Thompson Construction Group, Inc. Employee Reviews

productive and fun place to work
Electrician Helper (Former Employee), Sumter, SCJuly 3, 2015
This job helped me learn a lot about what was in my degree plan and there was some great people there that didn't mind teaching me all there was to know.
growing family owned Construction Company
Payroll Administrator & Office Manager (Current Employee), Sumter, SCApril 29, 2015
Pros: smaller company with low turn over
Cons: no upward mobility
I maintain weekly payroll for 300+ people, other typical administrative work is required. I've assisted on compiling information for bidding projects. I've become proficient in Microsoft Excel and word.
Family Run
Office Manager (Former Employee), Clarkesville, GAMarch 10, 2015
Family Company that closed when the Economy went bad. Was able to meet new people and work from home when needed. We closed in January of 2008 and have missed it ever since.
enjoyable group of people to be around
boilermaker (Former Employee), moorseville scJanuary 22, 2015
its easy to go to workwhen you enjoy being around the people you work with .never a dull moment always something to do even if you are not sure how to do the task theres someone there to help and show you how and what you are doing . learning something new almost everyday .hardest part of my job was heavy lifting and the extreme heat inside a boiler unit
Excellent experience
contractor (Former Employee), Marengo, OHNovember 26, 2014
Great group of leaders and mentors. An excellent education in construction and safety.
Love working w the construction industry
Administrative Assistant to the Project Mgr. (Former Employee), Myrtle Beach, SCSeptember 30, 2014
Love working on the Hard Rock Park. Learned so much about billing, payroll,& estimating projects. Communication w builders was a great learning experience!!
checks went in every week
Crane Operator (Former Employee), Wallingford, CTSeptember 22, 2014
A big company that is continuing to grow.honest place to work.descent screening for good help.all management is family of someone in company
Good work environment, good, hard working men.
Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Greenbrier, ARMay 23, 2014
Typical day begins with safety meeting, planning day's work schedule and expected goals.
Management includes helping each worker be his best, co-workers willing to learn and do a good job.
I'm continually learning each man has his own skill set and deciding where to best place him to be most efficient and productive.
Making sure we meet schedules and deadlines is always foremost in my mind.
The most enjoyable is finishing a job, seeing the clients satisfied with our work and the men being proud of their accomplishments.
ensuring everyone gets home safely to their families.
Electrical superintendent (Former Employee), Anniston AlabamaMay 19, 2014
Typical day at work. First safety meeting,Second, assign daily work. For example,set 2 30 kva transformers, set mcc switchgear,install and terminate process instruments.Then,10:00 meeting with management to talk about contract modifications,deadlines,and outlook.Knowing my co workers strengths and weaknesses and places them where they can be productive. Hardest part of a job is having to lay off employees. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting deadlines in a safe and timely matter.
family run employee driven
Sub-Contractor Owner/Operator (Former Employee), Richmond KYMay 13, 2014
On a daily basis i would oversee and supervise one to two employees on job acquisition and implemenation. It was a family owned small business where we would complete construction tasks for the customer wher customer satisfaction was key.
Fast and productive work environment
Contractor (Current Employee), Richmond, VirginiaApril 16, 2014
Pros: since the company was in the phillip morris plant, i learned a lot about the production of cigarettes.
Cons: the amount of pay, and the atmosphere in which we worked.
A typical day of work included being efficient and fast paced during cleaning of all overhead and high rise above six feet, ice blasting and steam cleaning bins. I trained new hires on cleaning and making sure they were set up for success. One of the most difficult things in my particular job was covering conveyers with plastic, it involved wearing a harness with a lanyard and using D-rings to reach it.
all and all a good company to work for
Pipefitter (Former Employee), Decatur, ALMarch 10, 2014
learned a lot from the management and people I work with as we fit and installed piping systems in tight spaces. I love working outdoors and having new and different task to do everyday.
Never could do enough.
Employee (Former Employee), Charleston, SCMarch 2, 2014
Cons: get better field supervision.
Brothers were Micro Managers. Monthly meetings were a joke. Brothers even had words in some meetings. They cut costs in many areas of Safety.
rough construction
Pipe Fitter Helper (Former Employee), Sumter, SCJanuary 28, 2014
basic welders job, rushed project times. long hours but good pay
Good place to work.
Pipe Fitter (Former Employee), Huger,SC.January 5, 2014
Pros: co-workers were approachable: always safety minded: focused on doing the task right the first time.
Cons: commuting
Was really grateful to work this job.Messy? Yes! Greasy? Yes !Long Hours? Yes! Christmas Morning at Home with my family? Yes!!!
Good work Place
Pipe-fitter (Current Employee), Sumter, SCNovember 3, 2013
I have no problems with Thompson. Just need to be prepared when current job ends.
Not well managed
Superintendent (Former Employee), Mooresboro, NCSeptember 23, 2013
Cons: job site under constent confusion and lack off direction.
Owner and HR manager allows piping superintendent which is project managers son to belittle, demean, insult and create a hostile work environment for everyone he disagrees with. Very unprofessional and childish. Does not allow safety manager to do his job and is undermined by General Superintendent.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INSeptember 12, 2013
Pros: everything was well run. caring management.
Cons: nothing negative to say.
Worked hard, generally self-supervised. Demanding supervisors.
not all it's cracked up to be
superintendent (Former Employee), kentuckyAugust 13, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: no life/work balance
I worked on the industrial services side and saw a whole different side than Thompson Construction. The management lie and there is no work/life balance. The expectations were rough and they had no sympathy. Would not recommend this business to anyone.
Work steadly
Field Mechanic and HVAC Technician (Former Employee), Myrtle Beach, SCJune 11, 2013
I like the people that I worked with. We stayed busy and did our work.