Things Remembered Employee Reviews in United States

Decent Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDNovember 18, 2015
I worked during the holiday season, so the days were filled with equal parts joy and stress. Customers were never particularly nasty, so it helped the day move along more quickly.
Pros
forced smiling, holiday cheer
Cons
immediate termination, easily replaced, short lunch
a technical job that involves managing kiosk and using the engraving machines
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kaneohe, HINovember 13, 2015
This job can be demanding if you work full time, there is always continuous learning, can only advance to store manager. The pay is average. Must follow rules and policy.
Pros
sharing in peoples' special occassion.
Cons
no breaks, must work alone
fun and energetic company
ales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 6, 2015
Great company, Its a great store that can personalize any item in its store from monogramming to engraving and embroidery. The Company also allows you to bring in outside items to be engraved.
Artistic outlet, but NOT worth your time.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  MissouriOctober 31, 2015
You will never have a break, and when you do, your coworkers and management will be mad about it. You'll only make minimum wage, and you will be constantly on your feet. If you're not just seasonal and manage to get hired on, you will basically have all the responsibility of the store on your shoulders as you will be on single coverage with no manager or coworker in the store to help you. The pay is minimum wage, and even management pay only starts at 10 an hour for assistant manager and 12 an hour for store manager. This company will fire you in a heartbeat if you don't get along with the management, and they will not provide you with adequate training yet will hold you accountable for every mistake you make. They also overprice their merchandise not to mention the engraving, and the quality of most of the merchandise is sub par at best. Your customers are the best part of this job, but the rest of it just is not worth it.
Cons
No breaks, Constant standing
Good seasonal job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 20, 2015
During the off season single coverage makes work very boring and long. The best part of the job is learning the engraving machine and sharing personal moments with customers. You get to be with customers during their best (new babies, weddings etc.) and worst (deaths) moments of life.
Pros
Great co-workers, engraving is fun
Cons
No breaks or lunches, single coverage, disorganized
productive fun learned a lot
Key Holder (Pre Assistant Manager) (Former Employee) –  Deptford, NJOctober 19, 2015
i loved working here. my head manager was amazing we were the number 1 store in the region. very clean, organized, learned a lot
Love it!
Cashier, key holder (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNOctober 8, 2015
I loved working for Things Remembered as well as the manager and staff. I greet customers, stock, engrave products and cashier. I loved learning how to engrave different products. One of the hardest parts was actually learning to engrave different products without messing up on people's personal items. The most enjoyable part is hearing each customer's individual stories behind the product that they want engraved.
Pros
Management, scheduling and hours
Cons
slow pace, only one person per shift most of the time, pay
Very quiet place to work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Colonial Heights, VASeptember 28, 2015
When I worked here it was boring, not many people came into the store unless it was the holidays I do not remember much because it was a seasonal job
Pros
You get to wear cute clothes
Cons
Not enough shifts
Very productive and fun place to work at with great employees and awesome helpful management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North Jackson, OHSeptember 26, 2015
I really enjoyed my job at both locations. I loved working around enjoyable, happy people as well as helping others. I also learned that having fun but staying focused is a huge part of the job as well. The hardest part of my job was really nothing. I was always up for a new challenge and a new customer but friend at the same time.
Pros
lunch breaks, time with co-workers and friends, management was great
Cons
weather sometimes
productive and fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  arcadia, CASeptember 25, 2015
fun area to work in and many goals to fill each day. management was very supportive and motivational. everyday there was new task and more to learn from. it was a small store so it was rare that i worked alongside another worker, however i do enjoy working and learning with others.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no benefits
Management/ training manager
STORE MANAGER / DISTRICT TRAINING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJSeptember 21, 2015
Typical day was going over numbers from previous day and seeing where the store was for the week, month, year. Going over associates productivity and training. Training new managers and keeping up with each stores training of their employees. Restocking the store and shipments. Helping customers find the perfect gift with the perfect messages then engraving the items. Daily paperwork as needed and payroll when needed.
Pros
Helping people find the perfect gift and the employees.
Cons
Long work days and a lot to do in one day
No work life balance
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 17, 2015
Single coverage 80% of the time. No quality of life. No work life balance. Low salary for expectations. Quality of product company sells has recently gone down-hill.
Mangement
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Milford, CTSeptember 16, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job are the customer. The customer service . I also enjoy the training the team. I Do open and close of the store. I hire and train the new team mate. I also coach the team on sale goals and how the achieve the.
good job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Bruno, CASeptember 14, 2015
Pros: okay pay, do things on your own, discounts, very easy
Cons: slow pace, have to meet sales goals, not that many hours
A quick paced enviornment with nice people to work with. Generaly a good place to work.
Sales Associate/ Engraver (Current Employee) –  Kennesaw, GASeptember 13, 2015
The best part of the job is the customer service aspect. I truly do like working with customers. I also have enjoyed learning how to operate the engraving machines. The other employees that I work with are nice people and fun to be around, however I do not personally agree with how some of the management works. I personally feel that there are a few too many "lazy days". I feel that if you can get things done and get ahead it is so much better than falling behind, even if it is only a "little bit".
Pros
Flexable days
Cons
unpredictability in work hours and also some co-workers
Engraving Days
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MASeptember 10, 2015
I would come to the store at the middle of the day and work on engraving and Customer service. You fill out work orders for engravings on orders or just Items. Sometimes working with multiple people at the same time. The prices would get many people angry but you can sweet talk people into paying it. The store makes most of its money on engraving itself because it costs the company next to nothing to engrave except machine up keep. I loved the job. Talking to people and finding out what people are getting engravings for was amazing. Plus doing the engraving was fun sometimes on its own. I did not care for management though. They were quick to fire people for no reason and had the customer is always right mentality even if it goes against our policies. The customer was never ever wrong and it made it very hard to follow rules sometimes. I would get calls constantly from home office to break rules for customers. Even if you worked there for A very long time you were still treated pretty unfairly. If it was not for the management that job would have been perfect.
Pros
Customer interaction, engraving, getting to know people, awesome co-workers
Cons
Bad management, bad pay, holidays were a nightmare
Tiring and Over-bearing
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hialeah, FLSeptember 2, 2015
Too busy and crowded, the area it was in was rude and the staff was even worse. There was a lot of negativity in the staff as well as in higher staff who walk into the store and treat you like you're lower than them. Expensive company with cheap staff.
Pros
Seasonal
Cons
Everything Else
Pretty Good for Starters
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lake Grove, NYSeptember 1, 2015
I thought it was nice at first until I was let go for being 17. Gotta be 18 to work there but loved my co-worker around the same age as me. Bosses were pretty respectable but it did see alot highschool at times with all the drammmmmaaaa going on back-stage! Woah! Never really did much but greet customers and make them sign up papers. If you're good with numbers and really smart and don't wish to do anything while just standing on your feet walking next to beautiful jewelry and trinkets I suggest this is the place to be !
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
No breaks, no sitting down, small employee space
Fast paced, rewarding work
Engraver (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXAugust 31, 2015
I began as a seasonal cashier, returned the next year as a seasonal engraver, and stayed on part time. Work environment varies significantly based on season.

During busy times, such as around Christmas and Valentines, work is very high volume and fast paced. Involves working with customers to create personalized messages and select gifts that are right for their situation and occasion. This requires creativity, good communication skills, and the ability to multitask. Engraving is fun and easy on the engraver, but requires attention to detail, the ability to plan ahead, and being able to work quickly with minimal error. Additionally, busy season's require excellent team work, as you are working in a small store front with a number of other team members at a volume and pace that demands cooperation.

During 'off' seasons, store load and employee hours are reduced. As a key holder, I often opened or closed the location alone. Work hours were spent straightening the store if traffic was slow, and running around like a chicken with my head cut off if there were a lot of customers. Operating the store alone required a lot of multitasking, because I was responsible for helping customers with sales, making the transactions, and keeping the engraver going all at the same time.
Pros
Fun, Fast-paced, Challenging
Cons
May stay late to finish work, Working alone
Potential to be a wonderful workplace, but falls way short in too many areas to reach it yet.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Clairsville, OHAugust 28, 2015
You have a variety of responsibilities at Things Remembered.
First off, you are a salesperson in a retail environment. This is because people can, and had while I was employed there, pick an item, buy it, and leave, just like any other retail store.
But you also are providing a service, custom engraving, which is not something most people realize. This can entail many different responsibilities, depending on the materials, shape of the item, amount of time necessary to cut them, etc. This is probably the most time consuming aspect of the job, especially when you are first learning everything.
Lastly, as all members of the store, both management and associates, are responsible for banking as well as stock and organization of the store. You do opening and closing cash counts, handle bank deposits, ordering needed supplies, etc.
Overall, the customers were great to deal with. Almost all customers are understanding that mistakes will happen, especially if you have a solution you are working on. Customer service skills are definitely a big need while here, not just with the customers, but also your fellow employees (and yes the Store and District managers are in included with this).
The pay was well above average for the area I lived, so if money is your motive, look them up. If you have a family though, my experience pushes the opposite direction.
The management of my store didn't feel like they were very supportive overall. I felt like I was left hanging multiple times, and when I asked questions or brought up concerns, I felt that I
  more... was a problem to them or that it was just heard, but that's where it ended.  less
Pros
Good money making job
Cons
No breaks, minimal assistance when attempting to learn new things, poor leader at the store level

2.9