Thornton's

Thornton's Employer Reviews

A fast-paced work place, very busy convenient store
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: location was convient to me for such a large city. last manager was very helpful and trusted me.
Cons: breaks were only as time permitted
Counted cash drawer and assigned register placement. Totaled customers' purchases, including gas, money orders, and lottery sales. I learned to use a touch screen register and to work in a multi-cultured business and environment. Most co-workers were easy to work with and learn from them. I liked stocking shelves and racks in between sales. Harder duties – more... included cleaning fountain and hot drink machines. I liked preparing my closing report & cash out at the end of the day. – less
Fast-paced, Team-oriented Workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Evansville, INFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: relatively easy work, interaction with people, free shift drinks, esop, reasonable vacation time
Cons: high turnover, sometimes messy work, difficult to have breaks, lunch, etc. due to nature of business
A CSR's day at Thornton's convenience stores typically revolves around the customer experience. Everything from running transactions through the POS, merchandising product on the shelves, or making sure food areas are cleaned contributes to the daily goal of being customers' favorite place to stop on the go.

Since completing the management training – more... course with Thornton's, I've learned a great deal beyond the job being my first venture into retail/customer service. I learned, most importantly, the value of people and how critical individuals are to a functioning team. I've developed skills in troubleshooting, as Team Members at Thornton's are encouraged to think like owners and initiate problem solving.

The management team at Thornton's is knowledgeable. If ever a Team Member has a question, managers are equipped to answer the question or to locate someone who is more versed on the topic.

Team Members work closely to finish daily tasks such as cleaning, handling customers, and special jobs to accommodate business needs. Thus, it is evident that teams tend to be close-knit.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with the high turnover rate of fellow CSR's, as this affects scheduling and sometimes requires Team Members to work splits, turn-arounds, or cover extra shifts.

However, most Team Members are quite congenial and helpful. At Thornton's, the culture focuses on several major concepts, one of which is "Have Fun". – less
suck
Lead Cashier (Former Employee), Louisville, KYDecember 8, 2013
Cons: no breaks unless you smoke
it gave me income to provide for my family. this place dont give you any breaks unless you smoke
Productive and pleasent enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), South Elgin, ILOctober 29, 2013
The management team was excellent. The customers were very wonderful
It is a fun place and productive place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Savoy, ILAugust 29, 2013
Pros: having stocks in the company
Cons: working third shift.
A typical day is waiting on customers, and cleaning the store. Getting the store ready for the next day. Having the managers paperwork ready for them. I learned how to close different types of machines. My co-workers are great to work with. The hardest part of the job is making sure everything is done. The most enjoyable part of the job, is making customers – more... smile. – less
fun work place
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Louisville, KYJuly 3, 2013
Pros: free drinks and food
Cons: nothing
i stock cups, food, toilet paper, paper towels, and other things. I help out on the cash register. I tend to the customers needs while I'm on the floor. I love the work enviroment because we cut-up, joke around , and have a great time while getting are daily tasks done and some other things.
Great place
Cashier (Former Employee), Shelbyville, KYMarch 17, 2013
Pros: customer are great..
Cons: nothing bad
I loved this job as well, co-workers are outstanding.. Customers get a bit upset at time.
loved working with my customers
Manager and Asst. Manager (Former Employee), Louisville, KYMarch 13, 2013
Pros: working with customers
Cons: cut throat business with thornton's with some people
Enjoyed the customers and learning all the responsibility. One of my best jobs.
An some-what fun place to work
Coustumer Service Rep. (Former Employee), Louisville, KYJuly 18, 2012
Pros: free drinks
Cons: no breaks
A typical day of work woukd be dealing with costumers and help my teammates. The hardest part of this job is sometime the public is not so nice! The most enjoyable thing about this job is the people you work with.
productive and enjoyable
Line Assistant (Former Employee), DerbyJuly 30, 2014
I would work here again as it was enjoyable and we worked as a team.
Productive and sometimes fun
Line worker (Former Employee), ENGFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: everyone expecting you to be really quick and know what to do on first day
I learnt how to pack chocolates and clean down the machinery quickly and safely for change over.
My co-workers were okay
The management most of the time were no where to be seen and didn't do their checks properly.
Hardest part was trying to fit the chocolates into the plastic trays whilst the belt was moving and them flip them over without dropping – more... any or getting backed up.
Most enjoyable was checking the chocolates for any damaged ones and stacking them onto the pallets. – less
Production and fun workplace
Production Operative (Former Employee), Alfreton, ENGJanuary 3, 2014
I worked on production the role was demanding as timescales were very tight. The packaging of products had to be done to a very high standard for customers . I enjoyed the fast paced aspect of the role and working closely with colleagues.
Alright
Packer (Current Employee), Somercotes, ENGDecember 23, 2013
Thorntons is a alright place to work at if you are looking for a fill in job and willing to work hard.
fun workplace.
Customer service, Advertisement of stock (Former Employee), Victoria, ENGDecember 2, 2013
Pros: able to sample new products
Cons: very very busy during seasonal times whilst working in a small shop
A typical day at work would include serving customers, replacing stock and some seasonal work.During my time at Thornton's i had learned some valuable skills that have helped me work within all types of jobs.The management were understanding and very helpful towards my first few days within the company. I was the youngest member of staff within the – more... work place, the other members of staff were friendly and helped me develop my skills within the job. The hardest part of the job for me was learning many things for the job at a young age as this was my first job. The most enjoyable part of the job was at seasonal times when we would dress up to match the seasons and have fun as well as being friendly towards customers whilst trying to boost sales aswell. – less
somewhat boring when shop was not busy
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Welwyn Garden City, ENGNovember 28, 2013
Pros: excellent experience in public relation
Cons: there were too much slack moment.
Good company to work for but. The staff are polite and are well liked by the customers.
Enjoyable working enviroment, pleasent.
Christmas Temp (Former Employee), HastingsNovember 7, 2013
Pros: enjoyable to work there
Cons: wasn't enough hours, no security.
my typical day at work involved serving customers, using the tilling system, stock replenishment, and customer greeting.
Rewarding, exciting, fresh
Senior Sales Assistant (Current Employee), LancasterJuly 3, 2013
Pros: ability to work your way up
Cons: working unpaid
A typical day at work consists of being present at least 10 minutes before your shift starts, looking respectable and being an actress (i.e. put whatever else is bothering you behind and concentrate on the customers experience). From start to finish, your priority is to ensure all customers are satisfied with their visit to store and that they receive – more... excellent customer service. Alongside this, the staff are also accountable for cleaning, stacking shelves, gift-wrapping and icing chocolate. During my time here I have been promoted from a seasonal temp to a senior sales assistant therefore not only have I learned to be professional and learned how to be a team member but I have also been responsible of achieving targets, making managerial decisions and dealing with any issues which may occur. The hardest part of the job is to run the shop alone, having that greater deal of responsibility Is tough. The most enjoyable part is helping others, is engaging with members of the public and ultimately to see that as a team we have made progress on a daily basis, weekly basis and most importantly over the year. – less
Brilliant
Order Office Clerk (Former Employee), londonJune 12, 2013
working in the office, meeting great people, enjoyed every part of it good hours to work good pay overall great place :)
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), GranthamApril 30, 2013
Even though I was only their for a short period of time I really felt part of the work family, therefore I found it enjoyable and a great place to work.
fun and positive
supervisor (Current Employee), invernessMarch 16, 2013
Pros: eat lots chocolate and good traning program
Cons: low contracts
During my time at my current employment i learned how to run a business day to day where everyday is different and i work with a small team. The most enjoyable part is hitting targets and kepping customers happy.