TMI Hospitality Employee Reviews in United States

Great Work Enviroment until new managment took over
Front Desk Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXMarch 8, 2016
The company seems, going in, very rewarding and full of potential.
Starwood recently bought the once employee owned business and almost immediately after there was a noticeable change in moral.
The corporate office will do anything to back upper management even when they are in the wrong. At my property specifically there was obvious discrimination going on. The Area director higherd a Hispanic woman in hopes to be able to communicate more efficiently with the guests and housekeeping. Since She came in, there has been nothing but Hispanic people being hired and white and black people being disciplined and weeded out. Despite my efforts to bring this to HRs attention, this issue is still going on. It is obvious now that corporate will brush it under the rug because they cannot afford another hotel to not have a General Manager.
Pros
Hotel expirience
Cons
everything else
Ok place to work as temporary job
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  MSPFebruary 20, 2016
I say ok because it truly is really is a great place to work at least at my property. Management is good try and do everything for employees but TMI management on the other hand I do not like anymore. 2016 they doubled my ins premium unless you are a non smoker... they do not pay enough to live off. I live on my own and I cannot even afford rent & groceries so I am living in poverty and working full time. That does not seem right thus why I shall be leaving very very soon. The hotel is gunna replace me fine and dandy but I am a very strong asset to company and I know this, so the hotel reviews which TMI cares soooo much about is going to suffer greatly. Working in hotels is hard enough for management with high turn over rates they shouldn't be forcing there best employees to leave cause they are too cheap to pay us a livable wage, soon won't be my problem though. I would not recommend working for this company.
Pros
Marriott Discount
Cons
Cheap pay, no breaks when your alone during shift
Negative environment
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TexasJune 24, 2016
Worked for a short amount of time with the company. NEVER working for a hotel again. Poor management, poor training, no team work and no breaks. Expected to be perfect at everything you do after a short amount of time being employed. Management makes you feel worthless and never compliments you on the good things you do only the bad. Front desk has one person for each shift, leaving one person taking care of answering phones, checking in guest, cleaning lobby area, doing laundry and taking guest items they need. Alot of changes need to be made within the company. The Marriot has been one of the WORST companys I have ever worked for.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, poor training, no breaks
The worse experance working for tmi hospitality in midland texas
Ex (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXJuly 19, 2016
#1 bad management at home2 and Fairfield inn Midland Texas there is a lot of favoritism and behind kissing there. all the good employees had to leave employment because of management wrong doing. and said they have a open door policy that's not true. When u need them the most the managers are are not there they make up problems they talk about you behind your back . instead of them helping u with problems they just make it worse there is a lot of childish games there no professionals. me and also the other employees that agree with this has worked in hotels for years longer than most and us that worked in the hotels work and we are good employees not like this at these properties for tmi in Midland Texas there's more to this issue but and more to say but to sum it up anyone looking for employment in hotels DO NOT WORK at tmi propertys in Midland the managers will do u wrong. Just keep in mind there more than just me that think the same about these places.
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHMarch 20, 2016
I worked for TMI in the last year and it was not what they portray to be. Being hired into a new company, everything is new and that showed in management. Management was young and unsure of what to do. They gossiped just as much as employees did and have done it around me. They never took personal issues into consideration and was just more focused on if you were able to work your shift or not. I have had several emergency incidents where they were anything but supportive. They expect too much out of one person. Management would always leave around 6 PM with no one but front desk to be there. They were very unprofessional in the way they handle certain situations. The pay was okay but management can really have an effect on their employees and make your job miserable. They always say we are a "team" but there was absolutely no team where I worked. It was just "me myself and I." Management would do whatever they pleased, even leaving when wanting too, going to get lunch or do what they wanted. As I sometimes worked over 8 hours I would never get a break. They expect you to be at the front desk but also do a lot of other tasks. Working for TMI overall is not too bad, but working under the wrong management group can really bring the company down.
Pros
Making friendships with different guests
great place to work
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 8, 2016
I currently work for Tmi yes the pay can be improved but its all in what you make it. The property I work for is great. Management can be a pill at times but for the most part their great too. Its a part time job for me so I can't really complain about the hours as a fulltime employee with partime hours it actually works out well for me. You have a lot of room for advancement and you do get annual raises and their retirement package is great. Overall I'd say I enjoy my job and id hope to stay there for many years to come
Pros
great staff, discounts, flexible hours
Cons
pay
Broken promises and third world pay
Employee (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma CityAugust 4, 2015
This company preaches support, training, encouragement, and guest satisfaction. The true story is that they make promises and gauerentees of advancement and compensation then when it comes down to it the exscuses are never ending on why it can not happen. Their motto is "impressing guests" but they bandaid problems and expect on site hotel leadership to take the fall when explaining to the guest or the brands. All and all this is a large company with to many SOP's and not enough corporate support. Always "passing the buck". They have a good idea but no execution. Hopefully now that they have been sold to Starwood Capital Group they will implement changes that make it a better company to work for.
Pros
Large company
Cons
All of the above
Unfair and not a decent Company
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Texas AreaFebruary 18, 2016
Very unfair Company. The hotel that I worked in got sold. The employees did not get an official notification from anyone. We were thrown to the new owners and left without Health insurance, 402 and our salaries went way down and so much more. We did't even get an opportunity or option to search for a new job and of course we couldn't go unemployment anymore and that is what, it seems by not notifying us, TMI didn't want us to do.
Pros
Health insurance and 401 was very good.
Cons
Managers are totally inexperienced, you can't go up in the Co, always bring inexperienced Managers from somewhere else
Excellent Management Company
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KY 41102May 5, 2016
TMI is a wonderful management company to work for and with. They truly care about management and employees. The company is great about training management and giving the support that is needed to manage a property. I just happened to be hired to manage a property that is troublesome at the local level.
Pros
Growing and caring company
Cons
Each property is different! Some great - Some horrible
Terrible place to work
Front Desk Agent/ Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 24, 2015
TMI Hospitality is one of the worst places to work. The pay and benefits package is terrible and it would be a stretch to call the compensation "a living wage".
In addition, there is no work/life balance, and advancement opportunities are very slow and nearly nonexistent.
The management is lazy and incompetent and will put off most duties on their employees.
Loved my job most of the time
GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXApril 12, 2016
The hardest part of the job was managing people, both employees and guests. Support staff in corporate were a bit out of touch with the realities of running a hotel. My typical day was from 7am to 4pm or later depending on needs. Every day was something different and that is what I loved about the job.
Pros
Learned a lot out P&L, etc.
Cons
Long hours and on call 24 hours a day
general manager, fairfield inn's and suites
night audit (Former Employee) –  St. Cloud, MNDecember 30, 2015
I have been working with company since mid October of this year
there is a lot of fake employer, they say one thing to your face and something behind your back. In training they tell you one thing how to do things and when your on your own you do it the way you were trained is wrong .They seem to have their stuff together. I fill that I was miss lead into how I do things on night audit!!!!I will never have any of my family or friends stay at this hotel. The hotel that I worked at NEEDS A NEW GENERAL MANAGER big time.
Pros
the knowlge that i have i can go else were.
Cons
not beeing able to provid good service to the guest
Terrible cheap company
Guest Service Agent/Front Desk (Current Employee) –  Houston, TxJune 7, 2015
Company is very cheap and is very unconcerned about front desk. Job duties include all types of things that goes on in the hotel. Pay and benefits make you regret taking the job, co workers don't work as a team and bicker like crazy, hotel itself is ok, only thing about the company is that there is a lot of room for advancement if considering making hospitality a career. I'd preferably go with a bigger and better company. My experience here has been less than fair.
Pros
half off market items
Cons
No breaks, low wages, lazy co workers
Unorganized
breakfast host (Former Employee) –  Germantown, TNDecember 26, 2015
I started this job recently, no training, no team work, other hotel employees come eat from the breakfast bar while guest are present. I was never properly trained until they wanted me to clean up and pick up the full time persons slack. I was hired part time only given extra hours if the full time person didn't want the hours, which means I worked holidays and the days after with little training. Guest service scores are LOW. I can see Marriott pulling their flag from this property very soon. The Springhill should be closed down immediately
Pros
the property next door is well organized
Cons
no sense of urgency, dirty
n/a
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Champaign County, ILJuly 15, 2016
n/a not available as I do not wish to elaborate about private matters. this should not be part of applying of another position
Pros
Cons
enough
Lacking Management That Cares
Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 4, 2016
-Terrible shifts with no management at night
-By 5 there is only one person on staff until 7 AM
-Low pay for a plethora of duties given to any employee
Horrible management company to work for.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TexasSeptember 17, 2015
Please do not work for this company. The pay is very low compared to the other franchised hotel management companies. The benefits are not good. There is no room for advancement. They want you work like you're at a 5 star hotel but they pay you like you're working at motel 6. There is no team work. The managers seem to only care about themselves and how they can secure there job. The turnover rate is high. They lose the best employees to there competition right up the street ! They don't pay any overtime at all! You'll get written up if you go over you're time. There holiday pay system is horrible and unheard of in hospitality. Even the management says there not paid enough for the amount of work they have to do. The particular hotel I was at was always understaffed and nobody would stay longer than a month. The housekeeping department was terrible and the rooms were filthy. No one liked there job and no one cared. Yet the managers would go out on there outings and get drunk and party. They don't care to spend money for the hotel to improve thing's. The particular property I was at. The engineering staff was excellent. But management still harrased them like they weren't working or doing there job or didn't work like they wanted them to work. They did there job very well and had alot of knowledge and experience when it came to hotel engineering. Which was very rare because every other hotel, the engineering staff is lazy! Please don't work here. They based there employees performance on reviews of there guest. Its hopitality.. People will complain!!! No matter how hard you  more... work to meet there needs.They don't appreciate there employees and they will fire you for dumb reasons if you try to challenge there word or even if you're not working like they want you to even though you do you're job. This was my first time working for a franchise management Marriott hotel and I'll never do it again. I am now back working for Marriott International. A corporate managed property. Besides Marriott International. There's one other franchised management I'll recommend and that is Concord Hospitality. I have a friend who works for them and says there just as good as corporate.  less
Pros
Rooms discounts
Cons
Low pay, incompetent management, no teamwork, no holiday pay, no overtime, cheap company
Watch your back with this Company, especially the ones that run the Texas area!
Sales (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 10, 2015
No matter how well you do your job, you never feel secure. They manage with intimidation and will twist facts to try and make you look inadequate.
Cons
Management, high turnover, heavy job load, low morale
The pool is the best thing there is..
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  SPRINGFIELD SUITES at LANGHORNE paFebruary 9, 2016
THIS JOB ONLY PAYS 8.25 an hour and only hires housekeeping with no experience no overtime u can't get eighty hours and yet along when it's slow they call off there BEST housekeepers and keep bombs I never seen a hotel like this they do no drug test or background checks let any body inn ......
Laid back, yet professional
Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mankato, minnesotaSeptember 25, 2015
I am a maintenance engineer for them. To date, I feel that my opinions are respected as well as my time. My management is very open and up front with their expectations. They actually take pride in what they are doing which is very refreshing. I feel engaged on a daily basis and the quality of tools/repairs is actually done right.
Pros
Scheduling, creativity, respect
Cons
Industry standard pay

2.8