TOLEDO PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employee Reviews in United States

Great Job, Great Benefits
Substitute Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  6500 Hill Ave Toledo, OH 43615June 14, 2016
TPS has a very hectic work schedule, As a Sub, you never know what route you will be driving from day to day. My co-workers are willing to jump in and give advice and directions at a moments notice. The hardest part of the Job is Navigating the City, going down streets that I've past, but never had to actually traverse.
Pros
My Co-Workers, are always willing to help and advise.
Cons
Being a Bus Driver, you have a big break between taking the children to school, and picking them up.
Unproductive environment; destroys the brilliance of kids and staff
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHMay 1, 2016
Stagnant district; no true leadership at the building or district levels. Status quo maintained at the cost of creativity and progression. Administrators are bred through an in-house selection and development process which leads to continued mediocrity and limited outside influence.
Pros
You can be the worst employee and keep your job
Cons
You can be the worst employee and keep your job
Challenging but Fun
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHMay 4, 2016
Did not think I would like daily substituting but I did. Not soon after I was offered a long-term position that is presented with many benefits. When daily subbing, every day is different. Long-term positions give you a sense of consistency. Also, there is the benefit of building a relationship with the students.
Pros
Interacting and making an impact in children's lives
Cons
Possibility of taking work home with you
Very great place to work awesome coworkers
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHApril 13, 2016
My job was very challanging but also very rewarding the students that I was able to work with were truly incrediable and taught me that anything is possable. My cworkers were great everyone worked well together.

The best part of my job was seeing that the students learned from what I helped teach them.
Long-Term Placement Teacher (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJanuary 22, 2016
You seek to satisfy curriculum goals/objectives for each student while managing behaviors. Challenges and rewards are equal due to the joy experienced when a child reaches and/or exceeds his/her academic expectation.
For those who underachieve by choice or otherwise, it provokes a more in-depth and deliberate approach to provoke awareness and change within the child.
Pros
Learning can be fun, excited and celebrated
Cons
Some student disruptive behaviors can hinder other students from achieving their peak potential
Education experience for preschool students and myself
Substitute Para-Professional (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHDecember 15, 2015
I assisted the Lead Teacher with a variety of support functions. I assisted with curriculum, and daily classroom routine. I learned that every child learns differently, which makes my job fun. I get to explore different methods and styles of teaching and learning. I enjoyed working with the lead teacher, she was very helpful. There wasn't really a hard part to my job, the only thing I wanted was more than just one day. I was a sub para, and loved the different personalities of all the children.
Pros
One on one attention as often as possible
Cons
Some preschools do not have full day, only half days
experiienced and enjoyable
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OH 43612June 22, 2016
I have been with tps for five years. I have learned so much. I love working with children and staff. they allow you to grow and move up. education is always an optiom t o further your career and goals.
Pros
union
Cons
short breaks
great placed to work
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHMay 9, 2016
If you have a passion for working with children, Toledo Public schools are a great place to work. They strive to be an A+ school district and take pride in what they do.
Following budgets, data entry, supervisor of many people.
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHApril 24, 2015
I learned many things with my employment at TPS. I started out as a clerk, and when I retired I was an executive secretary to an executive director. The best thing about TPS was if you didn't know how to do something, you were not criticized for it, but was kindly and patiently shown the correct way to do it. I had many good friends there and enjoyed my 23 years of employment with them.
Pros
Good benefits, good wages, great learning experience.
Cons
I can't think of a con.
I have worked in a professional job for 35 years. I retired from that position two years ago. I would like a part time job to earn some extra money.
speech language pathologist slp (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHOctober 29, 2015
My job at Toledo Public Schools consisted of a full day of work most of the year. It was demanding and caused me to bring work home every night. I feel I am young enough to work but don't want that level of employment and time commitment.
Pros
extra money, gets me out of the house.
Cons
weekend work but i am willing to do this.
Teacher
Social Studies Teacher (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHNovember 7, 2015
Its nice working with other teachers who have the same interests, who understand what you do and are willing to help when you need it. The difficulties of the job are enforcing student discipline, and effectively dealing with distractions such as earbuds and cellphones in the classroom.
Teacher aid to special education students (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHSeptember 22, 2015
Teacher aid to special ED, MD Performed the day to day
operational tasks to ensure optimum operation of the wastewater treatment plant. This is an extended
aeration package plant with chlorine disinfection, with a flow of 0.5 mgd.
Very Memorable Teaching Career
Professional Educator (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHSeptember 3, 2014
Teaching at Toledo Public Schools was a very challenging and rewarding experience for me. My superiors were highly competent, kind, and most supportive of me as one of their teachers. They made reporting to work each day throughout the years so enjoyable for me, I looked forward to coming to work each day.
I taught both French and English Composition at the Secondary Level. My students truly enjoyed learning their above listed subject matters, and approached them with vigor.
As students graduated from high school, many came back later to personally thank me in preparing them for their collegiate studies.
Pros
throughly enjoyed watching my students grow in theiri mastery of the french language, culture, and history. over the years, some followed in my footsteps, and went on to become french teachers as well.
Cons
the threat of union teacher strikes was always on everyone's mind.
great to have a hand in student education
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OhioFebruary 3, 2012
Love my job, changes making more difficult, not sure if I will have the opportunity to reach retirement, I enjoy working in the schools and Board Of Ed, work with some great people and students, harder and harder financially to stay here, If things don't get better cannot stay here. It's not looking up. Moral is worse that ever.
Pros
work week, hours, holidays with family, good people, close to home
Cons
salary cuts, make less after 11 yrs, benefits, financially strained, not as enjoyable, low moral, loss of common sense decisions, not for the whole but chosen few, not knowing if will be able retire, cuts to deep
worked on windows 7
It Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHFebruary 6, 2015
worked shortly with the technicians but they were friendly and a great help to work with.

pushed window 7 to re-imaged pc's

didn't get to see the full spectrum of management but the one's i met were great.
fixing problems with pc's not functioning properly memory installing old or new.
Pros
good people and a city job
Cons
was cut short.
Teaching has become a difficult, stressful job. The State of Ohio has demanded very strenuous requirements.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHApril 10, 2015
Teaching used to be fun and a wonderful opportunity for creativity. Now it is basically all about testing, testing results, having to convince students that testing is important... Students themselves can be the most enjoyable part of teaching. Teachers try to support one another and get together socially.
Pros
Breaks throughout the year
Cons
Testing, short lunch/time without students to plan
Lesson planning, and Classroom Management
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  All Toledo Public Schools as a substitute teacherAugust 8, 2013
A typical day at work is finding the lesson plans and attendance sheet in order to know the materials the students need to get through the day. The lesson plans are on level for the students along with a class list with students names and a seating chart for the order of the students seats in case of a problem or emergency due to behavior problems or medical issues. That brings to mind another issue behavior charts are very important to maintain classroom management. The lesson plan is helpful with a schedule to know other activities and restroom breaks for the students.

Throughout the years , I have learned different lesson plans ,seating charts , and behavior plans. Some lesson plans aren't coordinating with the students' skill levels so I might have to change the lesson plans to meet the students' needs. The seating charts are missing so I have to make my own or monitor the students behaviors to see if the seat is right for them. Now behavior plans are so important and necessary for classroom management due the students' behaviors that need to be monitored in order to keep the classroom on task.

As I mentioned above the lesson plan, seating chart, and behavior plan need to be in place to keep classroom management. The other teachers are good to have for support throughout the day in case of a behavior problem or lesson plan alternative. The principal needs to be an authoritarian in order for the students to know when to stop and follow direction when send to them on a referral.

However, the co-workers are helpful at times with the lesson plan if there is a problem. On
  more... the other hand, the co-worker don't know anything about the students so you have to find out from the students. It is so refreshing when you can use the other teachers' classrooms for behavior problems,

The hardest part of the job is finding no lesson plans.The students are out of control with no behavior plan. When there are too many students in the classroom, they need a lot of help because the lesson plan isn't correlating with their skill levels. In addition, the substitute teacher has no benefits or unemployment benefits. I believe that I work hard so I deserve unemployment benefits if I need them or not.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when the lesson plans, the seating charts, and behavior plans are exactly right for the students. The students are on task, responsible, and respectful. When I can reach the students, I feel that I have accomplished something. I have impacted the students' lives forever to teach them something that will be with them for the rest of their lives. In conclusion, the Toledo Public Schools are very flexible about time off and substitute teaching.
I learned how to manage a classroom
Paraprofessional/Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJanuary 22, 2015
Highly trained in differentiated instruction to meet the needs of all students. Broad base of teaching skills including critical thinking, classroom management and alternative assessment/rubrics.
Community environment; working together to help families
Class 3 Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHJuly 18, 2013
A typical day at work would be tracking the events withing the building to make ensure the safety and productiveness withing the building. The co-workers are up-beat and excited about their jobs. The hardest part of the job was the swing shifts. I enjoyed the benefits and the pay.
Pros
the location; downtown area, close to restaurants and shops
Cons
swing shifts
A lot of ups and downs
Marketing and business teacher where (Former Employee) –  Scott, Libbey and Waite High Schools, Toledo, OHNovember 1, 2014
Typical day included teaching 6 class in computer lab. Five were some type of computer class and the other one was a financial responsibility class. I learned that most students want to learn if you show them and teach them in a manner that they are receptive to.
The hardest part of the job was that many students were absent and then returned once in a while and were not really interested in learning. They were among the most disruptive students and caused many problem in classroom. Many parents were not responsive to these issues. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the vast majority of the students learn new skills that they could use for the rest of their lives.
Pros
interaction with students and seeing them learn.
Cons
not being able to reach all students.

TOLEDO PUBLIC SCHOOLS Reviews by Location