Thomas Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

I loved interacting with patiens and their familes.
cook (Former Employee) –  Fair Hope AL.April 19, 2016
Thomas hospital was a great place to work, I love talking with family and friends of our patients. I loved cooking different types of food for my costumers.
Thomas is a very respected hospital by its community.
PHLEBOTOMIST (Current Employee) –  Fairhope, ALApril 13, 2016
I love the patients. I have great co-workers! I see teamwork every minute of the day. The patients always come first and I love that.
Pros
My family and friends have always been given great care by the staff.
Cons
Needs more parking!
management is not good!
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Fairhope, ALFebruary 19, 2016
Do not work in the ICU, the will constantly threaten you with going to the board, micromanaging of aspect, they never take the nurses side on any issues. Horrific management! Good coworkers that just becoming worn out from all the negative.
Pros
pay is better than most hospitals in area
Cons
everything else and unreal expectations.
A great place to work.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Fairhope, ALApril 13, 2015
The day at Thomas Hospital started off with blood draws. Co-workers join in as well as management. Everyone took part of his or her job. We would enter rooms and draw blood as ordered. The most enjoyable part would be meeting and comforting the patients. I don't recall hard task with work or co-workers. A great place to work.
Toxic Learning enviroment
Special Procedures; Cariovascular (Former Employee) –  Fairhope, AlFebruary 20, 2015
As a new team member to the Cath lab I was unsuccessful. They really needed someone who was experienced in the environment. Received minimal training and was constantly patronized by some of the staff including physicians who where unwilling to make me successful in my career.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
lots of call time and not able to get 40 hr work week due to scheduleing issues.
Not the best Hospital to learn from
Sterile Processing Tech (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVJanuary 18, 2015
Hospital needs to get up to date on policies and procedures.
Its not a great place to work with management under trained.
the people in the OR are not motivated to learn new things and are stuck in a robotic state..The upper management needs to look into more training and be more open minded to those that come along and have been working in the field longer than the current uncertified. employees.
Advanced from ICU to Case Management over a Cardiac Step Down Unit
RN (Former Employee) –  Fairhope, ALJune 16, 2014
Worked in ICU for several years 12 hr shifts for 12 bed Medical ICU. Promoted to a M-F position in Case Management for a cardiac unit 30 bed. Responsible for utilization review, insurance compliance and safe discharge planning for pts on a high turnover unit. Liked my job and coworkers.
Pros
hours & pay
Cons
occasionally worked the weekend
What they say in orientation is not what you get
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  fairhope, alMay 10, 2014
I can only speak about the floor. A typical day, on a tele floor, pick up five or six patients (mixture of total care, cardiac drips, heart caths, 1:1's, surgeries), discharge 4, and admit 4. Little help from team leader. The team leader is too busy managing the floor. No help from Director. Have lunch around 2-3 or not at all. Most coworkers and unit clerk work great together. The employees with very bad attitudes linger forever with little or no disciplinary action. They are the cause of the good workers leaving, but management continues to do nothing. Wonderful staff, but cannot shine to their true capability due to poor management. No feeling of a team from management. Little to no appreciation. Unfortunately, the dysfunction continues to upper management. Human Resources is pro-management, regardless of complaint. If you are a new grad in need of experience, this is a great place to start. The nurses are wonderful at training and very nice. However, this would not be the place to consider moving up in your nursing career.
Pros
pays more than other hospital, may get a free turkey
Cons
little support, high acuity with high ratio, little responsibility/accountability
Productive and fun workplace
Nursing Assistant (NA), Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Fairhope, ALFebruary 9, 2014
Thomas hospital is a great place to work. The staff are highly appreciated. The hospital is filled with joy and love. Family atmosphere.
An opportunity to become familiar with patient care and all aspects of medicine
EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT PATIENT CARE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Fairhope, ALNovember 14, 2013
Being a Patient Care Technician (PCT) at Thomas Hospital Emergency Department was an invaluable experience as it exposed me to a wide variety of illness and the acute medical management of these. A typical day consisted of obtaining vital signs, phlebotomy, performing electrocardiograms, mobilizing patients around the unit, putting orders in the computer and charting on performed tasks. My fellow PCTs and I were also responsible for cleaning and stocking the patient rooms. The knowledge gained from this experience is vast, but the take home point is not to be timid when treating patients when they are severely ill. I gained a sense of comfortableness when communicating and interacting with all types of individuals. The hardest part was having to pick up slack of co-workers when they were not as motivated to get housekeeping jobs done. The most enjoyable part was being able to play an active part in the acute care of extremely ill patients.
challenging place with great values
laboratory technologist (Current Employee) –  Fairhope, ALMay 29, 2013
Work in all areas of the laboratory. Admire th ethics of management. Enjoy co worker work ethics and values. This is most enjoyable part job.
Pros
great work environment
High stress due to micromanaged, no breaks, lunch break available according to patient volume.
Emergency Room Registration Clerk (Former Employee) –  RegistrationApril 20, 2013
supervisors show little to no regard of employees opinions, questions regarding constant change in work schedule. Main concern is amount of money collected from copays. Reprimanded for not being able to collect (which is difficult in E.R.) also for not making "good notes" (explaining reasons demographic info or copays not collected) in computer regardless of patients condition. insurance and demographics have to be verified every visit to hospital, regardless if he or she came in day before.
Pros
coworkers in registration dept or emergency room work well together when things get busy.
Cons
high stress, no 15 min breaks, no lunch break if high vol of pts and employees short handed, management is critical and very micromanaged. work schedule not constistant from week to week, discourage use of time off
First hospital work journey
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Fairhope, ALNovember 6, 2012
A typical day at work is very busy.My job consists of a very fast paced environment.Working there has allowed me to gain experience in the hospital setting.It has also taught me about working at a fast pace while delivering quality service to my patients.I enjoy my co-workers very much.We have learned to help each other out through a sometimes difficult patient load.The hardest part of my job would have to be running non stop for twelve hours and not being able to break peacefully for thirty minutes.Sometimes the patient acuity level can be an overload because we get mostly confused,and bedridden but we manage to do the best we can.However,before the end of the day my coworkers and my patients always find something that makes my job worthwhile!The enjoyment of knowing I put a smile on someones face always brighten my day.
Pros
twelve hour shifts, benefits, in a field of my career
Cons
sometimes no breaks, short staff sometimes mean extra extra overload
great instituition
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Fairhope, ALOctober 29, 2012
loved job, pay was not great. helped.opened the first open heart center on eastern shore.

Thomas Hospital Reviews by Location