ThinkGeek Employee Reviews

fun job, really bad hours.
Geek team member (Current Employee) –  Kennesaw, GANovember 17, 2017
Fun job if your into to nerdy pop culture. Dont expect this to be your only source of income as hours hover around 5-10 per week max. current management is a little unreliable, but they do there best.
Pros
nerdy stuff. laid back.
Cons
really low hours. iffy management.
Good but Stressful
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaOctober 24, 2017
Overall a good company to work for. Great collectibles and a focus on customer interactions.
Good benefits and pay, but balancing personal and professional life is difficult.
Pros
Cool stuff and national team.
Cons
Stressful work conditions.
Game Stop has destroyed this once wonderful online store
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Peabody, MAOctober 23, 2017
Game Stop has destroyed this once wonderful online store.
When they made the "In real life" stores, they became all about the money. They are now a very greedy corporation.
Pros
They sell great stuff
Cons
Low hours\low pay. If you can't sell sell sell, you are treated VERY poorly.
We get paid for this?
Sr. Packaging Engineer (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 16, 2017
Fun and relaxed work atmosphere that fits the company name. Incredibly intelligent and humorous work group. Work is hard but the atmosphere makes it fun. Collaboration is everything. No one is a loner off working by themselves. Please volunteer to help others out instead of hiding.
Pros
Fun people. Dogs loose!
Cons
Small company trying to get big too fast. Confusion runs rampant.
Fun job, cool coworkers and customers, few hours
Geek Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 3, 2017
Fun work environment, management encourages you to demo the products which usually means employees are walking around the store with swords or bats. Coworkers and managers are all geeks thus one usually has a lot in common with them making working a blast. customers are usually geeks as well. store managers are usually easy going but obviously answer to regional managers and thus are forced to be meticulous about hours and sales. Work hours are typically in shifts of four hours for Geek specialist, usually no more than five hours a week unless one is able to pick up an extra shift. Hours are also dependent on sales, if the store is making its daily sales goals then hours stay normal. If it regularly exceeds or falls short of the sales goals, then hours are adjusted accordingly.
Slow Paced Retail with Much Inconsistency
Lead Geek / Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 28, 2017
ThinkGeek retail seems exciting at first, however if you are seeking a job with possible advancement this isn't for you. The only perk is a measly discount.
Fun Environment
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 9, 2017
ThinkGeek prides itself on being a fun environment and interacting with customers as friends of the same nerd culture. While we do have goals we like to meet, it's not about just making the sale. It's about making a connection - be it about Star Wars, Superheroes, or even the newest TV Show.
A Cool Fun worksite
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Lockbourne, OHMay 21, 2017
Something that I have had a previous work background in warehouse work, required to follow basic direction and functions from Supervisor. I can follow these directions. I love to work and this would have me busy doing my job and tired when my shift was done
Pros
Nice timed break, help was accessible by management
Cons
Lack of surveilance like cameras on the site
really good place to work
Geek Advisor (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INMay 9, 2017
it's a really fun job you get to work with collectibles and the geek culture and you'd get to meet some really cool people and you just have a lot of fun
Fun workplace
Lead Geek (Shift Leader) (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INApril 24, 2017
ThinkGeek is amazing to work at, it's essentially like working in a giant toy store for adults. The products in there are incredibly fun to handle. A reason I am such a successful salesman is because we were encouraged to demo any product for the customer. We were told to create an emotional connection with each customer in order to establish a rapport with them. I sold some of the best and highest quality items that we had. I love this job, this is the first one I have ever really enjoyed and found myself looking forward to going in to each of my shifts.
Pros
Breaks, fun environment, great hours
Cons
Not many hours to go around
Rough place to work.
Geek Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grapevine, TXFebruary 23, 2017
ThinkGeek as a brand, is incredible. ThinkGeek as an employer, not the best. This company most likely provides a better work experience for employees that aren't working in the stores. This was my first job after leaving the military, and the location I worked at was the 3rd store to open in the United States. There was quite a bit of excitement since we helped set up the store, and opened on Black Friday. The fact that this store sells mostly higher priced collectibles really sinks in when part-time employees struggle to get their 20 hours a week, and shift sizes go from 5-7 people to 1-3 per shift. The workplace environment is stressful and there is a constant feeling of urgency from management to push items. The most enjoyable part of the job would probably be getting to set up the store and see the new items firsthand, and being able to build trust with customers.
Pros
Getting to know other geeks with similar interests, there's an employee discount that stacks with promotions/deals.
Cons
low pay, not enough hours
Fun people, fun products
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hurst, TXFebruary 2, 2017
ThinkGeek retail attracts fun employees with a passion of Geek/Nerd culture. The store fosters a good team environment and everyone works together and hops in where-ever needed. No one has a "below my paygrade" mentality.

They encourage you to strike up conversations with the customers beyond "how can I help you?" They are trying to build a Cheers-like environment where we have customers who come in to talk and hang out as much as they come in to shop.

They don't pay much above minimum wage and full time positions are elusive. If you're just looking for a few extra bucks a month or a part time job to start building your resume this is a great place. If you're looking for a pay the bills, full time job, look elsewhere.
Pros
fun environment, fun products, employee discout
Cons
pay, hours
Fun job but not enough hours
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 25, 2017
I enjoy my job but due to the lack of sales we don't get to work very often, so I have to look for a second job.
Management is amazing, they are very supportive of the team.
Hardest part is dealing with the lack of hours.
Most enjoyable is the culture that surrounds the store.
Pros
15% discount, next to food court
Cons
Negative Customers, lack of hours
Fun Place To Work
Seasonal Geek (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 23, 2017
You are encouraged to show case almost anything in the store, so if it's something you like you can play with it all day to show it off to customers. You are encouraged to get to know your customers and talk with them about things you both may enjoy. This may have been the best job I've ever had.
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 18, 2017
They didn't really have all of their things in order, they had to keep switching from between positions because they didn't know everyone's skills management was terrible and employees weren't doing their job.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Short breaks, couldn't leave on lunch.
Great company to work for, best retail brick & mortar business anywhere.
Store Leader (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 3, 2016
This is a fantastic company to work for and it's an incredible business model with a built-in huge fanbase that spreads across all demographics & age groups.
Not a bad way to spend a work day
Operations (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 10, 2015
No attitudes in my department. People are friendly enough. Culture is not overwhelming or pervasive and it's easy to follow your own instincts when it comes to doing your job. Management is incredibly supportive and co-workers share information.

Nothing is really hard about the job. You've got plenty of space and time to learn things and no one is ever in a rush. People do take their work seriously and are very good at what they do - take a lot of pride.

The best part of the job is that you don't take it home with you at the end of the day.
Pros
Lots of free geek stuff given away all the time
Cons
Salary not on par with large companies
Wonderful atmosphere with sub-par management
Senior Buyer (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 3, 2015
I moved to Virginia for this job. This was a dream job for me. Let me go point for point about all things ThinkGeek:

The CEO is fantastic, she has a real grip on all situations and the CFO/accounting team were a pleasure to work with.

HR is always quick to act but with any small company, it may not actually help your case as everyone will know who complained about what.

The marketing and merchandising team need a little work to work together, but it will come together as everyone wants what is absolute best for the customer.

Also, the team in charge of creating the unique products that set ThinkGeek apart from the rest of e-commerce is astounding in their professionalism and talent.

IT works the hardest I've ever seen and should always be commended. Their manager is one of the greatest leaders in the organization and if you're interested in this field, do yourself a favor and work with that team.

Finally, the photography, creative (copywriter, social, and graphics), and film team are second to none in the industry.

Recently, they were purchased by GameStop, Inc. from Texas. Thus far, they had not had any serious changes to the culture or anything at all.

The work/life balance depends upon your position and manager. It was really quite reasonable if leaning towards a little lax depending upon the department and the team you had around you.

An organization as small as ThinkGeek takes some time to get involved in. If you choose to go there, remember they are a family and it will take a little time for your co-workers to warm up to you. Don't
  more... take it personally.

The only reason I mark management as a one star is because there is a certain manager within the company that has a long history of employee conflict and extremely immature attitudes towards those that are under him. He is the single reason why the company suffers yet for some reason is allowed to continue working for the organization. It's quite baffling. Also, it's extremely annoying because this manager has an excellent background in merchandising and inventory management, but is the most unprofessional person I have ever worked with. It will be quite evident who this person is when you interview, but please do not let this person dissuade you from working for an amazing company. However, a dream job turned to ash when his management began over my department.

In short, they pay reasonably, the work/life balance is exceptional, you will eventually become part of a family (if you're there long enough), and it has a good future because it was acquired by GameStop in 2015.

Good luck if you join the team!
Pros
Excellent work/life balance, wonderful people (just takes time to warm up to them), excellent atmosphere, and yeah, they have a ton of fun and geeky events every year.
Cons
Honestly, it boils down to one individual and the lack of anything done about him
fun place to work
Picker (Former Employee) –  Grove City, OHDecember 1, 2015
I loved the company and job itself. It was very welcoming and productive. the co workers were great and very helpful. The training for the position was good.
Pros
excellent managers
Cons
short breaks
Fun and educational place to work
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VaJune 18, 2015
My typical day was fun and busy. I did everything there is to do to keep an office running efficiently. It was a place with a definite diverse culture. I worked with 110 people and knew everyone of them by name. I supported all departments. I was responsible for keeping morale up and making sure all things needed were provided. I loved everyone I worked with, they were a group of really cool, friendly and very intelligent "geeks"...very different environment. I enjoyed going into work every day. Management was very accessible and easy to work with. High stress at times but it never showed in the employees. The hardest part was trying to be in both suites at once while trying to complete a project...not really hard..just a bit of rushing around...but it always worked!! I loved my job and would still be there if the company had not downsized...I loved them..they loved me!
Pros
Elevensies...WTFUN...great people
Cons
job ended