of the time. No quality of life. No work life balance. Low salary for expectations. Quality of product company sells has recently gone down-hill.
Fun and Easy
Customer Service Specialist and Gift Engraver (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COMay 9, 2015
My main position here was as a customer service specialist and gift engraver. In addition, I also helped clean, stock, and organize the store, and managed the cash drawer during most shifts.

I learned about managing and balancing a cash drawer and handling some uncomfortable and stressful situations with customers.

Management was easy to talk to, trustworthy and reliable, while also being straight forward and setting concrete and reasonable expectations.

My co-workers were fun and easy to get along with.

My only complaints about this job were the part-time hours, lack of benefits, and low income.
Pros
Great management and co-workers, fun environment, work/home life separation
Cons
Lack of benefits, low income

Want to know more about Things Remembered?

Ask a question
Fun customers bad company culture
assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAJanuary 15, 2016
A typical day is trying to sell as much of everything as you can as well as aggressively trying to sell their purchase with a purchase cheap items and their membership that costs $10 to join.
If you aren't aggressive about it and follow their script there will be serious repercussions.
I learned not to trust management. Cover your back side, always.
Management lies. They are under pressure to meet sales and they will walk all over whoever they have to in order to meet the goals or the District Manager literally has a meltdown.
Co-workers that aren't management, awesome group that were very nice.
Hardest part of the job, biting your tongue when management chooses to yell at you in front of customers and talk about your performance behind your back, in front of other employees who then tell you what was said. THAT is their culture.
The most enjoyable part of the job, leaving.
Keep track of your hours, your breaks, because oh yeah, they don't give you one.
And put everything in writing that you can verify.
STILL TRYING TO FORGET THINGS REMEMBERED!
Pros
Cons
No breaks, verbal abuse, unrealistic goals, no integrity in management
Life is cheap here
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 8, 2016
As a store manager I have to say this is one of the worst places. This is unfortunate because there is a high satisfaction quotient when customers see their personalized items. This company has scaled back their expenditures at the cost of proper staffing. All positions are part time and you are always guaranteed to be working alone. Breaks are non-existent including bathroom. DM and RM management often fail miserably to support their territories. ANY customer problems are ALWAYS the staff's fault. Left there working 70+hour weeks getting paid for 40.
Pros
Cons
poor pay, no breaks, no support
Things Remembered as a company is great.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 8, 2016
Things remembered is a great company to work for. I appreciate the opportunity to work and learn from this company as an Assistant Store Manager. With New management comes new rules and it just was not what I had signed on for. The only thing negative about this job was trying to find the time to take a lunch break. most days you work alone so you can not close down. The most enjoyable part of this job was the day to day face to face with the customers.
Pros
To be a part of the customers special occasions.
Cons
No breaks
Company wants a lot with very little in return
Part Time Seasonal Associate / Engraver (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 20, 2015
I worked for this company for a while and even part time means full time with no benefits... This might have been cutting edge at one point the system most definitely needs an update,

The home office doesn't do a very good job supporting its staff with customer orders that were placed online and most orders are done blindly by home office. Meaning that most of the time items were scratched or took way too long even with express shipping.

Most of the time the area managers don't do more than email the store and sales promotions are always better online than in store and people do their home work and then come in expecting the same and its not.

Just not a fun place...

OH and holiday hours! during Christmas I worked mainly 1pm -1 or 2 am during christmas because of poor seasonal training too! that whole place let me bitter
Pros
Sometimes nice customers
Cons
no breaks because of single coverage
Fun and unpredictable
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXMarch 2, 2016
Everyday is an enjoyable experience creating memorably gifts for our customer. Their expressions and joy when they come back to pick up the gifts.
Learning new ways to be creative.
Our district have the most supportive peers and management staff.
Coworkers and alike are like family members..It takes a team to be successful.
Pros
Learning and creating new ideas consistanly
Cons
To short of training period and hours when trying to staff at peak business. (Christmas Holidays)
Interesting Job
customer service (Former Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLJanuary 20, 2016
*Most managers work a 10-12 hr day minimum to keep up with the workload.
*Custom engraving. The importance of good customer service, sales, production, store up keep & inventory.
*Store management was reasonable in distributing the workload & schedules, upper management not so much.
*Co-workers were great and created an enjoyable work atmosphere. *Getting everything done, with too few hands to complete the job.
*Seeing the customers face when picking up their finished product.
Pros
Great Co-workers
Cons
Low pay for high performance expectations
Lots of down time. Focused organized tasks, engraving
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 18, 2016
I work by myself, so i run the entire store by myself. My manager leaves me tasks to complete that normally an ASM would do because we currently dont have one. We usually have a few engraving orders a day unless is a holiday weekend. The hardest part about this job is the amount of down time we do have because I like to be busy. The best part about this job is my co-workers and manager. They are so fun and caring to work with.
Pros
Helping customers
Cons
Down time, No breaks
it was okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARApril 4, 2015
it started off just for a seasonal and loved working there because it was out in the open. It gets kind of boring because there are just a lot people walking by and just looking. I think my experience working there would have been a lot better if i didn't have the district manager that was there. I tried moving up to asst. manager and she put me as "acting asst manager" for a few months and only got paid 9.50 when asst managers get like 11.00 per hour and benefits. I got tried of trying to get the job, because she had a different excuse every time i ask her about it. But I know she didn't hire me for the actual position because she thought I was too young,(i was the youngest there) which i don't think age matters as long as you can be a leader and get the job done. Other than that I liked working there i liked the managers and all the other employees respected me as the "acting asst manager".
Pros
good pay, seasonal 8.00, acting asst manager 9.50
Cons
standing the whole shift, small area
Not an ideal job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJMarch 30, 2016
- Work usually 6 out of 7 days
- Short hours per day (not set hours as per morning, evening)
- Not a set 40 hours (Fluctuates 30-40)
- No balance of work/life (calls outside of work)
- No breaks, single coverage

- Create memorable gifts for customers
- Management Level
Good job.....If you're up to the challenge
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJune 23, 2016
Great place to learn customer satisfaction, but with little staff of about 6-10 people, almost any holiday is rough. Having to stay very late after hours to finish engraving for the next day. Trying to balance other life commitments like school is incredibly difficult.
Pros
40% Employee Discount, Learning to make unique gifts with engraver
Cons
Small staff, Life balancing. Staying anywhere from 12 A.M.-3 A.M during holidays