Things Remembered Employee Reviews in United States

Overall not a horrible company to work for, but little opportunity for advancement.
Management (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaFebruary 24, 2016
Not a lot of opportunity for advancement in my area, corporate office is not great with communication or resolving issues. Benefits are fairly good.
Pros
Healthcare, paid time off.
Cons
Lack of competence in upper management, lack of opportunity for advancement.
Sales Associate and Engraver
Part-Time Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 14, 2016
Great place to work for! The compensation could be better but overall, a great company. I like the fact that our stores work together to get product to our customers, i.e. product check and shipping between stores. We have lots of returning customers and we take pride in the work that we do. There are a number of floor set changes and constant changes in promotions; almost weekly.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Compensation
Good job for young professionals
Store Manager; Assistant Manager; Engraver (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 16, 2016
On a typical day I will assist customers with their gifts and personalization needs for any occasion; while up-selling and offering other promotions. In between customers I will engrave all orders taken throughout the day or previous days, put out stock, check-in shipments, take care of any paper work that needs to be done for the day, train or coach sales associates either during shifts or at shift changes, make any visual changes, clean and organize.
Pros
Co-workers, Customers, Ability to move up
Cons
Compensation, Work alone most the time
Fun customers bad company culture
assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAJanuary 15, 2016
A typical day is trying to sell as much of everything as you can as well as aggressively trying to sell their purchase with a purchase cheap items and their membership that costs $10 to join.
If you aren't aggressive about it and follow their script there will be serious repercussions.
I learned not to trust management. Cover your back side, always.
Management lies. They are under pressure to meet sales and they will walk all over whoever they have to in order to meet the goals or the District Manager literally has a meltdown.
Co-workers that aren't management, awesome group that were very nice.
Hardest part of the job, biting your tongue when management chooses to yell at you in front of customers and talk about your performance behind your back, in front of other employees who then tell you what was said. THAT is their culture.
The most enjoyable part of the job, leaving.
Keep track of your hours, your breaks, because oh yeah, they don't give you one.
And put everything in writing that you can verify.
STILL TRYING TO FORGET THINGS REMEMBERED!
Pros
Cons
No breaks, verbal abuse, unrealistic goals, no integrity in management
Retail environment
Customer Service/Support (Former Employee) –  North Jackson, OHMarch 16, 2016
They are a typical retail company that has quite the seasons with overtime with no days off for 20 days straight last Christmas season. Their raises are literally no more than 3% of your pay every year. They just treat you like a number and could care less about you as a person.
Great Place to Work and Great for Gaining Sales Experience
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Monroeville, PAJanuary 29, 2016
I love the work environment. This job is great at teaching selling techniques and they give you sales goals and weekly feedback so you can improve. It is also very open and friendly. You can see how management works and how the company runs.
Pros
Good Work Environment, Good Benefits
Cons
Constant Floor and Sale Changes
Great Store Staff in Retail Environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAJuly 29, 2016
I brought my managerial skills with me from previous positions and learned how to engrave products. I enjoyed the creative side of engraving products and helping customers find that one-of-a-kind unique gift for specific occasions.

The toughest part about the position is that I was required to have flexible availability, but only guaranteed the minimum amount of FT hours per state law. There also wasn't much for local advancement opportunities. I liked the job, but ultimately out grew my role and needed a new challenge, therefore accepting a different management role with another company.
Pros
Bonus Incentives, Creativity Enouraged
Cons
Solitary Work Environment, No local advancement opportunities
Productive fast paced work
Production Trainer/Work Cell Leader (Current Employee) –  North Jackson, OHAugust 17, 2016
A typical day at work is coming in and producing as much as possible while mainting high quality. My job duties are batching work and passing out work in an orderly mannor where I can get out as many pieces as possible in one shift. I assist people with questions on how to operate machines or produce certain products. I'm responsible for hitting daily goals.
Management can be is always looking for more out of you.
My co-workers are amazing. They make the job fun.
The hardest part of the job is during christmas season. It is mandatory 7 10 hour shifts. It makes it hard to enjoy christmas season and you have no time to spend with your family.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when you get that one engraving that comes out beautiful and you know when the customer sees it they are going to be ecstatic over it.
Pros
Close to home, co-workers, 40+ hours a week
Cons
Christmas season, raises, overall wage
Fun and unpredictable
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXMarch 2, 2016
Everyday is an enjoyable experience creating memorably gifts for our customer. Their expressions and joy when they come back to pick up the gifts.
Learning new ways to be creative.
Our district have the most supportive peers and management staff.
Coworkers and alike are like family members..It takes a team to be successful.
Pros
Learning and creating new ideas consistanly
Cons
To short of training period and hours when trying to staff at peak business. (Christmas Holidays)
Life is cheap here
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 8, 2016
As a store manager I have to say this is one of the worst places. This is unfortunate because there is a high satisfaction quotient when customers see their personalized items. This company has scaled back their expenditures at the cost of proper staffing. All positions are part time and you are always guaranteed to be working alone. Breaks are non-existent including bathroom. DM and RM management often fail miserably to support their territories. ANY customer problems are ALWAYS the staff's fault. Left there working 70+hour weeks getting paid for 40.
Pros
Cons
poor pay, no breaks, no support
Great Entry Into Retail
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 20, 2016
I started at a different location as a Sales Associate years before transferring to this location for a different position. A typical day consists of greeting customers, getting them started on a workorder, trying to sell them on various special offers, up-selling on engraving enchancements, ringing up their orders, trying to sell them membership and engraving their orders as well most of the time by yourself on single coverage until someone comes to break you and then do this cycle themselves during the nighttime. I loved engraving customer's orders and everything, what bums me out is the high bar from upper management. They want you to get a whole list of things done but still always focus on the customer/sales first when you're basically by yourself most of the time. If you end up with double coverage, meaning the company actually gives your store enough hrs, that's amazing but its not always the case. Training hrs are little as well and most of the time you have to train during business hrs which is disappointing and hard to do when you have customers demanding your full undivided attention. I do recommend this company as far as starting out in retail as a Sales Associate but just be careful where you hang your hat if you decide to try to advance to an Assistant Manager or Manager position.
Pros
Helping people create beautiful messages, learning to engrave, good benefits
Cons
Single coverage, not enough hours given to staff, visuals/marketing changes too often.
Too much work for single coverage! Stressful!
High volume store manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 3, 2016
Management positions are difficult-too much to do with continual cutting of store hours. Sales associates have it the easiest.

Typical day-No true breaks including lunch. A bite here and there if you are able. Management has to mainly work on single coverage. You have to help customers-run back to engraver (Have to complete within short time period so customers can take with them)-run back to help customers who came in PLUS pull and engrave online orders that come through your store. Utterly Crazy working environment.

If you enjoy no work/life balance, lots of stress and low pay then you will love Things Remembered!
Pros
Customers
Cons
No work/life balance, lots of stress, no breaks, low pay
Learning the art of how to engrave
Engraver/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Township of Deptford, NJJuly 7, 2016
Around the holidays it can be VERY VERY busy, which is understandable considering its a personalization store. On the schedule it would say you were working a 12 hour shift, but you would end up working past closing, throughout the night, and possibly until the next morning until opening.
Someone I know has been there for quite a while, is the only one in school, and yet the manager at the time told them that their job would be on the line if they wanted to take off only one day a week when they're open only 7 hours that day (sundays) and work every day of the rest of the week.
Pros
discount, making friends with friendly people
Cons
working over night/well past your shift, working without breaks
Things Remembered as a company is great.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 8, 2016
Things remembered is a great company to work for. I appreciate the opportunity to work and learn from this company as an Assistant Store Manager. With New management comes new rules and it just was not what I had signed on for. The only thing negative about this job was trying to find the time to take a lunch break. most days you work alone so you can not close down. The most enjoyable part of this job was the day to day face to face with the customers.
Pros
To be a part of the customers special occasions.
Cons
No breaks
Interesting Job
customer service (Former Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLJanuary 20, 2016
*Most managers work a 10-12 hr day minimum to keep up with the workload.
*Custom engraving. The importance of good customer service, sales, production, store up keep & inventory.
*Store management was reasonable in distributing the workload & schedules, upper management not so much.
*Co-workers were great and created an enjoyable work atmosphere. *Getting everything done, with too few hands to complete the job.
*Seeing the customers face when picking up their finished product.
Pros
Great Co-workers
Cons
Low pay for high performance expectations
Not an ideal job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJMarch 30, 2016
- Work usually 6 out of 7 days
- Short hours per day (not set hours as per morning, evening)
- Not a set 40 hours (Fluctuates 30-40)
- No balance of work/life (calls outside of work)
- No breaks, single coverage

- Create memorable gifts for customers
- Management Level
Very productive work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Schofield Barracks, HIJune 28, 2016
Other than holidays, there was always single coverage so you spend a lot of time by yourself. During your shift you are required to meet a sales goal, provide quality engraving in a timely manner and maintain cleanliness of the store. Management was very flexible and understanding; always available when I had questions (because like I said, majority of the time it was single coverage.) Things Remembered was such a smooth sailing job with hard working co-workers. We had great communication amongst our team!
productive workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Massapequa, NYMarch 22, 2016
I enjoyed working here. I learned how to engrave merchandise and my customer service skills had gotten better. Management was cool the most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the look on a customers face when they see the finished product on their merchandise
Awesome work enviroment
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Slidell, LADecember 14, 2015
Its a great place to work. Great training from managers and great opportunity for advancement. Great benefits are offered and great work conditions.
Lots of down time. Focused organized tasks, engraving
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 18, 2016
I work by myself, so i run the entire store by myself. My manager leaves me tasks to complete that normally an ASM would do because we currently dont have one. We usually have a few engraving orders a day unless is a holiday weekend. The hardest part about this job is the amount of down time we do have because I like to be busy. The best part about this job is my co-workers and manager. They are so fun and caring to work with.
Pros
Helping customers
Cons
Down time, No breaks

2.9