Tilly's

Tilly's Employee Reviews

lively and fashionable environment with phenomenal people
Store Associate (Former Employee), Lynnhaven Mall Store 108, Virginia Beach, VAMay 29, 2015
Pros: positive energy in the store, beneficial merchandise discount
Cons: not many hours/week (seasonal)
When I worked for Tilly's, I would arrive early to greet my coworkers of the day and stow my belongings in my locker, which I found very trustworthy of the company to provide. I then would proceed to connect my walkie-talkie and acquire a set of keys if working the fitting rooms section. I would float around my section and straighten up and refold jumbled clothing. I always stayed aware of any nearby persons--whom could be a possible shoplifting threat to the outstanding company. I learned much about others based on attitude and mood, and how they desired assistance, which improved my overall role as a service associate. I also gained a stronger fashion sense when working for this retail/clothing store because I sort of became an eagle, detecting certain fashion cues to better accommodate customers. Towards the end of my shift, I was to return my talkie and keys, find the manager on duty, and clock out at the front cash register. Before I exited the store, he or she was to observe my belongings and clear me to go home. Honestly, there was one time I had been written up at the beginning of my employment because I did not follow the exit procedures once, but after that I maintained appropriate conduct and followed through with my word. My coworkers were always happy and energetic to see customers and me, as well. I enjoyed spending time with them during shifts because it was always a good vibe! I would not describe any part of my employment as being 'the hardest part', though I found great pride in perfecting the organization of the tedious denim wall. (lol :P) The most enjoyable – more... part had to be the interactions with customers because I could tell upon greeting people that my positive energy had radiated and it was more often than not returned, which I appreciate such a major boost of self confidence and attitude! To conclude, I know working for Tilly's benefitted my overall well-being and in the long run, I feel that is what is most important. I sincerely enjoyed working for the company and if you feel I will benefit from yours, then please do not hesitate to appropriate my employment! :) – less
Productive, fun, busy
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Independence, MissouriMay 27, 2015
Pros: Great Break times
Cons: clear bags inside the store
Going into Tilly's you go straight to the back, put your belongings away, clock-in and grab a walkie-talkie, a ear piece and your nametag, then you head out and walk the store for numerous hours, helping customers pick clothes, and give them suggestions. I learned what it takes to be a true helper to customers and learn what they like! The management was awesome! they were always fun, they tried to make the best out of the day, making you laugh, and most of the time give you slack on the things you were slacking on! My co- workers were THE BEST ever! they were FUN, Loud, crazy (In a good way) and they always wanted to have fun. Everyday at Tilly's was something new. The hardest part of the job is when the store is busy and you have to help EVERY single customer, if you don't, you at least have to have conversations with them. The most enjoyable part of the job is when we play a game when the store is running slow, and whoever has the least sales, has to go home early!
A Learning Experience
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Woodbridge, VAMay 19, 2015
Pros: Employee discount, opportunities for promotions/raises
Cons: Strictly work environment and friendships at work are discouraged, work is mainly divided for a specific person creating a higher stress environment
On a day to day basis, the store was run according to high standards. It was easy for all workers to embrace the company's culture. Management was a bit emotionally strung out on the job which created a tense environment quite often. Store kept to policy and standards 100%.
Fun and uplifting work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Anaheim Hills, CAMay 18, 2015
Pros: Discounted Clothes, Good hours
Cons: Short Breaks
Typical day started with restocking the sales floor, getting your own cash register, relate to each customer by identifying what they may need help shopping for, and to always be actively looking to help others. The management taught me very well to sell which was the hardest part of the job. My favorite part of the job was being able to enjoy each different customer and co-worker.
Upbeat workplace with friendly staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Mays Landing, NJMay 11, 2015
After I clocked in, I would be assigned to a section of the floor (typically girls or womens). Most of my time is spent assisting customers and ensuring that the section assigned remained tidy. I was cross-trained in cash so if the store became busy, I would take position as a cashier if needed in check-out. Being flexible and staying friendly with customers, no matter the stress level, is key in any fast-paced job.
Very Competitive
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Algonquin, ILMay 9, 2015
We had to engage customers constantly trying to get them to buy something or add to an outfit. A typical day was finding where specific brands were around the store and putting it away.
Okay place for students/first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), ColoradoMay 4, 2015
Pros: Good discount
Cons: retail
Tilly's was overall a decent place to work. I got along well with my co-workers and the management wasn't awful. The pay was low, but hey it's retail. I only worked there for the summer and quit because it was a little far from my house, and I was experiencing some personal issues that needed dealing with. I would recommend Tilly's to anyone looking for a decent first job or a student.
Great company if you love retail.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), NevadaApril 22, 2015
Great place to work if you love retail and customer service/customer interaction. There is also opportunity for advancement, if you are good at your job.
Fun and exciting place to work, always evolving with fashion culture
Store Manager (Former Employee), Reno, NVApril 21, 2015
My day to day business was simple yet complex....
- leadership development
- business acumen
- planning and allocations
- merchandisng
- customer service
- recruitment of future leaders to the brand
- area partnership
Sales Associate job
Sales Associate (Current Employee), New JerseyApril 20, 2015
learned how to build on sales and connect with customers. Learned how to manage the sales floor, handle cash, and sort shipment. Also, display new merchandise and dress mannequins.
Productive and fun!
Full Time Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Orlando, FLApril 17, 2015
The selling culture of Tillly's is the best. Their number one priority is the customer. They coach you in selling and the most effective ways to do so. My co-workers were all so helpful, and the fashion aspect of our job was the best part.
Probably the worst set of managers anyone could ever have
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Melbourne, FLApril 17, 2015
Pros: Bi-yearly raises, corporate visits can result in gift cards, 20% employee discount, gift card given to employee of the month
Cons: Everything else, THEY DON'T GIVE YOU ANY HOURS
Your weekly schedule (including the number of hours you work) is based on your sales stats... which is based on whatever the cashier decides to do during checkout. This kind of system caused a lot of problems in the store that I worked at; a lot of sale-stealing blaming and whatnot. This is really a terribly thought-out and fallible way of giving your employees hours, because, let's be honest, people in my stores stole those large sales quite often. Definitely not uncommon, and I'm sure it happens in other locations.

On top of this, my managers, save one, were completely incompetent. Absolutely the worst group of people I have ever had as my superiors. I will not go into details, but one of them in particular caused a lot of problems with me when I worked here while in high school. It was so unnecessary and it messed with my (already poor) mental health so badly. After leaving my position to go to college, I vowed to never step foot in, shop at, or work for this company ever again. In addition, I advise anyone who brings up my past employment here to not support this company. Absolutely horrific business practices, no benefits to being a sales associate.

The Job/Work Life Balance portion was rated four stars due to the fact that you barely got any hours per week. There would be months where I would only have one four-hour shift per week. I think the most hours I ever got in one week was somewhere around 30, and that was during peak. What is the point of that?
Fun employees
Sales (Former Employee), Brentwood, CAApril 8, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of making sales, suggesting clothing articles to customers, and recovering products that weren't neat. Co-workers were very helpful in learning the job and all that it required. Hardest part of the job is that it was fairly repetitive. The most enjoyable part is that it you get to meet new people constantly.
Really exciting environment with compassionate company.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Lake Grove, NYApril 2, 2015
Pros: Benefits, long breaks, environment.
A typical day at work required counting the safe along with every till. I had to make the store customer ready with our team. Every day we made sure to give our best customer service by greeting every customer politely and seeing what their specific shopping needs were. We made sure we were always available to help. My co-workers were very personable and made it more than a job. I loved helping customers shop and working with the team at this store.
Retail 101 entry level for training robotic sales associates
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Costa Mesa, CAApril 2, 2015
Pros: Meet a diverse group of people
Cons: Very low salary with high expectations
Extensive training for all levels of employees. Micromanaging everything you did when you were in the building. Multiple occasions where they would have you work off the clock. Felt like boot camp for retail. No freedom what so ever. Call in shifts were horrible and really messed up any attempt at planning ahead or being in school. Met a mass number of great people though whom which I still remain in contact with today. Learned a lot of retail management skills that I was able to take with me to further my career as a manager with higher pay. Promotions were difficult due to favoritism and the job responsibilities did not match the amount of pay you were getting. You would be given $.13 for a raise after a year if you did good on your review. When they start you at minimum wage that isn't enough to make a living off of. Good first job for 16 year olds other than that its not a place to make a career path.
Would not recommend
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Henderson, NVMarch 28, 2015
Pros: They'll hire just about anyone
Cons: No recognition for good work
I felt as though this company, or at least this store in particular were very unprofessional in the way they handled things. Don't expect to be commended for your accomplishments i.e. making top sales. Because your performance was so heavily based on making sales, many employees would hover around expensive items hoping to make a big sale instead of worry about the customer's experience in the store.
Flashy appearance, with fun ways of communicating to one another. Good selling techniques, provides useful information on clothes and style.
Assistant Cashier (Former Employee), Oak Park, ILMarch 28, 2015
Pros: Employee discount, good music played in-store, never a dull day.
Cons: cleaning a already spotless store when no customers are around. No other flaws.
- You clock in, count all the money in the cash register that you're responsible for, and then sell merchandise to customers, at the end you clean up the store.
- I learned how to sell merchandise to customers who may not know much about the brand they're about to buy.
-Management is almost flawless, we have absolutely no problems with managing the store, managing the customers is no problem whether respectful or not.
- Between the customers there's a friendly competition between ringing up the customers and selling the merchandise to the customers. This makes selling easy for the store over all.
- Hardest part of the job may be trying to clean the store when no customers are around when the store is already spotless.
- Enjoyable part of the job may be talking with the customers and selling the merchandise.
Demanding and stressful work environment not adequete to pay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Tustin, CAMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Always changing company strategies
Cons: Poor Management, Inadequate pay.
A typical work day consists of many tasks to be completed as well as high pressure from management for sales with very little training. What i learned from Tilly's was managerial tactics as well as the ability to sell multiple products while completing various duties. Upper Management was very poor, lacked training and never took accountability for their actions. Co-workers were the best part of the job making the atmosphere tolerable. The hardest part of the job was preforming multiple tasks for an unrealistically low pay. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to learn various selling techniques which i could apply to future careers.
Fun atmosphere.
LEAD CASHIER / SALES (Former Employee), Gilbert, AZMarch 24, 2015
Loud music, relaxed dress code.

Learned various customer service/ sales techniques.

Fast paced sales floor.

Great co-workers ready to help.

Not much room for advancement.

Upper management seemed out of touch with store managers/ employees.
Worked part time
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Geneva, ILMarch 17, 2015
Okay for a part time job. Worked with a lot of customers. I really enjoyed working with the merchandise and demoing the boards.

1 2 3 4 5

About Tilly's

Tilly's likely has an Ollie or a Hang Ten upĀ its stores' sleeves. Through its World of Jeans & Tops subsidiary, the company operates – Read more

Tilly's Salaries