Timken Employee Reviews in United States

Timken pays their employees very well.
Claims Analyst (Former Employee) –  North Canton, OHJuly 11, 2016
At the Timken Company it all depends on your manager. If your manager is open minded and works with you, your life can be very good. You do your job and mind your own business is the best way to get through a hard working day. Not all people do that however and that goes for everywhere. Not just at the Timken Company. Somehow, though, if a person is a threat to sue the company, they seem to be the people who are safe, because this company is afraid of law suits.

They do give you the opportunity to learn as much as you want. I have learned a lot at The Timken Company. They encourage it. They also have a good international group. They encourage their employees to learn about different cultures. This company also pays their employees very well. If the company does well the bonuses are very good.

I have made some good friends here, however, as in every company, there are trouble makers. A person will never get away from that, because every company has these kinds of people.

We were to do more with less and less and less. It was almost like we were being set up to fail. Except I really don't think they wanted us to fail. I think they just didn't understand what our jobs entailed and they want to save money for the shareholders, so they keep getting rid of people and sending our jobs to India. This way they can pay them much less and save the company money.

The Timken Company used to be a company for the community. It is no longer the same company. Ever since the split of the Steel from the Bearings that was the end of that. Not having an actual Timken in the company,
  more... the caring for the employees part has totally changed. I had never felt my job was safe and always felt anxiety I was going to lose my job at any time. When one day it WAS my turn to get called in to be laid off.

I loved my job. I loved what I did and wished I hadn't been laid off and would go back if I was called back. I keep hoping the company will go back to what it was before. There are some challenges there, but all in all, it is a good place to work. Again, depending on your manager and I had the best manager!
Pros
Salary is excellent
Cons
no job security
Busy But Fun
Order Entry (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHJune 29, 2016
Some 20+ years ago, I received a job through a temp agency working at Timken in order entry. I thoroughly enjoyed this position not only because of the people I worked with but also the Management. They were so understanding and professional. I then got promoted to Cust Serv Rep. So in addition to order entry, I got to assist customers in quoting prices, problem resolution, billing issues, etc. I enjoyed this as well because of the relationships I developed with my customer base but also because I got to work with so many other employees in other departments. The pay and benefits were terrific! Honestly I wish I was still employed at Timken. The only negative about employment at Timken is you have to pass a series of tests before you can be hired. Since I did not have any typing skills I could not pass that portion of the test.
Pros
Co-Workers; Management; Room for Advancement
Cons
Tests to Get Hired; Some Overtime
World Leader
Grind Tech (Current Employee) –  Rutherfordton, NCJune 26, 2016
A global leader in top quality bearing manufacturing.
Consistent 8 hour work days with OT as required.
Learned about Lean Manufacturing / 5S.
Disappointing Leadership
Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, CTJune 20, 2016
Worst job experience in my 35 years of management within manufacturing corporations. Disconnected and ineffective corporate management. Ironically, although Timken touts itself as an ethical company, I felt compelled to leave the company because the environment constantly challenged and penalized me for my ethics.
Pros
Great hourly work force.
Cons
Hostile mangement.
this company had a mass layoff no more work
RETURN MATERIAL PROCESSOR I (Former Employee) –  Bucyrus, OHJune 19, 2016
great unemployment pkg with layoff, I would have retired from this employer however suffered a mass lay off during recession. Great hours good training program and good culture
Pros
pay
Cons
lay off
Positive work environment
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Asheboro, NCJune 14, 2016
I enjoyed working at Timken. I feel they treated all employees fair to the best of their ability. My coworkers were friendly and always willing to assist me whenever necessary as well as my supervisors and management.
Pros
Great working environment, great staff, great management
Cons
Swing shift..2 weeks days and then 2 weeks nights. Hard to adjust with a family
Productive place to work with a family atmosphere
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Union, SCJune 7, 2016
A typical day at Timken included meeting daily production goals in a manufacturing facility through various departments using precision measuring equipment, CNC machinery, heat treatment, and grinding equipment. I learned to set up, operate, and troubleshoot grinding machines for the manufacture of bearing components. Management and production associates ensured that the departments were safe, and orderly through lean practices. The hardest part of the job could be troubleshooting a machine or trying to meet an expedite deadline, but the most enjoyable part of the job is the pride in knowing that the parts you have produced has been installed in a bridge, airplane, construction equipment or other manufacturing equipment.
Great Opportunities to Grow and travel
Materials Manager (Current Employee) –  Keene, NHJune 7, 2016
Challenging global manufacturing company that is dedicated to making local for local. Lots of opportunities to explore new products and locations around the world.
Good place to work.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pulaski, TNMay 26, 2016
I learned that when you treat people with respect, they are much more productive people. The hardest part of job, was the stress that comes from being a front line supervisor.
managment
Auditor (Current Employee) –  Duncan, SCMay 24, 2016
Run the company during night shift make sure everybody is doing what there supposed to office and computer work put in everybodys hours fix problems people may run in to
Pros
hours
Cons
did not like place
Shift Distribution Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Duncan, SCMay 18, 2016
I have learned many great things while working at Timken. I have been able to experience and learn many different roles.
No longer applicable for this location
Process Analyst / Team Improvement Leader (Current Employee) –  Altavista, VAMay 5, 2016
Great run at this location, they say all things must come to a end. Good place to work while it lasted, the associates are off the hook productive with manufacturing and maintenance skills that any employer will be delighted to get. A resume from an associate that was / is employed with TIMKEN is worth a triple take, you can't go wrong.
Pros
Great associate knowledge
Cons
Plant closing
Good place to work and nice people.
Packer (Current Employee) –  Duncan, SCMay 3, 2016
A typical day begins at 5:00am and ends at 3:00pm. We pack bearings all day. Co-workers are wonderful. The hardest part of the job is lifting heavy bearings. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing all the places we send the bearings to - all over the world.
Pros
Enjoy my job a lot.
Cons
Don't like working 10 hoursa day.
Challenging and enjoyable
Customer Relations Management (Current Employee) –  North Canton, OHApril 27, 2016
Contingent employee with limited experience who did not wish to rate this company at this time. This should be an optional exercise
I didn't like the job
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Honea Path, SCApril 20, 2016
They really didn't have nothing for me to do. When did find something for me to do it was boring. I love my co-workers they were nice people.
the people that work here are fun and nice, however management is lacking.
Machine setter (Former Employee) –  Honea Path, SCApril 20, 2016
a typical day at work can go by rather easy or can be stressful depending on the work load expected for the day. I learned how to set up machines and to be patient when things don't go the way i planned for them to. The management are good guys, but the way they handled certain things, did not make sense to me along with a lot of my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was trying to get the parts within the desired specifications they needed to be. The most enjoyable part was knowing that I could complete my job no matter what problems I faced.
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
working a lot of weekends
a
LARGE INDUSTRIAL GRINDER (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHApril 18, 2016
a group of people , working together , can conquer all. a mixture of gender is nice. i found that if you give of yourself youll be rewarded ten fold. in general, keeping your responsibilites at check makes the environment good.
Pros
pizza
Cons
conversations lead to wasted time
My years at Timken, Business Service Specialist, Purchasing Order Fulfillment Technician
Business Service Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHApril 9, 2016
I enjoyed working at Timken. I entered with no office experience or skills. The amount of knowledge I obtained throughout the years is unsurmountable in value. This was hands on learning every day, real life, that I will say was more valuable than a four year degree college program. I learned office etiquette and working with co-workers, along with direct contact with suppliers. Working with our Accounting Department, based in India, was a challenge, but also rewarding, assisting them in Invoice Corrections, Supplier Source Records and directing them in correcting improper payments that were improperly received on a purchase order. I also learned to be a direct contact for suppliers in US and Abroad/Overseas in assisting them on payment issues, and product delivery times. Knowledge learned were computer systems, six legacy systems while learning a companywide SAP system that united this company, ultimately replacing older legacy systems. A typical day started at the gate, and continued throughout the day. Hundreds of emails and phone calls throughout the day. Saying that, I held many positions and hats with responsibilities: briefly explained in my resume. Juggling many tasks, I learned to rely on my knowledge on which task took precedence over another. Organizational and communicational skills were extremely important. I learned that this not only helped myself in making my job easier, but it was a must. Without this skill, productivity is compromised. Management was wonderful. I had the pleasure of working with and getting to know at least six Supervisors while there.  more... The great aspect of such, is the ability to work with very different personalities of superiors. I found all to have one common denominator, expectations of your job performance is warranted. Some were micromanagers, meaning very analytical in expecting time merits on your work progress. Others gave more freedom, letting an employee assume responsibilities, with occasional feedback. Either supervisory personality I had no issues with. I remember each of them fondly.
A part of pride for me was creating work instructions for every position I held and having them implemented. My most prided accomplishment was the opportunity to train seven contingents, with one that I trained while she was in Romania. I learned how to deal with many personalities while training as well. The most learned, that I brought from my past work experiences, which served me well in training at Timken; was that fairness and total exposure to work procedures is imperative. An enormous amount of patience and supervision paid off in being respected, and results of their work excelled, reflecting positively on myself.
Pros
The complete learning experience. Learning confidence in holding meetings, speaking publicly, and traveling to suppliers headquarters.
Cons
Losing my job because of the US economic downfall
great place to work, but limited prospects due to continuous pressure to control/reduce SG&A costs
Global Product Manager - Power Transmission Group (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHApril 9, 2016
Typical day starts at 7:30, usually with a few meetings with teams in Asia. Mid morning catching up on emails, followed by more more meeting most of the day solving supply chain issues and executing on the product strategies to drive desired results to the top and bottom lines. Learned from valuable experiences being at world headquarters, and have excellent relationship with most of the executive management team, including group presidents, VPs,a and the CEO. The people are great and supportive, which keeps the joy up in the job.

Hardest part is knowing that talented high potential employees are constantly pressed to make lateral moves at best due to the immense cost and revenue pressures on the organization, which stifles career advancement opportunities and increases attrition.
Once was a great place to work, down hill after 2012
Process Control Attendant (Former Employee) –  Iron Station, NCApril 5, 2016
Hi I was an assembler I worked for Timken for nearly 8 years. The first 4 were great. When I started Timken it was for years and still THE Place to work. This was the job that once you start working for Timken you don't leave, you retire with the company, it WAS that great. Then it went down hill quickly after that. I suppose higher ups (corporate level) came down on managers and they started changing everything around. Not in a good way. In 2015 so many employees left, assemblers, grinders,maintenance, and electricians. They literally had to call some people out of retirement because employees were getting what was going on and got out of there asap. And they are still dropping like flies there. People are moving on from the has been company called Timken, Lincolnton bearing plant.
Pros
The pay and the benefits
Cons
Working 6 days a week, no family life, Managers don't care anymore