THORNTONS

THORNTONS Employee Reviews

Great place to work for.
Production assistant Manager (Former Employee), Jeffersonville, INMay 7, 2015
Pros: lots of wonderful employees go #22!
Cons: like most places.. has its share of drama
management at #47 was in inconsistent but after I transferred to #22 was a great experience! Just depends on what mgr you get. Over all I loved my job and my guest!!
decent place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Former Employee), Springboro, OHJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: interaction with customers
Cons: poor pay
A typical day at work would include waiting on customers, cleaning and maintaining the entire store, including the outside. Also, stocking and making sure all food is kept in timely manner using log books. Cash Drawers, safe verifiications, and shift reports to be completed at end of shift.
Worst Gas Company I have ever worked for
CSR (Current Employee), ILSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: free drink
Cons: no breaks at al, no communication w management to cashiers
Terrible. Been here a week and I am already applying at other places. They absolutely do not give any breaks or lunches. When I asked what the break policu was, my SM laughed and said 'we dont get breaks around here'. Sorry but isnt that the law? An 8hr shift gets a 30 min lunch or two 15s
Easy
Cashier (Former Employee), Louisville kySeptember 23, 2014
Pros: free drinks
Cons: no breaks
They have no health care. It is a very easy job. I liked working 3rd shift.
poor upper mgt. misinformation and building up false career objectives
csr (Former Employee), Brandon flSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: uh can't think of any
Cons: poor upper mgt...stressful conditions
This is by far the worse job ever....for the amount of work vs pay it doesn't equal. Really talk up the company when your interviewed, advancement opportunities, fun environment, safe culture... Etc. Company cares about bottom line. Most stores run skeleton crews especially 3rd shift where most nights one associate. Safe environment? Yea right...promotions are nonexistent unless your a Good butt kisser and don't question or point out things. Most employees are unhappy and only there until a better opportunity arises...wa wa"s kicks thorntons butt when it comes to overall performance...could go on but to much to tell
Good Team - Bad Management
MANAGER (Former Employee), EnglandSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: eatting the chocolate samples
Cons: pay, compassion, progression
I left with over £3,000 owed in unpaid wages, they will expect you to work over 50 hours a week but will only pay you for a maximum of 39 hours with empty promises of lieu time and getting back hours - that never happen. Several staff were never paid holiday pay that they were owed either.

They will not allow time off for personal emergencies or family crises.

They will only offer minimum contracts ie 6 hours but expect you to be available at short notice or to have no other committments. Senior Management turn a blind eye to bullying of staff. They are only interested in profit and their share holders.
not good pay and no advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Blue Island, ILAugust 28, 2014
Pros: pays bills
Cons: sucks and not really good pay
working at thortons is very bad it would be better If it paid better and better advancement.
One of the worst companies to work for in the U.S
General Manager (Former Employee), Clarksville, INJune 20, 2014
Corporate only care about themselves and the revenue's. Manager's along with Asst. Manager have no life, no weekends, no night peaceful sleep and help is given whatsoever. They treat their Manager's like dead meat.
Productive and busy place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee), Creve Coeur, ILApril 3, 2014
Stocking and cleaning was most of the shift, but your number one task is taking care of your customers.
fun safe workplace
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee), Louisville, KYOctober 28, 2013
Pros: freedom to study
Cons: only shift worker
Controlling Cash, inventory and maintaining facility.
management was supportive and helpful
co-workers were friendly and helpful
the hardest part was working 3rd
the most enjoyable was meeting friendly customers
Detail oriented, hard working
Cashier (Current Employee), Round Lake BeachSeptember 23, 2013
Customer service, multi tasking, high energy volume. My manager and asst. mgr. are very attentive. I get along with everyone. I have a lot of patience and like helping others. Working with people.
A good job to experience life on the other side of retail.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Chicago, IlJuly 29, 2013
Pros: free soda, and freedom to work at your pace for non primary duties
Cons: management on all levels
A typical day consisted of meeting your boundaries with patience while working with all types of people. However, for every negative interaction with a customer there were three positive interactions with customers. The job was basic gas station retail, you see hundreds of people a shift, you constantly clean, you ring up properly and follow the protocols and procedures if anything were to go wrong.
Work related, the things I learned were trivial and common ( multi-tasking, learning what cleaning solutions you can use for what etc). Although, the job was challenging in certain aspects and extremely – more... easy in others, this may not be the job for everyone. You must be able to work with people, whether it's an ornery regular or a propitious new customer. However, I learned to appreciate the people who go out of their way to be nice, I had my faith in people diminish an awful lot through the duration of this job, however I had it restored right back when someone would come up with a lost wallet or credit card, or who would help some average Joe with money when they were short on it.

Management lacked in many areas in my personal opinion, there was very little to no communication between the management teams and the associates. Along side of that, it was not uncommon for management( in all different levels) to say and confirm something and do something completely different when it came to employees and more minor policies. Also, training between the associates was mediocre at the very best, although it's a massive company with numerous stores along the midwest and south that have the same policies; all the training was different, and lacked in many crucial ways. Some employees would receive more preferential attention with their training compared to others for the same job. Due to preferential differences between managers and employees, the average employee would not be able to climb the corporate ladder.
This is nothing personal towards this company, although the company as a whole seems to have good intentions towards their employees; the experience I was given didn't show it. The store I worked at was a very small store near the chicagoland area and scheduling could be a nightmare, and certain employees were constantly being 'baited' to do management duties while not getting compensated properly for the work load. I felt lucky even to have an outside company plow our parking lot, the employees did an awful lot of grunt work ( with very little to no acknowledgement/appreciation) and not get properly compensated for it.
This is not meant to sound like a vengeful rant of a former employee but an actual opinion of someone who worked the grind for a couple of years and has had first hand experience with all of this.
I mentioned that for every bad there were good; the positive light for the management teams, you had the very rare amazing store manager who would go above and beyond for their employees ( whether with scheduling, accommodating personal needs, staying late to help you out, stood up for their employees etc.). I was extremely fortunate to work with a store manager like the one described in the previous statement.

At the time the co-workers made it bearable, and I was lucky that for almost the entire duration of my employment I had decent co workers to work with.
The hardest part of the job, would have to be the customer service; since its a gas station and the economy was down while I worked there, a lot of people would try to scam you, and if you didn't buy their scam they'd get irate. Following state laws tend to anger people, and I've had my fair share of insults and threats hurled at me for not selling tobacco to people who didn't have proper identification. But, that comes with the territory of working with the general public.
The most enjoyable aspect of the job would be the semi-freedom of making your own schedule for each shift; as long as the work got done and the customers were helped in a timely and professional manner, then we could do our work when we wanted. Very rarely were there ever a time frame that something needed to be done
I wish I had something to put for their healthcare and insurance, but I never signed up with them due to having my own private insurance.
Compensation; it wasn't difficult to get raises if you had a normal general manager and you knew how to do your job well. Plus they had mini bonuses each month for doing well in the secret shopper reports. However, all the "competition' they had; if you weren't a top store who had the need of having 2-3 cashiers on duty each shift; it was pointless to waste your time trying to participate. I tried multiple times, using my personal resources and time off the clock to help with competition boards/ decor etc and not a single thanks or recognition.
I would not work for this company ever again, no matter how strapped for cash I might get. – less
Awesom job and managers pushed us for compititions!
Cashier (Former Employee), Plainfield, INMay 22, 2013
Pros: steady schedual every week.
Cons: did not have a digital gas sign, so weather rain shine or snow i was out there changing gas prices!
I loved working here! We had suggestive selling every day. We won all sorts of items. I learned working here if you don't try you will never know. I never knew that I could sale things as much as I did! My manager was absolutely understanding caring nice funny yet very professional. Our gas prices were usually the lowest in town so that meant we were always busy and never had very much down time (but kept me busy so the day went by very fast). I really loved working with my co-workers. It was a very comforting gas station. Everyone who worked there made our customers feel welcomed. We had conversations with our customers, offered advice as they offered advice to us. What a wonderful company I had the pleasure in working.
Company
General Manager (Former Employee), Columbus, OHMarch 19, 2013
Pros: great company overall
Cons: medical not great
Great company to work for as they are very family oriented. I enjoyed my time with the company and would recommend them to anyone who is looking for a career!
Not a good place to work...poorly managed!!!
CSR/Cashier (Current Employee), Edgewood, KYJanuary 2, 2013
Pros: free fountain drinks for employees
Cons: lil or no breaks or lunches
I am sure not all Thornton's Stores are bad ! But the one in Edgewood store # 553 has very little accountability for poor performance by employees!!! Poor scheduling!!! Management lets another CSR cashier make out the schedule and not enough people scheduled at the proper times and second/third shift employees suffers a lot because of this and all the regular customers suffer as well waiting in long lines because only one or two people are scheduled to work trying to complete shift tasks from 1st shift! 1st shift has way to many scheduled on a daily basis...any where from 5 to 6 people and leaving a lot of things not done which carry over for second shift!!! There is no place to take a break or to eat your lunch and they don't let you sit down! Smokers get to go outside every 2hrs for a smoke break!
Blah
CSR (Former Employee), Cary, ILSeptember 30, 2012
Cons: yep
Politics get involved as you work there more and more...making the work experience less about you your coworkers or the community you work for and absolutely all about the bottom line of corporate greed. Avoid jobs like these even in your most desperate hours.
Great managers
Cashier (Former Employee), Terre Haute, INSeptember 7, 2012
I real like this job.It was a very nice place to work,sweet managers.
Calm workplace while also being a fast-paced friendly environment
Customer Service, Sandwich Artist (Current Employee), Groveport, OHJuly 21, 2012
A typical day at work would include making one sub after another. I enjoy seeing regular customers everyday and talking with other employees. The hardest part of the job is trying to make things easier and quicker when lunch and dinner rush arrives.
productive
customer service representative (Former Employee), Louisville, KYMay 29, 2012
Pros: nice company
Cons: not good pay
Was a nice job experience. Was challenging but a nice place to work. Enjoyed customers and co-workers.

THORNTONS Salaries