TOLEDO PUBLIC SCHOOLS

TOLEDO PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

Instructor
Teacher (Former Employee), Toledo, OHJune 4, 2015
Responsible for providing instruction, managing the classroom environment, and promoting student learning in the absence of the regular classroom teacher
Following budgets, data entry, supervisor of many people.
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee), Toledo, OHApril 24, 2015
Pros: Good benefits, good wages, great learning experience.
Cons: I can't think of a con.
I learned many things with my employment at TPS. I started out as a clerk, and when I retired I was an executive secretary to an executive director. The best thing about TPS was if you didn't know how to do something, you were not criticized for it, but was kindly and patiently shown the correct way to do it. I had many good friends there and enjoyed my 23 years of employment with them.
Teaching has become a difficult, stressful job. The State of Ohio has demanded very strenuous requirements.
Teacher (Current Employee), Toledo, OHApril 10, 2015
Pros: Breaks throughout the year
Cons: Testing, short lunch/time without students to plan
Teaching used to be fun and a wonderful opportunity for creativity. Now it is basically all about testing, testing results, having to convince students that testing is important... Students themselves can be the most enjoyable part of teaching. Teachers try to support one another and get together socially.
worked on windows 7
It Tech Support (Former Employee), Toledo, OHFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: good people and a city job
Cons: was cut short.
worked shortly with the technicians but they were friendly and a great help to work with.

pushed window 7 to re-imaged pc's

didn't get to see the full spectrum of management but the one's i met were great.
fixing problems with pc's not functioning properly memory installing old or new.
I learned how to manage a classroom
Paraprofessional/Teacher's Aide (Former Employee), Toledo, OHJanuary 22, 2015
Highly trained in differentiated instruction to meet the needs of all students. Broad base of teaching skills including critical thinking, classroom management and alternative assessment/rubrics.
A day in the life of a substitute teacher
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee), Toledo, OHJanuary 4, 2015
Working with kids K-12, following lesson plans and executing them on a daily basis.
A lot of ups and downs
Marketing and business teacher where (Former Employee), Scott, Libbey and Waite High Schools, Toledo, OHNovember 1, 2014
Pros: interaction with students and seeing them learn.
Cons: not being able to reach all students.
Typical day included teaching 6 class in computer lab. Five were some type of computer class and the other one was a financial responsibility class. I learned that most students want to learn if you show them and teach them in a manner that they are receptive to.
The hardest part of the job was that many students were absent and then returned once in a while and were not really interested in learning. They were among the most disruptive students and caused many problem in classroom. Many parents were not responsive to these issues. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the vast majority of the students learn new skills that they could use for the rest of their lives.
A great place to work
Substitute Teacher/Home Instructor (Former Employee), Toledo, OHOctober 15, 2014
Pros: flexibility
Cons: as a substitute teacher you did not receive medical
Aid students with class and homework. Working at Toledo Public Schools enhanced my teaching abilities.
Very Memorable Teaching Career
Professional Educator (Former Employee), Toledo, OHSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: throughly enjoyed watching my students grow in theiri mastery of the french language, culture, and history. over the years, some followed in my footsteps, and went on to become french teachers as well.
Cons: the threat of union teacher strikes was always on everyone's mind.
Teaching at Toledo Public Schools was a very challenging and rewarding experience for me. My superiors were highly competent, kind, and most supportive of me as one of their teachers. They made reporting to work each day throughout the years so enjoyable for me, I looked forward to coming to work each day.
I taught both French and English Composition at the Secondary Level. My students truly enjoyed learning their above listed subject matters, and approached them with vigor.
As students graduated from high school, many came back later to personally thank me in preparing them for their collegiate studies.
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Toledo, OHAugust 5, 2014
pay 13.88 hr get 30-40 hrs week pay every other week has to have patience and be able to work with kids only part-time but its a part time job with full-time benefits
unproductive work environments; assembly line environment
Intervention Specialist, McTigue Elementary (Current Employee), Toledo, OHJune 12, 2014
Pros: will hire anyone with a bachelors
Cons: will hire anyone with a bachelors
top down management style, antiquated methods of hiring; lack of vision and ability to advance students or employees
Toledo Public Schools
Toledo Public Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Toledo, OHJune 11, 2014
Pros: the art of teaching and meeting educational and emotional needs of students
Cons: finding seasonal work
I love subbing for TPS. The school system offers a wide assortment of personalities with the students and staff.
Teaching middle school
Tutor (Former Employee), Toledo, OHApril 11, 2014
Pros: great students
Cons: work more than you are paid
Great helping students learn and molding the mind of future leaders. Teaching requires working through the day and grading and doing lesson plans after hours.
Great school, terrible community partners
AOD Case Manager (Former Employee), Toledo, OHMarch 18, 2014
I enjoyed every bit of working with students, courts and school administrators. I did not enjoy working community partners at all.
My summary is listed below
Intervention Specialist (Current Employee), Toledo, OHJanuary 4, 2014
A typical day at work is a warm learning environment with 15 male students . They are in grades fourth through eight. We normally start out with a morning greeting. Next we move on to the reading circles, phonics, vocabualry, reading aloud and disccusions. Students create a circle to continue their morning meeting with a sharing activity and small moving acitvity. The students then move into math. I typically start this activity off with a small video clip of the lesson and allow students to actually visualize the concept before modeling the activity. Students are allowed to practice the activity individually.
The hardest part of my job is keeping students motivated daily.
The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing student learn concepts and grow in both subject areas( math and reading) based on weekly data.
I learned that students like movement and new ideas and challenges .
My co-workers seem to think that I am a very hard working teacher.
Mixed comittment to student centered education between administration and union
o District Science Director - Acting (Former Employee), Toledo, OHSeptember 9, 2013
Most peers are top-notched. Union issues allows maintaining staff who are not student focused. Administrative union still allows friendships to rise above better qualified individuals.Environment could, and should, be better for the districts customers (students)... System is not customer driven as well as it should be.
For the love of the kids.
Educator (Former Employee), Toledo, OHSeptember 2, 2013
Pros: at the end of the year knowing you did your best
Cons: lack of parent involvement
Everyday was focused on facilitating the kids in learning and preparing for the infamous State Tests.
Lesson planning, and Classroom Management
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), All Toledo Public Schools as a substitute teacherAugust 8, 2013
A typical day at work is finding the lesson plans and attendance sheet in order to know the materials the students need to get through the day. The lesson plans are on level for the students along with a class list with students names and a seating chart for the order of the students seats in case of a problem or emergency due to behavior problems or medical issues. That brings to mind another issue behavior charts are very important to maintain classroom management. The lesson plan is helpful with a schedule to know other activities and restroom breaks for the students.

Throughout the years , I have learned different lesson plans ,seating charts , and behavior plans. Some lesson plans aren't coordinating with the students' skill levels so I might have to change the lesson plans to meet the students' needs. The seating charts are missing so I have to make my own or monitor the students behaviors to see if the seat is right for them. Now behavior plans are so important and necessary for classroom management due the students' behaviors that need to be monitored in order to keep the classroom on task.

As I mentioned above the lesson plan, seating chart, and behavior plan need to be in place to keep classroom management. The other teachers are good to have for support throughout the day in case of a behavior problem or lesson plan alternative. The principal needs to be an authoritarian in order for the students to know when to stop and follow direction when send to them on a referral.

However, the co-workers are helpful at times with the lesson plan if there is a problem. On – more... the other hand, the co-worker don't know anything about the students so you have to find out from the students. It is so refreshing when you can use the other teachers' classrooms for behavior problems,

The hardest part of the job is finding no lesson plans.The students are out of control with no behavior plan. When there are too many students in the classroom, they need a lot of help because the lesson plan isn't correlating with their skill levels. In addition, the substitute teacher has no benefits or unemployment benefits. I believe that I work hard so I deserve unemployment benefits if I need them or not.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when the lesson plans, the seating charts, and behavior plans are exactly right for the students. The students are on task, responsible, and respectful. When I can reach the students, I feel that I have accomplished something. I have impacted the students' lives forever to teach them something that will be with them for the rest of their lives. In conclusion, the Toledo Public Schools are very flexible about time off and substitute teaching. – less
Community environment; working together to help families
Class 3 Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Toledo, OHJuly 18, 2013
Pros: the location; downtown area, close to restaurants and shops
Cons: swing shifts
A typical day at work would be tracking the events withing the building to make ensure the safety and productiveness withing the building. The co-workers are up-beat and excited about their jobs. The hardest part of the job was the swing shifts. I enjoyed the benefits and the pay.
Challenging with the chance to impact young people.
Paraprofessional Aide (Current Employee), Toledo, OHJuly 16, 2013
Pros: the adults and students committed to pursuing student achievement.
Cons: money, relations between the district and the public, those whose negative attitudes about the district influence others.
TPS is a district in distress. Steady enrollment declines; years of pay cuts; four superintendents in ten years; public dissatisfaction with student achievement and district operations; along with a community battling crime and poverty, make this a workplace not for the faint of heart. The best thing about TPS is that there are people who have not given up, and continue to work on behalf of the students.

TOLEDO PUBLIC SCHOOLS Salaries