Thomas Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

RN (Former Employee) –  South Charleston, WVJanuary 14, 2017
Most of the staff was helpful and wilting to work with. Management was wiling to help with most issues. Encourages advancement in career.
Pros
Pay, benefits, and work area
Cons
Summary
Payroll Practitioner / Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  South Charleston, WVAugust 26, 2016
No room for advancement need to work on policy and procedures
Not good pay with your qualifications
need to work on turn over rate of employees
pay the employees what they are worth
Productive workplace, positive family oriented environment.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVJanuary 15, 2017
This was a very positive working experience ,friendly staff and coworkers, very family /patient oriented services; with modern facilities, and cutting edge techinology
Very Enjoyable
Summer Junior Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Physical TherapyDecember 14, 2016
I got to observe the nurses duties. I was allowed to visit with the patients and get to play with different games with them. It was a good experience to get to figure out what exactly you wanted to do when you grew up.
Friendly Community Hospital
Clinical Coordinator (Current Employee) –  South Charleston, WVAugust 30, 2016
I have worked at TMH for 35 years, I love the caring dedicated staff. I appreciate the individual attention given to all. I love that I have the freedom to round and visit with patients and staff.
Pros
Small caring community hospital
Friendly Office
Home Health file clerk/ reception (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVDecember 31, 2015
nice office to work in everyone was like family. was taught computer and different office procedures, Hard part of my job was getting Physicians to sigh orders and mail back in proper time period. most enjoyable was it was a job that varied everyday and was never boring all the co-workers were great for the most part it was always a fun place to work
Pros
great management in home health dept
Cons
felt at times needed more help for the office that could'nt get
Terrible management and staffing.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  South Charleston WVJune 9, 2015
Poor management. Terrible staffing. High turnover rate. Outdated equipment, equipment shortages. Lack of potential for advancement. High patient-nurse ratios leave the RN unable to care for patients as well as they should be. No nurse should repeatedly have to manage and care for 7 patients on a daily basis. Management and administrators aware of problems and have done nothing to solve said issues.
Sub-par experience for a post graduate
Microbiology Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  South Charleston, WVJune 9, 2012
If it wasn't for my current supervisor and the coworkers that I see day-to-day, then I would have never taken this job. The pay is sub-par for the amount of hours and labor into the job. The atmsophere is always stressful, and the job is very demanding. Very little exposure to actual testing, but some exposure to what testing is needed for certain patients.

I have learned to maintain the specimen receiving area, planting cultures, gram stains, and even managing the pending screen for the Microbiology department. I am thankful to my coworkers for allowing me to see and even help with amount of work they do day-to-day with a limited staff.
Pros
good coworkers, and an organized lab
Cons
pay, short-staffed, scheduling, hours, short breaks
Work Enviorment
Registration Clerk (Former Employee) –  South Charleston, WVSeptember 8, 2015
I loved the atmosphere of the job it's self. I enjoyed what I did, the management was not professional. My co-workers were wonderful people, I enjoyed seeing them everyday.
Thomas Memorial Hospital
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVJanuary 21, 2016
There are many wonderful opportunities to learn and the departments have flexible scheduling. The best thing is when my actions positively impact patient care!
Productive place had good and bad times
Emergency Room Registration Clerk (Former Employee) –  South Charleston, WVAugust 4, 2015
Had our busy and not so busy days and it was mostly quiet and you got to work unsupervised a lot of times which made it better.
Pros
getting work done. had team work most of the time
Cons
poor management
Nice patient owned hospital
ICU STAFF RN (Former Employee) –  ICUOctober 15, 2014
Hospital is struggling under budget woes, but has the best equipment and computer charting systems it can afford. Management was easy to work for. I seldom felt overwhelmed and had adequate time to do my job to the best of my ability.
However, training was inadequate and I often saw RN's learning procedures they were unfamiliar with on YouTube.
Pros
Nice work environment, Cheerful pleasant coworkers, good pay
Cons
Few training opportunities
great experience
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  South Charleston, WVAugust 30, 2013
I started out as a student and worked my way up to being an employee. I enjoyed working with everyone because they new I was still learning and was very helpful. The management was great and ran. I enjoyed learning things each day and working in Sterile Processing too help them out when they got behind.
Pros
experiencing everything that was new to me
Cons
the long drive
I was overworked, and underpaid.
Registered Nurse/Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVMay 12, 2014
-IV Insertion and Blood Drawls
-Foley Insertion
-Electronic and Paper Documentation
-Activities of Dailey Living
I was often times given tasks outside of my job description. The pay was not enough for the long hours in the hospital worked.
This is a productive and fun place to work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  South Charleston, WVMay 2, 2013
A typical day in the ICU involved caring for the critically ill patient. This required maintenance of respiratory ventilators, critical medications/equipment, constant monitoring of vital signs and lab work in order to adjust care accordingly. I worked with a great group of nurses who were like family. The hardest part of this job was the constant critical thinking and the attachments you tend to form with patients and family. The most enjoyable part was knowing that your helping patients and families in their most time of need.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
short breaks/ lunches
Productive and exciting place to work
Administrative Intern (Current Employee) –  South Charleston, WVJune 13, 2013
On a typical day, I attended various meetings with department heads and administrators. I got to witness first hand how decisions were made and the negotiations that took place in order to make those decisions. I worked along side a great staff of administrators. The hardest part about the job is the the variety of issues that arise on a daily basis; no two days are ever the same. The job requires a lot of thinking outside the box so it was challenging, but also rewarding as well when you see a project through completion.
Pros
Free lunches during meetings
Cons
Long workdays
For the most part it was a good Security job Management didn't work with life balance.
Registration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVSeptember 17, 2012
Obtain partinent information ot register and attach proper document to patient, For the Testing, that was ordered by their doctor.
Out patient and Er Registration, A long with medicare guidlines.codes for insurance billing.
Co workers are all team players there were four of us that did the registration in an orderly manor.
Getting the patient name date of birth, insurance and Doctors order correctley in the system.
not the best run hospital I've ever worked for
Emergency Department Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVFebruary 11, 2013
as stated above, lots of inexperienced persons in positions of authority, little or no training to further these persons clinical knowledge, typically work without a lunch break due to short staffing, exremely busy ER which is very difficult to function in due to out dated equipment.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
many inexperienced staff members
Compassionate people who strive to provide excellent patient care; room for advancement
Registered Nurse-Post Surgical/Ortho (Current Employee) –  South Charleston, WVMay 26, 2013
Had previously worked there for approx. 20 years but just needed a change and recently went back and there were still lots of the same faces who all have welcomed me back; its like an extended family.
The hardest part of the job was trying to figure out what the doctor was saying. I enjoyed every minute of my job.
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  South Charleston, WVOctober 27, 2014
I worked with some really fun people. My co-workers were always eager to help me. I learned to sift through the hard times and meet daily challenges.
Pros
Built some really special friendships
Cons
Leaving a good job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thomas Memorial Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Thomas Memorial Hospital Reviews by Location