Thrifty Nickel Employee Reviews

Fun environment, helpful staff and management. Learned alot.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Knoxville, FLMay 28, 2015
Pros: Friendly staff and management.
Cons: No overtime allowed, cramped office.
As an inside sales rep for this advertising company, I tried to reach as much of a customer base as possible by calling previous clients who had advertised in our paper before and made cold calls to potentially new clients.
Great Crew
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOMarch 11, 2015
I have been at the Thrifty Nickel for almost eleven years. In my time, I have been taught much about customer service, problem solving, meeting deadlines, data entry, etc. The crew is very efficient here, and it is a pleasure to come to work.
Part of the Quad City Times
Take classified orders, faxing, giving assistant (Former Employee), Davenport, IAFebruary 4, 2015
Thrifty nickel is part of the Quad City Times.

See review of the Quad City Times.

Working with sales reps and customers. Proof ads out and making changes on ads. Printing out customer bills and booking ads. Writing up instructions on how to use the system.

Learned how to use Power point and always be claim with talking with customers. Often you are the first person they talk to and the claimer you are if they are mad the better the out come.

Wonderful management. They are willing to talk to you at anytime and help out with any problems you might have.

We work as we are a family always joking with each other and giving help when needed.

Talking to upset customers on the phone.

Meeting new people everyday and keeping in contact with the customer you already have.
High stress, little to no reward.
employee (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXOctober 16, 2014
Pros: the people
Cons: everything else
High stress job with no leadership. Manager is not there when needed and does not immediately respond to phone calls.Security of sensitive information is not guaranteed. No incentive to do more than what is required. Most of the employees are cool and easy going, although there are a couple of backstabbers and liars to watch out for.
Productive and fun workplace filled with smiles and laughter.
Front Counter Sales Representative (Current Employee), Columbus, GaJuly 31, 2014
A typical day at work would involve opening the business and preparing for the day ahead (setting up and making coffee for the customers, etc.), assisting walk in customers, taking payments, answering incoming calls, running credit cards and posting payments to accounts (mine along with other sales staff), making several cold calls to businesses and potential customers, taking messages, and faxing invoices. My co-workers are very witty and absolutely brilliant! They make me smile on rough days. The hardest part of my job would have to be diffusing occasional conflict or confusion with customers regarding the printing of their ad. The most enjoyable part of my job would have to be the customers and co-workers. Absolutely love talking with and helping them!
Great environment to work in. Very Christian and great Employer
Secretary/Production (Former Employee), Hobbs, NMJuly 7, 2014
Pros: got to pick my kids up from school or needed to leave for my kids i was able to.
Cons: no health benefits
Answered phones, assisted customers, paid bills, ran errands, worked with PhotoShop, Word, Indesign, all different types of programs, worked front desk, made new accounts, and put paper together
Great staff, love the work atmosphere, love my bosses
Front Counter Sales Representative (Current Employee), Columbus, GaApril 14, 2013
Pros: have a blast with co-workers and customers, up beat environment, able to help and assist not just customers but staff as well.
Cons: no benefits, paid vacations, or chance at job title promotion.
A typical day of work begins at 8:30 a.m. as I open up. I cut off the alarm, turn on lights, computers, fax machines, copiers, and coffee pot. I then set out donuts and coffee for our customers. Take messages off the answering machine and give them to the correct person. Stock anything that may be running low (paper in the copier to sugar for coffee) so that we may get through the day smoothly. Once we open, I answer our multi-line phone, take messages, greet customers and help them as they arrive in our building, run credit cards for accounts, mail out invoices and weekly papers, type outside sales representatives line ads along with my own, call customers for ad renewal, and solicit sales over the phone. At the end of the day, I pull all records and reports of the end of day sales and balance them to make sure everything matches and all money has been placed in the right accounts and posted correctly. Finally, I close down by turning off all machines, lights, and coffee pots, set the alarm, lock the doors and go home.
Fast-paced & creative work environment
Graphic Designer (Current Employee), Davenport, IAOctober 16, 2012
• Work on newpaper ads & niche publications; paginate
• Expanded my knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, Pongrass Pagination
• Management was always available to hear concerns; improve creative environment
• Duties with co-workers always an enjoyable & fun environment
• Always up for a challenge
• Most enjoyable part of job was seeing the finished product & getting positive feedback from customer
place ads in paper
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Longview, TXOctober 6, 2012
Pros: fun lots of windows
Cons: only one not family laid off
answer phone in professional matter, help place ad or research ads in paper .post payment or payment method. put paper together