Thornton's Employee Reviews

Best place I've worked so far!
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 10, 2017
I absolutely loved working at Thornton's! It was a pretty easy and fun job. The only part I didn't like was how busy we got on holidays. I enjoyed working with everyone there. I told them that if I could've taken everyone with me when I moved, I would've.
Pros
Free drinks and friendly environment
Cons
Night shift
Typical Day at Work/Work Environment
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Antioch, TNMay 24, 2017
I was honestly excited to work at Thornton's simply because I had not worked in a convenience story before. However, as time went on, I did not feel welcome by my fellow coworkers or my GM because I would get sick frequently and have to miss work. During this time I would give at least a 24-hour notice, but when I returned to work I was given the cold shoulder and not treated as one of the team. Needless to say, I tried to leave on good terms.
Productive and busy
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 4, 2017
Pay could've been better but I enjoyed my time there. Management was great. Gave you time to learn about the lottery and more about cash handling.
Terrible job. Now closed.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fulton, NYNovember 22, 2016
Long hours, low pay. No room for advancement. Hard to get any kind of raise. You feel unappreciated. Now closed so this review doesn't really matter.
Questionable Management
GSR/Guest Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Galesburg, ILNovember 20, 2016
Management has a lot of issues- blaming other staff for things they didn't do (because it wasn't their job to do management work), promising promotions for long periods of time only to skip them and give it to someone else, no communication skills, pick favorites, etc. Cutting someone's hours because they decided to hire a new person and then be overstaffed was uncalled for. After 2 years, I now get 13 hours per week.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
No promotions, favoritism, management, poor communication, overstaffing
best part about being here is the customers
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 5, 2016
at first i came into this job knowing it was temporary. but after working long enough (Less Than 4 Mns) I builded a bond with my customers that i seen on a regular basis. besides that the mangaments sucks the hours were never the same two weeks in a row one week 39.3 hours next week 28 or 33. they dont want to pay over time so the break up your hours at 40.3 to what every is left into the next week weather it a few minutes or 2 hours i've been threw both. but i got to say working over night was fun as well when you have good people working with you things flow smooth but everyone i worked with left after i did and we stay in communication. that say a lot but hey its a decent 9.25 when you have nothing and looking to build your resume with customer service
ok place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 6, 2016
no room for advancement, but good people. alot of family in this business. Dont pay very well, but will help if they can. Its not a place that dos alot of hiring.. most people stay for a while its easy to work there.
Shift Leader
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Palm Harbor, FLMarch 28, 2016
Promoted to Shift Leader. Overall simple job, learned skills that would be beneficial to transition to store manager position. New management was terrible.
Pros
Paid weekly
Cons
Poor managment training
Very productive
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYMarch 16, 2016
Over worked and under appreciated by management. excelled beyond expectations and was still mistreated. inquired about higher positions in my field of study and was rejected on the spot due to personal opinions.
Pros
great work and fast paced
Cons
management.
Plenty of room for advancement
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 10, 2015
I climbed the ladder as quickly as I wanted to. You are required to work HARD for your money! As a manager we were required to do more than you can reasonably accomplish in one day. I was never in trouble but often felt like I was drowning when short staffed.
I loved MY team, but I did not like the politics in this company. It didn't promote a team atmosphere. It was often a blame game between other stores/upper management.
The most enjoyable part of my day was interacting with customers, and teaching my team to become better at customer service.
Pros
competive pay/benefits
Cons
Demanding schedule. Long work days at times. Must be able to answer phone 24/7
Work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INFebruary 12, 2015
Typical day, to work hard. Management is another matter in itself. Co-works were good to wok with. Hard part of the job, the cooler. Enjoyable part of the job was to be able to work.
Very dificult place to work
Manager, Account (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 8, 2015
Customers were top priority
They tought me how to run a store
We had great teamwork
We all worked well together
The hardest was being open 24 hours
The customers were the best
Pros
pay was good
Cons
never closed
Hard work, fast paced,fun work environment
Customer Service Represenative (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLNovember 10, 2014
Customers line up quickly
Always on the go
Work atmosphere is great
Hard work
Alot of responsibility
Love the customers
Fun workplace
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Lakemoor, ILOctober 4, 2014
Fun and encouraging environment, though I was only there for a short time as a promotional representative.
Great atmosphere
Customer Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Madison, TNSeptember 19, 2014
I really liked being able to meet new people. Goal oriented and fun.
Pros
Great Drinks
Cons
No real breaks
Outgoing and time on your feet
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Round Lake, ILMay 6, 2014
I worked mostly nights from 2 to 10 p.m. so I would come in, count my drawer at my register, and make sure that my nightly duties were done before leaving for the night. I learned to be a better people person and place orders for food. I enjoyed my managers and my co-workers in everyway. I would say that the hardest part of my job would be the gas drive offs or having to throw away the donuts at the end of the night which could be given too a food pantry. I loved helping our customers.
Cons
the pay
A fast-paced work place, very busy convenient store
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 12, 2014
Counted cash drawer and assigned register placement. Totaled customers' purchases, including gas, money orders, and lottery sales. I learned to use a touch screen register and to work in a multi-cultured business and environment. Most co-workers were easy to work with and learn from them. I liked stocking shelves and racks in between sales. Harder duties included cleaning fountain and hot drink machines. I liked preparing my closing report & cash out at the end of the day.
Pros
Location was convient to me for such a large city. Last manager was very helpful and trusted me.
Cons
Breaks were only as time permitted
Fast-paced, Team-oriented Workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INFebruary 6, 2014
A CSR's day at Thornton's convenience stores typically revolves around the customer experience. Everything from running transactions through the POS, merchandising product on the shelves, or making sure food areas are cleaned contributes to the daily goal of being customers' favorite place to stop on the go.

Since completing the management training course with Thornton's, I've learned a great deal beyond the job being my first venture into retail/customer service. I learned, most importantly, the value of people and how critical individuals are to a functioning team. I've developed skills in troubleshooting, as Team Members at Thornton's are encouraged to think like owners and initiate problem solving.

The management team at Thornton's is knowledgeable. If ever a Team Member has a question, managers are equipped to answer the question or to locate someone who is more versed on the topic.

Team Members work closely to finish daily tasks such as cleaning, handling customers, and special jobs to accommodate business needs. Thus, it is evident that teams tend to be close-knit.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with the high turnover rate of fellow CSR's, as this affects scheduling and sometimes requires Team Members to work splits, turn-arounds, or cover extra shifts.

However, most Team Members are quite congenial and helpful. At Thornton's, the culture focuses on several major concepts, one of which is "Have Fun".
Pros
Relatively easy work, interaction with people, free shift drinks, Esop, reasonable vacation time
Cons
High turnover, sometimes messy work, difficult to have breaks, lunch, etc. due to nature of business
suck
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 8, 2013
it gave me income to provide for my family. this place dont give you any breaks unless you smoke
Pros
Cons
no breaks unless you smoke
Productive and pleasent enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  South Elgin, ILOctober 29, 2013
The management team was excellent. The customers were very wonderful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thornton's. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval