Thomas Memorial Hospital

Thomas Memorial Hospital Employer Reviews

The hardest part of the job was trying to figure out what the doctor was saying. I enjoyed every minute of my job.
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee), South Charleston, WVOctober 27, 2014
Pros: built some really special friendships
Cons: leaving a good job
I worked with some really fun people. My co-workers were always eager to help me. I learned to sift through the hard times and meet daily challenges.
Nice patient owned hospital
ICU STAFF RN (Former Employee), ICUOctober 15, 2014
Pros: nice work environment, cheerful pleasant coworkers, good pay
Cons: few training opportunities
Hospital is struggling under budget woes, but has the best equipment and computer charting systems it can afford. Management was easy to work for. I seldom felt overwhelmed and had adequate time to do my job to the best of my ability.
However, training was inadequate and I often saw RN's learning procedures they were unfamiliar with on YouTube.
An ideal place to work
Administrator of Behavioral Health Services (Former Employee), Charleston, WVJuly 6, 2014
Challenging, motivating, friendly, employee friendly. Great Place to work.
I have made many friends there and I was able to develop many services for the community.
I was overworked, and underpaid.
Registered Nurse/Charge Nurse (Former Employee), Charleston, WVMay 12, 2014
-IV Insertion and Blood Drawls
-Foley Insertion
-Electronic and Paper Documentation
-Activities of Dailey Living
I was often times given tasks outside of my job description. The pay was not enough for the long hours in the hospital worked.
Great palce to work, caring staff.
County School RN (Former Employee), Madison, WVApril 2, 2014
Enjoyed my time working as an RN. Staff are patient care centered.
Nice group to work with
Registration Clerk (Current Employee), South Charleston, WVMarch 2, 2014
Pros: good pay, location
Cons: shift work, working weekend
Thomas Memorial Hospital is a very good place to work!
Registration is a fun and fast pace place to work.
Very rewarding job helping patients. Excellent coworkers.
MRI Technologist (Former Employee), Charleston, WVMarch 1, 2014
Was recently laid off from Thomas Memorial Hospital after 10 years of service. During my 10 years, however, I did enjoy what I did. Helping patients and interacting with them was very rewarding. Also made very good friends with my coworkers.
Emergency Room Setting with intakes
Intake/Assessment Coordinator (Former Employee), South Charleston, WVDecember 20, 2013
Pros: helping people during their time of crisis
Cons: not knowing their progress at a later date
Everyday was a new situation dealing with Emergency Room Intake/Assessment with individuals needing Mental Health and Substance Abuse referrals. I enjoyed this type of hands on work.
great experience
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee), South Charleston, WVAugust 30, 2013
Pros: experiencing everything that was new to me
Cons: the long drive
I started out as a student and worked my way up to being an employee. I enjoyed working with everyone because they new I was still learning and was very helpful. The management was great and ran. I enjoyed learning things each day and working in Sterile Processing too help them out when they got behind.
Productive and exciting place to work
Administrative Intern (Current Employee), South Charleston, WVJune 13, 2013
Pros: free lunches during meetings
Cons: long workdays
On a typical day, I attended various meetings with department heads and administrators. I got to witness first hand how decisions were made and the negotiations that took place in order to make those decisions. I worked along side a great staff of administrators. The hardest part about the job is the the variety of issues that arise on a daily basis; no two days are ever the same. The job requires a lot of thinking outside the box so it was challenging, but also rewarding as well when you see a project through completion.
Compassionate people who strive to provide excellent patient care; room for advancement
Registered Nurse-Post Surgical/Ortho (Current Employee), South Charleston, WVMay 26, 2013
Had previously worked there for approx. 20 years but just needed a change and recently went back and there were still lots of the same faces who all have welcomed me back; its like an extended family.
This is a productive and fun place to work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), South Charleston, WVMay 2, 2013
Pros: great work environment
Cons: short breaks/ lunches
A typical day in the ICU involved caring for the critically ill patient. This required maintenance of respiratory ventilators, critical medications/equipment, constant monitoring of vital signs and lab work in order to adjust care accordingly. I worked with a great group of nurses who were like family. The hardest part of this job was the constant critical thinking and the attachments you tend to form with patients and family. The most enjoyable part was knowing that your helping patients and families in their most time of need.
Excellent Summer Externship Experience
Nurse Intern - CardioPulmonary Unit (Former Employee), South Charleston, WVMarch 4, 2013
The new tower is beautiful to work in. The staff was very open to teaching me as a student. I learned a lot from this experience and recommend it to other Nursing Students.
not the best run hospital I've ever worked for
Emergency Department Staff RN (Current Employee), Charleston, WVFebruary 11, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: many inexperienced staff members
as stated above, lots of inexperienced persons in positions of authority, little or no training to further these persons clinical knowledge, typically work without a lunch break due to short staffing, exremely busy ER which is very difficult to function in due to out dated equipment.
For the most part it was a good Security job Management didn't work with life balance.
Registration Clerk (Former Employee), Charleston, WVSeptember 17, 2012
Obtain partinent information ot register and attach proper document to patient, For the Testing, that was ordered by their doctor.
Out patient and Er Registration, A long with medicare guidlines.codes for insurance billing.
Co workers are all team players there were four of us that did the registration in an orderly manor.
Getting the patient name date of birth, insurance and Doctors order correctley in the system.
Place for advancement
ER Registration Clerk (Current Employee), South Charleston, WVAugust 22, 2012
This is a good place for moving up. And they are willing to train
Follow Up Clerk - Patient Accounts/Receptionist (Current Employee), South Charleston, WVAugust 8, 2012
I enjoy getting to talk to the patients. I'm on the phone most of the day and I've learned to be very patient. I am fond of most of my co-workers, they make me feel welcome there.
Thomas Memorial
Neonatal Department Coordinator (Former Employee), Charleston, WVJuly 23, 2012
I enjoyed working in the Neonatal Department and working so closely with the Neonatologist on staff. Being the Department Coordinator provided me the experience of being the sole person responsible for every aspect of this department.
Sub-par experience for a post graduate
Microbiology Lab Assistant (Current Employee), South Charleston, WVJune 9, 2012
Pros: good coworkers, and an organized lab
Cons: pay, short-staffed, scheduling, hours, short breaks
If it wasn't for my current supervisor and the coworkers that I see day-to-day, then I would have never taken this job. The pay is sub-par for the amount of hours and labor into the job. The atmsophere is always stressful, and the job is very demanding. Very little exposure to actual testing, but some exposure to what testing is needed for certain patients.

I have learned to maintain the specimen receiving area, planting cultures, gram stains, and even managing the pending screen for the Microbiology department. I am thankful to my coworkers for allowing me to see and even help with amount of work they do day-to-day with a limited staff.

About Thomas Memorial Hospital

CAMC Health System is a catalyst for care in Charleston. The health network includes flagship facility Charleston Area Medical – Read more