TOLEDO PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

I have had many positive experiences while being employed at Toledo Public Schools.
Intervention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHJune 22, 2017
One of the most remarkable aspects of working at Toledo Public Schools is the constant effort to improve and make changes as needed in order to give students the best education as possible. This is done through professional development that the is offered on a regular basis in which there is follow-up to check if new implementations are working. Cluster meetings are also a plus as teacher discuss how they can teach students across the curriculum and make decide how to work with individual students if necessary. The commitment of the teaching staff is incredible as they are always willing to give it one more try even when it seems the odds are stacked up.
Pros
Specialist work together in an effort to make sure students are in the best position to learn.
Substitute teaching
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJune 15, 2017
Teach students according to regular teacher lesson's plans.
Manage classroom, learned how to deal with all types of students, the hardest part of the job was getting the students to listen to a sub, the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to go to different schools regularly.
Pros
Traveling to different schools
Cons
low pay and no benefits
Tough place to work
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHMay 10, 2017
I was a substitute teacher so neither management nor the teachers union backed me or gave me support. The kids were likable but usually had personal problems. As a sub I taught what was left to me by the main teacher.
Pros
The kids were spirited
Cons
sometimes too spirited
Toledo Public Schools job training
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHMay 3, 2017
I participated in a non-paid work program were I learned many job skills. I had good coaching reports and will be an outstanding worker.
I am willing to learn more job skills at a new employer.
Pros
Great learning experience
Great school district
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHMay 2, 2017
Toledo Public Schools’ mission is to produce competitive college and career ready graduates through a rigorous curriculum across all grade levels by implementing Ohio’s New Learning Standards with fidelity.Toledo Public Schools strives to be an ‘A-rated’ school district whose graduates are college and career ready.

Student Centered
Great hours
Speech Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHApril 3, 2017
Great school hours for elementary, 9-3! Great staff to work with. The worst thing is hay they don't close very often for snow days where surrounding schools do.
meeting new people
Substitute teacher/Long-term Substitute (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHMarch 29, 2017
You have to initiate yourself as a long-term sub. If you are not willing to seek out help you. There is a lot I did not know and sometimes it was difficult to find people who had the time to help you. Other teachers were busy as well so you had to find a helpful face among the many to assist you. I had to learn a lot of technology that was relevant for the job.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no planning hour some days, long meetings
Fabulous
Licensed K-12 Teacher (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHMarch 29, 2017
It has been a blessing to work at TPS! I have advanced my technological skills in the teaching and learning environment. Specifically, I have created content specific virtual classrooms for my students to facilitate the teaching and learning process while differentiating so that students could work to there abilities.
Pros
Air Conditioning
Cons
Older students need recess
Good
Educational Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHMarch 19, 2017
Good job to have but it can have to much gossiping going on. They have mostly nice teachers and staff that is willing to help and work with you with what ever you need.
Growing Environment
Executive Administrative Assistant Toledo (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHMarch 7, 2017
My passion for the education of our youth is what drives me to wake up and work everyday. The highlight of my day is assisting individuals to become the best and perform the best for our children.
Benefits
Cons
Initial hiring process
Opportunity for organizational effectiveness for the youth
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHJanuary 28, 2017
Opportunity for organizational effectiveness for the youth.
Internal conflict is stalling growth of our youth. Taking away from the mission. Teaching our youth for college and career readiness.
Pros
Opportunity to work with youth in Title 1 schools
Cons
politics
In the past was a good place to work. With now administration in place lack of respect of employees system has gone done hill.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHNovember 14, 2016
TPS has become a place where you now lack job security. Administration cares only for itself. Only good things is weekends and holidays off. System needs to be revamped Entirely new administration put in place. One who cares about their employees, and better pay for all!
Pros
weekends and holidays off
Cons
back biting, disrespect for employees, cheating employees regarding pay, has become a corrupt system
Worth working with the kids
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHNovember 7, 2016
Although my current administrative seems to have no idea what is really going on and they like to scare their staff, I love going to work to see my students. Connecting with them and teaching them something new is very rewarding. The pay however is not, I must say that the pay is very underappreciated for my position.
Pros
Paid Lunch
Cons
Get in the middle of a fight
Great Place to work
Campus Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHSeptember 23, 2016
Great place to work being able to work around people who want to help others is very rewarding. Love being a mentor to youth and helping them with problems they might have.
Pros
Mentoring
Cons
See the youth struggles
Working with the Toledo Public Schools was by far the best experience I had in the job market
School Community Partner (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHAugust 24, 2016
My experience as a advocate, school community partner and President of the Parent Teacher Organization was very self rewarding. As a school community partner I was responsible for connecting the community, teachers, parents and students to form a network that promoted parent involvement and community participation. Soon elected to PTO, president I quickly gain the support of the teachers, staff, students and parents for without that support, fundraising thousands of dollars over a period of three years would have been impossible.
Pros
teamwork and leadership skills was the greatest asset
Cons
maintaining positivity.
Productive and team oriented
AmeriCorps Graduation Coach United Way (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHAugust 22, 2016
I had a great time during my contract year with the organization and learned many ways of leadership. There was a lot of people working together to help students achieve success in school.
Cons
1 year contract, stipend
experiienced and enjoyable
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OH 43612June 22, 2016
I have been with tps for five years. I have learned so much. I love working with children and staff. they allow you to grow and move up. education is always an optiom t o further your career and goals.
Pros
union
Cons
short breaks
Great Job, Great Benefits
Substitute Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  6500 Hill Ave Toledo, OH 43615June 14, 2016
TPS has a very hectic work schedule, As a Sub, you never know what route you will be driving from day to day. My co-workers are willing to jump in and give advice and directions at a moments notice. The hardest part of the Job is Navigating the City, going down streets that I've past, but never had to actually traverse.
Pros
My Co-Workers, are always willing to help and advise.
Cons
Being a Bus Driver, you have a big break between taking the children to school, and picking them up.
Challenging
Para-Professional (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHMay 31, 2016
I've been working for Toledo Public Schools for the past 18 years and 9 months. I have been working with Mentally/Physically challenged students. This particular position requires lifting, changing diapers, receiveing abuse from some students which are behaviorally challenged. At this time in my life, it is my desire to pursue forward in the field of my degree which is Business Mgt.
Pros
Being able to share love with the students.
Cons
To repetitive. Our daily schedule rarely shifts. It 's very mendacious
great placed to work
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHMay 9, 2016
If you have a passion for working with children, Toledo Public schools are a great place to work. They strive to be an A+ school district and take pride in what they do.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TOLEDO PUBLIC SCHOOLS. Our community is ready to answer.

TOLEDO PUBLIC SCHOOLS Reviews by Location