Thomas Jefferson University and Hospitals

Thomas Jefferson University and Hospitals Employee Reviews in United States

A friendly place to work
Critical Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 19, 2016
I believe this hospital provides great patient care. my co-workers in my department are friendly, hard working, and desire to provide the best care for each patient we care for. At times, because of the shortage of help, a typical work day can be very busy and tiresome. I love my manager. She is fair and shows concern for each worker under her supervision.
Pros
good health benefits, great pay
Cons
Parking expense, shortage in workers
It depends.
Commuter Services Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 25, 2015
Some departments are great to work for, while others are the exact opposite. I would not recommend working for this organization from my personal experience, however, my opinion is biased. Management supervising my position were incompetent and cost the University many years of a bloated salary when they shouldn't have ever been hired in the first place. Again this is biased towards my personal experience, but as a whole I think the University has more good than bad.
Pros
Hours and benefits.
Cons
Poor Management
Thomas Jefferson allows you to grow in many areas and gives you the opportunity to transfer to other exciting positions.
Certified Anesthesia Technician (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 12, 2015
A typical day can consist of setting up anesthesia equipment in areas like CVIR, Bronchoscopy Suite, Endoscopy or assist in a Liver Transplant Procedure.
I have learned many things about latest approaches to patient care in the anesthesia world and the latest in technology with equipment.
Management is always open to discuss any questions or concerns we may have.
The team we have in place is always ready to assist each other in many situations.
Some of the challenges I encounter are the distance between the various areas of care I am responsible for, as I am needed in two or three areas at one time.
The wealth of knowledge and resources I have access to, such as Nurse Anesthetist, Anesthesia Residents and Anesthesiologists. they are all willing to give answers to any questions I may present.
Pros
Competitive salary
Cons
Would be beneficial to have at least two more technicians to balance work load demands.
Review Summary
Instructional Design Specialist (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 16, 2016
Working with students and staff of TJU was demanding because they expect excellent service with 0 errors. Complaints and problems have to be solved quickly and satisfactorily. It is hard to initiate change in the institution, change and new ways of doing things has to start bottom up with one or two initial clients (professors) willing to spend the time and effort to try new things. Change is also risky as student complaints are taken seriously. The hardest part of the job is to bring about change. The most enjoyable part of the job is when change takes place with good results and student feedback.I learned how to work with perfectionists, people who excel in what they do, who never make mistakes and who expect the same from others working for or with them.
Pros
Learn a lot about Health Science education and the medical profession in general.
Cons
Organizational structure is complex. The curriculum map is too complex.
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
Registered Nurse (Medical Surgical - Pool) (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 17, 2016
As a pool nurse, you do not belong to a specific unit. You go to wherever there is a staffing need for that day and shift. You have to be a proficient and efficient nurse to be able to work at any unit at any given time when required. You must be skilled and diverse in patient management in a variety of complications. This is what makes this job exciting and rewarding. You go to work not knowing what nursing unit and patient population you will be caring for. You also do not know the nursing staff you will be working with. There is a lot of mystery before the start of your shift. This uncertainty is the hardest part of the job; not know who you will be working with and where you will be working. However, the most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work through the hospital. It provides a great learning experience.
Pros
Flexibility in scheduling, able to work throughout the hospital, opportunity to learn
Cons
no health benefits/paid-time-off (PTO)
Productive learning experience
File clerk (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 18, 2016
Overall I loved floating around and working for different departments. However it's almost two years since I've been a temp here and I am looking for a job that is more stable and can potentially turn into a career for me. Always a great staff. Management are great!
Pros
flexibility
Cons
being a temp
Challaging but satisfying work environment
Manager of Employee Relations (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 26, 2015
Coworkers are open and cooperative. Parking is a bear. Pay is "Ok" but there are long work hours and some times weekends to keep up.
Pros
Go pay and benefits
Cons
Managers some times short and over worked
Potential to be so much more
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 5, 2016
Over the years It was difficult to watch the commitment to scientific research decline. I was an amazing experience to be surrounded so many people dedicated to finding the answer to treat debilitating diseases with decreasing support and funding from the institution.

The best part of the job was knowing that everyone had the same goal and when long days in the lab became trying you could look around and see you weren't alone and that they, too, were committed to achieving that goal.
Solid Company
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 9, 2015
Solid company; flexible management; PTO: Strong Education Benefits; Large Academic medical center; Diverse clinical opportunities; Magnet Institution.
Productive and secure place to work.
Research Assistant B (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 9, 2015
My day was very well organized; I had a clear task for every hour of my day. I learned very advanced methods such as genetic injections of Drosophila Melanogaster embryos, isolation of eye discs; different staining technics; finew microscopic work, genetic screening and more.
Management and coworkers were very good.
the hardest part of job was some monotony when we were maintaining out huge fly collection. It was taking a few days each months.
The most enjoyable part was the feeling of satisfaction and completion when we were publishing papers and get grants. We were celebrating such events.
Pros
long vacation, 35 hours week.
Cons
low salary, no retirement plan for research assistans and below.
productive and very busy workplace
insurance verification coordinator (Current Employee) –  111 s 11th street philadelhia pa 19107August 10, 2015
review accounts for verification of eligibility and benefits, constant learning of various insurances/detailed oriented with lots of concentration/supportive management and co workers.
Pros
confident atmospher
Very Productive and Supportive Staff
Medical Assistant/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 6, 2016
Typical work day started at 8:30am. I was responsible for assisting NP and MD with bone marrow biopsy procedures. Assisted patients with dress and preparation of all procedures. Management was very effective in training and problem solving issues that patients may have. All co-workers were very supportive. I enjoyed the bonds that were created with all the patients and staff.
Manager
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 18, 2016
I had 24 hour accountability with a small staff and no opportunity to increase staff which was very difficult and I often worked as staff.
I learned many different aspects of management. I had support from the top management on down. The hardest part of the job was no flexibility of staff. The most enjoyable part was seeing patients before, during and after surgery.
Pros
Learning was great
Cons
Staffing small
Rn
REGISTERED NURSE (Current Employee) –  PhiladelphiaApril 18, 2015
Jefferson is a great hospital to work for. Every institution has its cons and pros but I have stayed with Jefferson because the good truly outweighs the bad. Recently there has been a lot of changes with uniforms, time keeping, and hospital management so people are currently adjusting. The computer systems are archaic and overall hospital technology for quality patient care and safety could be updated. I feel the compensation could be a little more competitive but overall I am satisfied with Jefferson.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PaAugust 23, 2015
Jefferson is an excellent place to start out and get your foot in the door. Very big and broad at what it is they stand for. All One Jefferson.
Pros
Benefits, Breaks, Salary
Cons
Judgement
Very large practuce
Referral Specialist Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 19, 2016
I started off as a PSR. My duties would include checking patients collecting any co-pays if necessary according to the patient insurane. I also were responsible for checking out and make patients next appointment according to their primary care physician request.
Pros
Jefferson Hospital positions offered UNION
Other nurses are very helpful
Registered Nurse/Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 6, 2016
Patients are very sick and require much care. However, most of the nurses pitch in and help each other. The nurse manager in the unit ensures that everyone is treated with respect and in a fair manner.
Pros
Salary satisfactory. Paid time off is generous.
Cons
Rarely given a lunch break. Difficult to get time off
Third shift phlebotomy
Phlebotomist-3rd Shift (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 10, 2016
Typical day of work consists of roaming the hospital waking patients up to draw their blood during the night.
I learned that if you are patient and don't rush through things, you can get a patient who may be a difficult stick.
The hardest part of my job is when staff is short and numbers are high.
I love talking and laughing with my patients, that's the most enjoyable part.
time to part ways
Patient Transporter (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 28, 2016
after nine years at this establishment with it helping me grow as a person, and being the place i meet my wife, its time i say goodbye. The pay is no longer seeming competitive. However the most crucial reason for this desired change is the change in its culture.
Pros
great employees
Cons
not appreciating their great employees
Productive work environment
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 7, 2016
While working at Jefferson Hospital during my co-op I had many opportunities to learn new tasks and strengthen my nursing skills. My co-workers were very kind and helpful. They were always willing to teach me new skills. The hardest part of the job was when I was on the 4:30am shift. The most enjoyable part of this job was that I honestly loved working there because I was surrounded by great co-workers and wonderful patients.

Thomas Jefferson University and Hospitals Reviews by Job Title