Things Remembered Employee Reviews in United States

A quick paced enviornment with nice people to work with. Generaly a good place to work.
Sales Associate/ Engraver (Current Employee) –  Kennesaw, GASeptember 13, 2015
The best part of the job is the customer service aspect. I truly do like working with customers. I also have enjoyed learning how to operate the engraving machines. The other employees that I work with are nice people and fun to be around, however I do not personally agree with how some of the management works. I personally feel that there are a few too many "lazy days". I feel that if you can get things done and get ahead it is so much better than falling behind, even if it is only a "little bit".
Pros
Flexable days
Cons
unpredictability in work hours and also some co-workers
Things remembered
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJFebruary 10, 2016
This job was fascinating. I was able to use my creative skills to give the customers just what they wanted. Engraving things onto our products or products bought elsewhere helped bring that personal touch to the gifts. This company is great.
Fast-Paced workplace with a friendly team
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYApril 28, 2014
Everyday I was in the back helping the engraver with the products they had to engrave, cleaning them up and packaging them to be ready for their pick-up, and I was keeping the back cleaned and stocked. The managers were amazing, nice, polite, and motivating. My co-workers were fun, upbeat and great to the customers. The hardest part of the job was when we had more orders to fill than engravers at the store and when we got backed up with orders. The most enjoyable part was seeing the smile on the customers' faces when they got to see their engraved piece.
Pros
compensation, work environment, team members
Love it!
Cashier, key holder (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNOctober 8, 2015
I loved working for Things Remembered as well as the manager and staff. I greet customers, stock, engrave products and cashier. I loved learning how to engrave different products. One of the hardest parts was actually learning to engrave different products without messing up on people's personal items. The most enjoyable part is hearing each customer's individual stories behind the product that they want engraved.
Pros
Management, scheduling and hours
Cons
slow pace, only one person per shift most of the time, pay
terrible employer
sales (Former Employee) –  USAAugust 7, 2012
No breaks given at all, regardless of length of shift.
I worked several 10 hour shifts and received one 2 minute bathroom break. There are also no meal breaks, yet the store has no microwave our refrigerator/cooler of any kind to make bringing a lunch possible either.
The employees are encouraged to push for any sale, even if it includes telling customers something that is untrue. All the while selling inferior products that are marked up sometimes 60%.
When customers return these products due to
The inferior finishes, the customer is blamed for the problems.
Overall, not a good place to work or shop.
Cons
dismal or no benefits, unlawful work requirements
Very productive and fun place to work at with great employees and awesome helpful management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North Jackson, OHSeptember 26, 2015
I really enjoyed my job at both locations. I loved working around enjoyable, happy people as well as helping others. I also learned that having fun but staying focused is a huge part of the job as well. The hardest part of my job was really nothing. I was always up for a new challenge and a new customer but friend at the same time.
Pros
lunch breaks, time with co-workers and friends, management was great
Cons
weather sometimes
Amazing job
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 5, 2016
Was an amazing place to work, wish it was not seasonal would've loved to stay there forever, everyone was so nice and whenever you had a question the team was always there to help you, everyone was so willing to help you if you had a problem finding a certain item, everyone was just nice. It was the best job i have ever had!
Pros
Cons
nothing
Positive environment
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXFebruary 8, 2016
Constant interface time with guests. Establishing what each guest wishes to engrave on items and presenting each guest with their exact order.
Pros
Engraving skills acquired
Cons
Not enough sales associates per shift
Small company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, CAMay 26, 2015
As a manager I was alone for most of my shifts. Everything was done by who ever was at work that day, even if you were by yourself. Sales, customer service, engraving, cashier, merchandising, shipment, paperwork and whatever projects they wanted you to get done. Long hours without a break. I enjoyed my co-workers because when they were there I wasn't alone. I felt upper level management was not realistic in new tasks they would want us to implement, they didn't have concern that we were with out breaks for long periods of time. Holidays were very hard, 12-15 hour days, working till all hours in the morning not being able to enjoy or celebrate holidays.
Productive and fun
Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 17, 2015
Management I learned from my co workers. Training was an everyday task. The people I worked with were more like family. Hardest part of my job was during holiday season. I have kids so it was really hard with the long hours but it was all worth it.The most enjoyable part was customers satisfaction.
Pros
Advancement
Awesome Comany
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARAugust 20, 2014
I started working for this company as an Assistant Manager and progressed to Store Manager. You learn a lot with this company, customer service being the biggest. You learn to have a lot of patience and it makes you have better customer service with your customers! The hardest part of the job was working with upset customers, the most enjoyable was ALL customers and making their memories so memorable!
Pros
working with some amazing people, benefits are good
Cons
no breaks unless you are working with other employees and it is scheduled
learning retail experience
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILJanuary 27, 2016
Seasonal, legs and feet hurting, quite and busy.
There isnt much to tell. The job only lasted a month. You can learn to engrave things,
Pros
meet new people
Cons
not enough hours, and some employees were raciest pay lousy
Fun and Professional
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 2, 2016
My time at Things Remembered was brief but memorable. In the short Holiday Season, I learned how to help multiple customers efficiently, manage time better, and how to handle mad rushes.
Sales associates
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Sill, OKFebruary 9, 2016
As a sales associate we only got 6 hours a week and sometimes not even that. There were not enough hours to go around with as many people as they hired.
training and compensation are poor
employee (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 22, 2013
The pay is inequitable for the expectations, but they do provide medical and dental for their part associates which a lot of companies don't any more. they provide little training and then are quick to write you up for failing to meet expectations. Despite giving limited hours on a regular basis they still expect you to be available at their beck and call when things get busy, or they have a special task they need completed.
Pros
good benefits for all employees
Cons
pay is awful, single coverage environment is lonely/boring
Proceed with caution
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newington, NH/Portsmouth, VAAugust 21, 2015
When I started with TR, I loved the people I worked with and the environment. However, when I transferred stores I felt out of place, under appreciated, and often went weeks without even working. When I was working there were many times that I would work 6 to 8 hours by myself which means no breaks (not even for the restroom).

The management at the first store I worked at was amazing, fun, and encouraging, but after the transfer the management played favorites and was not willing to help her team on the inside move up when openings were available.
Pros
40% discount
Cons
everything else
a technical job that involves managing kiosk and using the engraving machines
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kaneohe, HINovember 13, 2015
This job can be demanding if you work full time, there is always continuous learning, can only advance to store manager. The pay is average. Must follow rules and policy.
Pros
sharing in peoples' special occassion.
Cons
no breaks, must work alone
Productive, Professional, Fun and Optimistic
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Redondo Beach, CAJune 27, 2013
Open up the store review previous day sales, count the registers and walk the store to straighten or re-stock product so the store is ready for business. Assist any customers that walk in to the store with 100% satisfaction and guide them to picking out the perfect gift for the right occasion. Assist the customer with a personalize message to make the gift 100% unique and personal. after ringing the customer up. I will then engrave the product myself. If working with a teammate i will spend about 10-15 min. training them on customer service by role playing with them. I've so much fun working for Things Remembered. I wouldn't know where to begin. I basically Increased sales volume and maintained positive comp sales. Learned Merchandising, marketing, customer service, Out-reach, training, staffing and all facets of running a retail store. My Co-workers were amazing. I love them all dearly. We work together to be successful and help each other whenever we needed it. The hardest thing about the job was leaving. The most enjoyable part of the job was everything the job offered. From Benefits to the opportunity for advancement and product knowledge.
Pros
knowledge, experience, advancement, goal driven
Cons
visual merchandise changes all the time.
Okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIJanuary 30, 2014
The work itself was nice. I enjoyed what I did and could often be fun. You would have to role play every single shift you came in with you co-worker even if your sales were perfect. The management doesn't listen to anything you have to say for the most part. and management can be really rude and inconsiderate as well.
Pros
they offer good benefits even for part time
Cons
management was bad, getting hours was hard
Engraving Days
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MASeptember 10, 2015
I would come to the store at the middle of the day and work on engraving and Customer service. You fill out work orders for engravings on orders or just Items. Sometimes working with multiple people at the same time. The prices would get many people angry but you can sweet talk people into paying it. The store makes most of its money on engraving itself because it costs the company next to nothing to engrave except machine up keep. I loved the job. Talking to people and finding out what people are getting engravings for was amazing. Plus doing the engraving was fun sometimes on its own. I did not care for management though. They were quick to fire people for no reason and had the customer is always right mentality even if it goes against our policies. The customer was never ever wrong and it made it very hard to follow rules sometimes. I would get calls constantly from home office to break rules for customers. Even if you worked there for A very long time you were still treated pretty unfairly. If it was not for the management that job would have been perfect.
Pros
Customer interaction, engraving, getting to know people, awesome co-workers
Cons
Bad management, bad pay, holidays were a nightmare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Things Remembered. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9