THOMAS NELSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE Employee Reviews

Thomas Nelson
Administrative and Program Support Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAApril 21, 2017
Greet public on a daily basis. I learned how to process Travel and Reimbursement. the hardest part of the job was trying to obtain full time employment
Pros
Ability to learn new skills
Cons
Not able to obtain full time employment
The hardest part of the job
Director of Corporate Training (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAMarch 12, 2017
The hardest part of the job is that many people seek out working in education after they have retired from other careers. In my experience this employee is less apt to take risks and moves at a slower, more cautious pace. I think that the education industry is at a pivotal time where programs must be created swiftly due to the changing need for different skill sets in the 21st century. I know of a VP that worked in a marketing career 30 years ago and thinks that marketing starts with running an ad in the daily newspaper. Marketing requires a multi-touch approach. Most of the administrative faculty ranked professionals are very smart people that have advanced and PhD degrees. They have vision and lots of good ideas. However, they give the impression that they are better than others because of their advanced standing and they lack skills in managing and motivating others.
Pros
Plentiful leave benefits
Cons
Poor management and low employee morale
Human Resources Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAMarch 11, 2017
I like Thomas Nelson! I enjoy working for Thomas as a Work Study in the Human Resource department. The Director and colleagues are very professional and friendly.
Great place to work with great co-worker
Warehouse Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAFebruary 5, 2017
Communications from upper management used to take too long to reach all employees, although it has improved significantly over the past couple of years
Fun working environment
Basketball Captain (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 17, 2017
Working here I got to work with so many different people. Training different people was actually interesting to me. Being around others eager to learn new things actually motivated me.
Excellent Experience
Instructor (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJuly 29, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed teaching at TNCC. The students were great and they worked with my schedule. I grew as an instructor and as a student. My supervisors were great and always available.
Pros
Student Body
Challenging
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJune 7, 2016
Working with the VP for Finance & Administration is ever evolving and challenging. Position requires me to be very flexible and to ensure I am constantly on top of tasks and schedules.
Pros
Position is ever changing
Fast paced with lots of opportunity
Graduation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAMay 18, 2016
Absolutely loved this position. As graduation clerk I was able to use my meticulous detail to review graduate candidates eligibility requirements. I worked with faculty and administrators to ensure proper curriculum guidelines were meet.
Pros
interaction with students and their goals
Cons
I had to relocate with my family to Kentucky
Great People to work with
Human Resouces Administrative Office Support (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAMay 17, 2016
I had the best co-works. We all worked together very well they all were very helpful. They all were helpful in training me all their procedures at the College
Pros
Great People to work with..!!!!
Cons
I was only a contract worker employed by Caliper staffing
Beautiful location
Office & Administrative Support Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Hampton Roads, VAApril 28, 2016
Excellent source for higher learning. The Hampton Roads location makes the school accessible to seven different cities. The most enjoyable part of the job is my commitment to helping the youth of tomorrow.
Pros
Convenient to restaurants, stores, banks etc.
Cons
N/A
No comment
Enrollment Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAMarch 7, 2016
I miss working with my co-workers and helping the students. I would not recommend this community college to further your education. I recommend TCC.
TNCC has a great learning environment
Student (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAFebruary 17, 2016
The instructors at TNCC were very helpful in teaching the students in what we needed to know for the work place. Having the classes at nght helped many students maintain a job while going to school.
Tncc
Administrative & Office Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VANovember 3, 2015
A nice place to work for, but I'm ready for advancement and to learn something new. At TNCC it is hard to get that opportunity.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
No opportunity for advancement
Growth
Human Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 11, 2015
always offers ideas to solve problems based on good information and sound judgment.
Displays initiative and enthusiasm during everyday work.
Conducts research or seeks counsel of experts to gather information needed in making actual decisions.
great
Adjunct Professor- Sociology (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VASeptember 9, 2015
There is no full-time opportunity at the college, other-wise it's a great place to work. it's a very friendly environment, great staff and students.
Career Information Specialist
Career Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAAugust 12, 2015
A typical day at work was assisting the general public in job search assistance and career decisions through a process of company placed orientation and career counselling. I learned to expedite as many resources available to change the customer's circumstance of unemployment through company lay-off, RIF (Reduction-in-Force), and termination. Through the career center I provided job search assistance, information for federally funded education/training programs, career workshops and job fairs. Management was continually brainstorming by way of (bi-weekly) meetings to assist customers. The most difficult part of the job was the look on someone's face when they interviewed and were not selected. The most enjoyable part of the job was providing employment contacts and informing customers of their qualifications to receive education grants offered through the federal government.
Pros
Providing employment contacts.
Cons
Listening to customers who were financially stagnant, due to loss of employment.
Tncc
Office of the President (Former Employee) –  Exc. Ofc. Asst.July 29, 2015
Great place to work. It was my introduction into the field of education. I worked with faculty, staff and administrators. It was a great work experience.
Pros
Exposure to Higher Education
Rewarding, exciting, and productive
Human Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJune 26, 2015
Thomas Nelson as an organization required excellent from the door. It was a highly stressful environment, but rewarding to see thing manifest in a good way of course. I would have love to been offered an continuing position there, but the universe didn't work in my favor. Overall, that is my alma mater and I will always be a T.N.C.C. gator.
Educational, Fun and Productive.
Financial Aid Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJune 7, 2015
My typical work day consisted of meeting the students financial needed. I have learned to work at a fast pace and be more efficient for the job. My co-workers were awesome when it came to helping me learn my duties for the job. The hardest part of the job was delivering bad new to the student and their families. The most enjoyable part of the was helping students and their families.
Fun place to work!!
Work Study Student/ Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAApril 23, 2015
An everyday typical day was always fun to work and the cohesion of all the co-workers was great. The only con about working here is that the compensation wasn't great to start off and hard to advance in the workplace.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at THOMAS NELSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2