Thrivent Financial Employee Reviews

Great Culture and Fantastic Benefits
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 17, 2016
My time at Thrivent was great. I unfortunately was hired on into a start-up inside of the parent company Thrivent Financial and it didn't take off. I loved working for Thrivent and would recommend this company to everyone.
Pros
Cheap Parkin, Great work life balance and Benefits
Cons
Silo managemetn style
Great faith based organization offering a premier culture and environment
VP - Results Management Team (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 23, 2016
Thrivent is by far my favorite employer in the Twin Cities. Great environment, mission driven, actively take care of their people. Great opportunity for advancement and rewards for performance.
Pros
Great employee environment and culture
Cons
Work life balance on target
BI Lead System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIJanuary 1, 2016
Co-workers were great to work with and knowledgeable. Thrivent allows paid volunteer and are big on giving back to the community - Feed My Starving Children is done on-site. Ability to work remote when needed made the work life balance lifestyle ideal.
Pros
Healthcare on-site, paid training and education reimbursement
Cons
Management / Executive team breakdown in communication, looking to hire a young workforce
Great place to work, until it wasn't
Office Professional (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALFebruary 26, 2016
My bosses were great until they fired me to hire someone who would work for less money.

I worked for them for 4 years and only got one raise of $1/per hour the whole time I worked there.
Can be Ok to work there but watch your back!
Security Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 5, 2016
For a Christian Faith Based Organization, it has a lot of work to improve up that notion. Your Supervisors and trainers are nice to your face but so back stab you to others when your not around. They can be condescending and constantly hold your job over your head. Benefits could use some improvement and pay and compensation really need to be evaluated. The cost of living between the headquarters city of Appleton Wisconsin and Minneapolis Minnesota which is down from that are considerably different and not evenly balanced. Affirmative Action plays too much in the hiring and promotion. Training and advancement is not easy depending on the Supervisor and whether or not they like you in the first place. One thing is said to you but another is actually done. Shifts are not consistent and your shifts change way to frequent and you cannot establish a good sleep pattern when it comes to you shift being changed on you. Too much Whishy Washy behavior among the supervision..
Pros
Day Shift
Cons
Atmosphere and Work Ethic.
A hand in my pocket.
Registered Financial Associate (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJune 12, 2016
This industry overall is a challenging one as often those who enter are unaware of how much it will cost them. The numbers are not clear and it was definitely not clear that not only would my first years of compensation need to be paid back but that they were able to deduct it as wage when in fact is was only a loan. So not only did I have to pay rent in a space that they provided and had rules of use, but that they had a hand in my commissions and then I also had to pay them back for the commission paid in the first couple of years and pay taxes on it. In the end, I left as I did not see a financial benefit and then if I did yield a profit, the business would never be mine as I was a captive agent and the customer base ultimately belonged to the Thrivent Managing Partner. So I went off on my own.
That being said, this is not uncommon for this industry. Buyer be ware.
Pros
Dynamic work environment, great training, great outside sales experience and challenging
Cons
Very expensive.
Great group to work with. Lots of changes in past 2 years. Downsizing cost jobs across the nation, unless you are getting into the insurance sales bu.
Community Engagement Coordinator / South Region (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WISeptember 5, 2016
Downsizing past 2-years in sales support. Fiesta looking for insurance reps.
Loved event planning and creating marketing materials.Lots of positions are remote.
work from home
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIDecember 14, 2015
I got to work from home which was nice. Co-workers were awesome to work with. Management was good and was there for me through some medical issues. Hardest part of the jobs was when you get that call that no matter how hard you try to help it is not good enough but then you get that call that makes you realize why you do the job you do and the per joy in the member/FRs voice. I have learned a lot with Thrivent from listening to take on different products to help more members/FRs.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Not feeling good enough.
Good
Assist in preparation and follow-up for meetings (Current Employee) –  Batesville, ARJune 26, 2016
Good company to work for. Undervalued as an employee being an OP. No insurance or benefit. Being that they are a financial advising company they should have insurance for their employees, but technically the FR's hire the OP's is how they get away with it. As generous as they claim to be they should provide insurance and benefits to OP's.
Upper Mgmt needs a wake up call
FINANCIAL SERVICES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  OhioJune 24, 2016
Prefer not to expound. Their message is not lived out by the way they treat reps. Training is not up to what is needed to do the job proficiently. Loved my clients but corporate seemed to forget how they got to where they are currently.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Constantly changing commissions
Former employee
Sales (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 16, 2016
Non-retaliation policy exists but is not executed. HR does not help when there is a management problem. Loved the job, passive aggressive mentality.
Well-run Company
Brokerage Operations Professional (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 23, 2016
Thrivent is a very well-run company, with a great culture. They encourage outside volunteer time, offer many opportunities for advancement and training, and I would highly recommend Thrivent to any job seeker.
Great company, great leaders
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Mayfield, KYJanuary 25, 2016
I do not like being a telemarketer and spending so much time on the phone begging people to listen to our presentation. I feel very comfortable with their financial management and their integrity is impressive.
Pros
Fantastic supervisor
Cons
Too much emphasis on insurance sales
Kind and considerate workplace
Advanced Markets Consultant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 18, 2016
A supportive work environment, but the company is working through some significant growing pains. The benefits are very comprehensive, including a pension.
wonder place to work and belong
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 23, 2016
Best Place to be a Financial Advisor. Super Friendly and kind.

Great Management

The work is flex-able and rewarding

fortune 300 with great growth oppotunies
Pros
culture
Great place to work!
Customer Service Professional (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIJune 30, 2016
I love working with Thrivent! Once you are hired as a corporate employee, the difference is night and day. It's great to work with a company that cares for their members and employees so much!!
Associate with a Wealth Advisor
Associate (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 29, 2016
Excellent company to work for. They are a faith oriented based company that instill their life/work balance for their employee's. Give great opportunities.
Company with a good heart, but sometimes uneven execution
Team Lead/Internal Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 2, 2016
Many long tenured employees
Passionate about their mission of helping Christians be wise with money and live generously
Faith based, fraternal benefit financial services company
Financial Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX areaFebruary 4, 2016
I was totally in charge of my own schedule, as I was a one man home office. I made my own phone calls, set my own appointments, and set up my own events to engage and interest prospects. My success was totally up to me, but I had no one to show me the ropes, as I had no prior experience in sales or financial services. Marketing and prospecting were the hardest parts of the job for me. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people secure their financial present and future. Thrivent's motto is "combining faith and finances for good."
Open Door Communication
HR Consultant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 17, 2015
Able to work around a schedule that works for my life and my time is valuable not only to me but also to the company. My typical day is processing requests from our employees. I have learned a new HR system that I have not previously worked with. My manager is awesome and includes all her employees including the contractors in all aspects of the business. My co-workers are fun and always very helpful. The hardest part of my job is knowing that eventually it will end as I am a contract employee. The most enjoyable is when I get to help solve someone's else's problem.
Pros
Plenty of places to eat, on the skyway, can easily commute
Cons
No discounts for contractors in the cafeteria.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thrivent Financial. Our community is ready to answer.