TLC Employee Reviews

Unique Experience, Unique Food
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dongguan, ChinaJune 7, 2015
Class start promptly at 8 am with 6 session lasting till 5 pm and another more relaxed lesson starting at 8 pm. The days are long and hard, but seeing students improve their English so that they might go to America one day is priceless.
I learned to always be ready with Plan B, and Plan C, and you might as well have a Plan D and E while you're at it. One lesson may be awesome, but the next might fall like a hot potato. Also, there are other administrators who come it to observe or give announcements, so that activity you had planned is now kicked to the curb. Adaptability, Adustability, Sustainability.
My co-teacher was great. We lived in the same apartment, so that made creating lesson plans easier and passing the baton easier. Since we were in China, our resources were greatly dwindled, especially since the internet has many limitations, but we both were creative and used that to our advantage.
We were expected to interact with the students as much as possible, which sometimes kept us out till midnight, so of course creating lesson plans started later than an ideal time. But each student was precious and loved buying us presents and lunches to show their appreciation.
The management was a little disorganized, and if it rained, then everything stood still. The differences in culture were frustrating and amusing, teaching me that every good employee needs a sense of humor.
Pros
Gifts from students and experience in a new culture
Cons
14-16 hour work days
counseling, and mentoring youth students on all educational levels.
After School Program Mentor (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 19, 2014
Arrive at work 8am. Prepare assestments, schedules, class monitoring, and goals for the day. Spend the earlier part of the morning with monitoring each client about 30 to 45 minutes in their classroom settings. Some classes would have two or more clients in the same class. monitor students at lunch, sometimes even having lunch with them, and some of their other classmates. Afternoon times is spent with 30 minutes of one on one face-time with the client in staff office. Student has certain liberties during this time period with counselor. They can either talk with counselor about other things going on in their day then just school, or they can do Art work, games with learning, or work with counselor on their assestments. and goals for the day and week. Those clients that have to take medication by monitoring is done at the face to face time with counselor, other qualified staff are in the office area as well. After face-time is completed counselor then does the data entry work needed to complete daily assignment, and assestment for student. Once that is completed, counselor then prepares to see students go home for the day, or counselor may attend a youth activity, or after school event with them. Most hardest aspect of the job was making sure all of the clients needs, and goals were met on a daily, or weekly basis. Most enjoyable would be the strides, and achievements that these youth make on a daily , weekly, monthly, and even yearly basis. Always trying to better themselves.
Pros
helping youth excel, and watching them grow, and learn.
Exciting Business Development postion.
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJune 4, 2014
TLC launched a new type of technology that diagnosed Macular Degeneration. Most days consisted of hot and cold calls, lunch and learns, demonstrations, and insurance billing training. This equipment was cutting edge technology that analyzed a patients field of vision and mapped the retina. Ophthalmologists experience problems with grasping the new technology as well as a decrease in the overall market. Although the box was effective it was not entirely cost effective, and I met with a lot of resistance from the practitioners. I couldn't have asked for a better boss, but the company suffered after it's restructuring with a blurred vision for the future. Funds were limited for marketing support, therefore most of the regional marketing fell upon the account executive to promote this new technology. In response, we all worked together as a team, sharing ideas and helping each other anyway we could. The corporate culture had a sense of comradely unmatched in any other I have worked for since.
Pros
working with new technology that saved senior citizens eyesite; including my father's.
Cons
integration of new technology with little corporate support.
Serious but fun over night job
BOUNCER (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 16, 2015
A typical night at work. I come in , check in, put my things down, and stand where im placed. Every female that walks in I have to give a thorough pat down, check bags, and check I.D. Have to keep an open eye throughout the night to make sure all is well. I learned that for the night to go smoothly everybody has to work as a team. The management agrees and also keeps an eye out. My co-workers were such a great help and team. The hardest part of the job was to stop any fights that would break out because usually it would be more than one, but the most enjoyable part of the job was just listening to the music they played throughout the night and after work just sit down and talk to the co-workers.
Pros
free beverages, food.
Cons
no breaks, a lot of fights to break
Stable and fun environtment
Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 15, 2014
• Duties included: Administer prescribed oral medications underwritten direction of physician or as directed by home care nurse and aide, change dressings, check patients' pulse, temperature and respiration, direct patients in simple prescribed exercises and in the use of braces and artificial limbs.
• Maintain records of patient care, condition, progress, and problems in order to report and discuss observations with a supervisor or case manager.
• Massage patients and apply preparations and treatments.
• Provide patients with help moving in and out of beds, baths, wheelchairs or automobiles, and with dressing and grooming.
• Accompany clients to doctors' offices and on other trips outside the home, providing transportation, assistance and companionship.
• Entertain, converse with, and read aloud to patients to keep them mentally healthy and alert
Good job in a lovable environment
A assistant teacher (Former Employee) –  Kyle, TXAugust 14, 2014
I would help the lead teacher with whatever she needed. Helped care for the kids, did paperwork, organized everything, communicated with parents and all staff. It was a fun job the kids really keep you on your toes and always working. I am use to handling a lot with a smile on my face. Job taught me how to multitask. I'm a very hard worker I love working knowing I'm helping others in a big way. The hardest part of the job was nap time I missed the kids being up keeping me busy. Most enjoyable part was knowing that I made a positive impact on the people around me.
Pros
positive environment
Cons
not enough children in daycare to keep a lot of teachers.
Very depressing place to work.
Maint. Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, OHOctober 28, 2013
As a maint supervisor i had 126 apt ,4 group homes and 2 MRDD properties to keep all maint up onand keep them ready for HUD inspection at any time.Most of the clients were mentaly disable to know how to take care of an apt.they would throw chairs thru windows ,remove faucet from sink ,fill toilet full of toilet paper so it was a never battle and the bad thing is i was on call 24/7.did not have time to enjoy my family on the week ends. Never no light at the end of the tunnel.
Cons
no healthcar
overall i liked the job i wished the owner of the company could pay the drivers more money an hour
Driver (Former Employee) –  burnsville mnApril 22, 2015
pick up school kids in the morning then pick people up with health problems bring them to dialyss doctor appointment eye doctor physical therapy. i learned that i have to be patient with senior citizens management was ok i liked working with my co workers hardest part driving in morning and afternoon rush hour the enjoyable part of my job was driving because i was by myself my own boss you have to use common sense and good judgement over all i liked the job
Pros
i was on my own i got the job done
Cons
sometimes i had sit for an hour for my next pick up
A job worth doing!!!
Care Worker (Current Employee) –  BarnsleyJuly 24, 2015
I have worked for the company a few years now and really enjoy my job. I understand the challenges faced when delivering care in a timely manner. The overall satisfaction of going out and helping people to enable them to stay in their own homes by far out weighs this, it is a job you feel is worth doing and makes you feel good about yourself.

Working in the care sector is rewarding, you feel you make a difference to people's lives and your job is worth doing, I get the opportunity to feel this working for TLC and really enjoy working for the company as a whole.
Pros
A very supportive team/ A job I enjoy and am proud to do!!
Cons
Does require some flexibility due to the nature of the sector
Experience at Groupon
Temporary Assignments (Former Employee) –  Covington, KYJanuary 23, 2015
A typical day at work was standing on a line for packing products. I would have someone from the picking department bring me products to be packed. I would then scan the products into their system see the quantity of the product that needed to be packed, assemble the boxes for the product, print out the shipping information and package the product.
My management was extremely understanding and very helpful. My co-workers were very pleasant to be around. The hardest part of the job was being on my feet for ten hours a day. the most enjoyable part about the job was that I was apart of making sure that the customers were receiving their packages on time and in full.
family owned business, very low key
commercial casting director-assistant (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CAApril 4, 2015
typically work began early, around 8:00 a.m. and continued all day well into the evening, finishing around 8:00p.m. or later.I learned everything about the casting processes for commercials, learned all the talent agents, which ones had the talent.learned videotaping and direction skills, my co-workers were my family. hardest pert of the job was getting everything done on time, most enjoyable part was interacting with the actors.
Pros
lots and lots of fun working very hard.
Cons
Needed to invest in more training for hourly employees.
Operations Magager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IndianaMarch 8, 2012
Company wasn't knowledgeable of software of the company they were going to do distribution for in Indianapolis. This made the learning curve much longer than it should have been. Also, the wrong size equipment was purchased for the width of the storage locations resulting in damage product and modification that had to be made to equipment. Labor wasn't able to speak English very well which caused performance issues.
Pros
payed employees good.
Cons
didn't follow through on promises.
I liked exploring the componets of the computers & software.
Computer Repair Technician (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZApril 22, 2015
I would go to my station among the corporate workers. I learned how to fit drives and circuit boards together to work with the mother board. Management just let me go at it seldom needing help. Sometimes I could help a co-worker with a virus problem. I ran out of part to do upgrades. They were all Dell Computers. That made the comparisons between computer models easer.
Pros
Having computers with which to work.
Cons
Not enough parts.
coming to clients homes and assisting them with daily activites
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Yuma, AZMay 10, 2013
assisting clients with meals, grooming, hygiene, medication, light housekeeping.... normally work alone with just the client. the management is not very professional. the hardest part of the job is being patient with clients, but i have definitely learned how to do that. it has also helped my with patience in every day life. most enjoyable part is knowing i helped someone who needs help.
Pros
pay is weekly, learn new things everyday
Cons
managment.
TLC Care about People/5stars
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Township of Commerce, MOApril 15, 2013
A typical day at work is caring for someone who is unable to care for themselves i learn that every body who is able for care get a loving and caring person whom is there 24hrs if needed Management wonderful Co-Worker caring person the hardest part of the job was when you knew a person was going to died and there is nothing you can do to stop it the most enjoyable part when person can Hug aother person and put smile on there face
Pros
free breakfast lunch, dinner
Cons
healthcare
Great customers
Administrative/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 11, 2014
Each day started out with taking and dispatching service calls, helping customers over the phone. Taking supply orders and shipping. Learned patience while waiting for the customer to explain their equipment problems. Ran reports for sales. Assisted the service manager in looking up parts for technicians and customer records. Loved interacting with the customers and employees. Helped create reports that were not part of the systems report que.
Pros
paid healthcare, yearly bonus
Cons
shrinking administrative staff at the branch level.
Great Daycare
Lead Staff (Former Employee) –  Spanish Fork, UTMay 28, 2015
I worked for the company for lets just say a lot of years and I did love it, I will say that aside from your check, there was no benefit to working there. The owner and assistant were wonderful and tried to do the best they could to work out whatever issues they could weather it be a staff issue, parent issue or whatever it may be. the owner was always trying to make improvements when ever she could.
Pros
job
Cons
mentally tired at the end of the job
Produtive and fun place to work.
Packer/Picker (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAMarch 28, 2013
A typical day at work for me is coming in getting my tools ready to start work. I learned how to work at a fast paste and be strong even when my feet started to hurt. Management was great cause they always was there when u needed them. The hardest part was seeing someone get hurt. The enjoyable part was getting off and knowing I put in a hard day of work.
Pros
being in a good work environment.
Cons
seeing peoples get hurt sometimes was hard.
busy,clean and plenty of hours available
Forklift Operator/Shipper-Receiver (Former Employee) –  Haverhill, MAMarch 28, 2014
clean environment and plenty of work. I liked the team I was a part of and enjoyed my work.
New management took over and changed hours and made it very stressful for supply and demand. After 5 years work got slow and as a result I was laid off. My boss was great and unfortunately passed away a few years after I left.
Pros
clean and plenty of hours.
Cons
seasons would flex and hours did slow to 40hrs. poor management.
was able to select area in which to work
Home Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 20, 2015
Company .worked hard to keep client base staffed.
to satisfy each client, dedication and,timeliness
management could be more Atentative.to staff
Co-workers worked together well
taking on a client at the last min.(via) ph. call
Seeing the smile and comfort of clients
Pros
office staff was wonderful
Cons
No benifits, No milage under 10 miles each way