Things Remembered Employee Reviews

Tiring and Over-bearing
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hialeah, FLSeptember 2, 2015
Too busy and crowded, the area it was in was rude and the staff was even worse. There was a lot of negativity in the staff as well as in higher staff who walk into the store and treat you like you're lower than them. Expensive company with cheap staff.
Pros
Seasonal
Cons
Everything Else
Pretty Good for Starters
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lake Grove, NYSeptember 1, 2015
I thought it was nice at first until I was let go for being 17. Gotta be 18 to work there but loved my co-worker around the same age as me. Bosses were pretty respectable but it did see alot highschool at times with all the drammmmmaaaa going on back-stage! Woah! Never really did much but greet customers and make them sign up papers. If you're good with numbers and really smart and don't wish to do anything while just standing on your feet walking next to beautiful jewelry and trinkets I suggest this is the place to be !
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
No breaks, no sitting down, small employee space
Fast paced, rewarding work
Engraver (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXAugust 31, 2015
I began as a seasonal cashier, returned the next year as a seasonal engraver, and stayed on part time. Work environment varies significantly based on season.

During busy times, such as around Christmas and Valentines, work is very high volume and fast paced. Involves working with customers to create personalized messages and select gifts that are right for their situation and occasion. This requires creativity, good communication skills, and the ability to multitask. Engraving is fun and easy on the engraver, but requires attention to detail, the ability to plan ahead, and being able to work quickly with minimal error. Additionally, busy season's require excellent team work, as you are working in a small store front with a number of other team members at a volume and pace that demands cooperation.

During 'off' seasons, store load and employee hours are reduced. As a key holder, I often opened or closed the location alone. Work hours were spent straightening the store if traffic was slow, and running around like a chicken with my head cut off if there were a lot of customers. Operating the store alone required a lot of multitasking, because I was responsible for helping customers with sales, making the transactions, and keeping the engraver going all at the same time.
Pros
Fun, Fast-paced, Challenging
Cons
May stay late to finish work, Working alone
Potential to be a wonderful workplace, but falls way short in too many areas to reach it yet.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Clairsville, OHAugust 28, 2015
You have a variety of responsibilities at Things Remembered.
First off, you are a salesperson in a retail environment. This is because people can, and had while I was employed there, pick an item, buy it, and leave, just like any other retail store.
But you also are providing a service, custom engraving, which is not something most people realize. This can entail many different responsibilities, depending on the materials, shape of the item, amount of time necessary to cut them, etc. This is probably the most time consuming aspect of the job, especially when you are first learning everything.
Lastly, as all members of the store, both management and associates, are responsible for banking as well as stock and organization of the store. You do opening and closing cash counts, handle bank deposits, ordering needed supplies, etc.
Overall, the customers were great to deal with. Almost all customers are understanding that mistakes will happen, especially if you have a solution you are working on. Customer service skills are definitely a big need while here, not just with the customers, but also your fellow employees (and yes the Store and District managers are in included with this).
The pay was well above average for the area I lived, so if money is your motive, look them up. If you have a family though, my experience pushes the opposite direction.
The management of my store didn't feel like they were very supportive overall. I felt like I was left hanging multiple times, and when I asked questions or brought up concerns, I felt that I
  more... was a problem to them or that it was just heard, but that's where it ended.  less
Pros
Good money making job
Cons
No breaks, minimal assistance when attempting to learn new things, poor leader at the store level
Good Day by Day Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDAugust 26, 2015
Provide you with the customer skills you will need. You get to meet new people and important people. This job helps you on communication skills, being pressure to complete something, etc. This jobs prepares you for a lot of other jobs you will have.
Productive and fun place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHAugust 23, 2015
Productive and fun place to work. The management is very friendly and sincerely cares about your well being with the company.
Awesome crew and employment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLAugust 21, 2015
Loved working there for my seasonal time. My co-workers were all super awesome, and kind. They helped me learn the tasks fairly quickly, and showed me where products were in the store. There was not a thing that I could say negatively. It truly was the best place, and a great first job.
Proceed with caution
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newington, NH/Portsmouth, VAAugust 21, 2015
When I started with TR, I loved the people I worked with and the environment. However, when I transferred stores I felt out of place, under appreciated, and often went weeks without even working. When I was working there were many times that I would work 6 to 8 hours by myself which means no breaks (not even for the restroom).

The management at the first store I worked at was amazing, fun, and encouraging, but after the transfer the management played favorites and was not willing to help her team on the inside move up when openings were available.
Pros
40% discount
Cons
everything else
Great Company to work for
Sales Associate/Key Carrier (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAAugust 17, 2015
I loved every minute of working with Things Remembered. Every one is very close and the work environment, well I felt more like family, than co workers. Great communication and team work with everyone. Management was great, always tried to resolve issues before any disciplinary action was taken. We had training basically everyday, to review and improve our skills.
Fun but not really
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Staten IslandAugust 10, 2015
Fun place to work, but the job itself pays lousy compared to the actual amount of work employee are expected to do. Job become very frustrating very quickly as well as tedious. The pay also does not reflect or compensate for the trouble it is to work here.
Very customer service oriented. Good place to work.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXAugust 6, 2015
Things Remembered is a nice place to work. The only real negative was the one-person coverage. Difficult on busy days to properly supervise the store from theft.
Pros
The customers are great!!!
Cons
Little to no lunch time due to one person coverage.
making sales was very easy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Clackamas ORAugust 5, 2015
The sales goals were very high, but I always managed to make them because the products and cost of engraving were high priced. I had to balance tills, make sales, greet customers, engrave items, do bank deposits, floor sets, and close the store. The job was challenging enough to make me enjoy doing it.
Seasonal
SEASONAL SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLAugust 4, 2015
The wasn't much organization. There were too many employees and not enough work to go around. I didn't enjoy getting payed for nothing, contrary to popular belief. Horrible Management.
Pros
part-time, flexible, location close
Cons
low pay, unorganized, low hours
nice job culture
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCJuly 28, 2015
a great place to work if you are looking for part time slower paced job. Its a great job for learning new techniques and responsibilities.
Great Company, Terrible Scheduling
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bloomingdale ILJuly 27, 2015
I loved working with this company, The only problem I ended up having was the lack of hours. I was told I would be getting upwards of 25 hours because I was being shuffled between two different stores. However, I was only given around nine hours a week. I have no complaints about the manegment or store atmosphere, I however would tell anyone who is looking to apply that they should not rely on this as their only source of income.
Pros
Nice people, easy tasks, very routine
Cons
terrible hours
This was my very 1st job. Learned resonsibilty
Sears Key Shop/Key maker (Former Employee) –  Hackensack, NJJuly 23, 2015
I would go to work directly from high school. I made keys when there were customers, cleaned the counters, inventory of keys and key chains, closed the store at the end of the day, made deposit.
Pros
Learned alot from my manager
Cons
Was alone most of the time had to close the shop to use the bathroom or get something to eat
Things Remembered review
Engraver (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJuly 23, 2015
A typical day at Things Remembered for an Engraver is all about engravings. Example a customer comes in and either buys something and has it engraved or just needs something they already have be engraved. I learned how to manage time very well and stick to a project and see it through. the manager was the nicest manager I've had the pleasure of meeting. My co-workers where very friendly and helpful. the hardest part about engraving was the busy times where we would get 20 engravings to do. The most enjoyable part about my job was the customers they were all nice and very interesting people.
Pros
easy to work there
Cons
nothing
liked this job
Sales (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 21, 2015
worked graveyard learing as a cashier ,customer services I liked working with people the mangment understood where I needed the training and helped co-workers worked well with hardest part of job was not working long enough hours I enjoyed learning new things everyday
Fun and rewarding
Customer Service/Key Holder/Engraver (Former Employee) –  Springfield, PAJuly 21, 2015
Working for things remembered was an amazing opportunity. I got to help customers choice a gift for weddings, showers, babies, graduation etc. Then after the gift was selected, I got to engrave the item with a special message and or picture.
good expirance
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Newburgh, NYJuly 21, 2015
The company had a great belief in its people but the machines were hard to use and depending on location some of the technology was older and more difficult to use. They were a great stepping stone in developing me into a business owner.
Pros
unique at the time in its feild of
Cons
machinery was not consistant between stores