Tista Science and Technology Corporation is seeking an experienced, mid level UNIX Systems Administrator immediately for it's client location on the campus of NIH in Bethesda, MD. The successful candidate will meet the requirements outlined below in the job description provided and bring an incredible amount of enthusiasm and have at least 5 years of Solaris admin experience. This experience is necessary and a candidate cannot be considered without this requirement. Tista has a great benefits package and the position has a very generous salary and promotion potential exits as well. Tista is an equal opportunity employer (M/F/D/V). Minorities are strongly urged to apply if qualified. If qualified, please apply as soon as possible. A detailed phone screen and in person interview will be performed before hiring the successful candidate.
Candidate will provide functional customer service and technical assistance to eRA developers, testers, users, and other functional areas within eRA. Candidate must be able to effectively represent eRA Operations interests when interfacing with all functional areas. The candidate will interface closely with all functional areas within eRA Operations (DBA, Middle Tier, Ops Infrastructure), building knowledge and expertise in each functional area. Candidate must provide technical and strategic support to eRA Operations leadership staff for planning and process improvement initiatives.
Furthermore, candidate will serve as a point of escalation for Unix and Linux-specific issues. Candidate must be comfortable in interfacing with highly educated specialists as well as users with little, or no, technical knowledge; must have ability and desire to learn quickly and apply knowledge effectively; must have the flexibility to support other Unix/Linux administration functions outside of specified work tasks; must work well in team environment; and, support the team mission to provide outstanding customer service.
Candidate must build a strong institutional knowledgebase in eRA Unix/Linux configurations, to include user rights and privileges, CRONTAB maintenance, NFS Mount points, SSH administration, FTP administration, and shell scripting.
- Bachelor of Science in Technical, Management or related field
- 5+ years of experience as Unix/Linux administrator
- Apply operating system and application patches to maintain consistency throughout all eRA environments.
- Provide technical guidance for process improvement initiatives
- Participate in troubleshooting activities, as needed.
- Serve as an escalation point for Unix/Linux troubleshooting issues
The Unix/Linux Systems Administrator shall:
- Work with DBA and Middle Tier staff to support the eRA application
- Update and maintain the current eRA Middle Tier / Java and documentation.
- Create and update Standard Operating Procedure documentation for Unix/Linux systems
- Provide expert guidance, leadership and support for resolving Unix/Linux issues and troubleshooting of production issues.
- Research and implement process improvements and technology solutions
- Provide expert guidance, leadership and support for Unix/Linux architecture in cooperation with the architecture branch.
- Provide regular updates to program management on the current and planned status of Unix/Linux server architecture
- Provide expert guidance, leadership and support for migration to and support of high availability and redundancy for Unix/Linux servers in collocated and remote sites.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- Must have excellent communications skills.
- Excellent problem solving and analysis skills with the ability to effectively troubleshoot, resolve, or escalate problems.
- Ability to identify and utilize relevant resources to provide customers with information and resolution.
- Ability to perform administrative tasks in Veritas Cluster Server (fail over, freeze resources, stop/start resources)
- Experience using Symantec NetBackup in an enterprise environment with multiple tape devices, multiple backup schedules, and tape archival processes
- Experience configuring and launching backup jobs in Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) via command line interface is desirable
- Experience administering accounts and application components of IBM ClearCase and ClearQuest is desirable
- Experience administering Veritas Storage Foundation is desirable
- Ability to build and administer servers in a VMWare ESX virtual environment is desirable
- Ability to perform basic administration tasks on Windows server 2003, 2008, and 2012 is desirable
- Experience administering NetApp SAN devices is desirable
- Java application server experience supporting Tomcat 7.x and 8.x on Unix/Linux is desirable
- Experience supporting N-tier applications in a 24x7 Software as a Service (SaaS) environment is desirable
- Experience administering open-source web analytics tools (AWStats, etc.) is desirable
- Experience providing technology solutions via a “cloud” provider is desirable.
- Experience interfacing with Oracle databases in a highly available configuration (Oracle RAC, Oracle DataGuard, Oracle GoldenGate) is desirable
- Knowledge and understanding of the System Development Life Cycle (SDLC) is desirable.
- Experience working within the National Institutes of Health is a plus.
- Experience with IMPAC II, Commons, and other eRA applications is a plus.
- Experience in Federal Grants Management is a plus.
- Candidate must exhibit excellent verbal and written communication skills
Solaris admin experience is a MUST have.
Position is based in Bethesda and WFH is not an option
Occasional nights and weekends may be required by manager as needed
Must be able to obtain a Public Trust Clearance