Thornton's Employee Reviews in United States

Plenty of room for advancement
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 10, 2015
I climbed the ladder as quickly as I wanted to. You are required to work HARD for your money! As a manager we were required to do more than you can reasonably accomplish in one day. I was never in trouble but often felt like I was drowning when short staffed.
I loved MY team, but I did not like the politics in this company. It didn't promote a team atmosphere. It was often a blame game between other stores/upper management.
The most enjoyable part of my day was interacting with customers, and teaching my team to become better at customer service.
Pros
competive pay/benefits
Cons
Demanding schedule. Long work days at times. Must be able to answer phone 24/7
Very productive
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYMarch 16, 2016
Over worked and under appreciated by management. excelled beyond expectations and was still mistreated. inquired about higher positions in my field of study and was rejected on the spot due to personal opinions.
Pros
great work and fast paced
Cons
management.
Shift Leader
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Palm Harbor, FLMarch 28, 2016
Promoted to Shift Leader. Overall simple job, learned skills that would be beneficial to transition to store manager position. New management was terrible.
Pros
Paid weekly
Cons
Poor managment training
Work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INFebruary 12, 2015
Typical day, to work hard. Management is another matter in itself. Co-works were good to wok with. Hard part of the job, the cooler. Enjoyable part of the job was to be able to work.
A fast-paced work place, very busy convenient store
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 12, 2014
Counted cash drawer and assigned register placement. Totaled customers' purchases, including gas, money orders, and lottery sales. I learned to use a touch screen register and to work in a multi-cultured business and environment. Most co-workers were easy to work with and learn from them. I liked stocking shelves and racks in between sales. Harder duties included cleaning fountain and hot drink machines. I liked preparing my closing report & cash out at the end of the day.
Pros
location was convient to me for such a large city. last manager was very helpful and trusted me.
Cons
breaks were only as time permitted
Outgoing and time on your feet
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Round Lake, ILMay 6, 2014
I worked mostly nights from 2 to 10 p.m. so I would come in, count my drawer at my register, and make sure that my nightly duties were done before leaving for the night. I learned to be a better people person and place orders for food. I enjoyed my managers and my co-workers in everyway. I would say that the hardest part of my job would be the gas drive offs or having to throw away the donuts at the end of the night which could be given too a food pantry. I loved helping our customers.
Cons
the pay
Very dificult place to work
Manager, Account (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 8, 2015
Customers were top priority
They tought me how to run a store
We had great teamwork
We all worked well together
The hardest was being open 24 hours
The customers were the best
Pros
pay was good
Cons
never closed
It is a fun place and productive place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Savoy, ILAugust 29, 2013
A typical day is waiting on customers, and cleaning the store. Getting the store ready for the next day. Having the managers paperwork ready for them. I learned how to close different types of machines. My co-workers are great to work with. The hardest part of the job is making sure everything is done. The most enjoyable part of the job, is making customers smile.
Pros
having stocks in the company
Cons
working third shift.
Fun workplace
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Lakemoor, ILOctober 4, 2014
Fun and encouraging environment, though I was only there for a short time as a promotional representative.
Fast-paced, Team-oriented Workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INFebruary 6, 2014
A CSR's day at Thornton's convenience stores typically revolves around the customer experience. Everything from running transactions through the POS, merchandising product on the shelves, or making sure food areas are cleaned contributes to the daily goal of being customers' favorite place to stop on the go.

Since completing the management training course with Thornton's, I've learned a great deal beyond the job being my first venture into retail/customer service. I learned, most importantly, the value of people and how critical individuals are to a functioning team. I've developed skills in troubleshooting, as Team Members at Thornton's are encouraged to think like owners and initiate problem solving.

The management team at Thornton's is knowledgeable. If ever a Team Member has a question, managers are equipped to answer the question or to locate someone who is more versed on the topic.

Team Members work closely to finish daily tasks such as cleaning, handling customers, and special jobs to accommodate business needs. Thus, it is evident that teams tend to be close-knit.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with the high turnover rate of fellow CSR's, as this affects scheduling and sometimes requires Team Members to work splits, turn-arounds, or cover extra shifts.

However, most Team Members are quite congenial and helpful. At Thornton's, the culture focuses on several major concepts, one of which is "Have Fun".
Pros
relatively easy work, interaction with people, free shift drinks, esop, reasonable vacation time
Cons
high turnover, sometimes messy work, difficult to have breaks, lunch, etc. due to nature of business
Productive and pleasent enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  South Elgin, ILOctober 29, 2013
The management team was excellent. The customers were very wonderful
fun work place
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 3, 2013
i stock cups, food, toilet paper, paper towels, and other things. I help out on the cash register. I tend to the customers needs while I'm on the floor. I love the work enviroment because we cut-up, joke around , and have a great time while getting are daily tasks done and some other things.
Pros
free drinks and food
Cons
nothing
Hard work, fast paced,fun work environment
Customer Service Represenative (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLNovember 10, 2014
Customers line up quickly
Always on the go
Work atmosphere is great
Hard work
Alot of responsibility
Love the customers
An some-what fun place to work
Coustumer Service Rep. (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 18, 2012
A typical day of work woukd be dealing with costumers and help my teammates. The hardest part of this job is sometime the public is not so nice! The most enjoyable thing about this job is the people you work with.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
no breaks
Great atmosphere
Customer Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Madison, TNSeptember 19, 2014
I really liked being able to meet new people. Goal oriented and fun.
Pros
great drinks
Cons
no real breaks
loved working with my customers
Manager and Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 13, 2013
Enjoyed the customers and learning all the responsibility. One of my best jobs.
Pros
working with customers
Cons
cut throat business with thornton's with some people
suck
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 8, 2013
it gave me income to provide for my family. this place dont give you any breaks unless you smoke
Cons
no breaks unless you smoke
Great place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, KYMarch 17, 2013
I loved this job as well, co-workers are outstanding.. Customers get a bit upset at time.
Pros
customer are great..
Cons
nothing bad