Tim Hortons

4.5K reviews

Tim Hortons Employee Reviews

Fast pace and fun environment
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Romeo, MISeptember 18, 2014
A typical day at work consist of running around working multiple stations, helping people fix orders, and trying to get the customers out in the required Tim Hortons guidelines. It is a very fast pace job and it is a high stress level. Working here for so long has taught me how to be able to multitask at just about anything, how to handle rude or irate customers, how to problem solve on the spot, that not everyone is going to leave happy even if you try to do everything for them, and you can't take everything that is said to you personally because sometimes people just need to get their frustration out and you become the target. Management has shown me that there is a lot that goes into running a store. It takes a lot to make sure there is proper staffing, the product order is accurate, scheduling has to be done properly to be sure that shifts are not going to be shorthanded for the rushes that will happen just, and people look to you for all the answers on everything. My co-workers are the main reason I want to show up to work every day. They give 110% everyday and do their best to get everything done that needs to be or has to be done during their shifts. Without them my store would completely fall apart and not be able to function. The absolute hardest part of a job is having to talk to an employee about their performance and sometimes it ultimately resulting in having to terminate their employment. It's hard to tell someone that they are not efficient enough to do the job that needs to be done. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the regulars and how happy they  more... are that you already know their order and have it ready before they even get all the way into the restaurant.  less
Pros
flexible work schedule, advancement opportunities, 40 hours
Cons
commute, benefits
Not great for safety, but enjoyable staff.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Marietta, OHApril 25, 2013
It wasn't the best of work places that is for sure, though part of that was local. Our manager never ordered the right amount of stuff and we were constantly running out of things like cups. How can you serve coffee without cups? We ran out of small gloves frequently as well. The people were all nice with exception of the heavy drug use. Most of the employees are clean but we had a few that made me very uncomfortable. I was definitely frustrated that when coming to my manager about the drug selling and using that was going on and that nothing was done. I was told that I could call if I had any other issues and that there was another camera put in, but that was all. The person selling the drugs actually got in a fight with another employee and while the other employee was fired the drug seller was not. I know at least three people came forward with these accusations and no real action was taken. I requested to work with certain (clean) people and I requested to do less hours to accommodate that. They were very good about family problems that needed to be dealt with on short notice. The evening shift was good but a little oddly laid out. Right before I got there the shift changed to ending at 10:00 PM instead of 11 which was frustrating because we closed at 10:00 and being right next to a college we had people in until we closed. Because of this it was often a hassle to clean up at the end of our shift. I always ended up staying late but I got paid to do so. I also always got a full break and a meal with my break. I loved being able to serve the customers coffee though, lots of  more... friendly regulars.  less
Poor Management
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  East Amherst, NYMarch 25, 2013
I would never recommend ANYONE to work for a Tim Hortons. Very unprofessional management. I am a supervisor at Tim Hortons have been there since I was 16, it has been five years that I have worked there and have been a supervisor with them for four years. A co worker of mine verbally harassed me threw text messages, being very disrespectful, calling me names while he was clocked in. My manger said "I don't think what he said was anything bad" my assistant district manager told me "no one is holding a gun to your head honey, you don't have to work here" and my district manger never called me back after I left her me message on her phone. I have called HR at least a dozen times and I have gotten one returned phone call, I was in class so I couldn't answer, I called back the next day and never got another response, so I gave up. It has been over a month now and my manager is JUST starting to talk to me again, everyone acted like I did something wrong, when I was the victim. The only thing that was done was the co worker supposedly got written up, even though according to the handbook, which apparently they don't go by, he should have been terminated. It was in an agreement that we were to not work together but Tim Hortons is supposed to be "team" I don't see any "team" in what happened in my situation. Also this co worker that texted me is engaged to another supervisor that works at my store, which is also stated in the handbook that this is forbidden.
Pros
good with working with college schedules
Cons
you don't get a break at my store unless you work 7 or more hours.
Productive and Fun workplace enviroment
Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYDecember 22, 2014
A typical day would include waiting on customers, addressing there needs, making sure there orders were filled promptly and correctly, stocking cups/lids, sugars/creamers, napkins, silverware. Also I would rotate, stock and label food. Some other things I would do is sweep, mop, clean tables, chairs and the bathrooms. I would learn how to do things differently to get them done in a timely matter, how to address certain customer concerns and needs so that they were handled properly. Management was very helpful when needed assistance with something and had made sure that all co-workers were doing what they were suppose to and that customers were being waited on promptly and treated nicely. The co-workers would all work together as a team filling customers orders, making the food they ordered correctly, and serving it to them. The hardest part of the job would be when a customer complained and wasn't happy or satisfied with a order they received due to the fact that it was made wrong or that it was someone else's order. The most enjoyable part was when I would be able to make a customer happy about the food they received, that it was made correctly, fresh for them. Also knowing that we had done our best to make them satisfied and wanting to come back for more.
Pros
discounted food while working, free hot drinks while working and 30min breaks
Cons
no health care, no paid vacations
If you enjoy being abused -apply now!
Baker/ Slave (Former Employee) –  Troy, MiJuly 29, 2012
I worked for a Tim Hortons for about 1 year. I was 1 of 3 bakers that were hired on for the opening of a brand new store. On my 3rd day of training, I was informed that the other 2 bakers had decided they did not want to return. I worked hectic hours as the only baker. The owner did not seem to appreciate my dedication to her or to her business ( I have owned my own business, and know that good, dependable, honest employees are hard to find) I could see she was stressed out so I did not mention anything about the promise she made to me (that if i agreed to start at min wage, she would evaluate my performance and give me a generous raise in 2 weeks) I did get a raise, after 4 moths (whopping 10 cents)- I made a deal with myself, I would hang in there for 1 year (give her a little time to adjust as a business owner) but if my treatment as an employee and as a human did not improve I was out- Needless to say, the day management informed me that the "hush hush" rule on tips was changing, instead of management turning their heads when we recv'd tips, they now wanted us to turn in all the tips at the end of our shifts (we are not even supposed to accept ANY tips from customers per T.H. corp policy's) so they (owners) could keep them! - I decided I was out! as were some of the other employees- We did a little math, and after averaging the amount of our tips we were losing around 1,680 a year!
Pros
customers!
Cons
the negative management :(
Productive and fun place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  603 Davenport Rd.September 5, 2013
A typical day a work starts with me scanning the the store, inside and outside, for various issues such as seeing if the washrooms are clean, garbage is not overflowing etc. Once I have assigned tasks for various duties I then float the registers from the previous day and then do the cash balance sheet. Once that is done I head into the storefront area and assist the workers with the various tasks that need to be done. For example serving customers, assisting soup and sandwich or helping with one of the secondary duties such as stocking the fridges. My day ends with me floating the registers that from my shift for the next day.

Throughout my time at this job I have learned many valuable skills such as providing excellent customer service, leadership, time management, and the ability to work under pressure.

The management team that I worked with proved to be incredibly helpful and supportive in my growth, personally and professionally. They supported me by being available to answer any questions and also challenged me to strive to be better and more efficient.

The hardest part of the job was knowing not everything could be done perfectly. There is always something more that could be done, or should have been done.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with a great team that can communicate, and are constantly willing to learn.
My time at Tim Hortons
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brighton, MIFebruary 28, 2013
The day starts at 6:00am for the early morning work rush. I am either working in the store front ( i.e. making breakfast sandwiches, working the drive thru...) or I am in the back baking the merchindise for the customers to purchase (i.e. donuts, bagels, muffins...). The rush comes around 7:00-7:15am give or take a few minutes and this is also when hell usually breaks loose. My manager is normally working a very simple job which she eventually stops doing to go do god knows what in the office during our " Speed of Service". Our "SOS" is the period in the morning where our drive-thru times are most important. This is all hands on deck kind of situition every morning. No one...and i repeat NO ONE is supposed to leave their given station during this time frame unless leaving involves stocking said stations with product. After my manager leaves during speed of service, one of us, the grunts as i like to call us, must fill in the spot so that our times are not affected. this is an every other day thing that happens. Now i don't really like complaining or whining about my job or personal life at that matter. I see myself as a happy-go-lucky kind of guy who knows when its time to be serious and when its time to have fun, but if there is one thing that Tim Hortons has taught me, it is how to handle stress in the work place and with dealing with customers.
Pros
fun co-workers
Cons
bad mangement
productive and fast environment
Front counter (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 13, 2015
I work overnights so typically I will come into the store and start stocking front counter. I grab a headset for drive thru window so that the customers can be taken care of. On overnights I clean the store from top to bottom, sweeping-mopping-wiping down walls-preparing food for the morning shift. I am multitasking throughout the night between cleaning, stocking, and taking customers orders. I have learned to have a lot of patience when dealing with upset customers, and how to manage a drawer correctly-giving out correct change. To be honest, management could use improvement. There are few accommodations available to employees when there are emergencies or when you have to take time off. I also feel that the management could use better ways to communicate with their employees. There should not be favoritism within the establishment as well. My co workers, in my opinion, lack the ability to work as a team. Most are young and do not wish to work for their wages. The hardest part of the job for me was bagel station, where all the food is prepared. I did however get the hang of things, all i needed was persistence. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the customers and seeing their satisfaction with their service.
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
no direct deposit, unstable hours
Fast Paced and Fun Work Environment
Sales Associate & Baker (Former Employee) –  Smithers, BCMay 29, 2015
A typical day at work would go by extremely fast. Got to get to know a good group of regular customers and know many different customers from various walks of life. Was a fast paced but fun work environment.

I learned a lot about the importance of timing tasks and routine as well as working with others as a team. Once you had the tasks well memorized you could work on doing tasks faster which while working as a team felt like being a part of a well oiled machine. It was challenging but a lot of fun when you had a great team to work with.

Management was the most enjoyable to work with. Very personable, understanding and always strived to challenge workers to do the best they could. They did an excellent job at making such a stressful job a lot of fun.

Co-workers were from various backgrounds and for the majority of the time a joy to work with.

The hardest part of the job was the fast paced environment, it was an awesome challenge but also very stressful.

The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to see yourself improve your times on making drinks, making your customers happy with fast and effective service and getting to know people from all kinds of backgrounds. It was a lot of fun to be busy and have the work day go by so fast.
Ok job for teenagers in highschool, not for making a living.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  DeWitt, MIApril 18, 2015
Management at my Tim Hortons was horrible! I'm not saying this is a company wide thing, because I've heard of some owners treating their coworkers pretty well at some stores. But the same cant be said of the people who own the Tim Hortons in Dewitt, MI.

They treat their workers like slaves, paying barely minimum wage, and disrespecting them in front of customers! I actually had a manager throw stuff at me one time because too many muffins got made on accident, and had seen this same manager throw things at other employees out of anger.

They don't offer benefits, so don't expect to get more than 30 hours a week because of Obama Care because they are too cheap to supply insurance for their employees.

As a supervisor, I made 8.00 per hour, while the people I supervised made 7.40 per hour.

We were expected to give superb job performance for poor treatment and pay. Any little mistake that was made, we were made to feel like failures for. I went home crying more than once.

The people I worked with at the location i was employed at were for the most part, pretty great, management, not so much.
Pros
it's a job. Customers in Dewitt, are actually pretty awesome.
Cons
no benefits, hard labor, management at my location was horrible.
Looking for room to grow.
Crew member (Former Employee) –  7th North Street, Liverpool, NYJanuary 3, 2013
Started as a Crew member, was transferred to 2nd shift as a supervisor, promised $8.00 an hour , only truly received a $.25 raise, with lots of responsibility, but was not allowed to tell employees I had received a promotion. Trained five 2nd shift employees. was asked to move back to first shift, to replace a person who was not reliable. I was also offered a position as a Catering Assistant. I was allowed to do three catering events, preparing food, delivering food, set up food. Then was told that the catering abruptly ended. Was promised other promotions, but again was not allowed to tell anyone I was promoted, cause it might upset others that I was chosen. After one year of service, I decided I was not getting what was promised, and they were just leading me to believe that I was moving up , only so I wouldn't leave. At one point because of the low pay, I also obtained a part-time job, which in no way conflicted with my job there. They told me I have to quit the other job to prove my loyalty to them, then I would get to move to Assistant Manager. So, I left the other job temporarily. They did not give me the promotion as promised, so I left to work for another company.
Pros
co-workers, and customers were awesome. i still miss them all today.
Cons
everything
Upbeat, Fast-Paced, Friendly, Informational
Barista/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Charter Township of Clinton, MIJanuary 5, 2014
A typical day at work would include preparation of food and displays, rotation of products to ensure high quality, cash management, handle cash and credit transactions, basic and heavy cleaning, and upselling.
Having worked for this company almost two years, I've better enhanced my customer service skills and knowledge of not just Tim Hortons products, but a wide variety of coffee products and procedures. I've learned to be more social and to communicate in a professional manner.
Management and Co-Workers have always been pleasant to work with.
The hardest part of this job is handling customer complaints because you never know what kind of reaction to expect. It's taught me patience and compansion.
The most enjoyable part of my job definitely is helping regular and new customers, recommending new products similar to products I know they already love, and being appreciated for my help and knowledge of company policies procedures and all products.
Being the first person in the morning to put a smile on someones face gives me pride that the work I do is making a difference in my community.
Pros
free food, flexible scheduling
Cons
little to no breaks, no benefits, location
Not a good place to work
Front Line (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIDecember 16, 2014
Loved the job itself and the customers were awesome, but it was the attitude of the owner that created a problem. She would not give raises and you had better not get into overtime at all or there would ... to pay. She nitpicked at everything anyone did and never praised you. As a person and not an owner she is really nice. She made us use the same throw a way cloths from the day the store opened and was still using them when I quit. (eleven months there) There were several things she enforced that I am sure she would get fined for if she was caught. I did my best to just deal as I loved my job for the most part, but I finally had it one day and just looked her in the face and said I have had enough, I quit. She lost several employee's from all three stores. We had a pretty decent crew altogether. I enjoyed working with most of them. A typical day was total chaos, loved it.
Pros
50% off our lunch when we were able to take one, quite busy. my customers.
Cons
no raises, no time and a half for holidays, no praises ever, we had a contest between the 3 stores, we won but never received the prize which was a pizza day at the park, took weeks to get any uniforms out of her.
A happy environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHJanuary 16, 2013
Speedway was a workplace that kept me moving on a daily basis. The hours I worked was a mixture of first, second, and third shifts. I would come to work at 6 am and train employees to meet the necessary job requirements to obtain employment with Speedway. I counted inventory and ordered stock, bank runs, measurements of gas, data entry, etc. I was able to grow with this company and customer satisfaction was a big plus in my book. The co- workers that I trained were young kids looking for employment while on summer vacation and my skills and knowledge was passed to them. The hardest part of the job was covering multiple shifts in a row and all the people that would drive off with out paying for their gas. The most enjoyable part about being an assistant manager as any challenge that came my way was done. Customers were my top priority and the employees came after that. I was able to put smile on faces whether they were young or old. The police dept. always came to keep me company while I worked third shift. If I was offered a job and the work place is like this, I would love to work for them and become a long time employee.
Fast pace, very busy work place.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Clio, MINovember 28, 2012
A typical day at Tim Hortons would be coming in around 2 PM, once punched in starting daily chores such as sweeping and moping the building, doing dishes, stocking the cups, coffee, hot coco mixes and such, bake, sweeping parking lot, changing all trashes, inside and out. Through out the day, I'd answer drive thru, and if we had customers come in I would also tend to the register up front. I cooked sandwhichs and made soups and oatmeals as well. Counted my till at the end of the day, making sure the money I collected is accounted for. My co-workers were very rude, to be honest. I didn't like the people that I worked with, but I did what I had to and didn't let it bother me too much. Management there was ran kind of weird. Mangement didn't do much of anything, and wasn't really much help. I feel like the mangement at Tim Hortons didn't really get to know their workers too well. The hardest part of my job was memorizing all of the drinks we were required to know. After the first week or so, I got the hang of it though. The most enjoyable part of my job was making doughnuts. I really liked baking.
Pros
free food and drinks.
Cons
very little hours.
This was a face paced wok environment where i had to provide excellent customer service everyday, This was a friendly and goal oriented place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIOctober 28, 2012
A typical day at work i came into work counted out my register to ensure that it was accurate, i then proceeded to the drive-thru area to assist a co worker that were to be relieved of their shift. i went into the kitchen area and i prepared all the baked goods for the day and i kept up with the production of everything. i trained any new employees if there were any or i'd assist any employees in the store with any problem or tasks that they were to complete I would keep the store front and the the back of the store clean and sanitized. I would fill any necessary products i they were low. The management that i worked with were awesome at their clear and direct directions if i were unsure of anything. All of the co workers i were employed with were great team mates and we were like family.
Pros
1. meeting new customers everyday, 2. working with my co-workers, 3. providing customer satisfaction, 4. having a constant work flow
Cons
1. i did not have any complaints or disagreements about this employer.
Fast paced coffee culture
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, New YorkJanuary 2, 2015
During the day you would be working on a timer to make sure the cars got through at a certain time and that way the drive thru was working efficiently. Many of the tasks were simple, just pressing buttons or grabbing something and placing it in a box or bag.
I learned a lot about different drinks, food, and customers/ people in general. Pleasing everyone is not easy, and there are always going to be people who are not happy. I learned no matter what, I have to be positive and polite.
The management was okay, they did not like to listen to the workers, and did not treat them fairly. They were friendly, and sometimes did give free food/drinks if workers were on time, and had good drive thru times.
Co-workers were friendly and most excited to be together.
The hardest part was being short staffed on some days and not being able to perform normally.
The most enjoyable was being in a generally friendly environment and you got to know customers and their order and make it more personable.
Pros
working in a fast paced environment
Cons
management did not always listen to workers.
Fun, fast paced job, with a family like atmosphere.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 1, 2015
I really enjoy working at Tim Horton's. I usually go in around 6 or 7. Working at Tim Horton's, employees must be trained in all areas of the job. My tasks change every day. I could be the one making coffees, or taking orders, making the food, baking, working drive through, and/or working the cash register. The job we are on changes daily. I absolutely love my managers. They really work with me and are flexible with time requested off, and they do their best to see that the employees are happy. My co-workers are also wonderful. We understand that team work is very important, and we are always there to help each other and work together to make our guests happy. I'd have to say the hardest part of the job, at first, was learning to multi-task, but I was able to learn and grow from it. The most enjoyable part of working at Tim Horton's, is the people I work with. It is like a little family, and it's a place where I can go to work, but also know that I will have fun.
Pros
Free coffee and beverages, half off food.
Cons
Short breaks, sometimes having to work over-night. Not enough pay.
The owner is amazing to work with!
Hospitality Coach (Former Employee) –  Fredonia, NYFebruary 5, 2013
Tim Horton's taught me many things, but I realized just how much work goes into making people's day start and end perfectly with a perfectly brewed cup of coffee or whatever else they might need. The workers in Tim Horton's work so hard...but are appreciated. The management does a fantastic job of both motivating the staff and helping whenever needed. They are never lazy. Getting into management is not hard, it just takes hard work and some intelligence. The owners in the Fredonia / Dunkirk area are amazing to work for. They are caring, compassionate, and committed to fulfilling both their customers needs as well as their employee's needs. The owners will step in and help when things get swamped and take personal time to make sure every employee gets as much out of working for them as possible. Tim Horton's will teach anyone the skills of time management and also how to prove the best customer experience possible.
Pros
everyone who works and eats/drinks there
Cons
the grueling fast paced work
open-spaced,fair temperature
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Depew, NYMarch 27, 2013
Mostly,the first thing I would do when walking into Tim Hortons is punch in. I would greet my one or two fellow employees which makes the vibe feel warmer. I follow the safety guidelines and wash my hands, so I can prevent germs from going around. Coming a few minutes early to work,I would go in the break room and wait till my shift starts and get ready to work. Tim Hortons is about the customers that come in to get served in the right manner. I would right away go in the store front and help a customer out. Mornings are pretty busy because people do care for coffee in the morning and a donut on the side.Working together is important beacause if the volume is high, I can almost always depend on someone to give me a helping hand at the cash register. Working with my co-workers is ordinary and try to be myself around them and have fun.The difficult part of this job was really nothing at all.The most enjoyable part of the job was pouring coffee all day and serve donuts.
Pros
good coffee
Cons
nothing