TMC Transportation Employee Reviews

Can be a highly stressful job
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 6, 2016
Being an OTR-Driver can be and usually is a stressful job. Trying to meet appointments while fighting traffic and fatigue and even occasionally the dispatcher.
Pros
The money is decent
Cons
Money is unpredictable, away from family often
Very hard manual labor
Tractor Trailer driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 29, 2016
10-11 hours driving on the daily. Great place to learn how to strap different kinds of materials and strap them safely to a flatbed trailer. Learn different types of taping methods. Solid place to learn discipline and cleanliness. Management is great at communicating with drivers, they listen and respect your needs if they are reasonable. Met one of my best friends at the TMC orientation, we were two of 5 guys that were still working at TMC. I say this because we started with a class of 35 and after a year there were only 5 of us left. It is a job not for everybody. The hardest part of the job was winter months in upstate NY and Toronto Canada. Not to mention PA, MI, and IL, brutal winter elements. The lumber tarps feel like they way 170 lbs. soaked wet and full of snow and getting them on top of the trailer is no picnic. On the other hand I got to see some of the most beautiful sunsets and sunrises of my life, and got to enjoy the fresh while driving through the states.
Pros
great equipment
Cons
tough manual labor
Good Company for flatbed drivers
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXSeptember 25, 2016
Expect full days using all your clock time 14 hour workday. As a Texas dedicated I was paid CPM versus a percentage to the truck. You have to be OTR to get the percentage pay which comes out to more. Never had any major issues with the company. I enjoyed my time as a driver with this company.
Na
Logistics Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, ARAugust 22, 2016
I have nothing to say one way or another about TMC other than the location manager needs a lot of improvement and someone is going to get offended from the behavior.
great learning place with knowledgable technicians
Truck/Trailer Technician (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 17, 2016
All in all a great place the only reason I plan on leaving is to return home. My single complaint would be their top end pay is not competitive. besides that I have enjoyed my time spent with this company
Tmc
Class A CDL Truck Driver (Flatbed) (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 7, 2016
Tmc is a great company with many career opportunities, and I would highly recommend them to anyone interested in otr flatbed work.
Pros
Home every weekend
Cons
Away from home 5 days a week.
not a bad place to work
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  des moines, iaJuly 25, 2016
Tmc wasn't a bad place to work if you like staying away from your family long periods of time. I have a 2 year old and missed out on a lot with him when I was working their. To add the home time with them could have been a lot better
Pros
got to take truck home
Cons
not near enough home time
Started out good
Driver (Current Employee) –  Gaston,south carolinaJuly 17, 2016
Been with tmc for a few months the week of July 4th had a family emergency and they wanted me to deliver in Pennsylvania before going home in Mobile,alabama ...... Bust my butt to make ends meet and mention going home and they give you loads that pick up 200 miles further from home making it very hard to get home for decent home time ..... I have lost my house and my family dealing with this place
Pros
Nice equient
Cons
No home time
Fun, Clean and productive work place.
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 17, 2016
TMC really cares about their drivers. It doesn't matter if your a new or senior driver for TMC, they always treat you with great respect.
I've leaned how to optimize my drive time and secure many loads.(flatbed trailers)
Management is always wiling to listen and give you the best service while your out on the road. they are avilible when you need them most of the time.
Co-workers are always willing to help you whenever you may need it. the hardest part of the job can either be baking into tight bay doors or trying to find out where to enter a job site. easiest part of the job is securement once u understand the concept behind it.
good people professional people
foreman Class A driver heavy equipment opp. (Former Employee) –  IowaJuly 8, 2016
driving was fine Hated the places we had to use and visit-and lack of good food and exercise. great training understanding and thoughtful/helpful people.
Pros
good people professional good benefits
Cons
absolutely disgusting
Hard work for laborers
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 28, 2016
This is a not a job for the average pencil pusher, you will work in any kind of weather and you will live in your truck. You get to see all of America which is great and TMC is always willing to put you where you want to be. I remember my boss would ask me if I wanted to be at a beach or anywhere else. This was weekly, I was able to pick the destination every single time. Show me another company that has a freight distribution system like that.
Pros
Brand New Peterbilt 579
Cons
Difficult to see the family while on the road
Never home and very low pay
Flatbed CDL driver (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 10, 2016
I get home either LATE Friday or early Saturday morning and leave either Sunday or VERY EARLY Monday. The pay does NOT support a family. It might be a good job for someone homeless....they can live in the truck and have some food money!
Good job with abilities to move up
Over the Road Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 5, 2016
Started each day waking up and moving the loaded truck to next destination. The hardest part of job was being away from home. After working 12 years away from wife and two wonderful daughters, it was time to come home. I look forward to the next stage in life with a career choice in warehousing and logistics.
Pros
Insurance and benefits
Cons
Long hauls with little home time as OTR driver
Great Company
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GAMarch 4, 2016
Good company to work for. They work very hard to take care of their drivers. A lot of driving and some physical work required.
Pros
Home every weekend
Cons
Gone from home all week
Steady work
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Solon, OHFebruary 7, 2016
TMC trucking is a good company however they have slightly decreased pay over the years. Winter time slows down and effects pay checks.
Over the road
Flatbed Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee) –  CTDecember 4, 2015
Hard to find a balance life and work. Only home on the week ends and missing lots of time with the family. Typical day at work wake up at the customer location get unloaded the let dispatcher know to pick your next load.
Demanding and Challenging
Professional Driver (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 2, 2015
Operating a commercial vehicle with a flatbed trailer. Strapping, chaining and tarping loads. Most people at the company have a holier than thou attitude, especially at the corporate headquarters. Forced dispatch and no say so in what loads you get. Started off good, ended up hating it.
Pros
good money if you live in the right area
Cons
everything else
great till your hurt
driver (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CONovember 29, 2015
great company to work for if you entry level or experienced. loads are good, pays good, and good home time for where i was located. had a few fleet a mangers till i got a good one, its sad a company will hold a fleet manager solo responsibly for a driver quitting for personal issues. their do care about their image then how you actually prevented an accident or refused to engage in road rage. If you get hurt on the job in home depot is responsible for the accident, well suck to be you, you're fired and on top of that they refuse to pay the workmans comp that pays for hip surgery cause their loaders messed up. 140k$ for the surgery and took you truck and your stuff and they want you to come and get it at des moine termnail. took them to court twice for what i thought was right, and won of coures. sooooooo if you work for them and you get hurt dont say anything. i ened up with an other flatbed company based out of denver and their about the same but their care for the empolyee is way more then TMC. Do your self a faovr and apply to melton or systems
Pros
great pay and home time
Cons
lack of ownership for emplyees getting hurt at shipper
Good to work for.
CDL licensed truck driver (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 12, 2015
The company really works good and has good freight. Dispachers work hard for you. The only thing I can say bad is that it is still a long haul job. It just didn't work for me.
Pay is not great
Regional Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 4, 2015
Too much BS. Mandatory weekly truck wash, frequent loss of a days wages due to inspection of cab cleanliness. Too much downtime without compensation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TMC Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.