TIAA Employee Reviews

Productive, Great deal of monthly training. Friendly co-workers
FIELD SALES SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHDecember 5, 2016
Constantly busy. Worked from home for 5 yrs. I learned a great deal of hands on job skills. Involved with a number of groups. I was able to volunteer for projects that gave me excellent company exposure.
Pros
Great group of co-workers
Cons
Working from home can result in longer hours
Great pay, not the best coworkers
Junior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 1, 2016
The only thing that kept me going back to TIAA was the amount of money that I was making. It's a very clique-like environment that includes one woman who likes to bully people in order to get what she wants. She's never called on it, and never gets into trouble because so many people are "afraid" of her even though she's a low ranking administrative assistant. She creates a hostile work environment for everyone working there.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Terrible, hostile work environment
Strong collaborative culture / heavy work volume
Human Resoures Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 30, 2016
I very much appreciated my experience with TIAA. Great people, great culture. Strong values. People are motivated to do their best for the company and leaders. There have been some reasonable cost cutting measures in the past 18 months resulting in job eliminations/downsizing. Unfortunately, what hasn't changed/reduced accordingly is the volume of work/initiatives. This has created at least a temporary imbalance of work-life (perhaps not in all business areas).
Pros
Great values, collaborative approach, good benefits
Cons
Work-life currently out of balance a bit
Many talented people, can be a great work environment
Reporting, Analytics and Tools Team Manager EPMO (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 18, 2016
I was fortunate enough to work here for 17 years in several different positions. During my time there, I enjoyed my jobs most of the time, I had the opportunity to build my skill set and apply my skills. The current environment and culture is different from when I started; while I am not adverse to change, much of the change was due to the challenging business climate. I would strongly recommend the company to someone that finds a position that matches what they are looking for.
Pros
Very good benefits, challenging work environment
Cons
Going through some changes
Great place to work!!
MD, Regulatory Participant Communications (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 15, 2016
very good company. cares for its employee and clients/
great management and benefits and compensation are fair. A great company
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Talented people on an honorable mission
Sr. Business Analyst - Institutional Product PMO (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 15, 2016
TIAA is a great place to work, if you are looking for a challenging fast-paced environment. I really like the mission, which is to serve those who serve others in the non-profit and not-for-profit spaces. Work hours can be long, but compensation is very fair. The company also embraces telecommuting, which can really boost quality of life if you live in a large metropolitan area where the roads are highly congested (like Houston, TX).

The only "ding" I am giving the company is over job security. I was laid off after 2.5 years due to thin margins, interest rates, etc. They are not the only company that participates in this cost reducing practice. However, I think if you are going to talk about valuing people over all else, you should "walk the walk" and make that move as a last resort.

In any case, I still look back at my time there fondly. I feel as if I grew professionally as a result of my time there. I would gladly accept a position at TIAA in the future, and still recommend the company to anyone who is looking for a rewarding challenge.
Pros
Telecommute, fair compensation, challenging work
Cons
Light training, gigantic organization
Productive fun place to work
Manager, Accounting Policy (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 14, 2016
Great place to work,

They put the customer first, Value its people, workers act with integrity, company strive to deliver excellence, foster a culture of taking personal accountability.

I learned to operate as on team knowing the we need each other to succeed.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Great company to work for. Best work culture seen so far.
Sr. Software Developer / Sr. Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sr. Java DeveloperNovember 14, 2016
Great company to work for. Best work culture seen so far.
Good people. Good work life balance. Highly organized management. lot of work required still low stress environment.
Decent Company
Senior Learning Specialist (PROMOTION) (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 10, 2016
Decent company; work life balance; friendly environment; depending on job - workflow okay; cafeteria; walking trails
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
n/a
Best place to work
QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 8, 2016
Has fitness center the great cafeteria, Was hard to get along with minimal Help. But all the structured planning and documents helped me get thru fast. Friendly Restricted environment.
Pros
Lunch_ons
Cons
Great Benefits and a lot of over time
Recordkeeping Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 8, 2016
Pay and benefits are comparable to the industry. But because of attrition there is not a lot of work-life balance and a great deal of uncertainties.
Pros
Benefits and PTO
Cons
Not a lot of work-life balance and a great deal of uncertainties.
Fun, result oriented, and cooperative place to work
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Iselin, NJNovember 7, 2016
Different roles have different requirements to excel in the current role. I have been fortunate to get opportunities to work with institutional as well as individual client business partners where delivering results matters.

Hard work gets recognized, teamwork is exceptional, and multiple networking opportunities provides for an enjoyable work experience.
needs new leadership
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 3, 2016
Weak leadership
Very political not in a good way
Culture is quite passive aggressive
Could be great with new leadership and better HR leadership
Great coworkers
Incompetent leadership at the trust company
Mid level manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 2, 2016
Trust Co. is way under funded relative to growth. Wealth Management WMAs are churned at an annual rate of 20%. Clients are unaware that technology, product line and service are 10 years behind industry leaders - Fidelity and Vanguard. Trust Co. management are want-to-be's who are incompetent and full of themselves. TIAA Direct was on the verge of being shutdown under OCC consent order. Client's get practically nothing in exchange for a management fee.

Trust Co. in St Louis lacks depth, expertise and capabilities. Muti-tasking takes on a whole new meaning at this organization and then they have the nerve to tell you what a horrible job you are doing.

TIAA participants are being sold a bill of goods by WMAs with huge numbers to hit.

Bonuses were cut dramatically in 2015 under the "new" incentive compensation structure.

The bank acquired EverTrust in order to avoid being shutdown by the OCC.
Pros
A good place to be from.
Cons
Hostile and unhealthy work environment.
Unappreciative Leadership Culture... You're just a number!
Sr. Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 1, 2016
One time TIAA had an awesome culture & work environment, but over the years it has not lived up to it's values. That's how it was in Marketing.

Decisions made by senior management has costs the company millions of dollars, and when it comes to cutting costs the employees who are the backbone of the organization are negatively impacted by layoffs and firings.
Benefits
Can't Say Enough Good Things
MBA Intern (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAOctober 28, 2016
Fantastic experience. TIAA is one of the few companies that lives out their mission statement in all they do. My 10 week MBA internship there gave me exposure to brilliant minds, strong characters and capable managers.

Employees work very hard but the work life balance seemed more manageable than most of my other friend's MBA internships in the financial services sector.

Co-Workers are eager to help and company veterans quickly reciprocated my requests to meet and learn more about their roles.
Pros
Very competitive salary, strong corporate culture, relentless client focus
Nice place to work
Facilitator II - (Senior Facilitator) (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 21, 2016
I enjoyed my years at TIAA and made some wonderful friends.
Management was very supportive at first. Once new management arrived in several areas, the culture changed somewhat.
Pros
Great people, good benefits
Cons
not much to say negative
N/a
Sr. vmware System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 18, 2016
TIAA started out nearly 100 years ago, to help ensure teachers could retire with dignity. Today, millions of people who work at not-for-profits, including academic, research, medical, government and cultural fields, rely on our wide range of financial products and services to support and strengthen their financial well-being.
Great work-life balance
Enterprise Risk Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 17, 2016
Great organization for working parents depending on role. Somewhat of a laid back environment. Plenty to learn while working.
Corporate Values are something to aspire to
Sr. Business Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 14, 2016
The environment and culture are exceptional, if the corporate values are placed into action, great things can happen. If not, then they are merely words on a piece of paper.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TIAA. Our community is ready to answer.