TMC Transportation

TMC Transportation Employee Reviews

Good work for people willing to work hard
Over the Road Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 29, 2013
First of all over the road truck driving is not for everyone, some people just cannot cope with being away from their home and love ones. A typical day involves delivering your load; upon safely delivering your load you should inspect your load for its condition, as you are unloaded and are empty you inform your driver manager, who then places you on the board to get your next load. When you receive your next load information you need to determine the route to the shipper, and get there on time for your load appointment. Upon being loaded you should inspect your load for damage, if there is damage notify the shipper immediately for the shipper to replace the items with good items. Receive your Bill of Lading check the load according to what is on the BOL and count your bundles, units, etc… being sure that you have what is on the BOL, if everything is correct; Now you secure your load from forward and backward movements, and side to side movements. If tarping is required tarp the load so that no moister can get the load wet. Upon completion set you’re routing up for the day, stops for rest, shower, meals, and place to safely park for the night. After you have determined your plans now it is time to execute and have a safe day.
I went to a CDL school Sellersburg IN to learn how to drive a big semi-truck, during orientation for the company TMC they taught us their way of safely securing loads, and how to better drive the semi-truck. When I got with my trainer he taught me hands on how the loads are to be secured, and how to do the work safely and effetely, this includes the paper
  more... work involved for the BOL and out of the pocket expenses. Once I got my own truck, I used the technics that I was trained in, I then learned ways to do the job quicker while still keeping the standard of safety in high regards.
Management I do not have much to say I do not talk to management very much.
Usually meet co-workers on the job or in a terminal during service to the vehicle. Some are in good spirits and some are in low spirits likes, and dislikes.
DOT hours of service, while waiting to get loaded at a shipper, is sometimes “time” consuming this puts a crinkle in the amount of time you have to drive during the day for hours are being spent by waiting to get loaded. This is a wearing down at times, especially if you are there for hours, upon hours waiting. In some cases you will not be able to deliver your load in time because of the time spent getting loaded.
Is having a good paying week and getting home on Friday, not Saturday, or Sunday.
Pros
when good freight is available you can make good money
Cons
not getting home on friday
TMC is a company for beginners and nothing more.
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 9, 2014
This was my first trucking company. My orientation class had over 60 people in it for that week which should have rang a bell. TMC has very good recruiting. Those nice Petes are also seductive to a newbie. They convince you that they are the best of the best in trucking and that you are lucky to be there. They tell you how percentage pay is the best way to be paid and they convince you of it. They teach you flatbedding and do a pretty good job at it. After you complete your 4-5 weeks with a trainer (if your new) you get your own truck and then you really start to learn about trucking. It didn't take me long to figure out that TMC is really just a starter company. The pay is truly mid to low compared to other flatbed carriers, and hometime and family is not a priority at all. In my 6 months there I only got hung out on the weekend a few times, but I was almost always getting home on Saturday or leaving out really early on Sunday. That's not a weekend to me. I was at 28% of the load on pay, and many of my loads were paying $400-$500 to the truck and going 400-500 miles. Do the math. I'm sure they use percentage to cut drivers because you will never see for yourself how much a load is paying. Its just what they tell you. Many of the TMC trucks you see rolling down the road at a slow 62 mph will have two people in it. Those ain't teams. Its a trainer and trainee. Probably the highest turnover of any major flatbed company. TMC has to keep the flow of recent grads coming in like a blood transfusion. I think its baked into their business model. Seems like TMC drivers stay for about  more... 5-12 months then leave once they learn how poor TMC is and they start learning about other companies. Their drivers, through no fault of their own, generally don't get much respect from drivers of other companies and even shippers. Generally the TMC driver is very new and it shows. But of course there are some good experienced drivers their too. My experience was similar to the ones I stayed in contact with from orientation. We all left TMC. All I can say is that TMC is the "Swift" of flatbed trucking. Its a place to start but not much of a place to stay. Good luck.  less
Pros
nice equipment, flatbed training, good breakdown support
Cons
mid to low pay, lack of hometime, dispatchers straight out of college, lack of respect for drivers
TMC- Just another company
Driver (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 5, 2013
In my experience of 5 years at TMC, I've already quit twice first time too just enjoy my summer the second was to work for an O/O with unfortunally did not work out. My problem with TMC they just don't have the run's like they use too @ the frieght is just so cheap I can make $180 per day at home doing local for all the waiting around it's just not worth it too me. Along with going 62mph that's a JOKE especiall when they are going to E-Logs. Maybe the saftey department should look at quality drivers @ try holding on too them
Instead of puttting new guys inn the trucks at a high rate, then we here complaints on the trucks being damaged/rolled over. I'm not the only driver who believes this there are many that say the same thing.

TMC does have nice trucks and are currently putting new one's in the fleet but inn the end people want to get paid over having a brand new truck to drive. The few things I enjoy would be home time they are very good with this regardless of your FM sometimes you got ta make them just understand by talking out your needs. The hotel in Des Moines is also very nice @ most of the staff is friendly. I just feel like it's more babysitting then letting me do my job!! They are great to start with if you can make it long enough here, most companies respect you working for TMC if you decide to leave, flatbedding is semi-hard work and not for everybody. Average salary here starts around 35k-50k and up too 60k+ if you like to train. I have to say thought they maintain there trucks better then most, I don't mind washing the truck unlike companies that never do. All
  more... @ all your gonna have to shovel some bullsh!t just like anywhere else.  less
Pros
good home time
Cons
freight pay is light
Top Notch Steel Haulers
Professional Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMay 7, 2013
Typically home every weekend, loaded, spending Friday either in St. Louis, MO, or Chicago, IL to get a load thru-home...generally home for only 36 to 48 hours, but on the weekend; that's what counts, time with family...

Strict military-style leadership, training and rollout...they taught me the right way to secure dangerous heavy and over-dimension freight.

Deliver and pick-up freight overnight, safely and on-time...and you're pay will reflect the dedication.

Skateboarders help each other out, without question/hesitation, when its apparent that help is needed...its hard work climbing up and down on a flatbed, securing 50,000lb steel-coils, or 8-ft x 40-ft stacks of lumber that need and require 4-lumber tarps to be applied. And sometimes even when it seems tarps are NOT needed, they must be draped over the load per contract, and secured.

I enjoyed the camaraderie and pay...but not till after suffering about nine months of pain throughout my body as I got used to lifting chains, climbing hi-loads and throwing 4" strap rolls over a 13'6" stacks of lumber...or re-adjusting the tarps on the side of a frozen highway at 3am in the morning all by yourself...and then completing 600 miles every night...(not sure if the Feds allow that anymore).. . Great adventure!
Pros
you get paid what you accomplish
Cons
its rough, dangerous, demanding dirty and grimy work at times
great till your hurt
driver (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CONovember 29, 2015
great company to work for if you entry level or experienced. loads are good, pays good, and good home time for where i was located. had a few fleet a mangers till i got a good one, its sad a company will hold a fleet manager solo responsibly for a driver quitting for personal issues. their do care about their image then how you actually prevented an accident or refused to engage in road rage. If you get hurt on the job in home depot is responsible for the accident, well suck to be you, you're fired and on top of that they refuse to pay the workmans comp that pays for hip surgery cause their loaders messed up. 140k$ for the surgery and took you truck and your stuff and they want you to come and get it at des moine termnail. took them to court twice for what i thought was right, and won of coures. sooooooo if you work for them and you get hurt dont say anything. i ened up with an other flatbed company based out of denver and their about the same but their care for the empolyee is way more then TMC. Do your self a faovr and apply to melton or systems
Pros
great pay and home time
Cons
lack of ownership for emplyees getting hurt at shipper
Better than most but still at the bottom
Driver (Current Employee) –  KyDecember 18, 2012
I somewhat enjoy working here but I learned to put up a lot on how they do things. When they say your family it's a lie because staff treats you as below them. If your lucky you will have a veteran fleet manager. If you get one of there college kids be prepared for low paying loads and forget home time cause these guys don't know trucking. It's true they are dubbed marine corp of trucking industry because you will do things their way or highway. Also get used to walking on eggs shells they love to be intimidate. Most part decent check,see the states, get experience, and move on.
Pros
good equipment and insurance
Cons
find myself giving more than getting, pay is average if you run hard, now tmc is using e logs and inge trucks run 62 mph so you better hope you got the patience.
the company sets your sights high and lets you down.
driver (Current Employee) –  des moinesDecember 14, 2012
I have been with tmc for almost five months. Their pay and home time sucks. I have had to talk,to my fleet manger about it many times and nothing is done. They say they are a family company my wife was in the hospital and i let my fleet manager know and they kept me out another week. Also if there going to keep you out over the weekend their suppost to let you know by mid week and not let you know friday afternoon after your fleet manager said he had you a load. I made more money in the training then on the road. Your normal day starts at 6am if you have a load. Most the time after you unload its hours inbetween your next load.
Pros
seeing the country
Cons
money, loads, home time, management
Compeditive pay, great staffing, personal feel.
Company Driver OTR Flatbed (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 6, 2015
o Fleet manager was easy to talk to and wanted to help.
o Learned valuable skills managing time, resources, paperwork and communicating with customers.
o Every driver working for TMC is willing to help a fellow employee, helping load, tarp, unload, backing and many other things to just help a brother/sister get back on the road a little faster and safer.
o most enjoyable part of the job is the freedom while you are out on the road. also can be the least enjoyable part.
Pros
Great training program, able to make compeditive pay as a new driver
Cons
As with any OTR driving job home time is hard to find. but they are better than most.
great equipment
Motor Carrier-Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 6, 2014
• Established a proactive customer service oriented Fleet Service, and encouraged staff members to participate in professional development exercises and training.
• Performed the administrative tasks of managing personnel, staff positions, promotions, award recognitions, disciplinary actions, and personnel counseling.
• Coordinated numerous transportation missions via land, sea, and railway, including hazardous materials without any deficiencies.
• Maintains transportation vehicles and documents operation maintenance logs for service conditions.
Pros
great equipment
Cons
not enough homr time
I miss my TMC Family
Logs Associate (Former Employee) –  Gaston, SCMarch 10, 2013
I have read all these reviews and I can not comment on what the drivers actually go thru with loads, dispatch, etc. but I can say I personally loved working at TMC. I have worked for several trucking company's big and small since I left there-due to a family move-but I would love to come back if I ever get the chance. To me this was Family, not just a Job. I loved my drivers and working with them and I loved my boss and co-workers and how well we all worked together. I came to TMC not knowing much about the trucking industry or logs but I got a lot of great help and training from my co-workers and drivers too.
Good place to start
Otr driver (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia paJanuary 9, 2013
I have been with tmc since October of 2012 in my opinion the company is a good start for anyone in the short time ive been here i have progressed i am already at 27% and im on my second month on my own tarping is challenging but gets easier pay is good but u gotta work for it doesnt come easy gotta run overall i like the company good foundation has a bit of a military order too it especially in orientation alot to learn in a short time . I would recomend this company to any one on a average i gross 1100 to 1200 weekly
Pros
pay people other drivers
Cons
tarping

Comment – January 14, 2013

1 How long do they keep you out? 2 They run E-logs? 3 How long is orientaion?

Make good money but gone all the time
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 27, 2014
You control how you drive and time management. I learned how to properly secure loads and freight on a flatbed trailer. This allows for the safe travel and movement for thousands in valuable freight. The other drivers were always nice and professional in their work. Management wanted you to always go and your family came second to any work or loads that had to be shipped. The best thing about this job was being able to see the country but the hardest thing was being away from family for long periods of time.
Need more work
Detailer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 16, 2012
First, when I worked here, there were too many people giving orders instead of taking orders. Second, we would had a meeting before our shift started to talk about what need to be do before our shift was over. Finally, I hate when they ran out of trucks for me to detail. So, I would have to do house keeping around the workplace and offices in the building.
Pros
one pro i loved about this job was that i had my own work station
Cons
they would let the detailer from days get all the semi-trucks
Stay free at any one of there hotels
OTR Flatbed Truck Driver, Class A CDL (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 3, 2012
Work hard , and they will take care of ya. (In a good way) The hardest part of the job for me or really the most time consuming was tarping the loads. Time in truck driving is money,the longer your wheels arn't turning the less your making per week.The best part you meet and go to some very cool places. Trust me driving gets under your skin (In a good way)
Pros
first class outfit
Cons
away from home
Take good care of equipment
driver (Current Employee) –  texasOctober 5, 2012
As a driver that values home time its a good place to work. they try to get you home every weekend and fix anything you identify as wrong. most repairs are at terminal or dealer. Tarping is worst part of job best part is always on the move very little in load delays while I was OTR 30 minutes or less was common from unload to redispatch
Pros
home time
Cons
seasonal lulls in cargo mostly building supplies
productive
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  IAJune 16, 2012
On a typical work day I would start around 7am. I would make my first delivery then would contact my dispatcher to get information for my next pick up and drop off. Safety is the biggest part of my job. I didn't have much interaction with co-workers as I was an otr driver. The hardest part of my job was tarping my loads. The most enjoyable part of my job was everyday driving.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
home time
Demanding and Challenging
Professional Driver (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 2, 2015
Operating a commercial vehicle with a flatbed trailer. Strapping, chaining and tarping loads. Most people at the company have a holier than thou attitude, especially at the corporate headquarters. Forced dispatch and no say so in what loads you get. Started off good, ended up hating it.
Pros
good money if you live in the right area
Cons
everything else
Would not recommend
Class A Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 10, 2014
Work assignments handed out to top drivers first, hard to get into good standing with dispatchers unless you are willing to be out for long periods of time. They seem to hold it against you if you hold them to their policy of getting you home all but 6 weekends out of the year and poor definition of weekend (ie: saturday afternoon to sunday morning).
Over the road position
Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 20, 2014
As a regional driver, management tried to get me home every weekend. In 15 months of work, I was only stuck out twice. The pay was OK, I spent too much on food, etc to make it worth it. Benefits were decent. TMC takes pride in thier equipment, always clean, and functional.
Pros
well known company, with good safety record
Cons
away from home a lot
Great Company, Great Management
Truck driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 13, 2014
TMC transportation is a very reputable company to work for, with great people, great training, and wonderful equipment. There was never a time in my time with TMC that I did not have work available to me. They offered me a great opportunity with getting my CDL experience.
Pros
good benefits, good training