Timberlawn Mental Health System Employee Reviews

Beware!
Charge Nurse/Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 26, 2017
A typical day starts with first being understaffed. They NEVER have enough staff! You are then bombarded with nothing but paperwork. Your entire shift is constant writing because they do not have electronic medical records. The patients are allowed to do whatever they want and management will tell you to let them do what they want. There is NO support from administration and the rules are ever changing. There are a few people that have been there for years and they do nothing but cause trouble for new staff (backstabbing, two-faced, manipulative individuals). There is also favoritism and certain supervisors are allowed to do nothing and get away with it. The health insurance is pretty good, but that's the only thing they have to offer. If you decide to work there (please, don't!), Once your shift is complete, you are so tired and they will call you constantly to come in on your off days. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT take the sign on bonus because you will not stay and they will want you to pay it back. Oh, I forgot! Their differentials suck! If you work nights and it's the weekend, they will only pay you the weekend differential, not the night differential. Who does that???
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Low pay, Poor management, No support, Too much paperwork, Lack of structure
hard work but rewarding
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 25, 2016
You work hard but you are compensated. The patients are kind and you feel you help them. Different everyday and you learn a lot of things. People worked togeter
Pros
good compensation
Cons
fast paced
Horribly mismanaged. Run dont walk away
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXFebruary 16, 2016
you work at a very fast pace from moment you arrive. No time for breaks or lunch. Its all about making money for the company. If they dont need help but have money then they get help. If insurance isnt good they turn patients down regardless of how acute the problem is. Unethical!! Management all all UHS facilities is horrible
Pros
co-workers are dedicated
Cons
unethical, stressful, treat patients badly
no job security
office support (Former Employee) –  timberlawnJanuary 5, 2015
Very unprofessional and untruthful. A place thats supposed to help people but treat their employees awful. This was truly the worse place i have ever worked for very sad because the job itself was ok. It was the management and higher ups that made it impossible i feared for my job security all the time.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
everything else
Friendly, Unorganized work enviornment
Staff Nurse (RN) PRN (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TexasMay 27, 2014
A tipical day at work envolves lots of paper work, double checking charts and orders made during the day. I've learned more about psychatic patients and medications as well as how to be over a unit when you are understaffed. My co-workers are great for the most part. I do hear them often complaining about each other but you find that every where. I have not had any bad encounters with any one however. The hardest part of my job would be trying to get all of my paper work done at night time and still make sure all of my patients are well take care of. To further explain I frequently stop what I'm doing to tend to my paitents as and nurse should and some days paper work gets put on the back burner. The most enjoyable part of my job would be getting to know my patients and helping them the best way I can.
Pros
Flexable Schedule, Friendly co-workers
Cons
Unorganized, All paper charting, staffing, not alot of training
Opportunities available for advancement
Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 13, 2014
Consistent work opportunities with diverse clientele to implement various techniques and skills learned. Environment with co-workers can sometimes become tense with social differences that can interrupt the effectiveness as a team. The most enjoyable part of the job can be client interaction or interacting with staff to help treat a client.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Hospital Politics
Poor
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 5, 2014
Was retaliated by DON for mentioning contacting the State of Texas regarding my concerns regarding patient and staff safety.
It was a great place to work and get a true experience of working with psychiatric patients.
Unit Therapist/Treatment Planning Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 29, 2013
A typical day at work started with facilitating a group, charting about the group in each patients chart(remember it was the 90's) and facilitation of other various groups. I also would carry a small caseload of patients that I did individual counseling with. I learned a great deal about treating truely mentally ill patients, discharge planning and teaching coping skills in order to be better functioning. My co-workers were extremely supportive and allowed a new grad school graduate to access their vast knowledge and experience in this arena. The hardest part of the job was seeing the patients repeat visits to the facility, although it is a part of the culture in psych, it is nonetheless hard to see. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a patient really get a concept and move toward understanding and ultimately change, that's always the best part!
Hard work , little pay
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 10, 2013
The job requires physical and mental strength as they both will be tested. The nursing staff dont feel as they have to help with anything other than meds, even when there is an out of control patient. However I enjoyed working with the children most of the time.
Cons
OFTEN NO BREAKS, AND THEN THEY WANT TO WRITE YOU UP
Crisis mobile counselor job
Mobile crisis counselor (Former Employee) –  Timberlawn hospitalMay 14, 2013
Wow--I thought this would be a good addition to my current retirement venture, boy was I wrong. Poor management, horrid system full of papers and systems that are out of date. Still trying to get paid for work I did last month. I am done!
Bad Career
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 11, 2012
This is the worst place to work, dont get hurt on the job and have to be off work, they will fire you for no reason.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Timberlawn Mental Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

2.2