TMC Transportation

TMC Transportation Employee Reviews

an adventuure
Flatbed Truck Driver (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAApril 6, 2015
This was a job that i will always remember because of the the things I have learned. a real first rate company and I would recommend this workplace to anyone.
As an intern, felt like I didn't exist
Fleet Manager Intern (Former Employee), Gaston, SCMarch 17, 2015
When I showed up for my first day of work, no one at the office knew I was starting that day, or that there even was going to be an intern. The person training me didn't have any experience in training interns so it was a poor experience overall.
Standard semi wash-bay
Appearance Technician (Former Employee), Des Moines, IowaMarch 1, 2015
Pros: lunch breaks
Cons: no weekend supervisors
Good group of guys to work with and accomplish daily goals. Daily break downs require you to fix problems immediately. Gained knowledge in mechanical break-downs. Supervisor only worked with week crew.
Hated this place
OTR driver/ trainer (Former Employee), Des moines IAFebruary 24, 2015
Cons: everything
Used to make good money then that went away. Then the home time stoped and I would get stuck out for a month at a time with no loads. It my be diffrent now but I dont want to find out.
not to bad
Truck Driver Class a (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: nice trucks
Cons: gone from home
they aren't a bad company to work for if u like being gone all week me personally I wanted to be home with my kids everynight is why I left.
Godd company to drive for fresh out of school
Company Driver (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: good equipment
Cons: load securement
Rigorous training, pretty good staff, very reputable, good moral, good equipment, and home 49 out of 52 weekends of the year. Hardest part of this job is having to deal with load securement.
great place to work if you put the time in
Flat-bed Linehaul Driver (Former Employee), Des Moines, IADecember 24, 2014
Pros: great money. best equipment.
Cons: 34 hrs home isnt enough.. 14-20 hrs of that is spent sleeping
i loved working here i made more money than any other job i've ever had. but you are expected to work and they don't want to hear any complaining. put in 16+ hrs a day
Would not recommend
Class A Truck Driver (Former Employee), Des Moines, IADecember 10, 2014
Work assignments handed out to top drivers first, hard to get into good standing with dispatchers unless you are willing to be out for long periods of time. They seem to hold it against you if you hold them to their policy of getting you home all but 6 weekends out of the year and poor definition of weekend (ie: saturday afternoon to sunday morning).
Top Flatbed Transportation Company in the Industry
Student Recruiter (Current Employee), Des Moines, IANovember 5, 2014
Top Flatbed Transportation Company in the Industry. Normal work day with limited travel.
Great company with GREAT co-workers.
Company Driver (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAOctober 21, 2014
Pros: great people, great equipment
a GREAT place for a new driver wanting to get into flatbed. Transport of raw materials, lumber, gypsum, alfalfa hay, John Deere
implements/equipment, steel and steel coils, etc.
Over the road position
Driver (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAOctober 20, 2014
Pros: well known company, with good safety record
Cons: away from home a lot
As a regional driver, management tried to get me home every weekend. In 15 months of work, I was only stuck out twice. The pay was OK, I spent too much on food, etc to make it worth it. Benefits were decent. TMC takes pride in thier equipment, always clean, and functional.
great company
FlatBed Trainee (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAOctober 3, 2014
great company, great equipment, great training. but only if you like being away from home.
Very Well Oiled Machine
Driver (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAJuly 14, 2014
Load and unload freight throughout the United States, Display and present a professional appearance at all times.
Good company
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAJune 25, 2014
Pros: non
Cons: not going home
Strict policies on truck. Can make money if you have a good team. Hardest part is being out on road and not at home every night
Great Opportunity
Company Driver (Current Employee), Nashville, TnJune 17, 2014
On the road sunday-Fri, home on weekends. Running Flat Bed Freight of all kinds including OD Loads
TMC is a company for beginners and nothing more.
OTR Driver (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNMay 9, 2014
Pros: nice equipment, flatbed training, good breakdown support
Cons: mid to low pay, lack of hometime, dispatchers straight out of college, lack of respect for drivers
This was my first trucking company. My orientation class had over 60 people in it for that week which should have rang a bell. TMC has very good recruiting. Those nice Petes are also seductive to a newbie. They convince you that they are the best of the best in trucking and that you are lucky to be there. They tell you how percentage pay is the best way to be paid and they convince you of it. They teach you flatbedding and do a pretty good job at it. After you complete your 4-5 weeks with a trainer (if your new) you get your own truck and then you really start to learn about trucking. It didn't take me long to figure out that TMC is really just a starter company. The pay is truly mid to low compared to other flatbed carriers, and hometime and family is not a priority at all. In my 6 months there I only got hung out on the weekend a few times, but I was almost always getting home on Saturday or leaving out really early on Sunday. That's not a weekend to me. I was at 28% of the load on pay, and many of my loads were paying $400-$500 to the truck and going 400-500 miles. Do the math. I'm sure they use percentage to cut drivers because you will never see for yourself how much a load is paying. Its just what they tell you. Many of the TMC trucks you see rolling down the road at a slow 62 mph will have two people in it. Those ain't teams. Its a trainer and trainee. Probably the highest turnover of any major flatbed company. TMC has to keep the flow of recent grads coming in like a blood transfusion. I think its baked into their business model. Seems like TMC drivers stay for about – more... 5-12 months then leave once they learn how poor TMC is and they start learning about other companies. Their drivers, through no fault of their own, generally don't get much respect from drivers of other companies and even shippers. Generally the TMC driver is very new and it shows. But of course there are some good experienced drivers their too. My experience was similar to the ones I stayed in contact with from orientation. We all left TMC. All I can say is that TMC is the "Swift" of flatbed trucking. Its a place to start but not much of a place to stay. Good luck. – less
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Des Moines,IAApril 1, 2014
I drove over the road. I drove a flatbed trailer. I drove in states east of the mississippi
rough and dirty
Tractor trailer Flatbed Delivery Driver (Former Employee), Texas dedicatedMarch 30, 2014
Rough life with no home time. much like the life of a deployed soldier they dont give you enough time between deliveries to take showers and eat.
Make good money but gone all the time
OTR Driver (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAMarch 27, 2014
You control how you drive and time management. I learned how to properly secure loads and freight on a flatbed trailer. This allows for the safe travel and movement for thousands in valuable freight. The other drivers were always nice and professional in their work. Management wanted you to always go and your family came second to any work or loads that had to be shipped. The best thing about this job was being able to see the country but the hardest thing was being away from family for long periods of time.
Great Company, Great Management
Truck driver (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAMarch 13, 2014
Pros: good benefits, good training
TMC transportation is a very reputable company to work for, with great people, great training, and wonderful equipment. There was never a time in my time with TMC that I did not have work available to me. They offered me a great opportunity with getting my CDL experience.

1 2 3

About TMC Transportation

TMC is the largest privately owned flatbed trucking company in the United States. With over 40 years in the flatbed industry, – Read more

TMC Transportation Photos