Thomas Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Productive and fun
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVSeptember 2, 2017
Thomas memorial hospital was a good place to work they would always ask me to stay for some over time and I would work from 7pm to 11am if needed if I could I would go back..
Pros
The over time and bonuses
Cons
N/a
OK but would not recommend.
Sterile Processing Technician (Current Employee) –  South Charleston, WVAugust 31, 2017
Thomas could be a lot better if they paid more, and if they made all of the rules apply to everyone who works there, instead of just certain people. For my role, there really isn't much chance for advancement. And for the hours I have to work, I basically have no time for my family or anything else. They do not like to work with you with your schedule.
Overly stressful and not fair
Housekeeping/Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  South Charleston, WVAugust 21, 2017
If you work in any other department and are not a doctor or nurse, you are treated very poorly.

I work in housekeeping, and I by no means think I deserve to make more (or the same) than what a nurse or doctor makes (they have put in a lot of time, effort, and money to get where they are, so they do deserve it), but I and any other non-nursing employee (no matter what the position is or departmemt) play a vital role in the overall functions of the hospital, and we should be fairly compensated for it. Whether you are a nurse, a doctor, or a housekeeper, the ultimate goal is for the utmost and supreme care of the patient and to see them getting out our doors to continue living a healthy life. Period. End of story.

Some management and probably most of the higher-ups of the hospital do not care whatsoever, or so it would appear to be based upon their actions or the lack thereof.

It's sad that someone could go to the Sheetz nearby and be started out making more than what I make. As some have already said in previous reviews, this Hospital seems to care more about lining it's pockets versus taking care of its employees and patients.

If you take care of your employees, and invest in them, they become better versions of themselves which will ultimately yield better services to your bottom line (patients and their families in this case). It would be a win-win all the way around if things were done that way.
Pros
Full benefits available, flexible days off
Cons
Horrendous pay, atrocious staffing issues, old equipment, no room for growth
Productive workplace lots of employee involvement
Purchasing Assistant to Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  South Charleston, WV 25309August 16, 2017
Stressful but rewarding, nursing patient care, management was good for most part, work culture was very interactive, hardest part of job was losing a patient, most enjoyable part of job was helping patients.
Tmh
UNIT CLERK/CNA (Former Employee) –  South Charleston, WVAugust 7, 2017
It was a wonderful place to work with wonderful people that were always very helpful. I have no complaints and would absolutely tell anybody if possible work there.
Tmh
OR Nurse (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVAugust 6, 2017
Started out a small community hospital, continues to grow. Potential for advancement , and career growth . Very helpful HR department. Great support staff throughout facility. Professional and competent medical staff.
Pros
Career advancement
Cons
Ceo
Not great
Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  South Charleston, WVJuly 18, 2017
Low pay rate for a hard job. Management doesn't care about staffing needs or concerns. Hospital is all about the money instead of patient care. Higher seniority nurses losing their jobs to graduate nurses.
productive work place with customer service
Purchasing Assistant to Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  South Charleston, WV 25309July 15, 2017
Patient care, multiple nursing procedures, order and purchase hospital equipment and patient supplies, fast paced but always changing with patient needs, end of life care was hardest part of job, most enjoyable part of job was patient interaction and learning new tasks for patient care
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
long hours of standing and walking
Stressful
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVJuly 14, 2017
Too demanding for my personality type. Not enough therapist to get appointments for patients. Some employees talk to you like you are a child. Did not get enough training.
Pros
Cafeteria
Cons
No breaks, stress, lazy co-worker.
Life on the Psych floor
Staff nurse (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVJuly 11, 2017
I loved working on the behavioral health floor. Everyone worked well together. It was like having a second family. Everyone worked as a team and had was willing to assist you when help was needed.
Pros
co workers
Cons
lack of help on the medical floors
Changed a lot in past several years
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  South Charleston, WVJune 27, 2017
Short staffed. Staff is now just a number unlike it used to be. Used to be a wonderful place to work however it has gone downhill. Scheduling and pay are not great.
It was a great job and I worked at home.
Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  South Charleston, WVJune 21, 2017
The most enjoyable part of my job was that I was able to work at home. They were easy to work with and hated that my job was eliminated by voice recognition.
review summary
Pharmacy Technician I (Former Employee) –  South Charleston, WVJune 21, 2017
I enjoyed working here, I would love to come back. Unfortunately they will not work around your schooling in the pharmacy. I enjoyed everyone I worked with.
Registrar (Former Employee) –  South Charleston, WVJune 15, 2017
Great place to work. Very fair to employees. Management took a interest in employees and was fair. When busy, they always provided help to get caught up
Pros
good company
long hours and no pay
Certified Phlebotomy Technician (Former Employee) –  South Charleston, WVMay 11, 2017
If you find yourself working for the hospital don't expect much. The THSPP offices pay more and have better hours. The hospital will work you in the ground.
very friendly atmosphere that makes going to work enjoyable
Registered Respiratory Therapist BSRT (Current Employee) –  South Charleston, WVApril 11, 2017
A typical work day consists of providing patients with routine respiratory care. ER consists of routine and fast pace emergency situations. ICU consists of caring for the patient's with a more watchful eye. Overall, the people who are employed at this company are very nice. Having people who work with you instead of against you makes the job more enjoyable for everyone. This is one of the main reasons I decided to come work for this company.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
N/a
Community Hospital
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  South Charleston, WVApril 7, 2017
Work day can vary based on ED patient load and surgical scheduling. Level 3 trauma center that sees patients arriving from a broad geographical area. 125 bed facility.
Great place to work!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Charleston, WVMarch 17, 2017
I started with Thomas Memorial Hospital in 1987 and each work day/position was different. I learned how to become a great organizer and how to work with different personalities. The hospital sent me to classes to future my education. Management had it's ups and downs like any other large company. Overall great place to work. The hardest part was in the beginning because I worked shift work, but shortly after that I was promoted into 6 different positions during my 18 years there and all were day shift. Each position was a promotion, and with each job I was able to simplify it and also I was able to combine two jobs together to save on hiring another FTE. I was blessed to have accomplished what I did for the Hospital. I worked with a wonderful group of people.
Pros
Great place to work with many opportunities
Coworkers were very caring and considerate
LPN (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVFebruary 27, 2017
It was very hard work but was fulfilling. I got a lot of clinical experience. The hardest part was adjusting to the new atmosphere. the most enjoyable was taking care of patients
high turnover, poor patient care
Nurse (Former Employee) –  South Charleston, WVFebruary 8, 2017
No 'open-door' policy with upper Mgr or administration as claimed. No true advancement career wise. Management hired on 'the buddy system' and not bases on qualified crednitals or degree. No loyalty from the hospital for employees with years of devoted service.outdated equipment and software. Nurse to patient ratios unsafe. Poor JACO ratings. Units below standards, but administrative offices well decorate. I have worked for THS for 10+yrs w/o a single pay increase. An absurd amount of administrative staff with inflated salaries vs nursing and patient care staff with below average salaries. THS is poorly managed and overextended it's funds buy doctors practices and property. 97% of income can be claimed as 'administrative costs' and the organization can still be a nonprofit facility.
Pros
working with multiple staff
Cons
high turnover, substandard pay, poor patient care d/t staffing