Thompson Construction Group, Inc. Employee Reviews

good work place culture.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Sumter, SCSeptember 27, 2017
the day of work was busy but not hard . Everybody worked togather and if you needed help all you had to do was ask.Management would keep you up to date on the job
Pros
the people
Cons
work hours sometimes
Productive, clean
Laborer / apprentice (Former Employee) –  Angels City, CASeptember 26, 2017
Very productive, clean work environment, management was amazing, co-worker's helped when I had to learn or needed assistance, I really enjoyed working for the company
Pros
Clean, professional work
Small Crews
Journeyman Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALSeptember 12, 2017
Thompson has smaller crews than I am used to working for. That makes it an idea company to me. The only problem was the pay scale is one of the lowest in the industry.
Productive and clean work place
Pipefitter helper/firewatcher (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAAugust 15, 2017
If I could work with this company again I would do it all over again this place where the best place to work at the people and Foreman's where very generous
Pros
Great breaks
Cons
No lunch
Ok work place
Lead (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 2, 2017
Ok work place some managers are respectful some aren't not very much raises barely wanted to pay u for certifications not a great work environment don't show or give you respect
Industrial Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Sumter, SCJune 29, 2017
Awesome company to work for, but not much room for advancement in my career field. We provide contract maintenance to manufacturing companies. Salary is highly dependent on the customer and demographic area.
Pros
Solid stable company
Cons
Slow to recieve salary increases
Na
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCJune 19, 2017
Worked 3rd shift and General Electric. The machine I worked on was the Filling Wielder. Even though it was at times a cut throat way of throwing people under the bus. I still would recommend some to work there because of the benefits and pay.
At marshall
Pipe fitter and boilermaker (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, NCJune 13, 2017
The jobs have been safe, which is first in my apinion. All the workers had great atitudes The job at marshall nc ,When we needed any thing on the job to work with they got it for us. So over all the job was great
Great job
Trim Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALJune 5, 2017
The hours are flexible, the work is easy and the pay is good. The owner of the company is a well respected man and takes very god care of his employees.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Hard working skilled pipe welder
Pipe Welder (Former Employee) –  Charleston, TNMay 17, 2017
My typical day at work consist of making repairs and replacing pipe at a chemical plant. I have learned a great deal over my years of welding pipe. I pay close attention to details on my welding, every weld is an xray quality weld. My work culture would consist of working in a chemical plant on a daily basis. Hardest part of my job is putting my trust in a 60 year old chemical plant that is falling apart. I love working with the guys I work with, they are like one big family.
Pros
Working in a family environment
Cons
chemical plant falling apart.
Would greatly recommend
Pipe and Iron Worker Helper (Former Employee) –  Charleston, TNMay 12, 2017
The typical day was a fun, safe, and productive experience. This was my first construction job and everyone made sure to teach me the proper and safest way of doing things. Safety was the number one concern from day to day as it should be.
Pros
Workplace attitudes
Cons
Cannot think of one
Productive fun place to work
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCApril 19, 2017
Thompson was a very good place to work. Very big on safety, everybody got along well and were very helpful to others. also very productive. i truly enjoyed my time there.
Pros
everything about it
It use to be a great place to work
Lead (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 22, 2017
U don't have job security being a contractor . U will be treated poorly by the company. The employee were never safe. Being a hated contractor by the company that hired u makes it impossible to have a pleasant day.
Pros
Lunch hour
Cons
No good benefits
Not an equal opportunity employer
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 27, 2017
a typical day at work consist of first setting myself up for success. Getting together all the supplies that i may need within that days time. Pretty much stocking up on materials needed. Finding out what i may be doing for the day. Head out to my worksite and get down to business.
Worse Job in the History of Jobs
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCJanuary 12, 2017
Poor communication from management.

Management lies and has no desire to do anything for the employees. I have never seen anything like it.

Probably a good company but the management on this shutdown ruined my whole perception of this company as a whole.
Pros
30 minutes for lunch
Cons
Management Sux
Good Company, Bad Experience
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Cross, SCJanuary 6, 2017
Communication to employees isn't that great.
I was promised a year and half of work so I drug-up a job with a foreman position to go work for them. I worked for two months and was laid off.
None of the management I worked for on this job would answer any questions or return my phone calls.
I never received a pay stub the whole two months I was on this job and I requested it over and over, from my Foreman, GF and Superintendent.
Other then that.... Great Job!
Pros
It's work
Cons
Nobody here cares
very productive work environment
Roofer/Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, OHDecember 21, 2016
good work lost of money to be made with these guys had a tun of fun at work and we became a family right off and still remain close to this day i learned alot from them and am very greatful to have had the chance to worked with such a great bunch of guys
Pros
good company really took care of his employees
Cons
ran out of work
Roofing
Lead Crew Manager- Building (Current Employee) –  Sudlersville, MDNovember 23, 2016
This job completely sucks. The boss doesnt even work half time, doesnt tell anyone the hours and such to work or where we are working at. The pay is really not great. I will not be back
Family Oriented Company and employer was very good to all employees.
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Thibodaux, LANovember 16, 2016
Very family oriented as in family came first. Would work with us if a family emergency happened and would help in any way possible. Very good atmosphere to work in. I would not have left if times hadn't gotten slow and i was asked to retire early. I agreed as I didn't want the younger girls to lose hours.
Pretty much a joke of a company
Combo Welder (Current Employee) –  Osceola, AROctober 16, 2016
I have worked for Thompson for almost a year. The only reason being is I'm close to home. They have no management what so ever. For example they will put inworkers as pipe foreman's. You give them 100% and they really don't care. Benefits are in place if you want to spend a chuck for them. I do enjoy working with most of my coworkers but supervision is terrible and makes it hard to stay. Good luck to anyone that works for them. I'm fixing to move on to a different job since I can no longer put up with the bs. Like one day I dragged welding lead back and forth for 6 hrs never striking a arc, then put me on a hot job that had to be done ASAP, but took 3 hrs to get the parts to weld. This is just a little of the bs you will deal with. They will also tell you tons of lies to get you to stay, but I wouldn't believe none of them.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Everything you can imagine

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thompson Construction Group, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.