Thomson Reuters Employee Reviews in United States

Thomson Reuters
Associate Director, Capital Markets Consulting (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 20, 2016
The work culture is great and many opportunities for career advancement and professional growth. The benefits have gotten better in the last year. There have been improvements in benefits. There is a company wide training day workshop for new hires. It would be great, if there was a specific training to hire's division. The tech team, surprisingly, has long wait periods and resolution times are very delayed.
Good work life balance with friendly colleagues but poor career mobility
Global Product Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 19, 2015
Thomson Reuters is generally a good place to jump start your career. You work with good people who are dedicated and care about the company. However resources are stretched very thin so you are doing more than one person's job and not being recognized for it, as career mobility is difficult in the company. However, the work life balance is great.
Pros
Good people, good work life balance, benefits are OK
Cons
lack of career mobility, lack of investment, lack of innovation, half the company is bleeding cash and the profitable side sustains the whole company
Downhill since the Reuters merger
Editorial Associate (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNJanuary 27, 2016
Thomson Reuters has been heavily outsourcing in recent years, putting pressure on existing staff. There are some nice perks, such as a fitness room downstairs, and a Caribou Coffee inside the building, but staff is pressured not to use it because of their workload. That said, some departments are better than others. It just boils down to whether or not your department is the cash cow at the moment. The co-workers are generally the best part of TR.
Pros
Nice little perks - there's basically a city inside a building
Cons
Sub-average salary, outsourcing issues
Good benefits and work life
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNMarch 6, 2016
They have good benefits.
Good company to start your career at.
But not many opportunities to move up, and pay and pay raise isn't very competitive
Cons
Pay
HR Payroll Sr Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Stamford Ct.October 12, 2015
I LOVED working at Thomson Reuters. They sold the newspaper business - so you have to be willing to move a lot with them. We moved to Penn. Connecticut, and North Carolina with Thomson - when they wanted us to move to Minneapolis, New York, or London, we said No, but a part of us wish we had stayed with Thomson and moved to London!!! It pays very well and even had a pension plan when I worked there. If they had a job for me today I would take it!!!! The work is challenging and there is no hand holding!!!

I learned a lot from the VP of HR and the CEO was so much FUN! They let us buy the latest and greatest technology and really listened and supported us when we had ideas to implement needed updates in different ways. Great cafeteria - loved the people I worked with.
Pros
Great pay - great benefits - challenging work
Cons
moved a lot
Great people, but company needs some upkeep
Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Carrollton, TXOctober 13, 2015
The company's size is its greatest strength and weakness. Has great benefits and vacation time. Job security/advancement for my area is limited, but it's a big enough company to have options to move to other departments. Managers are very supportive, all of my coworkers are great. For a tech support job, the pay is pretty good.

Hardest thing about the job is working with the different departments. It's not that the people are bad, but because there are SO many products, it's common for people to get confused on what's going on. Miscommunication is HUGE because of this, which causes solutions to be delayed, mistakes to be made, and customers get upset. Also, some of our product software haven't been updated since Windows XP. Our development team is overworked, and they get the bare minimum done before moving on. Because of this, if a product isn't completely broken, any other fixes to it could take years if you're lucky.
Pros
Great benefits, awesome people at every level
Cons
Company is too big to be managed properly- causes a lot of headaches
Thomson Reuters a good place to work
Technology Sourcing Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 12, 2015
Thomson reuters has potential to be a great place to work. The environment is excellent and the work life balance is something they try to focus on. However, the organization is constantly in flux and the decentralized nature of the organization makes it difficult for any real change or progress to come about.
Pros
Work Life balance, benefits
Cons
Decentralized, constantly changing
fun place
Automation QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNFebruary 9, 2016
It has a cool environment and the management is good.Salary compensation is also good.Holidays are also good comparing to other companies.
Good Experience
sales representative (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 18, 2015
Overall it has been a great experience working for Thomson Reuters. They offer several different advancement positions, lots of areas to grow within the company. Perfect job for a recent grad or someone new to sales. They help to develop talent as well as your career in the industry as a whole.
Pros
training, security
Cons
low base salary
Whatever happened to this company?
Business Development/Sales (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 12, 2016
When I first joined many moons ago there was a common goal of getting the job done and maintaining a desirable work/life balance.

Fast forward to a very poorly executed merger(Thomson bought Reuters at some ludicrous multiple) and it didn't take long afterward for the wheels to come off the truck.

Fear, do whatever Bloomberg & Factset are doing(that is, besides offer a high quality product..lol) and throw out the old and bring in the "new".

That is except for management where the mantra is "keep the old guard around who basically know nothing about the financial markets but excel at the all important game of office politics."

All, and I mean all, promotions and advancement are based around the hiring party feeling comfortable that you have their "back". In other words, those that are "leading" this once great company place having pawns around them as more important than someone who might ruffle feathers for the betterment of the overall company.

There's no "this is better for the company" attitude at TR. It's all about infighting and sniping behind each others backs so as to hopefully avoiding the fate bestowed on the many thousands recently let go in the past few years.

Very unfortunate as this used to be a great place to work..both compensation and benefits offered have declined greatly in the past number of years.
Pros
Nice building, holiday benefit is still decent(although was much, much better), smart people can still be found
Cons
Insecure leadership, products that aren't consistent, a business and compensation structure that changes regularly, a let's do whatever Bloomberg is doing and hire anyone that they discard mentiality
Family enviroment
Financial Processor (Former Employee) –  Valhalla, NYJanuary 24, 2016
I enjoyed my colleagues and the benefits that came with being an employee at Thomson Reuters. Being able to work from home was an added benefit.
Great place to work for
Sales & Account Management Trainer (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNDecember 4, 2015
I loved working at Thomson Reuters. I started out as an inside account manager and was promoted to sales trainer. Great work/life balance, reasonable benefits and support.
Thomson Reuters Review
Regional Business Manager for Eikon (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 9, 2015
Thomson Reuters is a great place to work. They pay well, and offer wonderful benefits. The work life balance offered is much better than other companies (especially in the financial space), since most work can be done remotely, allowing for flexibility in your work and work-from-home schedule. There are many opportunities for advancement, so long as you have a large network and prove yourself in your current role. However, Thomson Reuters culture suffers from political differences in vision between various levels of upper management. There are times when it seems that politics drive decisions more than customer requirements, and since I am in a customer-facing role, I have been able to see the effect of these decisions. I am only familiar with the segment of TR I work in, which is the Financial and Risk business, so this review applies to that group only.
The Pioneer Press and Minneapolis Tribune were always on the break table!
Legal Verification Generalist (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNJuly 17, 2015
Thomson Reuters was a great place to work in the meaning of true learning opportunities in the field of law. In the course of my 25 year tenure, I held positions of great interest and educational values. I held positions which required meticulous attention to detail and excellent verification skills. I also was given the chance to work with people like headnote writers and attorney editors who were not only personal friends, but I also learned skills such as editing from them. It was a nice experience in my life that I will always remember with fondness.
Pros
Frequent raises, variety of work positions
Cons
Having to leave the company due to layoff in 2011
Not minority friendly
Product Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 9, 2015
As far as the office in Ann Arbor, MI, there isn't much room for advancement for minorities within the company. There are no minorities in upper management, and managers tend to show favorites within the office. All accountability falls on the support reps, and none on Team leads or team supervisors. Hardest part of the job is getting the adequate training needed to be successful. There is no testing after training and you are expected to meet/exceed productivity goals on day one, with no learning curve.
Pros
amazing benefits and PTO availability
Cons
poor training and management doesn't consist of any minorities.
Productive and fun work place
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIOctober 6, 2015
You were able to work on a steady pace, answering phone calls, assisting clients. All your sources were provided easily in your computer, you also had sources outside your desk. Everyone worked as a team and your goal was to help one another to make sure the customer is getting the correct service and answers. Excellent company to work for.
Pros
Free beverages, great vacation time, great benefits
Great co-workers, horrendous management
Thomson Reuters (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 3, 2015
TR goes further downhill on a daily basis, at least from an employee perspective. They cut benefits, yet they have the money to create stupid executive positions like "Chief Customer Officer" and "Chief Strategy Officer" - I guess the CEO doesn't know anything about strategy. All that matters around here is short-term statistics that make management look good, never taking into account the fact that they're nothing without the rest of us and over the long term there will be a price to pay. There are a lot of unhappy people here.
Friendly and comfortable environment to be in
Systems Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMay 5, 2016
Typical day: Responding to current emails in my inbox, working on open and new customer tickets, answering phones in the technical support program and OS Systems related phone queues, helping customer resolve new issues.

Management: Very pleasant and easy to get along with. Usually in meetings the majority of the day.

Co-Workers: The best part of the job, very friendly and the environment is great to work in.

Hardest part of the job: Busy season (tax season), when the calls are back to back for 9-10 hours straight.

Most enjoyable part of the job: My co-workers.

What I learned: I learned a lot about troubleshooting operating systems and installation issues and a lot about our cloud storage and virtual office suite that is in a citrix based environment.
Pros
Your co-workers
Cons
Short breaks
Productive and fun
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WIMay 5, 2016
My daily routine started as opening and turning over the phones.I then restocked all the kitchen supplies as well as picked up outgoing mail and ups shipments. I logged maintenance calls as well as called them in to the maintenance crew. I also set up conference calls and logged information. Maintained store rooms by ordering and restocking and cleaning. I also kept all Xerox printers, copiers and fax machines supplied and maintained and sent the monthly usage to Xerox via fax. I helped where I was need for any function I was able to.
The worst part of the job was lack of advancement from this position.
The best part of the job was my fellow co-workers. I have made many lasting friendships after working here and have to say this was my favorite job!
Pros
Awesome co-workers
Cons
Lack off advancement opportunities
great place to learn
Data Center Technician (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNMay 27, 2016
Gonna make this sort.
Have to scan in with your badge to get into the build.
Typically 24/7 with at lest 1 person on staff at all times
1, 2, and 3rd shift
team meets weekly
as far as the work, it comes in a que on Service Manager 7, 9
in the for of an I.M. that would get looked at then if repair is needed on a server it then gets a CR/SR created then we get a Task within that CR to work with other groups, when its our turn we complete that task then hand it off to the next group.
Learned a lot about understanding and working well with others.
Management has a play it by ear feel. No structure what so ever
My co-workers are very helpful and have become good friends with them all
Hardest part about the job is figuring out if you are doing the right thing because management like to change how things are done on a day to day basis
most enjoyable part about the job is the alone time. If you like working on your own it is an easy place to get to do that...
Pros
food, pay and learning
Cons
management and accountability