Tillys Employee Reviews

Workplace that reflects the lifestyle products being sold
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitehall Township, PAMay 27, 2016
This was the best first job. I have always followed/been a part of the music, art, and action sports cultures, but working at Tilly's has elevated that appreciation and connection so much higher than I could have anticipated. I remained at the same home store long enough to see a few different cycles of management and company policies come and go, and there was not anything particularly horrible that did not get resolved or was removed from the environment. 6 years later and I still go back to visit and shop!
Pros
Fast-paced (due to store volume) which means never a dull moment
Cons
Pay (low) and position advancement (may have had to do with home store/location)
Overall an okay company with great employees
Retail Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAAugust 22, 2016
Typical day at work involves customer servicing, cashiering, sales driving, and workload. I learned selling techniques, how to customer service, and gained cash handling experience. Management at Tillys was great as well as majority of my coworkers. Hardest part is when we get 30+ boxes of shipment and having to finish it when shipment comes late. The most enjoyable part is helping customer find exactly what they need, as well as helping them save money while getting them what they wanted.
Pros
great experiences
Cons
no commission, poor employee benefits
Mit
Training and Development Manager/ MIT (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZSeptember 24, 2016
I was a manager in training for almost a year, I was recruited from a SM position. I would apply for advancement opportunities but was never given the time of day. It appeared to me that the DM was more interested in recruiting to fill management positions rather than to grow and develop key people from with in the district. The moral of the district was very low and people were either complacent or they were just biding time till a better opportunity came along. There weren't really enough developmental procedures in place to help foster personal/professional development and growth.

I had been used to forecasting my sales based off of 4 week trends to run an effective payroll to help with the store budget and at Tillys you were told what your allotted payroll was and were reprimanded if you went under one week and over the next week. It took a lot of the work and education out of being a store manager. If you wanted to promote or give someone a well deserved raise you had to go through two levels of upper management to approve and there was never any education as to why we could or couldn't.

The most enjoyable part was being able to hire and train teammates who I wanted on my team and watch them develop until we couldn't offer them anything further and the saddest part was watching them leave.
Pros
20 percent off clothes
Cons
too many restrictions didn't feel like you were running your own business
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Assistant Manager/In Store Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCOctober 25, 2016
Tillys is an enjoyable place to work. I have worked there for over a year and the atmosphere of the employees makes the workplace exciting. Also, having the ability to make management decisions, such as talent management and corporate communications, has provided me with valuable leadership experience.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, laid back atmosphere
Cons
Benefits and Wage
Tilly's
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 27, 2016
Tilly's was a blast for my first retail job. I remember the days seemed short since we always had fun working. I learned different tasks a lot as I kept moving forward there. The management was nice as I knew many of them throughout the store. There wasn't a hard part of this job for me. The most enjoyable part was the culture of the product.
1-800-Dontdoit
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 28, 2016
This was my first job, so I was naive to start there ignoring all the bad reviews. Trust me, the management sucks- if you aren't a manager or higher up, they don't think you're important. A typical day was chill, but I felt like the sales associates did a lot of work for just minimum wage. Fold, fold, fold, and when you think you're done folding- fold some more. I learned how to work with the register and how to greet well. My co-workers were cool and I had a good relationship with 2 of the like 10 managers. The hardest part of the job was feeling out of place with the uptight managers as well as "recovering" the disastrous stacks of clothes. The best part of the job was meeting nice customers with interesting stories. Again, you'll get paid minimum wage to be treated like a dog.
Cons
minimum wage, inconsiderate management
Not an enjoyable workplace
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Wesley Chapel, FLJune 7, 2016
The managers at Tilly's were very rude and not very welcoming. There was no room for promotion and there was never any praise or encouragement.
Pros
Built customer service skills
Cons
Horrible management and no room for growth in the company
Hit or Miss
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 26, 2016
Tilly's is a really cool company, with a really cool style, but is so hit and miss. For one, you will enjoy your work if you like your coworkers, but there are a lot of managers out there who are just no good. I have had fantastic, super down to Earth managers, and some that were just out to get me. Most of the time, everyone there was really cool, but Tilly's has a huge turnover rate, so no one really sticks around for long. Hardest part is just the long hours of recovery (refolding), that sucks a lot, but the best park is partying with your coworkers when you're done. You don't get any downtime here.
Pros
Cool coworkers, occasional 40% employee discount, style
Cons
Ridiculous managers, poor retail structure
Productive and fun work place
Sales Associate - R.O.P (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAJune 11, 2016
The work days were always exciting and fun. I learned how to properly stock shelves and how to multitask while working under pressure. The management was amazing, they were all incredibly helpful whenever i was confused and had questions. My co-workers were encouraging with all my ideas and they always had a positive attitude. I believe the hardest part of the job was inventory. We had to mark everything and do it a certain way; if it wasn't done correctly we'd have to start over. The most enjoyable part of the job was going on the floor and interacting with different people.
Pros
Fun enviorment
Cons
Short breaks
Work environment depended on the manager's attitude.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAMay 30, 2016
Each day was very competitive and unpredictable.depending on which manager I was working with. I picked up many traits such as learning how to comfortably start conversations with customers, how to use a cash register, and how to work under any condition. My coworkers were very competitive when it came down to sales but for the most part it was fun. For the most part the managers were lenient but some managers had their bad days. The hardest part about the job was trying to work with multiple customers at one time but it started to become easier once I started to get in a rhythm. The most enjoyable part of the job was during the summer and during holiday season because everybody was able to joke around and have fun while selling at the same time.
Fun and hard working environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAAugust 15, 2016
Working with the company for over two years has brought me many memories and so much joy. Working at Tilly's provided me the base training I needed to figure myself out along with my work ethic. My coworkers became my friends and the management team was always finding ways to improve the store, associates and the all around environment.
Pros
Location, environment, plenty of associates to cover shifts
Cons
On and off hours
Energetic place to work with constant changes to in store system.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 29, 2016
A typical day at work includes assisting customers, cashiering, recovering stores appearance and completing shipment. Tilly's does not offer training hours, so everything is learned during first few shifts. I learned how poor time management effects the store as a whole and that working together as a team is more than necessary in order to achieve goals and maintain a successful workplace.
Pros
20% discount, upbeat workplace, keeping up with trends
Cons
Lack of hours
good for high school kids
Retail Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CANovember 7, 2016
not sure if this applies to every tillys but the one i worked at had a horrible management team. would take you off the schedule the same day you were scheduled to come in and not tell you. they would hardly give hours. you get a 20% discount and no comission.
Visual Merchandiser
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 2, 2016
A typical day at work included maintaining window displays, interior point-of-sale displays and clothing racks/ displays. I loved this job because it gave me the ability to express my organizational and styling skills. The management went well due to the amount of disciplined workers in the store, some of which I went to school with at the time. The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely styling the mannequins and the store window. The hardest part of the job was probably leaving due to moving back to NYC! I love visual merchandising and wish to continue my experience in this field.
Pros
Fun & friendly enviroment, some co-workers were also classmates, great area
Great first, seasonal or part time job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLNovember 9, 2016
Relaxed but goal oriented atmosphere and management. great products. Not enough hours as to be expected. great learning experiece and stepping stone for young workers.
Pros
flexible schedule, great atmosphere
Cons
"call in" status, hours
working with retail
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMarch 28, 2016
such a great company to work for great co workers and management. I learned the whole operations of the clothing department. hardest part of the day is not have what someone is looking for the most enjoyable as always going home.
Pros
tasks are easy to understand as, policies, and procedures.
Cons
low compensation, high stress
a busy place with awesome food truck
General Labor (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 4, 2016
this job of mine was only temporary so I don't have a lot of knowledge of tillys but management was kind most of my co workers were kind hearted people
Pros
the food and kind managers
Cons
short breaks, some terrible coworkers
typical retail
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 30, 2016
under paid and micro management, this is a job for a tween not an adult. If you are looking for a job to get you through High school or the first couple years of college than this is it.
Worst place I've ever worked.
Assistant Store Manager of Training & Development (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 8, 2016
The company is very young and does not know how to separate personal and professional life. This is a company that is a starting point for someone very young in the retail business, but is looking to advance. It does not promote growth within the company.
Cons
discount for employees is pathetic
Casual Envoirnment
E-Commerce Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CADecember 14, 2015
I learned to be able to pacify different types of escalated issues. Enjoyed the time spent with my coworkers. The best part of the job was meeting different types of people. The reason why one gets to meet all different types of people is because the company lets go of people constantly in that specific department. Some temps stay temps for more than a year without and there is no chance to advance in the company. Pay is not fair to each employee as some supervisors and or senior reps get paid the same as the new reps that stay in the company. It is a casual environment although with new management things are changing. There are flexible schedules but they are constantly changing. Within 1 year one may have 3-4 different schedules. Therefore, if you would like something really stable, maybe not the best opportunity. If you are looking for advancement, not the best opportunity. If you are just looking for additional experience, I say give it a shot. It is fairly easy to learn the different programs needed, all one has to do is learn time management and be able to speak to customers.
Pros
Casual Envoirnment, 401K, Health Benefits
Cons
Lack of Communication Between Employees and Upper Management, Give the run around on serious issues, etc.

2.9