Times Union Employee Reviews

customer service rep
CSR (Current Employee) –  Colonie, NYJanuary 16, 2017
enjoyed working for them great people to work with. i diffidently learned how to deal better with difficult people .working for this company is like having a little extended family.
Productive and hard work
Mailroom (Current Employee) –  Colonie, NYJuly 17, 2016
Part-time until 10 years, benefits (Medical, Dental and 401k). Its a great job with flexible hours. In a typical day you are assigned to a certain machine and feed machine with paper inserts, we hand insert advertisements, stack bundles of paper and load trucks. There are 3 different shift available: Day, mid-shift and night.
Pros
Benifits, flexible hours
Cons
Part-Time
I like the easy going atmosphere of a gift shop and enjoy helping customers.
Advertising Customer Service/Ad Trafficking (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 6, 2016
Usually when I go in to work, I check to see what needs to be tended to first. Either with my co-workers or the customers, then see what needs to be restocked on the floor and check to see what items may be running low or need to be ordered

I've learned how to do floor design when getting in new merchandise.
Setting up the merchandise around the store, where it catches the eye of the customer and is inviting to come in and look around.

The co-workers are great. I work with volunteers, and everyone is very helpful and have fun personalities.

The hardest part of the job is when a lot of new merchandise comes in at one time, and with my limited hourly schedule, cannot get it all done in one day.

The most enjoyable part of my job is that I love the Gift Shop Feel.
When a customer comes in I feel I can be helpful to them in finding what they are looking for.
Pros
working with the people that I do and the job itself.
Cons
I only work 18 hours a week, so working more hours and having benefits would be good.
it was a contract `
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Warsaw, INMarch 21, 2016
I delivered newspapers to peoples homes and I was my own boss.
I did as I wanted and was able to work at my own pace. It was a dangerous route but never had any issues till one day I was done with my route and was almost home and was in a major car accident which is why I no longer work there
Pros
my own boss
Cons
dangerous
It is a nice place to work, Awsome
Single Copy Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 1, 2016
The most enjoyable of the job is that you are off work by the time everyone else are on their way to work. I have to be to work about 1:00 am in the morning and I am back at home around 7:00 if nothing goes wrong with my people or customers.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Have to be to work early
not at all
Electrician (Former Employee) –  the arena.April 8, 2016
employees makes this place not very job friendly, However can be corrected ... had a very difficult time trying to do my job. Management hand were tied because of the Union employees.
Pros
Nice shows
Cons
unfriendly, and disrespectful employees
Great work environment
Customer Service Paper Courier (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 21, 2015
Working at Florida Times-Union can be a challenge due to the fact that it is seven days a week. No matter the the weather the papers had to be delivered promptly and dry. It is a good company to work for but as a courier you were a contractor. Unfortunately, newspapers are becoming extinct due to advances in technology. The amount of subscribers have fallen off over the years making the pay dwindle. The company is trying to compensate by adding additional products. Time management and perseverance are two things I learned in my time here.
Pros
Great company, customers, and flexibility.
Cons
No matter the weather the paper still must be delivered.
no days off, very early morning hours
Paper Courier (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYDecember 24, 2014
Delivering papers is very easy although work is between the hours of 3am and 6am six days a week and 2am to 9am on Sunday. Also papers have to be delivered 365 days a week which means there are no days off. Finding a substitute is extremely difficult and usually requires paying more than the route's pay for the substitute to cover the route.
Pros
easy work and short "shift"
Cons
no days off, ever. hard to find people to cover your route if you do need time off
Fun & Exciting Workplace
Courier/Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 18, 2014
Working at the Florida Times Union is a lot of fun. A typical day consist of arriving at work at 1:30 in the morning ready to get the day started. I am required to insert, and bag the daily newspaper in order to deliver the papers to my customers. Management can sometimes be funny, and frustrating due to a lack of organization, but over all a great bunch of people. My co-workers are interesting, and a lot of fun as well. The most enjoyable part of this job is the relationships built with my customers. The hardest part of this job is it is 7 days a week rain, or shine. There are no off days, and I am required to show up despite physical state.
productive and nice easy going place to work
picker packer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 22, 2014
picking and packing customer's order I learned how to scan and pack clothes, shoes, and jewelry the proper way. my managers was good and very supportive when something was wrong. my co workers was nice fun and very easy to get along with they helped show other co workers where items was located. the hardest part of the job was walking a metal grading for 8 hours at a time but with comfortable shoes it was easy going
Very productive company that pays well
Pressroom Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 29, 2014
A typical day would start at night. I would lay out the nightly work and assign crews to various presses. I would communicate effectively with management about any changes, problems or unexpected press runs. I enjoyed working with my co-workers as they became like family. The hardest part of my job was being away from my family at night, holidays, weekends. I most enjoyed the sense of accomplishment I got from finishing a hard days work and meeting expectations and goals.
Pros
vaction weeks and pay rate
Cons
nights and weekends
To secure a challenging position that will provide the opportunity for growth and professional development
Mail Room Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 20, 2014
• Working in a high-speed manufacturing environment
• Responsible for working with racking system loading/unloading palettes via jack
• Perform various organizing duties as assigned
• Maintain all safety standards
• Operate all manufacturing equipment efficiently and safely
• Ensure package and product quality
• Operate and monitor line, removing or shifting , materials and/or finished paper as necessary to facilitate proper flow and machine operation
Pros
Team Player
Cons
n/a
I am a people person and loved all working for the Florida Times Union
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 11, 2012
come in at 6.00am collect calls that had been
left overnight. Return calls while answering
incoming calls. My co-workers were all easy
to get along with and helpful. The hardest part
of my job was trying to get everything done
reports etc in a timely manner.The most enjoyable
part of my job were meeting the different people.
Some old customers would sometimes just drop
by for a chat.
Pros
after working 7 years you got 4 weeks vacation time
Cons
trying to make everyone do their fair share of the workload
A Job Where You Learn Something New Everyday
Military Publications Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 2, 2014
A typical work day would be calling on existing customers, prospecting for new customers, customer service, scheduling and proof ads, goal attainment.
I have learned to be a team player, organization, follow-through, problem solving and relationship building
My current Publisher is the best...supportive, insightful and dedicated to Military Publications
My co-workers and I work as a team to obtain goals and find solutions for our customers
Customers would do not follow deadlines established
Customers who I have worked with for years and the relationships I have with them and the news customers that my relationship is just beginning
Pros
The opportunity to help my customers' businesses grow
easy workplace.
Supervisor/delivery (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 26, 2015
had fun while i was there, i soon came into a car wreck that took me away from this position. i soon got on with fedEx. after my wreck and 2 years of fedex, i was hoping to find something a little more normal paced of hours and a better pay.
Pros
work hard
ok to work for but no weekends off
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 14, 2013
News paper delivery has become very multitasking routes are very long and don't pay as well. weekends are full time jobs with no time off, good people to work with over all and management is ok. The hardest part is keeping up with car maintenance and keeping up with customers that start, stop and product changes. most enjoyable part is early morning when no one is out and time for yourself.
The leading provider of print and online services in the Capital District.
Media Consultant (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 21, 2014
The Times Union provides business owners with the opportunity to grow their business; they offer a variety of quality products and services both in print and online.

The Hearst corporation offers the most up-to-date digital products available which enable a business owner to reach and interact with today's customer.
Excellent
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 7, 2013
Learned everything. Customer Service. Sales. Data Entry. Payment processing.

Well trained management.

Positive, sales oriented and competive describe my coworkers

working 7 days a week.

Company fund raisers. contests Spelling Bee, Training programs.
Pros
Working with external and internal customers
Cons
Demanding. Require flexibility and consistent education
Doing more with less
Staff Photographer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 29, 2012
Like all newspapers, lack of advertising has reduced revenue, and benefits for employees. Staff photographer was a great job in it's time, but not like everything else cutbacks of people and benefits make it difficult to have the fun you used to have.
Pros
get your newspaper at half price
Cons
no 401k anymore, pay cuts with no future of raise, fewer people to do more, with less.
Great place to be if your not a traveler
Self Employed Newsdealer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 7, 2013
My Husband and I ran this commercial route for many years, at times I would hold other jobs while he continued the route. We had employees that worked for us 5 days a week, we trained them, had to keep account of all accts, bill them, collect, deliver product daily and pay our wholesale bill once a week.
Pros
Your own boss
Cons
work 7 days a week

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Times Union. Our community is ready to answer.