Tillys Employee Reviews in United States

working with retail
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMarch 28, 2016
such a great company to work for great co workers and management. I learned the whole operations of the clothing department. hardest part of the day is not have what someone is looking for the most enjoyable as always going home.
Pros
tasks are easy to understand as, policies, and procedures.
Cons
low compensation, high stress
Casual Envoirnment
E-Commerce Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CADecember 14, 2015
I learned to be able to pacify different types of escalated issues. Enjoyed the time spent with my coworkers. The best part of the job was meeting different types of people. The reason why one gets to meet all different types of people is because the company lets go of people constantly in that specific department. Some temps stay temps for more than a year without and there is no chance to advance in the company. Pay is not fair to each employee as some supervisors and or senior reps get paid the same as the new reps that stay in the company. It is a casual environment although with new management things are changing. There are flexible schedules but they are constantly changing. Within 1 year one may have 3-4 different schedules. Therefore, if you would like something really stable, maybe not the best opportunity. If you are looking for advancement, not the best opportunity. If you are just looking for additional experience, I say give it a shot. It is fairly easy to learn the different programs needed, all one has to do is learn time management and be able to speak to customers.
Pros
Casual Envoirnment, 401K, Health Benefits
Cons
Lack of Communication Between Employees and Upper Management, Give the run around on serious issues, etc.
good for high school students
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 21, 2016
Its a low wage but easy place to work. The managers will help you with any problem you have and give you praise about everything you do. I enjoyed my experience at tillys but it wasn't enough of a wage for me to stay afloat while I get my college education.
Pros
Friends
Cons
low wage
Productive and fun work environment for anyone to be a part of!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLSeptember 15, 2015
It's always a great and fun enviroment when you step foot into a Tilly's Store. Tilly's strives to reach a broad range of age groups. There's always room for growth. My co-workers and management team is there for support when needed and my associates make my job feel a lot less stressful during peak times.
Pros
Incentives, bonuses, holiday traveling.
Cons
Raises
productive and a good place to work at
Picking/Packing/Recieving (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, CAAugust 10, 2015
Easy work, from Monday-Friday sometimes overtime on the weekends. Friendly co-workers and managers, its the perfect work opportunity for high school graduates like me, with little to no expirience to start out in.

the only "major" flaw is that during the summertime the warehouse gets hot. Nothing a good hydration can solve.

I applied through a staffing agency, so I do not get benefits. But if you apply and get hired through the company you do.
Pros
upward mobility opportunity, calm workplace environment
Cons
temporary/seasonal
Not organized and management was bad at communicating
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Grandville, MIJanuary 7, 2016
I would fold clothes for 5 hours straight for the same display table or I would work the cash register for 5 hours straight.
I learned that some people when they are waiting in line a long time are very compassionate and patient. I learned that just by smiling it could make someones day.
Management could use a little work; for instance, my boss sent out a schedule every week, but some weeks I never would receive one. So I would call her and get it straightened out, but after a while stopped responding to me. They are very unorganized and do not communicate things clearly.
The hardest part of the job was the communication with my superiors.
The most enjoyable part of the job was smiling at someone and seeing how it actually affected their day.
Pros
It was a job
Cons
Not good employee treatment
A Learning Experience
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAMay 19, 2015
On a day to day basis, the store was run according to high standards. It was easy for all workers to embrace the company's culture. Management was a bit emotionally strung out on the job which created a tense environment quite often. Store kept to policy and standards 100%.
Pros
Employee discount, opportunities for promotions/raises
Cons
Strictly work environment and friendships at work are discouraged, work is mainly divided for a specific person creating a higher stress environment
Tilly's Review
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJuly 23, 2015
Tilly's is a great opportunity for college students -- it does require you to work weekends and holidays. It's a great place for those who love a fast pace environment and aggressive sales. However, I do not recommend this job for those who can't handle the stress of working long hours with low compensation and benefits.
Work environment depended on the manager's attitude.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAMay 30, 2016
Each day was very competitive and unpredictable.depending on which manager I was working with. I picked up many traits such as learning how to comfortably start conversations with customers, how to use a cash register, and how to work under any condition. My coworkers were very competitive when it came down to sales but for the most part it was fun. For the most part the managers were lenient but some managers had their bad days. The hardest part about the job was trying to work with multiple customers at one time but it started to become easier once I started to get in a rhythm. The most enjoyable part of the job was during the summer and during holiday season because everybody was able to joke around and have fun while selling at the same time.
Great environment to be, and to grow.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  El Centro, CAFebruary 11, 2016
I started with Tilly's as a regular sales associate. We opened the store from scratch. I helped move and merchandise many of the clothes in the store. As an associate I did many selling shifts, as well as merchandising shifts. Every week we will get a visual update, and had the update the store in new trends. I was then developed to be a full time Visual Merchandiser for Tilly's. For this position i would only work mon-fri in the mornings before the store opened and changed the store up to date. I had a WL team that I was in charge of , changing promotions, and making sure that all our new shipment was out on time. In less than a year I was promoted to be the Assistant Manager. I had the DOR of Visuals at the beggining, but since my manager thought I had already master that trait, she wanted me to develop in other places. As of right now, I'm the DOR for operations. I make sure that all my other managers are doing what their DOR consist of. I have to make sure all my employee's are up-to-date of every legal notice going on at the store. As an asssistant manager I also run the store, and motivate my employees to make sales, so we could make the weekly goals.
Mediocre workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXSeptember 16, 2015
Very little compensation for hard workers. They'll treat you just as well as they do to those who put in very little effort.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
No incentives to keep good workers
Workplace that reflects the lifestyle products being sold
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitehall Township, PAMay 27, 2016
This was the best first job. I have always followed/been a part of the music, art, and action sports cultures, but working at Tilly's has elevated that appreciation and connection so much higher than I could have anticipated. I remained at the same home store long enough to see a few different cycles of management and company policies come and go, and there was not anything particularly horrible that did not get resolved or was removed from the environment. 6 years later and I still go back to visit and shop!
Pros
Fast-paced (due to store volume) which means never a dull moment
Cons
Pay (low) and position advancement (may have had to do with home store/location)
Visual Merchandiser
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 2, 2016
A typical day at work included maintaining window displays, interior point-of-sale displays and clothing racks/ displays. I loved this job because it gave me the ability to express my organizational and styling skills. The management went well due to the amount of disciplined workers in the store, some of which I went to school with at the time. The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely styling the mannequins and the store window. The hardest part of the job was probably leaving due to moving back to NYC! I love visual merchandising and wish to continue my experience in this field.
Pros
Fun & friendly enviroment, some co-workers were also classmates, great area
Retail 101 entry level for training robotic sales associates
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAApril 2, 2015
Extensive training for all levels of employees. Micromanaging everything you did when you were in the building. Multiple occasions where they would have you work off the clock. Felt like boot camp for retail. No freedom what so ever. Call in shifts were horrible and really messed up any attempt at planning ahead or being in school. Met a mass number of great people though whom which I still remain in contact with today. Learned a lot of retail management skills that I was able to take with me to further my career as a manager with higher pay. Promotions were difficult due to favoritism and the job responsibilities did not match the amount of pay you were getting. You would be given $.13 for a raise after a year if you did good on your review. When they start you at minimum wage that isn't enough to make a living off of. Good first job for 16 year olds other than that its not a place to make a career path.
Pros
Meet a diverse group of people
Cons
Very low salary with high expectations
An upbeat job that requires constant movement, attention and hard work.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJanuary 13, 2016
Working at Tilly's is a great job. It is retail, so you don't get that many hours unless you're of a higher position than sales associate. Everyone is friendly and encouraging and you are encouraged to get to know everyone so that working becomes a more social experience. It's a fun job as it is based on talking to people and helping them find what they are looking for in a clothing job. If you are shy, that will most likely change since you to need to be talking to people the whole time you are on the job. The hardest part is dealing with people who just don't want any help or assistance. As long as you are friendly and approachable, most people will act the same. If people are not having it with you trying to help them out, just check on them and let them know that you are there. The most enjoyable part of the job is the job. It's very fun. It's just not the best pay and not the best hours.
Positive and friendly workplace
Sales Associate Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Santa Maria, CAFebruary 23, 2016
I have learned a lot working at Tilly's. I always made sure to give good customer service. Helping customers to the fitting rooms. Some days I would be working on the cash register. My co-workers and management were always friendly and helpful. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping a customer pick out an outfit.
Fun work environment but with little pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAApril 11, 2016
Working at Tilly's in the mall was a lot of fun however since it's a mall job, there's little money and hours were inconsistent. If the store was behind on its weekly goal, the sales associates hours would be cut. My most enjoyable times were holiday season selling Ugg boots and nikes like hotcakes. The job was commission based so the moral and drive was high.
Pros
Fun shifts, good people, commission
Cons
minimum wage, 0.05% commission rate, inconsistent hours
Productive and fun work environment with a great staff
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Buford, GaJuly 14, 2015
I absolutely adore this company. The environment and surrounding corporation is just amazing. The benefits are great as well. The only negative I have to say is that they underpay everyone.
Relaxed work environment with friendly, outspoken employees
Workload/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEJanuary 6, 2016
For the most part I like working at Tilly's because as a workload associate, my manager gives me a lot of freedom to give my own input when performing merchandising tasks. I also liked how the dress code is very relaxed with very few restrictions. I also like the fast-paced environment of the large store and the sense of accomplishment and pride when I completed large or complicated tasks.
Pros
Dress code, friendly associates, relaxed environment
Cons
No commission, lack of professionalism at times, widely accepted laziness from other employees
Very fun place to work at
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Eastvale, CAOctober 6, 2015
A typical day at work was being a sales associate which inquired, greeting customers, leading them to a direction of their wants, cashier, organization. I've learned more about retail industry. Its a great job for a first job for people just starting out. Management was on top of everything making sure their store was in line and as perfect as could be. My co-workers are a pleasure to be working with, very open with schedule substitutions. Hardest part of the job wasn't necessarily hard, just very stressful and alot of work, which was re-organizing the whole store and rearranging it. I loved being around customers and helping directing them to what the want making their day so much easier.
Pros
20% off tilly's stores