TMC Transportation Employee Reviews in United States

Great Job
Truck driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 28, 2014
This was the best career move that I made, unfortunately I was married and that it did not work out.
Pros
pay was very competitive
Cons
never home
Make good money but gone all the time
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 27, 2014
You control how you drive and time management. I learned how to properly secure loads and freight on a flatbed trailer. This allows for the safe travel and movement for thousands in valuable freight. The other drivers were always nice and professional in their work. Management wanted you to always go and your family came second to any work or loads that had to be shipped. The best thing about this job was being able to see the country but the hardest thing was being away from family for long periods of time.
They treat you great while you are making them money
Over the road driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines IAMay 14, 2015
They hire a lot of new drivers instead of trying to retain their seasoned drivers. It is a great place if you are new to pulling a flatbed or want to get into this type of trucking, but not the place for a seasoned flatbed driver.
Stay free at any one of there hotels
OTR Flatbed Truck Driver, Class A CDL (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 3, 2012
Work hard , and they will take care of ya. (In a good way) The hardest part of the job for me or really the most time consuming was tarping the loads. Time in truck driving is money,the longer your wheels arn't turning the less your making per week.The best part you meet and go to some very cool places. Trust me driving gets under your skin (In a good way)
Pros
first class outfit
Cons
away from home
Great Company, Great Management
Truck driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 13, 2014
TMC transportation is a very reputable company to work for, with great people, great training, and wonderful equipment. There was never a time in my time with TMC that I did not have work available to me. They offered me a great opportunity with getting my CDL experience.
Pros
good benefits, good training
As an intern, felt like I didn't exist
Fleet Manager Intern (Former Employee) –  Gaston, SCMarch 17, 2015
When I showed up for my first day of work, no one at the office knew I was starting that day, or that there even was going to be an intern. The person training me didn't have any experience in training interns so it was a poor experience overall.
productive
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  IAJune 16, 2012
On a typical work day I would start around 7am. I would make my first delivery then would contact my dispatcher to get information for my next pick up and drop off. Safety is the biggest part of my job. I didn't have much interaction with co-workers as I was an otr driver. The hardest part of my job was tarping my loads. The most enjoyable part of my job was everyday driving.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
home time
Go get it attitude
Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 30, 2015
I really enjoyed the work and the equiptment at this job. Made plenty of money and enjoyed the job. Everything was done in a timely manner and with respect for the driver.
Pros
able to work alone
Cons
away from home alot
Very Safety Oriented company, perfect career for those who do not mind being away from home
Commercial Flatbed Long haul driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 23, 2013
Responsibilities include local and long distance deliveries on tractor trailer for the following: Home Depot, Lowes, and other major construction companies hauling materials such as, Aluminum, Lumber, Shingles and roofing materials, Metal, Steel Coils and sheets, Steel Bars and columns, Sheet rock and Particle Boards,

Transport that a flatbed Tractor trailer was required for delivering
Hardest part of the job was being away form home for long periods of time,

Pay was excellent,

I learned a lot about safety and how important it is as a Truck Driver and now apply that in my daily life. It is a Very safety Oriented company,
Pros
i learned a lot about safety and how important it is as a tuck driver and now, i apply that in my daily life
Cons
hardest part of the job was being away form home for long periods of time
Better than most but still at the bottom
Driver (Current Employee) –  KyDecember 18, 2012
I somewhat enjoy working here but I learned to put up a lot on how they do things. When they say your family it's a lie because staff treats you as below them. If your lucky you will have a veteran fleet manager. If you get one of there college kids be prepared for low paying loads and forget home time cause these guys don't know trucking. It's true they are dubbed marine corp of trucking industry because you will do things their way or highway. Also get used to walking on eggs shells they love to be intimidate. Most part decent check,see the states, get experience, and move on.
Pros
good equipment and insurance
Cons
find myself giving more than getting, pay is average if you run hard, now tmc is using e logs and inge trucks run 62 mph so you better hope you got the patience.

Want to know more about TMC Transportation?

Ask a question
an adventuure
Flatbed Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 6, 2015
This was a job that i will always remember because of the the things I have learned. a real first rate company and I would recommend this workplace to anyone.
Standard semi wash-bay
Appearance Technician (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IowaMarch 1, 2015
Good group of guys to work with and accomplish daily goals. Daily break downs require you to fix problems immediately. Gained knowledge in mechanical break-downs. Supervisor only worked with week crew.
Pros
lunch breaks
Cons
no weekend supervisors
Hated this place
OTR driver/ trainer (Former Employee) –  Des moines IAFebruary 24, 2015
Used to make good money then that went away. Then the home time stoped and I would get stuck out for a month at a time with no loads. It my be diffrent now but I dont want to find out.
Cons
everything
Would not recommend
Class A Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 10, 2014
Work assignments handed out to top drivers first, hard to get into good standing with dispatchers unless you are willing to be out for long periods of time. They seem to hold it against you if you hold them to their policy of getting you home all but 6 weekends out of the year and poor definition of weekend (ie: saturday afternoon to sunday morning).
I miss my TMC Family
Logs Associate (Former Employee) –  Gaston, SCMarch 10, 2013
I have read all these reviews and I can not comment on what the drivers actually go thru with loads, dispatch, etc. but I can say I personally loved working at TMC. I have worked for several trucking company's big and small since I left there-due to a family move-but I would love to come back if I ever get the chance. To me this was Family, not just a Job. I loved my drivers and working with them and I loved my boss and co-workers and how well we all worked together. I came to TMC not knowing much about the trucking industry or logs but I got a lot of great help and training from my co-workers and drivers too.
Good place to start
Otr driver (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia paJanuary 9, 2013
I have been with tmc since October of 2012 in my opinion the company is a good start for anyone in the short time ive been here i have progressed i am already at 27% and im on my second month on my own tarping is challenging but gets easier pay is good but u gotta work for it doesnt come easy gotta run overall i like the company good foundation has a bit of a military order too it especially in orientation alot to learn in a short time . I would recomend this company to any one on a average i gross 1100 to 1200 weekly
Pros
pay people other drivers
Cons
tarping

Comment – January 14, 2013

1 How long do they keep you out? 2 They run E-logs? 3 How long is orientaion?

great place to work if you put the time in
Flat-bed Linehaul Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 24, 2014
i loved working here i made more money than any other job i've ever had. but you are expected to work and they don't want to hear any complaining. put in 16+ hrs a day
Pros
great money. best equipment.
Cons
34 hrs home isnt enough.. 14-20 hrs of that is spent sleeping
Godd company to drive for fresh out of school
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 12, 2015
Rigorous training, pretty good staff, very reputable, good moral, good equipment, and home 49 out of 52 weekends of the year. Hardest part of this job is having to deal with load securement.
Pros
good equipment
Cons
load securement
Interesting work place where I learned about the flat bed industry
Planner and load coordinator (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 19, 2013
Good people to work with. Management was sometimes difficult to work with.
not to bad
Truck Driver Class a (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 15, 2015
they aren't a bad company to work for if u like being gone all week me personally I wanted to be home with my kids everynight is why I left.
Pros
nice trucks
Cons
gone from home