TMC Transportation Employee Reviews

Former driver, driver trainer
Driver Trainer (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IA, indiapolis inJanuary 11, 2018
Outstanding company. Should have made a better life choice and stayed with them. As a driver and a owner operator in 37 years I have not found a more rewarding career than the life I had at TMC. Since i recently retired from the driving part of life. I will always recommend this company to new or existing drivers. You can' just work hard and learn. The rewards are all on you. They give you all the best tools to achieve excellence.
Pros
Equipment. Managment, life style benifits training
Cons
I left.
Good
Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 11, 2017
TMC was a good company to work for. I just was not looking to advance into their more in depth mangerial roles, as it was not something I wanted to do for the next 5 to 10 years
Pros
Cafeteria on site
Cons
Stressful situations on a daily basis
Love this place
Professional Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IA 50321December 7, 2017
I love that this place revolves around accountability and safety. If you break something here your are going to pay for it. Other companies usually just write it off.
It is a good place to learn a lot of diffrent things.
Long Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 4, 2017
This job teaches you how to be independent and make decisions when one is needed. You learn to manage the time and how to be organize the day to be productive.
Pros
You are by yourself .
Cons
Sometimes you feel lonely.
Good place to go if your are just starting in the truck industry
CDL A Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 16, 2017
Typical work was picking up your load and then driving to your drop off for the following day delivery.

They teach alot about safety, they go above and beyond D.O.T regulations.

Never had a problem with management they treated me with respect my entire time there.

Nice work place culture, everyone I met at TMC was helpful and respectful.
Pros
ESOP program
Cons
Being away from family.
Very nice place
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  IowaNovember 14, 2017
Tmc was a vey nice place they have there rules but that's just apart of every job Tmc has some real nice trucks and the people there and real nice as long as you are doing the right things...and wasting there time
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Fun phone calls from team leaders
Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 6, 2017
I had a blast working here definitely got some options of where I wanted to be at times definitely had a great boss and actually showed they cared about family
They say its your business to run, but its not
Team Management/Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 5, 2017
The sales side is a joke, its a 4 step process and you have control over only 1 of the 4 steps. Relying on others to do their jobs in order for you to get paid. It gets pretty bad when you have to sell the customer and then sell your support people on the load running.
Good place to work hard
Truck Driver (OTR) (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 2, 2017
Company rewards hard work. If you're the kind of person that likes spending time in the sleeper this is not the job for you. Paid per load not miles. Some of there freight rates suck real bad. Some are real good.
Pros
New equipment, good freight
Cons
Some bad freight, leave home on sunday, not always home on friday
You really become a fan of the company.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 27, 2017
It's not an easy job, you will work hard and long and you'll love most of it.

It's not for everyone, and it can be hard on a family especially if you have kids, but you're one of the best flat-bed drivers in the country and everyone knows it.
Pros
Great Company
Cons
OTR drivers work 6 days a week away from home.
Good company
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Delbarton, WVOctober 22, 2017
Really good company to work for with great structure . Home Time is the reason I’m looking for another job. I would like a job that I can be home with my family everyday.
Pros
Black and chrome Peterbilts
Cons
Lack of home time
Not for everyone
Flatbed Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 15, 2017
It was not easy getting through training. I did not make through the 2 weeks of training. It was a waste of time and money. The training was nice, because they gave us the Baymont Inn near the main terminal in Des Moines, IA to lodge in. However the training was very abrasive and some of the administrative staff were very shallow and blunt. They did not desire to keep new drivers, but weed them out.
new driver job
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 11, 2017
drove a flat bed tractor trailer,delivered multiple types of material if you dont have young kids or can stan being away from your family for sometimes a few weeks i only left tmc to be bac k home with my family
Enjoyable environment, heavy workload
Detention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 3, 2017
Lots of hours, over 9 years, the pace wore me down. I enjoyed the work but the day to day workload, based on turnover and overtime caused me to burn out. Relief was short-lived.
Pros
staying busy, co-workers
Cons
management and hours
great work place
Trailer Technician (Current Employee) –  Brownsburg, INOctober 2, 2017
great workplace POOR management towards workers. management always has an attitude towards workers under them. its a great place to work if you can deal with the heat.
I love my job
Driver Trainer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 2, 2017
I am a current driver trainer. This company is amazing. Employee stock options, if you last 6 years you could walk out with 80 to 100k. Income is above average in the flat bed division. I would recommend this company to everyone.
Pros
Employee stock options. New petes
Cons
Over the road
Overall, an exceptional company to be a part of.
Class A CDL OTR Flatbed Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 27, 2017
TMC, in my opinion, was the best company I have ever had the privilege of working for. They provided excellent detailed training that continued throughout employment. With a very informed and supporting management staff, I felt very welcome and appreciated. The type of industry TMC was part of,(long haul trucking), they held high value in the drivers needs, meeting or exceeding them as often as possible. A very large amount of effort went into ensuring regular home time for every driver occurred, as well as any needed personal time requested was granted. I feel the pay structure was well thought out, a performance based commission scale which was evaluated on a monthly rotation, allowing for performance merit to have a rapid influence upon compensation, creating a competitive approach toward ones work approach, striving for achievement increases from previous personal bests. Management and support staff were excellent with ensuring the company policies and standards were always upheld with a continuous training and positive reminder approach.in short, TMC was the best company I've been a part of, considering the industry of trucking is one of, if not the hardest to achieve a proper balance of productivity while employee moral maintains proper levels.
Pros
401k, Esop, medical, vision, dental
Cons
long hours, extended periods of time away from home
Good Company
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Midwest RegionalSeptember 25, 2017
TMC is a good company to work for. Plenty of opportunities to make a lot of money here. They do tarp a lot of their loads. Good equipment. No major complaints here.
good company but some downsides
Class A CDL OTR Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IA 50321September 24, 2017
Good company to work for, but reminder, they are like any other trucking company, they will work u to the bone and alot of times your hard work will not be appreciated.
Pros
good benifits, excellent equipment
Cons
not enough time on weekends
terrible company
Driver over the road (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 23, 2017
bottom line if you are in need of first time driving job look elsewhere.

they do not mind putting a load on you that pays 250.00 for a two day period....
Pros
new equipment
Cons
every thing else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TMC Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.