Thomson Reuters Employee Reviews

My team was supportive and everyone was willing to pitch in to meet deadlines.
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 2, 2016
Most team members worked remotely so we had weekly conference calls to provide progress and updates on progress. We had the chance to work independently as well as collaboratively.
My co-workers were the greatest--very supportive and willing to help out to meet deadlines if necessary.
My boss held monthly information meetings to help us learn new skills that would enhance our job performance.
Great place to work with job security and enforced work/life balance
DIGITAL MARKETING INTERN (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNNovember 15, 2016
Working here opens the doors to so many opportunities. Their training for interns puts more emphasis on preparing you for the future you desire than a future with the company, and the VP of Customer Operations takes the time to learn everybody's names and get to know you pretty well.

Strong emphasis on work/life balance at this company. They ask that you don't take your work home with you, and they are heavy on the coffee breaks.

Overall great place to work!
Pros
Caring management, fair benefits, opportunities for growth
Cons
Low work ethic
Very political, slow and sloppy
Sr. Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 28, 2016
TR is constantly changing management hierarchy which became a bit tedious and confusing. As with large companies of this nature, the bottom line is saved for the stockholders. Massive layoffs were expected on a bi-annual basis with very little domestic back-filling. Most of the technical development was moved to a consulting firm in India which had competing objectives with TR and made the job more difficult than it should have been.
Pros
large network with opportunity to learn many skills.
Cons
constant flux that created a constant uncertainty
Great products, great money, no life.
Account Manager, Tax & Accounting (Current Employee) –  USAOctober 25, 2016
Great products, good company, pretty tough when it comes to work life balance. I have worked here for over 3 years and almost every week I work 70 hours or more. It's very tough to take a vacation and succeed. If you are single and/or don't have a life, it's great because you can make a lot of money. If you have a family and you are dedicated to your family, it can be really rough. The health care benefits are pretty expensive.
Pros
Great money, best products in the market!
Cons
Work-life balance is very bad.
IT Business Analyst
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Creve Coeur, MOOctober 18, 2016
The department I worked in was new, having recently developed a data transfer device that was milliseconds faster than the one currently used. Therefore there was a rush to include all the stock exchanges. The learning curve was steep and training systems were not in place, so I found the job challenging but exciting. A typical day was simply going in and picking up where I left off the day before. I learned that I could work independently and could be a leader.
Pros
Pride in working for a company of Reuters' stature
Cons
Frustration of deadlines that were sometimes very challenging
Experience at Thomson Reuters
Project Delivery Manager & Technical Lead (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaNovember 1, 2016
Thomson Reuters is a top-ranking information services company with over 50,000 employees. Senior Management did not hesitate to lay off as many people as they possibly could, but they never gave up on their bonuses. Though, my working experience was great, but the phase was pretty rough. I really enjoyed the technical aspect of the project, and don't regret the opportunity.
Absolutely great place to work.
Senior Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WISeptember 12, 2016
It has been several years since I worked here. When I did work there, they had a very family oriented work place. My wife was going through some health issues and they were very understanding, sometimes going above and beyond what most people would do.
At the time I worked there, before the implementation of obamacare, they had outstanding health, dental and vision insurance. I am not sure what it is now.
I saw several people move up within the company which was a really nice change from some companies I have worked for.
Pros
Great people to work with and, at the time, great benefits.
RE: Good benefits, and envioronment
Technology Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 30, 2016
Enjoyable place to work. Would like to see more stability and less change. Micromanagement is everywhere and the next change is always just around the corner. It is hard to be effective in an environment where you are always looking over your shoulder.
Pros
Benefits (health isn't as good, near as good as it used to be)
Cons
Constant reorganization
Good work-life balance, nice people to work with
Client Manager, Corporate Legal Departments (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 21, 2016
Good work-life balance; nice people. Good pay and benefits. Nice and supportive culture. Management is supportive and company offers lots of opportunities for career and personal growth
Pros
Work-Life Balance
Cons
Divisions that don't perform well will quickly have layoffs
Thomson Reuters
Change and Implementation Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 11, 2016
The management in this organization is extremely supportive and provide you opportunities to grow and thrive in a competitive environment. This company will drive you to be self motivated and will allow you to be truly successful.
Pros
Great benefits, opportunities for growth
Cons
You have to be self motivated
I really enjoyed working at Thomson Reuters
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, TXAugust 13, 2016
This position gave me so much knowledge in the tax industry that I use to this day. I started off knowing absolutely nothing about taxes but now I could show you how to prepare them and which forms you should use. I worked with a small team of motivated individuals that paid attention to detail. I also had the best supervisor and manager anyone could ask for.
Flexible schedule and possibility of telecommuting, low salary, stressful
Scientific Analyst (Current Employee) –  USAAugust 17, 2016
Good idea of work/life balance, but very understaffed, so, typically 40+ hours week with a lot of stress and pressure of deadlines. Low salary. Very nice team members. Flexible schedule with possibility of working from home. Good benefits.
Pros
Flexible schedule, possibility of telecommuting
Cons
40+ hours week, low salary
Fun and Laid back
Global Remote Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  n/aOctober 4, 2016
Fun place to work at but job advancement can be lengthy. Job trainings are rare and most are not related to current responsibilities. Co-workers are laid back and easy to work with. There are celebrations every once in a while which is a change of pace.
Pros
Laid back environment
Cons
reaching unrealistic metrics
Flexible hours and traveling
Account Manager Training Executive (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 7, 2016
For twelve years my day to day responsibly was to make sure all my users had trainings on their Financial software and if they had any billing, training issues I would help with those. My co-workers and I had a great relationship working together as a team to be successful.
Pros
Traveling and flexible hours
Cons
Too many management changes.
Great Place to work
Manager, Virtualization (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2016
What I really enjoy about working at Thomson Reuters is its culture. The diversity of its staff and it literally has offices everywhere in the world. Gives the opportunity to hear different perspectives which helps innovate. Great place to work and learn.
Pros
Work-Life Balance.
Cons
Frequent Re-organization.
Productive and Friendly Atmosphere
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNDecember 1, 2016
Good team, manageable workload, Good Management, Learnt several new skills like Java, Spring, Oracle etc. More Vacation. Helpful Co-Workers.
Pros
Healthcare, 4 weeks vacation, 6 days sick leave, 3 personal days
Cons
Not enough opportunity to get promoted for those in Tech side
Great opportunities to learn if you pursue them
Publishing Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNAugust 15, 2016
At times the hours could be long, and there were some layoffs, but if you put in some effort there were many opportunities to expand your skills and learn new things. Compensation could vary a lot, but the benefits package was really good.
Pros
Excellent learning environment
Cons
Job insecurity, long hours
Disapproved with business practice
Manager, Sales Tax (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 14, 2016
Supervise staff Tax accountants. Prepared and reviewed sales and use tax of various assigned companies. Reviewed daily set goals. Do one on one reviews as needed and performed weekly meetings.

Effective communication produces positive outcomes. Also, empathy goes a long way. Understanding and honesty with co-workers get the needed results. Treating them with the utmost respect and fairness increases productivity.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the willingness my subordinates demonstrated to assist with what ever task was assigned to them and their ability to combine hard work with fun.

The hardest part of the job was the challenging business practice I could not change.
Pros
Highly productive staff
Cons
Business practice
Productive place to work, many good co-workers.
Senior Technical Business Analyst, Inf Systems (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNSeptember 26, 2016
Productive place to work, many good co-workers. Enjoyed working there and learned a great deal. Had opportunities to work across departments on many projects (large and small).
Pros
On-site cafeterias, embraces new technology, good environment.
Fast-paced, chaotic, constant re-orgs, but overall good place to be
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 9, 2016
If you're into chaos and enjoy a fast-paced, frequently changing environment, then this is the place for you.

There is certainly a "Work hard, play hard" ethic here. Many people work a significant amount of hours, but are also compensated for their efforts in the form of recognition, bonuses, etc.

Management has a clear vision and is constantly trying to tune the internal engine to perform as good as possible.

Overall a good place to work.

The one downside is the "Mothership" mentality of the folks in Eagan, MN. Although the CEO resides in New York City, the largest percentage of employees are located in Eagan, MN. The Eagan folks have an "Eagan First" mentality and staff at other locations are all expected to fall in-line with Eagan's way of doing business.
Pros
Nice offices, employee stock purchase plan, bonuses
Cons
Expensive healthcare, "Mother ship" in Minnesota