Tom's Food Center Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Good first job for students
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Portland, MIMay 22, 2017
Store is always kept clean . Pay is terrible minimum wage and it's only about 20 hours a week unless your management, no benefits unless your management. I would recommend Tom's for a first job or students.
Cons
No benefits
Aweful workplace
TEAM LEADER/GROCERY CLERK/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Portland, MIJanuary 14, 2016
Management is terrible, they are not considerate of their employees, no full time positions available, no benefits, not willing to work around schedules, no advancement, huge turnover, people in leadership positions that should not be there.
Pros
Good starter job.
Cons
Everything else.
Productive and good place to start.
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portland, MIDecember 10, 2015
A typical day is consistent with every other day you work. you clean spills, retrieve carts, face product and bag groceries. I learned that starting positions like that are seldom going to be very enjoyable, but you have to pay your dues to make it to the top. Management was fair, but it was more shuffling and ordering than it was coaching and communicating. My coworkers were enjoyable considering that most of them were approximately the same age as I. The hardest part of the job had to be the presence of negativity each day. It would come from different people each day, but it was almost always present. The most enjoyable part of the job had to be the fact that I worked in a grocery store, whenever I went on break, I had a variety of treats and food to select from.
Pros
Fair balance between work and life, short days
Cons
retrieving carts in winter, being shuffled
Fun small town place to work
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Portland, MIMarch 11, 2015
I really miss working here! There was always something that needed to be done, and I loved it! It allowed me to meet the people in my hometown and assist them with any shopping questions.
Worked independently with little to no interruptions
Accounting/ Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, MIFebruary 9, 2014
Worked independently with little to no interruptions. Built the Pharmacy Accounts Receivables from the ground up. Supervisor was easy to speak to and talk about my concerns.
Bad place to work
Closing Manager (Former Employee) –  Okemos, MIOctober 17, 2013
The Management was not as good as L & L Food Center. Customer
Services went down and the business loss a lot of good customers.The most enjoyable part of the job was reaching the closing hour.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
Bad Managemnt
relaxed atmosphere at times
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portland, MIApril 3, 2013
On a typical day at Toms food center I mostly faced items that were previously placed on shelfs. I occasionally bagged customers items and gathered carts. On the days that I opened or closed, the duties included general cleaning. I learned that there are many ways to get things done it just depends on who does it, for example when i gathered the carts I collected all the carts to one cart rack and took 10 at a time where as other coworkers went to each rack and took 2 trips per rack. My coworkers made the job enjoyable as well as some of the mangement. the hardest part of the job was when you ran out of things to do yet you had to do something.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tom's Food Center. Our community is ready to answer.

2.1