TIRE KINGDOM Employee Reviews

I wouldn't wish this job on my worst enemy
Technician (Former Employee) –  FloridaDecember 18, 2012
This is by a long shot the worst company I ever worked for. I was fresh out of an Automotive Technician school went in for an interview on Tuesday... Everything seemed good, said he would get back to me soon. The manager called me on Thursday saying he wanted to hire me, that I should come in anywhere around 2-3 PM on Friday. When I get there Friday, all of the management is no longer there at the store. The store manager, assistant manager, service advisor, and many of the techs are no longer at the store... transferred they say. First instinct was to run away, but I needed a job, and the new management seemed okay. I was hired at a rate lower than the current minimum wage + commission. Later I found out the meager rates they were paying to exploit technicians: $0.50 cents to perform a complete oil change service (tire rotation is free with every oil change), $0.25 cents to replace a tire, $7.00 to do a full alignment (they later cut this to $2.00). Two weeks after being hired by the shop, the district manager came for his first visit to the store to see his "newly installed" team. At first meeting and introduction, he decided to transfer me to another store that same day. Nevermind I was hired at a store 4 miles from my house, and he moved me 10 miles from my house, and I never recalled a "willing to travel" note on the application. I didn't want to cause problems so I went along. The labor was very hard, manageable for the average person used to doing tires and quick service, but slave labor considering the pay. There is a ton of politics and special treatment as far as the  more... shifts worked, how the repair orders are handled, etc. Very infuriating... I'm guessing that is why they tend to transfer and break up the cliques in each store. Makes it super hard to make decent money even if you are an A+ level tech. Fast forward 2 months later, again upper management decided to break up the store I was working in and transferred, demoted, fired, or other the entire staff + store management. This time he moved me to a store 16 miles from my house. At that point I had seen enough... decided with my Auto degree and ASE certification to apply and and got a job at a dealership paying double. My final word of advice is this is slave labor and a terrible company to work for. Even if you are an entry level tech looking for a place to just start and get experience on your record, this isn't the place. It's not worth it. Go work in the air conditioning at your average retail store, or go work at a restaurant as a dishwasher if you have absolutely no skills, diplomas or certificates. At least the pay is whole lot better. This is the wrong place to look for a job , period.  less
Pros
40 hours for everyone
Cons
very hard labor, low pay, terrible management, forced travel, politics/special treatment
productive and fun work environment.
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 20, 2016
typical day at work was not only coming to work and seeing your fellow associates but seeing friends. As someone with management experience I can tell you there will always be a boss and employee status and regardless the employee will do what they are told.
But I always took the approach of treating my guys the same way I would anyone else, and that is with respect. I would not tell my associates to do anything I wouldn't be by their side doing myself.
Tire kingdom was always more than a job to me, it was a home.
The customers were more like friends and family, coming in talking to you by name. That is the way a business should be run. Customers giving you that kind of trust will only better your business or company in growing into something more than you can imagine.
The hardest part of the job I would have to say was seeing those rare customers come in and no matter what you do what you offer nothing is good enough for them. I just don't understand how someone can wake up and just be that way and feel okay with themselves. Maybe I see it more because I'm on the other side of the counter. The most enjoyable part of the job honestly.....was being there.
Thanks for the years of wonderful experience.
Pros
friendly employees, great management.
Cons
poor pay to techs
fun environment, rewarded for hard work
Center Manager (Former Employee) –  augusta,gaFebruary 4, 2014
• Scheduled, trained, supervised and managed 8-10 direct reports; managed performance and handled employee relations issues.
• Monitored payroll budget and closely monitored employee hours worked to eliminate excessive overtime.
• Determined overall business direction in terms of customer base, products and services offered.
• Managed capital equipment investments and budgets for assigned areas.
• Managed sales team to ensure satisfactory service to existing accounts and oversaw the strategic development of new business.
• Ensured compliance to federal and state regulations as well as all company policies and procedures.
• Maintained highest standards of customer service with emphasis on customer satisfaction levels and prompt resolution of customer problems or concerns.
• Assisted with annual inventory and audit; ordered products and ensured merchandise was in-stock and on the shelf.
• Improved store operating controls; ensured inventory was maintained at optimal level based on store requirements.
• Used listening abilities to help customers identify and gauge needs.
• Toured the sales floor regularly, communicated with management, associates and customers.
• Met with senior management team to discuss improvements to customer service.
Horrible company
District Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 11, 2016
Full of lies, under pay, this company used to be good. As of the last few years major changes in upper and middle management. No longer a US company, owned by TBC corp who is owned by a Japan based company call Sumitomo, which promote under pay and long hours. Self serving company, they do not give raises. They hire inexperienced people so they don;t have to paid for quality personnel. They don't paid their mechanics enough, that why their quality of work is substandard. This company should only be used for their cheap oil changes, their free inspection and free alignment checks are a joke. Rest assure EVERY car needs everything. There will stats to try to convince you that work is need when it really is not. This is a buyer beware company...
Pros
Cheap oil changes
Cons
Everything else
Stay far away!! Trust me!
GS tech (Former Employee) –  simpsonville scMarch 26, 2013
Long hours, never got to see my wife or siblings/parents. Pay was less than min wage before commission, not much better after your hourly and commission are taxed. Barely enough to pay the bills. But the worst part? The MANAGEMENT!!! My store manager was possibly the rudest and most hateful person i had ever met. Told me he was always right, i was always wrong and my side of a story didn't matter, and that i have no rights as an employee. Worst treatment of employees i have ever seen, please don't even consider it.
Pros
had fun with other people i worked with, cheap repairs on own car
Cons
everything you could possibly think of
A demanding and possible rewarding place to work.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 4, 2014
A typical day at Tire Kingdom is going in to work and dealing with customers that expect the least expensive work to be done at the least amount of time possible. I enjoy being able to help customer's that need repairs on their vehicles and understand that some things are required. Most of my co-workers try to do the least possible just to get by. The management is reliable and knowledgeable. They try to help out as much as they can. The hardest part of the job is trying to make other co-workers understand that the better work they do the more success we will have and less problems there will be. The most enjoyable part is helping customer's get the best result and giving excellent customer service.
Pros
comission, bonuse
Cons
hours, days of work
Is one star the lowest we can rate?
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 28, 2012
I have worked for some great companies in my career. Companies that care about the employee and customer and treat both with respect. Places that make it a pleasure to go in and the hours fly by and you're surprised by the end of the day when it's time to go home. Businesses that reward achievement and give you reasons to work harder. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THOSE PLACES!
Long hours, low pay, demanding customer/management, uncertainty about everything, in short, don't just walk out of this store, RUN
Pros
they do have decent healthcare benefits
Cons
extremely long hours and low pay coupled with unreasonable demands to alway "do more"
A great learning experience
General Service Tech (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 24, 2012
A typical day was to satisfy the customers to make sure they get the right service. I've learned to be more of a hands on people person. Not afraid to tell them or give good advice on a product. Management was not all that good. I think if you know about cars more then a tech, u should be in management. If you have to ask what this is and what that is, your in the wrong position. Every co-worker that I had at Tire Kingdom was great. Learned a lot from them. There were no hard parts. Satisfying the customers was the most enjoyable part of the day
Pros
having fun at what i was doing
Cons
store supervisiors
Fun and competetive environment
Master Tire Technician/Floating Salesman (Former Employee) –  Port Saint Lucie, FLJune 3, 2015
I never thought this would give me the experiences that I recieved. I started as a tire technician, learning the trade and taking advantage of the many training opportunities given by the company and product manufacturers. We had many contests that kept us competitive, and kept the job fun, which in turn taught us efficiency. I worked my way up to Floating Salesman, first in the store I started in, then was given the opportunity to travel between all the stores in my district. I experienced different customer types, along with different management styles, which gave me a flexibility that I would take with me in future endeavors.
Pros
Experience
Cons
in the end, compensation
Productive and easy going
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooksville, FLOctober 20, 2015
A typical day working for Tire kingdom was very productive and detailed. Need to stay organized and detail on the work you perform. Able to manager at least six employees and take care of customer at the same time cause they are the number one priority. While taking care of those fields you would have to complete assignments with outside vendors always coming in and having to file the detailed work.
Pros
Everyone gets along and company works well with your needs
Cons
Not many negatives just to many hours I was having to work which was taking away from my family
Training program is very weak.
Store Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 27, 2012
I learned from other employees, how to use the computers, how to run shop machines, how to check in vehicles. They also taught me how to open and close he store, reconcile P Card reports, do inventory counts, order special order parts. Management was generally unavailable. My co-workers were a great asset to my knowledge of the job. The hardest part of the job was not receiving the correct management training on company procedures. I enjoyed dealing with the customers and working with the other employees.
Pros
knowledge of all auto motive repair industry
Cons
poor management training program
would not recommend tire kingdom for long term employment
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJune 22, 2015
average work week for manager 60 to 70 hrs per week. If daily goals were not met manager must work open to close in his store. 7am to 8pm. if monthly goals are not met manager to work open to close 6 days per week. Total miss use of salary position. Constant threat of termination if daily goals are not met. Termination of most managers and service managers within 1 to 2 years. Constant hiring of new managers and service managers at lower salaries. Terminations are stated as poor customer service since lack of sales could not be used.
Pros
good insurance but costly
Cons
as stated in review.
felt like i was in an unsafe work place
tire and lube technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Augustine, FLApril 2, 2013
I've done tires most of my life and when the manager of this location asked me to air up a tire that had been road flat and was dangerously damaged on the inside cause he didn't want to warranty it out,i refused and he had it in for me after that,he put air in the tire and walked off no sooner cause it blew out on the machine and i was let go shortly after.
Pros
the employees where good people.
Cons
managment seems not to care for the safty of there employees
A long thankless day...........
General Manager (Current Employee) –  North FloridaMarch 31, 2015
A typical day starts you up at 5am and you will arrive by 6 and work till 6pm. Most managers are disgruntled by the negative changes in their compensation program. They claim to be an internal promoter but have recruited externally for the past year.
The hardest part of the job is recruiting employees due to the poorly designed compensation program for shop employees.
Pros
Good Medical Benefits
Cons
50-60 hour work week min.
Great Team Orientation and Great Pay
Mechanic/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 28, 2014
Great place to work. A lot of chances to met new people and gain a lot of different skills and experiences. The work is fast paced and ever changing. Every task that has to be completed is always done in a timely fashion. Customer interaction is always present and this is good time to related to many people and sometimes educate them as well. The pay is equivalent to the amount of work that is completed on a daily basis.
Pros
good pay
Cons
poor benefits
fun job
Technician (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCMay 31, 2013
I was a mechanic. I worked on cars. basically a parts changer but it was fun. my co-workers were enjoyable in downtime we would joke around. the management were easy to deal with as long as our job was done and the shop was clean they left us alone. the best parts of the job were it was easy the working conditions were good and the people were fun to be around the hardest part was the lack of pay which is why i moved on.
Pros
it was fun
Cons
the pay
Stay away
GM (Former Employee)September 2, 2011
Back in the 90's when the company was owned by Chuck Cursio, it was a great place where you were rewarded for hard work and success. Today, the company is a shell of what it once was. Your told, "Our thanks is in your paycheck" and you have one foot out the door, before you begin if you are in Management. No job security even if you succeed and top Management will not support you.
good place to work for,it would be better if they would promote within the company
automotive tech (Former Employee) –  scJuly 2, 2015
is a good place to work at but the pay is not good enough for an experienced tech,its more like a oil changes and tire change place,the guy that knows nothing about car repairs makes more money than the automotive tech and that is the hard part of that job
Pros
they will work with you around your schedule
Cons
pay dont pair with experience
Not for the honest type of person.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLMay 22, 2014
A typical day would consist of trying to persuade people to but the services and product being sold. What I have learned is the you need to be as shifty as a used car salesman trying to get you to buy a lemon by telling you it is a rolls royce.
Pros
locality
Cons
sales expectations are too high for most people with limited sales experience, no real incentive
productive and fun work place
Manager / Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 9, 2014
great company to work for. company takes care of there employees. company is big on making sure work place is fun and not stress full so that they can provide great customer service. if you are looking for a company to work at and treat you with respect and train you to be the very best then tirekingdom is where you want to work.
Pros
pay, healthcare, training
Cons
long hours, no famliy time