THORNTONS

THORNTONS Employer Reviews

not good pay and no advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Blue Island, ILAugust 28, 2014
Pros: pays bills
Cons: sucks and not really good pay
working at thortons is very bad it would be better If it paid better and better advancement.
One of the worst companies to work for in the U.S
General Manager (Former Employee), Clarksville, INJune 20, 2014
Corporate only care about themselves and the revenue's. Manager's along with Asst. Manager have no life, no weekends, no night peaceful sleep and help is given whatsoever. They treat their Manager's like dead meat.
Productive and busy place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee), Creve Coeur, ILApril 3, 2014
Stocking and cleaning was most of the shift, but your number one task is taking care of your customers.
fun safe workplace
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee), Louisville, KYOctober 28, 2013
Pros: freedom to study
Cons: only shift worker
Controlling Cash, inventory and maintaining facility.
management was supportive and helpful
co-workers were friendly and helpful
the hardest part was working 3rd
the most enjoyable was meeting friendly customers
Detail oriented, hard working
Cashier (Current Employee), Round Lake BeachSeptember 23, 2013
Customer service, multi tasking, high energy volume. My manager and asst. mgr. are very attentive. I get along with everyone. I have a lot of patience and like helping others. Working with people.
A good job to experience life on the other side of retail.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Chicago, IlJuly 29, 2013
Pros: free soda, and freedom to work at your pace for non primary duties
Cons: management on all levels
A typical day consisted of meeting your boundaries with patience while working with all types of people. However, for every negative interaction with a customer there were three positive interactions with customers. The job was basic gas station retail, you see hundreds of people a shift, you constantly clean, you ring up properly and follow the protocols – more... and procedures if anything were to go wrong.
Work related, the things I learned were trivial and common ( multi-tasking, learning what cleaning solutions you can use for what etc). Although, the job was challenging in certain aspects and extremely easy in others, this may not be the job for everyone. You must be able to work with people, whether it's an ornery regular or a propitious new customer. However, I learned to appreciate the people who go out of their way to be nice, I had my faith in people diminish an awful lot through the duration of this job, however I had it restored right back when someone would come up with a lost wallet or credit card, or who would help some average Joe with money when they were short on it.

Management lacked in many areas in my personal opinion, there was very little to no communication between the management teams and the associates. Along side of that, it was not uncommon for management( in all different levels) to say and confirm something and do something completely different when it came to employees and more minor policies. Also, training between the associates was mediocre at the very best, although it's a massive company with numerous stores along the midwest and south that have the same policies; all the training was different, and lacked in many crucial ways. Some employees would receive more preferential attention with their training compared to others for the same job. Due to preferential differences between managers and employees, the average employee would not be able to climb the corporate ladder.
This is nothing personal towards this company, although the company as a whole seems to have good intentions towards their employees; the experience I was given didn't show it. The store I worked at was a very small store near the chicagoland area and scheduling could be a nightmare, and certain employees were constantly being 'baited' to do management duties while not getting compensated properly for the work load. I felt lucky even to have an outside company plow our parking lot, the employees did an awful lot of grunt work ( with very little to no acknowledgement/appreciation) and not get properly compensated for it.
This is not meant to sound like a vengeful rant of a former employee but an actual opinion of someone who worked the grind for a couple of years and has had first hand experience with all of this.
I mentioned that for every bad there were good; the positive light for the management teams, you had the very rare amazing store manager who would go above and beyond for their employees ( whether with scheduling, accommodating personal needs, staying late to help you out, stood up for their employees etc.). I was extremely fortunate to work with a store manager like the one described in the previous statement.

At the time the co-workers made it bearable, and I was lucky that for almost the entire duration of my employment I had decent co workers to work with.
The hardest part of the job, would have to be the customer service; since its a gas station and the economy was down while I worked there, a lot of people would try to scam you, and if you didn't buy their scam they'd get irate. Following state laws tend to anger people, and I've had my fair share of insults and threats hurled at me for not selling tobacco to people who didn't have proper identification. But, that comes with the territory of working with the general public.
The most enjoyable aspect of the job would be the semi-freedom of making your own schedule for each shift; as long as the work got done and the customers were helped in a timely and professional manner, then we could do our work when we wanted. Very rarely were there ever a time frame that something needed to be done
I wish I had something to put for their healthcare and insurance, but I never signed up with them due to having my own private insurance.
Compensation; it wasn't difficult to get raises if you had a normal general manager and you knew how to do your job well. Plus they had mini bonuses each month for doing well in the secret shopper reports. However, all the "competition' they had; if you weren't a top store who had the need of having 2-3 cashiers on duty each shift; it was pointless to waste your time trying to participate. I tried multiple times, using my personal resources and time off the clock to help with competition boards/ decor etc and not a single thanks or recognition.
I would not work for this company ever again, no matter how strapped for cash I might get. – less
Awesom job and managers pushed us for compititions!
Cashier (Former Employee), Plainfield, INMay 22, 2013
Pros: steady schedual every week.
Cons: did not have a digital gas sign, so weather rain shine or snow i was out there changing gas prices!
I loved working here! We had suggestive selling every day. We won all sorts of items. I learned working here if you don't try you will never know. I never knew that I could sale things as much as I did! My manager was absolutely understanding caring nice funny yet very professional. Our gas prices were usually the lowest in town so that meant we were – more... always busy and never had very much down time (but kept me busy so the day went by very fast). I really loved working with my co-workers. It was a very comforting gas station. Everyone who worked there made our customers feel welcomed. We had conversations with our customers, offered advice as they offered advice to us. What a wonderful company I had the pleasure in working. – less
Company
General Manager (Former Employee), Columbus, OHMarch 19, 2013
Pros: great company overall
Cons: medical not great
Great company to work for as they are very family oriented. I enjoyed my time with the company and would recommend them to anyone who is looking for a career!
Not a good place to work...poorly managed!!!
CSR/Cashier (Current Employee), Edgewood, KYJanuary 2, 2013
Pros: free fountain drinks for employees
Cons: lil or no breaks or lunches
I am sure not all Thornton's Stores are bad ! But the one in Edgewood store # 553 has very little accountability for poor performance by employees!!! Poor scheduling!!! Management lets another CSR cashier make out the schedule and not enough people scheduled at the proper times and second/third shift employees suffers a lot because of this and all the – more... regular customers suffer as well waiting in long lines because only one or two people are scheduled to work trying to complete shift tasks from 1st shift! 1st shift has way to many scheduled on a daily basis...any where from 5 to 6 people and leaving a lot of things not done which carry over for second shift!!! There is no place to take a break or to eat your lunch and they don't let you sit down! Smokers get to go outside every 2hrs for a smoke break! – less
Blah
CSR (Former Employee), Cary, ILSeptember 30, 2012
Cons: yep
Politics get involved as you work there more and more...making the work experience less about you your coworkers or the community you work for and absolutely all about the bottom line of corporate greed. Avoid jobs like these even in your most desperate hours.
Great managers
Cashier (Former Employee), Terre Haute, INSeptember 7, 2012
I real like this job.It was a very nice place to work,sweet managers.
Calm workplace while also being a fast-paced friendly environment
Customer Service, Sandwich Artist (Current Employee), Groveport, OHJuly 21, 2012
A typical day at work would include making one sub after another. I enjoy seeing regular customers everyday and talking with other employees. The hardest part of the job is trying to make things easier and quicker when lunch and dinner rush arrives.
productive
customer service representative (Former Employee), Louisville, KYMay 29, 2012
Pros: nice company
Cons: not good pay
Was a nice job experience. Was challenging but a nice place to work. Enjoyed customers and co-workers.
fun and friendly work place
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee), Grimsby, ENGSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: 25% off products
Loved working here, the manager is lovely, and theres lots of opportunity to learn and get to know your customers.
Productive and fun work place
Store assistant (Former Employee), Weston-Super-MareSeptember 10, 2014
Lovely company to work for and thoroughly enjoyed my time working at a Thorntons store.
Packing Operative (Former Employee), DerbyshireSeptember 3, 2014
• Packing chocolate on a busy production line
• Ensuring targets were met
• Following food hygiene requirements as requested
Fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), BelfastAugust 8, 2014
Pros: staff
Cons: hours
Fun part-time job, but nowhere to work your way up as its a small company and not a lot of jobs.
speed
Customer Assistant (Former Employee), ENGAugust 6, 2014
Pros: cake
Cons: not enough room
there was always something to do, it was a great team everyone got a long well, i learned how to make all drinks on the menu hot & cold, the hardest part of the job was dinner rush
poor management, very repetitive. RSIs common
Line Worker (Former Employee), alfretonJuly 28, 2014
Pros: holiday never turned down
Cons: poor conditions, poor hour, poor wage
Very repetitive jobs.
Staff very hypocritical.
Unsociable hours.
Management look down other staff.
Brilliant place to work
Manager (Former Employee), Nottingham, ENGJune 27, 2014
Pros: working with fantastic people for a reputable company.
Cons: unfortunately i was made redundant due to my shop closing down
Working at Thorntons was the best place I've ever worked, I managed 5 shops in 7 years and loved every one of them, the team in each store was brilliant and we had the best RM in the company. It's hard work and you have to put a lot in, but if you do, you get so much back.

1 2 3