Thompson Engineering Employee Reviews

Good pay with poor management
Senior Designer (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALOctober 14, 2016
The middle of the road employees (the group that are producers) are great people to work with and really take pride in their finish product.
But that doesn't matter to the elite management they are too busy taking care of their favorites (friends, family members and college roommate buddies). The producers are the ones that made this company the brand it is and they do so in an unselfish manner.
I can't say that for the management who look down on the little guy that provides them with their lavish lifestyle..
Pros
Flex Time, Great people to work with
Cons
Management is below average
Easy job
Debris Monitor (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 4, 2016
Coworkers very rude, job can end at any time, management play's favorites, overtime is good, hours are long but you work an hour then your off an hour waiting.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Rude coworkers
Great place to work!
Administrative Assistant/Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 13, 2016
The most FUN job I've ever had and very laid back atmosphere. Geared for someone who is used to a normal to slow pace and doesn't need much chaos within their daily job life!
Pros
The people are fabulous
Cons
A little slower than my normal pace
Top of the State in Construction Engineering Inspection for DOT.
Construction Engineering Inspector (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 12, 2013
Ensured delivery of a quality project to the DOT through quality assurance inspection of all aspects of a large roadway construction project including clearing & grubbing, drainage structures, erosion control, subgrade, utilities relocation, bridge construction, and asphalt placement etc.

I learned all aspects of DOT specifications and standard drawings. I became very skilled in interpreting roadway construction drawings and standard drawings. I was able to develop and effectively use communication skills with contractors and clients. I also was able to construct formal missives for DOT approval. I also gained experience in the field office with monthly estimate, document control, and construction quantities.
Pros
Outdoor work, company truck, great benefits with matching 401k
Cons
Some night work
Things I liked and didn't like about this company
Offhshore Drillers assistant (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALAugust 23, 2014
I really enjoyed working for this company had a lot of perks more of a mom and pop organizations when it came to work. A little under managed a little much on the finger pointing. People not taking responsibility for there actions. But when work came about everybody was all hands on deck. Slight downer on work didn't stay constantly busy. Which made my offshore career in drilling a bit slow .
Pros
Great healthcare and benefits
Cons
Under managed, Dead work periods, finger pointing.
Large turn over of employees...always hiring
Driller (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 1, 2016
It seems to be common practice for this company to hire during busy times. Once job completed then they down size. Management needs more experience in the drilling industry. Drama queens are plentiful. If you can tolerate the drama exspect it to only be a two month temp job at best.
Pros
A temp paycheck
Cons
Drama queens
Great people, family orientated, great reputation within the industry
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cottage Hill Road, Mobile, ALJune 28, 2012
A typical day of work for me includes supporting the Chief Executive Officer and the Chief Legal Officer with various duties throughout the day. While at Thompson I have had the opportunity to meet many clients that I have formed a relationship with. The company is very family orientated, and cares about their employees. The hardest part of my job is knowing confidential information that cannot be disclosed to other employees (such as a termination, etc.). I feel very close to most of my co-workers and knowing information that will affect them, is discerning. However, it is part of my job so I comply. The most enjoyable part of my job is having the opportunity to travel with my boss for client meetings, employee meetings, etc. I enjoy getting a chance to know our field employees. Thompson overall is a great place to work.
Pros
travel, conference, and additional training opportunities
Cons
distance to work
Productive and great place to work
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Biloxi, MSJanuary 16, 2014
A typical day would be answering phones, assist with Engineers and Office Manager with any needs they may have. Filing, ordering supplies, any deliveries that need to be made, etc.
I have learned how to do invoicing and the importance of getting invoices from subs and others on a timely basis.
The management is great and very personable.
Co-workers are great to work with.
I can not think of anything on my job that is extremely hard.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that I am not micro-managed. The Office Manager is great to work with.
Fun and Educational place to work
Electronics Assembler /Technician (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAOctober 1, 2012
Typical day of work consist of assembling a system from start to finish then programmed and tested the system and have it ready for delivery and installation. great co-workers very helpful and we always worked as a team
Pros
great pay and hours
Cons
healthcare
Great place to work.
Reptionist (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 3, 2013
Thompson was a great place to work. The atmosphere was friendly and family like. Due to the economy lay offs became necessary. Many people have lost their jobs and if they are lucky they will find another company with the same qualities as Thompson.
Educational, enjoyable work environment
CAD Operator (Former Employee) –  Charlestown, MAOctober 2, 2012
Every day was a new opportunity to learn a little more about electrical engineering, and the preparation of Construction Documents.

The relaxed work environment was comfortable, yet very productive.
Excellent place to work.
Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJune 3, 2014
I learned a lot during my internship with Thompson Engineering. The people are great and very helpful. It is a wonderful company that gets involved in the community.
Temporary field supervisor for tornado debris cleanup.
Field Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calhoun County, ALJanuary 10, 2014
Field Supervisor
- train ROW & ROE monitors
- survey PPDR
- survey culverts, stumps and leaning trees
Pros
Great Pay!
Cons
Work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. Job was temporary.
Great people to work with
Training and Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Riverside,CAAugust 1, 2013
Great people to work with. Learned great customer relation skills.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thompson Engineering. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8