THOMAS NELSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE Employee Reviews

Thomas Nelson Community College for the most part has good professors and a wide range of class courses.
Business Administration (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAFebruary 17, 2018
TNCC is a good starting point for a wide range of career options. TNCC has a good student/professor ratio, has financial aid available if qualified, and has many student relations clubs wherein a student can become involved in campus activities
Poor leadership within the department
Faculty (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJanuary 29, 2018
The Dean was a challenge. She was controlling and unwilling to be flexible with staff. She overloaded work onto staff. She insulted staff members in front of others.
Didactic/Clinical Associate Professor
Didactic and Clinical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VA 23185December 4, 2017
Great opportunity in teaching at a junior college. Instruction on Dental hygiene. Learned a lot, and understanding different learning styles. The workplace is very diverse. Hardest part seeing some students struggle in certain things.
Most enjoyable part was seeing the inaugural class graduate in 2012 as they had 100% pass rate in both clinical state board examination and National Board written examination.
Floor Technician/ Campus Services (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VADecember 2, 2017
Excellent work environment. Great employees and supervisors. I love my job. Great pay and benefits, time off is great. I will be here for life and give all my dedication and loyality to my company.
A great place to work
Media Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VANovember 17, 2017
A fun environment to work and an opportunity to work for the state, and learn a lot of great things as well. Working with a lot of Profesors and intellectuals is a great opportunity.
Pros
Can work and go to school
Cons
not many cons
typical day at work
Director (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VANovember 7, 2017
I really do not have a typical day at work. Something new usually appears every day. This can be exciting, but stressful if you don't like the unexpected.
Good place
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 21, 2017
I adjuncted for two semesters and really enjoyed it there. The most enjoyable part of the job was the flexible schedules. They really allowed us to work when we wanted.
Pros
Good working relationships.
Cons
Tunnel traffic
Wonderful Oppurtunity To Network
Work Study Office Assistant - Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 18, 2017
Your experience working at Thomas Nelson depends on the department in which you work. I had the opportunity of working in the HR department and it was amazing. I worked 29 hours in the summer and 20 during the semester. My coworkers and supervisor were supportive.
Pros
schedule, enviroment, experience
Cons
N/a
Administrative, Clerical and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 6, 2017
I enjoyed my employment with Thomas Nelson and if I were to live
there again, I would love to be hired again. I love the management team and other staff affiliated with the Workforce Development Department.
TNCC A great place to Learn
Media Specialist 2 /Audio Visual Tech (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VASeptember 25, 2017
I'm one year deep in the culture of Thomas Nelson but it is a great place to work. TNCC A great place to Learn ....A Great Place to work. I love working in the audio visual department keeping up with the latest trends in technology.
Pros
Clean environment, friendly people, cheerful atmosphere
Cons
Traffic coming from Portsmouth

Want to know more about THOMAS NELSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE?

Ask a question
productive and fun place to work
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJuly 22, 2017
Sending, receiving and delivering mail on and off school campus. Picking up mail to be sent out from different departments on campus. Running mail through machine for proper postage.
Pros
pleasant environment
Cons
nothing
Excellent Community Resource!
Adjunct-Youth Career Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJune 22, 2017
Good place to work, provides great opportunity for work/live balance. Hardest part of the job is most jobs are only part-time making it difficult to maintain.
Pros
Focused on student success
Cons
Lack of coordination between academic-for credit and credential/workforce solutions departments
Great Supervisors and Flexibility
Office Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJune 21, 2017
A typical work day consisted of helping the Advisors with student enrollment and any typical office procedures that needed attention. Working with the Advising office is an ever learning experience. You learn more information about the College's procedures and its resources for every student.
Pros
They work really well with accommodating their student workers hours around their classes.
Cons
The pay is less desired.
Thomas Nelson Cares
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAMay 4, 2017
My favorite part about working for the CHSS Division at TNCC is the amount of care the faculty and administration has for adjunct instructors. Working at a community college can be taxing in that you have such a large variety of learners ranging in age, ability, and native tongues. While this has been a challenge for sure, I've found it to also be a blessing in that it has encouraged me to become a better teacher in all aspects from formal lecturing down to how I design my assignment documents.
Thomas Nelson
Administrative and Program Support Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAApril 21, 2017
Greet public on a daily basis. I learned how to process Travel and Reimbursement. the hardest part of the job was trying to obtain full time employment
Pros
Ability to learn new skills
Cons
Not able to obtain full time employment
Relaxing for college students to work
Veteran's Affairs Certifying Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAApril 6, 2017
Enjoyed my time working here and the staff are easy going. The managers in charge make sure that you get the training you need to make the job easier for you.
The hardest part of the job
Director of Corporate Training (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAMarch 12, 2017
The hardest part of the job is that many people seek out working in education after they have retired from other careers. In my experience this employee is less apt to take risks and moves at a slower, more cautious pace. I think that the education industry is at a pivotal time where programs must be created swiftly due to the changing need for different skill sets in the 21st century. I know of a VP that worked in a marketing career 30 years ago and thinks that marketing starts with running an ad in the daily newspaper. Marketing requires a multi-touch approach. Most of the administrative faculty ranked professionals are very smart people that have advanced and PhD degrees. They have vision and lots of good ideas. However, they give the impression that they are better than others because of their advanced standing and they lack skills in managing and motivating others.
Pros
Plentiful leave benefits
Cons
Poor management and low employee morale
Human Resources Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAMarch 11, 2017
I like Thomas Nelson! I enjoy working for Thomas as a Work Study in the Human Resource department. The Director and colleagues are very professional and friendly.
Great place to work with great co-worker
Warehouse Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAFebruary 5, 2017
Communications from upper management used to take too long to reach all employees, although it has improved significantly over the past couple of years
Fun working environment
Basketball Captain (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 17, 2017
Working here I got to work with so many different people. Training different people was actually interesting to me. Being around others eager to learn new things actually motivated me.