Thriveworks Employee Reviews

A place to truly THRIVE.
Client Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Littleton, COMay 31, 2017
I am so grateful to Thriveworks Counseling in Littleton! The company has an amazing culture and is thoroughly pleasant to work for. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing each day that I will be in a supportive and consistent environment. The management is thoughtful and extremely positive. i have learned so much about the world of counseling and have seen what a life changing experience it is for the clients and counselors as well. I highly recommend Thriveworks.
Pros
Great consideration for well being and care.
Great Environment
Clinician Intern (Current Employee) –  Conway, ARMay 21, 2017
This has been a great place for me to intern and treat patients with hands-on, professional experience. The therapists and owner are very kind and helpful. I would recommend this place for your treatment.
Pathetic...Chaotic....Stressful.....Unprofessional
Credentialing (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAApril 21, 2017
Soooo where do I start?? This company is a complete joke, they have zero training for the chaotic stressful job you are about to embark on. You will be thrown into a pile of projects that you have no idea how to work. You also use the most unsecure programs such as Gmail for your business email platform that the healthcare providers are sending personal and sensitive documents through, and half the time can't even open them due to the computers not having adobe so your job becomes that much harder. They promise you that the workload will be manageable once they get staffed properly which will never happen becuase no one stays, as the most tenured employee has only been there a little over a year. The pay is terrible (way below the national average) for the amount of work you have and the micromanaging and drama you have to deal with... but the best part is when they pay new people with no experience more than what their current employees are making (you know the employees that have been loyal and stuck with them through the "tough times".) The credentialing manager is the biggest liar, hypocrite and joke that ever walked with zero experience in the credentialing job. They claim they want people with degrees but dont have degrees themselves. I have never seen such an unprofessional company in my life. The amount of projects you will have to work that were sold merely to make a buck is ridiculous and then it becomes your job to let the provider know that they paid a bunch of money and we can not get them on anything they want. You will quickly see that this company is all about  more... the money in their pockets and does not care if the employees are suffering. They will flaunt a laid back atmosphere, Parties, Champagne, Pizza and Donuts to paint a picture of the dream job we all want however this is a nightmare you can't wake up from. All the 5 star reviews have been written by family or friends of management please be mindful of that before applying to this outfit.  less
Pros
Co Workers who share the same pain
Cons
The lack of training, Pure Chaos, Low Pay, Management, Basically the rest of the company
Lies and more Lies
Credentialing Specialist (Former Employee) –  VAApril 3, 2017
I find it interesting that most of the positive reviews are written by family members.

This company is completely a sham. You are promised many things upon being hired and then thrown into a chaotic, stressful, mess of a job. You are not trained. You are paid poorly. While all jobs are stressful, you should not go into work dreading every single day. Most employees at this company feel this way. The reason why the employees are close is because they all commiserate over hating their job and looking for new ones. The amount of turn over speaks for itself. The amount of disgruntled former employees tells you that you shouldn't apply. There are MANY other options that are going to benefit you more than this particular job. The company does not help people, it lies to its patients and to the people that purchase services in order to make an extra buck. STAY FAR AWAY!
Pros
Nice Coworkers
Cons
Everything else
Best Place for Counselors
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VADecember 14, 2016
Thriveworks offers the best environment for counselors to focus on what's important to them; working with client's. There is a sense of autonomy that allows counselors to flourish and grow professionally. The benefits of working in this environment extend to the quality team members that work within Thriveworks. There are competent staff to manage day to day operations and sufficient support clinically. Thriveworks offers a solution for counselors who truly enjoy therapy focus and master their craft.
Warm and inviting atmosphere
Fellow Clinician (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VADecember 5, 2016
My experience at Thriveworks has been a positive one. From my interview on, the atmosphere has been very welcoming. A feeling of relaxation is promoted upon walking into the office. The warm and inviting atmosphere allows me to provide quality counseling services to individuals.
Pros
Positive atmosphere and helpful coworkers
Cons
Credentialing takes a long time, but this is no different than other employers of this nature
One of the most caring companies to work for
Credentialing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VADecember 5, 2016
Thriveworks is a company where if you do your job,and are a hard worker, you will realize how much opportunity there is to grow with the company and will see just how much they care about each and every employee. The CEO in particular is down to earth, generous, really cares about the well being of the employees at the same time making sure that the company is successful. What other company do you actually get to say you not only see the owner on a weekly or even daily basis but that they know you by name?!?! Hard work and dedication is rewarded within the company and personal praise is given all the time.

It may be a demanding and hard job, but nothing in life is easy, you are successful based on the work you put in and this company is one that makes it known to it's employees that with hard work comes growth and opportunity.

The rest of the staff and co-workers are great, always trying to put a smile on eachother's faces, very caring. Management is always there and available to their team and wants to be sure that they are happy within their position and are in the right position as well so that they can shine.
Pros
CEO is awesome!, management awesome, work hard play hard atmosphere
Cons
Stressful times can be stressful (but so is any job)
Efficient and Enjoyable
LPC (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VANovember 30, 2016
I've worked here at Thriveworks as a Licensed Professional Counselor for the past several months. The atmosphere is light and friendly. Everyone I've met has been helpful and engaging, making it a pleasure to come to work. While this is a challenging field and emotionally draining at times, Thriveworks has cheerful and energetic employees and management that are quick to respond and encourage. I truly appreciate those who work behind the scenes in a supportive role as well as my fellow clinicians. I frequently have clients comment on the atmosphere and mood of Thriveworks. They are always impressed with the office and comment about how comfortable it makes them feel. We are truly all working together as a team to provide the best services in the area.
Pros
laid back, friendly atmosphere, helpful employees
Cons
Excellent support for Clinicians!
Senior Fellow Clinician (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VANovember 29, 2016
I have been working at Thriveworks as a licensed clinician and by far this is the best experience that I have had working in a professional environment.
Pros
Good benefits package for full time staff
Cons
Great place to work with endless room for growth
Corporate Finance & Franchise Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VANovember 28, 2016
I love working at Thriveworks. This is an exciting, relatively young, quickly growing company with enormous opportunity for growth. I've been with the company a little over a year and I'm about to receive my third promotion. If you're willing to work hard and go above and beyond, it will certainly be recognized.

The culture at Thriveworks is one of fun, light-heartedness, and inclusion. The job can be stressful at times (as with any position), but every member of the team is willing to help out at a moment's notice.
Wonderful Corporate Culture
Clinician (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsOctober 5, 2016
Though there is always encouragement and an expectation to deliver quality services, the working atmosphere is relaxed and supportive. Teamwork is emphasized and achieved while individual accomplishments are celebrated. It is an excellent company to work for.
Pros
Quality work is supported. Teamwork emphasized
Not as great as it seems
Credentialing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VASeptember 12, 2016
At first this company seemed to be fun, laid back, and great company to work for. After a month or so I learned that it was and awful place to work. I really regreted giving up my other job to conme there. The CEO was extremely rude. Also there are some more than questionable things that go on there. I thought that working at a counseling office would feel great because your working for a company that helps people, but No I felt like all Thriveworks did was rip people off especially with the subscription fee! Then there is no one who ever stepped up and tried to figure or fix things. They always wanted to play the blame game. I would not recommend this company to any one. If you do take a job here make sure you take instructions from the director of health care opperations she is the only one who knows whats going on.
Pros
Coworkers, donuts, pizza
Cons
Benefits, work load
Hard to give clients the care they deserve
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Not VirginiaAugust 23, 2016
I love providing therapy. I thought Thriveworks would be a great place for that as a young therapist. Well decorated offices, and they manage all the billing and credentialing, which was extremely valuable. However, being a franchise, I felt lost from day one. It felt like I had to call Virginia to discover where the extra kleenex was. Which was irritating, but I still got to see clients. However, the billing and scheduling staff is so over-worked, that there were many mess-ups. I had clients double-booked, or booked when I wasn't in the office and this was just terrible customer service for people who are trying to get help.

Honestly, I could deal with all of that. What was most difficult for me were the ethics behind their tiered or subscription service (which was in flux over the time I was there). I understand the idea of a boutique clinic, where you pay extra to have greater access and flexibility to care. However, it felt like the "extras" being offered with the subscription service were never actually discussed with therapists. At one point, clients could pay to have therapists "prioritize" their emails, when in fact, as an ethical therapist I respond to all client emails as soon as possible. These rules (and rules for no-show fees) changed several times without clear communication to the providers or the clients. These issues didn't allow me to create a safe space for my clients where they could be heard, rather than worried about being exploited.

However, the other clinicians I met at Thriveworks all seemed caring and competent, and I think most people had good
  more... intentions. Even management. I get that insurances don't reimburse enough for what we do, and a bigger profit would help with all the other issues (not enough help with billing/scheduling, errors, etc.)

I don't refer people to Thriveworks because I'm worried that they don't put the client experience first. I want to support my clients, not trick them into paying a fee for a service that doesn't actually exist.
Pros
nice offices, they handle credentialing and billing
Cons
explotive policies, no structure/support, many errors in scheduling
Serious issues
Credentialing specialist (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJune 23, 2016
The first few weeks I loved my job, the donuts and champagne, the laid back attitude and the flexibility. But soon I realized the high turnover, lack of training and poor management created a miserable work life.
They provide little training leaving you unprepared. They promise you will ease into the workload due to the lack of training then drop huge projects on your plate that even the most experienced employees (of less than a year) can't help with. Because the department is so behind you will constantly be taking over other people's work. You ask for help or training and are told you'll be fine. It's a never ended circle, they can't keep employees because of the chaos then hire new employees just in time for the others to leave so the promise for a manageable workload is not possible.
Management: nobody communicates not with the employees and seeming not to eachother. Every supervisor will tell you something different. There's serious favoritism due to friends and family being hired probably out of desperation. They even launched online forms and didn't even tell the employees! From your first day you don't know who or how to report to a supervisor, to clock in etc because nobody shows up on time. Other reviews speak of the ceo and vp, I didn't have issues with them, and found both to be kind. Unfortunately they both don't seem to know what a mess the office is as they deal with the franchises and such. If these higher ups actually saw the problems they could fix it however my take is that they just don't know, again because of no communication.
Thriveworks is too
  more... laid back, there's no supervision or accountability which combined with the overdue work load creates a lack of motivation, and the lack of organization will make your life miserable. Also the benefits are terrible. Don't get sucked in, you'll soon realize you should've taken the other jobs you were offered that didn't appear to be a laid back paradise.  less
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Poor management, lack of training, unorganized
Fulfilling, respectful, encouraging work environment
Writer (Current Employee) –  onlineMay 27, 2016
I have worked for Thriveworks for several years, in different capacities. In my current role, I have a lot of interaction with upper level management, which has always been very respectful and encouraging. Thriveworks is on the cutting edge of the counseling world, and is always coming up with new ways to reach clients and engage with them in a meaningful way. I am honored to be part of the journey of this company.
Great Team / Industry Leaders
Director (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAMay 25, 2016
Thriveworks is a great place to work. I've witnessed a lot of growth since in my time with the company. We're constantly trying to improve our services and develop new strategies for helping people in the mental health field. Our work is rewarding, but it is hard work. We have great employees here, who daily go above and beyond for our clients and franchise locations. I'm proud to be a part of this industry-leading company.
Pros
Comfortable work environment, supportive teams, creative services
Cons
parking is a little tight
Excellent Workplace!
Attorney at Law (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAApril 21, 2016
I've worked as an attorney at Thriveworks for about 3 years now. It's grown tremendously over that period of time. The work-life balance is excellent, and it's really a pleasure to come into work. The HQ is about a 6000 square foot vintage-modern fusion space, with brick walls and high ceilings. It's an open floor plan for lots of collaboration. There's a lot of work to do, so there's always a lot of commotion. What else...lots of great things about working here. Last Christmas management rented out the downtown kids' museum--which was a blast. We usually have more than a few parties and events every year. There's always something going on--whether it's a contest of some kind, or maybe the CEO hit gift cards all over the offices to help get everyone through the doldrums of February. This year we were all to busy to take down the Christmas tree--EASTER TREE! There's champagne on Fridays (literally, 4pm). The best part of my job is the people--the people at Thriveworks are deeply passionate about their mission, and also care a lot about one another. If you're looking for a job where you can punch in, be apathetic, and punch out, you won't last here. But I believe that everyone who tries and applies themselves does great, and has a very positive and rewarding career at Thriveworks.
Pros
The people, the Culture, always something interesting going on, the HQ space itself
Cons
Lots of growth means things are always changing
Excellent work environment
Owner/Practicing LPC (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAApril 20, 2016
Thriveworks has an excellent corporate culture. Working as an owner and practicing clinician at the Marietta location has been the best work experience of my life. I am doing the work I have great passion for, with a highly competent, compassionate and caring staff. We truly work as a cohesive team to create the most positive and beneficial experience for our clients. I am continuously challenged and supported to grow and excel in the mental health field. I'm proud to be a part of the Thriveworks family!
Great place to work and collaborate with
Franchise Owner (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 20, 2016
The location and overall atmosphere is professional and inviting, since using there services for 3 years. They are both patient and hard working. The staff make every attempt to get back to their clients. The employees and staff are professional and dedicated to helping both the franchisee and providers.
Pros
patience and experience
All about the profit, very unethical
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAApril 7, 2016
Wow someone caught on to management... yes they write the 5 star reviews. Where to start?
Their therapist and employees at the office are always leaving, there is terrible turnover. They are focused on making money quick, therefore overworking and underpaying their staff. Their clients pay a yearly fee for "Gold Service" only every other therapist replies to emails and voicemails, there is no gold service. There are so many aspects of the business, some stay and some are just ideas that never take off. They do credentialing, and unless you hound them about your account, they really do not update you. There is a lot of turnover which makes it hard to know who to deal with. They have a billing service... wait... they had a billing service, got rid of it, got it back and got rid of it again. You CANNOT get out of a contract with them without paying but if they decide to stop doing your billing, you only get 30-60 days notice. It is only a matter of time before franchises start to blow up. They have this great concept but they do not have top notch staff that knows all the ins and outs. Most of their staff is newly out of school and often have no experience. You would think being as big as they claim to be they would be able to afford the best of the best staff to be number one. Last, don't get attached to your counselor they do not stay either.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
Everyone is miserable and would leave in a second with a another offer.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thriveworks. Our community is ready to answer.