ThinkGeek Employee Reviews

Great company to work for, best retail brick & mortar business anywhere.
Store Leader (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 3, 2016
This is a fantastic company to work for and it's an incredible business model with a built-in huge fanbase that spreads across all demographics & age groups.
fun place to work
Picker (Former Employee) –  Grove City, OHDecember 1, 2015
I loved the company and job itself. It was very welcoming and productive. the co workers were great and very helpful. The training for the position was good.
Pros
excellent managers
Cons
short breaks
Fun and educational place to work
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VaJune 18, 2015
My typical day was fun and busy. I did everything there is to do to keep an office running efficiently. It was a place with a definite diverse culture. I worked with 110 people and knew everyone of them by name. I supported all departments. I was responsible for keeping morale up and making sure all things needed were provided. I loved everyone I worked with, they were a group of really cool, friendly and very intelligent "geeks"...very different environment. I enjoyed going into work every day. Management was very accessible and easy to work with. High stress at times but it never showed in the employees. The hardest part was trying to be in both suites at once while trying to complete a project...not really hard..just a bit of rushing around...but it always worked!! I loved my job and would still be there if the company had not downsized...I loved them..they loved me!
Pros
Elevensies...WTFUN...great people
Cons
job ended
Productive, fast paced work enviroment
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Lockbourne, OHFebruary 9, 2014
Learned many work related skills very fast which i used regularly to be more productive. Well balanced management and co-workers. The most difficult part of the job was peak season while the most enjoyable part was just succeeding in every day tasks.
Pros
Over-time offered
Cons
worried about job security
Home of geeks
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VaAugust 20, 2013
As it grows, ThinkGeek struggles with its culture, but there are still pockets of true geekery to be found. It isn't the bastion anymore that it used to be, but you don't have to work hard to find your geeky brethren and sisters.
Pros
casual dress, work from home allowed
Cons
change is abrupt and frequent
Wonderful atmosphere with sub-par management
Senior Buyer (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 3, 2015
I moved to Virginia for this job. This was a dream job for me. Let me go point for point about all things ThinkGeek:

The CEO is fantastic, she has a real grip on all situations and the CFO/accounting team were a pleasure to work with.

HR is always quick to act but with any small company, it may not actually help your case as everyone will know who complained about what.

The marketing and merchandising team need a little work to work together, but it will come together as everyone wants what is absolute best for the customer.

Also, the team in charge of creating the unique products that set ThinkGeek apart from the rest of e-commerce is astounding in their professionalism and talent.

IT works the hardest I've ever seen and should always be commended. Their manager is one of the greatest leaders in the organization and if you're interested in this field, do yourself a favor and work with that team.

Finally, the photography, creative (copywriter, social, and graphics), and film team are second to none in the industry.

Recently, they were purchased by GameStop, Inc. from Texas. Thus far, they had not had any serious changes to the culture or anything at all.

The work/life balance depends upon your position and manager. It was really quite reasonable if leaning towards a little lax depending upon the department and the team you had around you.

An organization as small as ThinkGeek takes some time to get involved in. If you choose to go there, remember they are a family and it will take a little time for your co-workers to warm up to you. Don't
  more... take it personally.

The only reason I mark management as a one star is because there is a certain manager within the company that has a long history of employee conflict and extremely immature attitudes towards those that are under him. He is the single reason why the company suffers yet for some reason is allowed to continue working for the organization. It's quite baffling. Also, it's extremely annoying because this manager has an excellent background in merchandising and inventory management, but is the most unprofessional person I have ever worked with. It will be quite evident who this person is when you interview, but please do not let this person dissuade you from working for an amazing company. However, a dream job turned to ash when his management began over my department.

In short, they pay reasonably, the work/life balance is exceptional, you will eventually become part of a family (if you're there long enough), and it has a good future because it was acquired by GameStop in 2015.

Good luck if you join the team!
Pros
Excellent work/life balance, wonderful people (just takes time to warm up to them), excellent atmosphere, and yeah, they have a ton of fun and geeky events every year.
Cons
Honestly, it boils down to one individual and the lack of anything done about him

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ThinkGeek. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5