TiVo

TiVo Employer Reviews

So much untapped potential
Quality Engineer (Former Employee), Alviso, CAApril 17, 2014
Pros: easy going coworkers who maintain a high level of performance, collaborative culture
Cons: uncertain future, volatile stock price, minimal annual pay increases
Working at TiVo is like being on a roller coaster as far as the business performance.
The amount of work per employee is increasing as they continue to layoff veteran employees who really know the business and products, supposedly to help with the bottom line.
The product is truly great, winning multiple Emmy awards over the years. Upper management – more... not so much, though there are bright spots there as well.
The main redeeming quality for me are the workers in the trenches. TiVo somehow attracts a lot of really nice, hard-working people, and maintains a nice, collaborative work culture, in spite of the many challenges it faces in its industry, within its own higher ranks, and financially. – less
Productive and fun workplace with a ping pong table
Lead Technical Writer (Current Employee), Santa Clara, CAFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: free fruit twice a week.
Cons: lunches longer than an hour and leaving before 5:00 are frowned upon.
The people who work at TiVo are a great bunch; the culture is friendly and breezy. The work load is fast and heavy and never lets up. It was the best place I'd worked for a long time, mostly because the Doc manager I hired on with was the best I'd ever worked with and she created a happy and safe environment. But when she left TiVo after I'd been here – more... a year, most of the good things about being a writer at TiVo left with her.

[Please do no publically display my review--I offer it in confidence.] – less
Technically I did not work for TiVo, but Center Partners
Sales/Retention Agent (Former Employee), Fort Collins, CONovember 15, 2013
Pros: got to be my own boss and help develop and improve their scoring methods
Cons: they let center partners dispose of valuable employees
I really enjoy their product. I hope they can stay afloat in the market. They have the same requirements as any other corporation, which can sometimes get tiring, but if I could still be a QA tech for them, I would!
Stay Away
Project Manager (Former Employee), San Jose, CAAugust 12, 2013
Pros: salary is decent
Cons: layoffs are frequent and rarely advertised in the media.
STAY AWAY!

This company has no clue how to be internally productive. Groups are often silo'ed and rarely are alligned for cooperative customer support. Management have thier own backs covered and will work you 60-75Hr weeks. There are at least 5 crises a day to overcome in addition to your own work. Job security is secondary.This company will let you – more... go even with good-excellent reviews. Management review meetings are like the spanish inquisition. Your manger does not support you.

Run Far , Far away. – less
Was a great company but not any more
Software Engineering Manager (Former Employee), Alviso, CAApril 24, 2013
Pros: summer bbq event.
Cons: no business vision. management is very opaque.
TiVo used to be an innovator but not anymore. The management vision was not clear. Products are all market followers.

There are a lot of excellent engineers. They started to leave the company though. The company had hard time to retain top talents.
Dysfunctional management team creates unhealthy culture
MANAGER (Current Employee), Alviso, CADecember 3, 2012
Pros: parties and perks
Cons: lack of true leadership and vision
Some nice people and perks at this company. Several VP's and directors should have been released years ago. Engineering teams are at odds with one another and User Experience team has too much control over the direction of a product they've done very little to improve over the past few years. It's time for an overhaul!
Very good company to work for.
QA Engineer (Former Employee), Alviso, CANovember 9, 2012
I was happy to work for TiVo.
management was nice, working on different projects were up to satisfactory
Excellent Company with work life balance
Project Manager , Global Outsourcing (Current Employee), Santa Clara, CASeptember 8, 2012
Excellent Company with work life balance.
perfect place to work for people who want to grow in their career path. Excellent opportunities.
Pioneering digital TV company with amazing engineering talent, but...
Director Engineering (Current Employee), AlvisoMay 11, 2012
TiVo has been around for over a decade and have some amazing talent within the company. I've found that the staff to be extremely bright and talented, but IMHO, executive management have not been able to find the optimal method of utilizing the talent to their fullest potential. TiVo as a company is transitioning from a CE focused company to a partnership – more... company. However, in this transition they have lost focus on innovation. TiVo product offering is outdated and in many ways behind industry standards. TiVo culture is very relaxed and I've been able to find great work/life balance; to the point where I no longer find work challenging. – less
A great product, a great brand, disappointing market share
Executive Producer (Former Employee), San Jose, CAMarch 5, 2012
Pros: smart, good people
Cons: uncertain future, sluggish subscriber growth
TiVo has always had the best DVR product on the market by far, but some early strategic missteps and a patent environment that allowed competitors to copy the vasic functionality cost the company the market dominance the product deserved.