TMC Transportation Employee Reviews

good
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 23, 2017
Good place to work great people to work for nice equipment and good pay on your performance with persentage pay or milage pay good benefits like paid vacation and 401k with esop
Steady work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 11, 2017
Steady work once you get through the freshman time there. Get up, approve your E-Logs, prepare your paper work and drive. Deliver, do your paperwork and go to sleep.

No APU's at all in any of the trucks.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Not all FM's have driven before
Good company to work for
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 4, 2017
Good company to work for. There is a lot for a new driver to learn. I dont care who you are, you will be slow first starting out and you will gradually get faster. I do feel they truely care about thier employees.
Pros
Good people to work with, travel, keep on thier word about home time.
Cons
Fighting your clock with load securement, eat out of route miles in order to get home.
TMC is a little above average.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 6, 2017
I wouldn't recommend this company to new drivers. TMC gives great experience to new hires however most like 85% of drivers leave in the first year. The reason people leave is because the work demands continual sacrifices from the drivers. Your job is to load and unload the trailer which is equivalent to 2 two hour workouts a day. Your probably thinking great I need to lose some weight. After your sweaty workout you still have to drive about 450 miles a day equivalent to 9 hrs on a good day of driving with no traffic or adverse weather. You also have to find time to eat, shower, use restrooms, wash truck once a week, fuel, and plan where to sleep for the night. Many nights you are awaken by airbrakes and semis driving by. You get to do that 6 days a week and sometimes because of being detained at shipper you get to work 7. So enjoy your 12 hours at home. TMC dispatchers just make things get worse before getting better, so people get fed up and leave. It maybe gets a little better as you go. Better loads.
Pros
Free chrome cafe burgers, good csa score.
Cons
12 hrs home?
Great Place To Work But......
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 29, 2017
TMC as a whole is a great place to work for; however beware of any company that tells you about all these great benefits. If the benefits and the environment is so great why are they looking to recruit you? Home time will always vary and don't read into the information packed about being home Friday mid day. Thats something thats a rarity. Some loads will bring you into Saturday morning or how about getting a load at 12pm on a Friday afternoon with a 5 hour bounce. I believe you get what I am saying now.

Loads will vary, why? Do you want to be home for the weekend? If not then you can run 2 weeks out and that's when you see money. You'll get loads leaving all over the place knowing you don't have to be home for the weekend, plus some loads that you'll get will take you cross country.

Benefits are great for a single individual but for a family you are spending about $450 a month for a family medical. 401k, and additional insurance. ESOP is after 1 year with the company.

Read all information carefully and leave no stone unturned. You are as responsible for the equipment as much TMC. It's your truck and temporary trailer.

<WARNING> YOU WILL BE WORKING MORE THAN 70 HOURS A WEEK. Unstrapping, un-tarpig, and getting unloaded including the folding of tarps are all done off the clock (yes you only show 30 minutes to unload on your logs). As an individual doing it alone its a bit time consuming especially in inclement weather and you'll find that by the end of the week you will have worked far more than 70 hours.
Pros
Great places to work if you do love to get up and make it happen for you.
Cons
The benefits are a bit costly, and your home time is not really guaranteed.
great company for experience as well as 20 yr retirement
Class A CDL Driver (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 15, 2017
TMC is a great otr company to work for, Home on weekends
and go out of their way in emergencies to get you home,
Total honesty from orientation throughout my employment
Driver Review
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 27, 2016
Excellent company to drive for! Everything they promise is true except for the wages. You're lucky to earn $1000 per week here but you don't have to drive a lot of miles. You'll gross $1000, or less, per week only if you can pick-up & then deliver 5 loads each week. As you can imaging, there are many variables that can effect this goal. If you miss the 5 load goal then you're into to $700 per week club.
They add all kinds of incentives to increase your pay but they don't really increase it significantly and the main incentive is truck revenue which is totally controlled by your fleet manager. You can bet he/she is giving the high paying loads to their best drivers and not their rookies.
The equipment is nice and the people you work with are great.
Pros
Great equipment
Cons
Low paying loads
Tmc
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 28, 2016
They had very nice trucks and trailers, like they keep telling us in orientation, but the pay was not good, I felt like I was paying them to work for them, if would have stayed there would have lost my car, cars and pretty everything.
Longer hours than dot
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 26, 2016
Work off the clock or dont make appointment times. 80 hours a week in drive time and only 30 minutes for loadunload a day. If you dont unstrap and unarp off the clock, your shooting your day in the foot. Goodluck.
Honest
Professional Driver (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 22, 2016
true to their word home every wknd if not its due to issue on road or loads just werent available. Usually leave out on sunday night return home friday afternoon.
Pros
decent pay, great equipment.
Cons
rolling tarps in cold, going in for service certain terminals are lazy.
Can be a highly stressful job
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 6, 2016
Being an OTR-Driver can be and usually is a stressful job. Trying to meet appointments while fighting traffic and fatigue and even occasionally the dispatcher.
Pros
The money is decent
Cons
Money is unpredictable, away from family often
Very hard manual labor
Tractor Trailer driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 29, 2016
10-11 hours driving on the daily. Great place to learn how to strap different kinds of materials and strap them safely to a flatbed trailer. Learn different types of taping methods. Solid place to learn discipline and cleanliness. Management is great at communicating with drivers, they listen and respect your needs if they are reasonable. Met one of my best friends at the TMC orientation, we were two of 5 guys that were still working at TMC. I say this because we started with a class of 35 and after a year there were only 5 of us left. It is a job not for everybody. The hardest part of the job was winter months in upstate NY and Toronto Canada. Not to mention PA, MI, and IL, brutal winter elements. The lumber tarps feel like they way 170 lbs. soaked wet and full of snow and getting them on top of the trailer is no picnic. On the other hand I got to see some of the most beautiful sunsets and sunrises of my life, and got to enjoy the fresh while driving through the states.
Pros
great equipment
Cons
tough manual labor
Good Company for flatbed drivers
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXSeptember 25, 2016
Expect full days using all your clock time 14 hour workday. As a Texas dedicated I was paid CPM versus a percentage to the truck. You have to be OTR to get the percentage pay which comes out to more. Never had any major issues with the company. I enjoyed my time as a driver with this company.
Na
Logistics Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, ARAugust 22, 2016
I have nothing to say one way or another about TMC other than the location manager needs a lot of improvement and someone is going to get offended from the behavior.
great learning place with knowledgable technicians
Truck/Trailer Technician (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 17, 2016
All in all a great place the only reason I plan on leaving is to return home. My single complaint would be their top end pay is not competitive. besides that I have enjoyed my time spent with this company
Tmc
Class A CDL Truck Driver (Flatbed) (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 7, 2016
Tmc is a great company with many career opportunities, and I would highly recommend them to anyone interested in otr flatbed work.
Pros
Home every weekend
Cons
Away from home 5 days a week.
not a bad place to work
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  des moines, iaJuly 25, 2016
Tmc wasn't a bad place to work if you like staying away from your family long periods of time. I have a 2 year old and missed out on a lot with him when I was working their. To add the home time with them could have been a lot better
Pros
got to take truck home
Cons
not near enough home time
Started out good
Driver (Current Employee) –  Gaston,south carolinaJuly 17, 2016
Been with tmc for a few months the week of July 4th had a family emergency and they wanted me to deliver in Pennsylvania before going home in Mobile,alabama ...... Bust my butt to make ends meet and mention going home and they give you loads that pick up 200 miles further from home making it very hard to get home for decent home time ..... I have lost my house and my family dealing with this place
Pros
Nice equient
Cons
No home time
Fun, Clean and productive work place.
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 17, 2016
TMC really cares about their drivers. It doesn't matter if your a new or senior driver for TMC, they always treat you with great respect.
I've leaned how to optimize my drive time and secure many loads.(flatbed trailers)
Management is always wiling to listen and give you the best service while your out on the road. they are avilible when you need them most of the time.
Co-workers are always willing to help you whenever you may need it. the hardest part of the job can either be baking into tight bay doors or trying to find out where to enter a job site. easiest part of the job is securement once u understand the concept behind it.
good people professional people
foreman Class A driver heavy equipment opp. (Former Employee) –  IowaJuly 8, 2016
driving was fine Hated the places we had to use and visit-and lack of good food and exercise. great training understanding and thoughtful/helpful people.
Pros
good people professional good benefits
Cons
absolutely disgusting

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TMC Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.