Thresholds Employee Reviews

Excellent organization that provides a tremendous service to individuals in mental health recovery.
Team Leader, Thresholds (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2016
A typical day is spent helping individuals as well as groups get through each day of their lives. I learned about mental illness and the stigma that goes with it. I learned how the help members cope with their situations and help them to become self sufficient.
Productive and fun workplace with ping pong table
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 19, 2016
Thresholds is a great company to work for if a person is just getting out of college and needs work right away that is not too demanding or high pressured. The only down side is that it is a nonprofit organization, and the pay can be a little low.
Pros
Free lunches, outings, creativity
Cons
high stress, low pay
Was a great place to work
Grants Accountant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 27, 2016
Thresholds was a good place to work. They have an amazing mission. New upper management entered and wanted to have their own team. Management was not supportive, didn't train, spoke to people in a condescending manner.
Community Support Specialist
Community Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILAugust 12, 2016
Mental health support for members. Working with helping members on daily living activities, applying for work, benefits, managing meds, counseling and anything else they need help with.
Great and supportive staff, but overworked/underpaid
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 26, 2016
The staff is laid-back and supportive. Mostly everybody is nice.If you have a problem, they are willing to help.

The burnout is high, the pay is low and some of the clients are very severe. If you're a counselor, you may be doing more case management.
Pros
Good insurance, understanding bosses, support
Cons
Low pay, overworked, feeling stressed, paperwork demands
mental health
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 21, 2016
Overall agency culture is accepting and aligns with my ideals.
State budget cuts and lack of cost of living wage increase are reasons for me searching elsewhere for employment.
the work place was great
Teachers Aide (Former Employee) –  IllinoisAugust 24, 2016
It was a great place of employment very warming. I enjoy the training that was offered. I learned so much I really enjoyed it.
Ok
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 8, 2016
Thresholds is a good place to work.I enjoy working for them. It is a good NPO and has good benefits. My co-workers are good at what they do.
N/a
Behavioral Management Team Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 27, 2015
I supervised Behavioral Management Team for therapeutic crisis milieu management. I trained all new and existing employees on direct verbal and physical crisis intervention procedures. I provided crisis management by educating clients using community support resources
Pros
N/A
Cons
Compensation and lack of management support
fun and loveable job
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 27, 2015
Caregiving agencies today evaluate a potential employee’s ability to serve as a caregiver and provide ongoing training for all employees. For instance, Senior Helpers has initiated a specialized training program for Alzheimer’s and dementia care in conjunction with an expert in dementia, as well as training courses in Parkinson’s and diabetes management, two other ailments common in the older population.
Pros
When trusted and loving family members provide care, the pros are significant. Most important, worries about your child's or elderly parent's safety are greatly lessened
Cons
On the negative side, the burdens of caregiving can lead to resentment, burnout, and friction among family members, especially when the primary caregiver feels that others don't help enough.
If need experience and no other place is hiring then this is the place to go
Community/Peer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 28, 2015
I'm grateful for this position because it allowed me entry into the field. However it's at a high price. The environment is very toxic due to people not being paid well and requiring unachievable standards which creates a work/life that is out of balance!!
Pros
You get experience
Cons
They don't pay well and they ask a lot from the employees. No real work life balance at this place
Rewarding to place to work
Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 11, 2016
I enjoy working with the members at Thresholds. The biggest disadvantage is the pay. However, working with the members takes a special type of person.
productive and fun place to work
Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 25, 2016
a great working enviroment, great collegues and supervisors. I would recommend for anyone looking for a job. An easy place to learn and communicate with your superiors and collegues. Its more like a family than a job because of the easy communition.
Productive, hands-on, challenging workplace
Community support specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ilOctober 5, 2015
Productive, hands-on challenging workplace with supportive management. Everyday was very engaging. The environment was very relaxed. I was always able to complete my work without stress.
Pros
supportive management, relaxed enviroment
Cons
challenging at times
Office Manager
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Blue Island, ILOctober 24, 2015
Switchboards, Greeter, Tour Guide
Group Leader
Communications Specialist
Great Place to Work
Excellent Benefits
Great Coworkers
Pros
Free Lunches, Parties
Exciting Fun
Volunteer Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 2, 2016
• General office administration (filing, answering phones, etc.)
• Interaction with residents/members (work orders)
Excellent organization with plenty of job opportunities
Community Support Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2014
Typical work day consists of team meetings, scheduled visits with members in the community which can range from home visits, to doctors appointments, to advocating for members benefits needs to social service and external benefits agency collateral. Hefty amount of paperwork (progress notes, care plan updates, scheduling doctors and follow up appointments, collaborating with external health, benefits, and other community collateral) and no overtime pay even though working more than 40 hour work weeks. Management is excellent in trying to work with staff to help develop clinical and professional skills and is actively involved in encouraging and supporting staff that are experiencing challenges with adjustments to work environment. Most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know and work with amazing members that expose staff to various mental health diagnoses, life experiences, and cherished moments that promote and encourage staff growth both professionally and personally.
Pros
make your own schedule for the day, support from team/co-workers, and great benefits
Cons
hefty amount of paperwork, paid for 40 hour work week but end up working more than 40 hour weeks, little to no pay raises
productive and cool job
CLINICAL SUPPORT SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 14, 2016
you come to work and get the job done with clients. You can chills while reading a book or play games with clients. You can come up with an idea of games with clients. it's very relax place and study or do homework.
A good place to start if you're interested in Mental Health
Residential Staff (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2014
I worked as a residential staff for Thresholds for 3 years. I transferred sites once when I became overwhelmed by my schedule (14 hour weekend days, but hey, 3 days off a week...) and I had conflicts with my supervisor for not allowing me to use sick or vacation time. After a year and a half of that I transferred to a different residential and a much, much better team. Sometimes it takes some moving around to find them, but most supervisors here are willing to work with you and grant you much needed time off. The work can be stressful, as you need to make monthly billing/note quotas so Threaholds can make more money from the state, which in turn helps the clients. I worked in the Young Adult Program and would meet with the teens daily to talk about their progress and goals. Not every client will like you, but difficult clients present the most training opportunities. After 3 years and no raise or promotion I decided to leave Thresholds. There is very high turnover with staff at the residences.
Pros
giving back to community, seeing clients progress and grow
Cons
stressful work and some supervisors give you a hard time about using benefits
New management not working with old staff it all there ideal when old staff I deals is working .
Residential House Manager (Former Employee) –  4101 n. Ravenswood, Chicago, IllinoisApril 18, 2015
New Management don't get to know their Staff within two weeks of coming in they terminated staff. They came in and change everything even thing that was working and they client begin to act out. The company could something suspend or change people jobs and not be so quick to fire people the company is very large and is always in need of staff. minor offense doesn't constitute termination.
Pros
Staff Share the work
Cons
Management don't make good decision or listen to staff