Tommy Bahama Employee Reviews

Horrible
Busser/Runner/Jucier (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJuly 30, 2017
The main issue with this working place is that there is never any communication and no room for growth when you feel confident enough as an employee. A good starting point but, not good to get comfortable in.
Pros
Cons
Plenty
Great company culture
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 28, 2017
Work day included customer service, problem resolutions, training and guiding sales team. Moniter daily, monthly sales to maintain we worked with our budget guidlines
Great place to work. Fun brand and great leaders!
Corporate Office (Current Employee) –  Seattle WAJuly 21, 2017
I absolutely love working for Tommy Bahama. I work in the corporate office in Seattle and there are many great things about working here. First, the brand is fun. Apparel is high quality and we have a strong following of customers (and bringing new customers in all the time). Restaurants are amazing and bring the lifestyle brand together perfectly. Leadership at corporate are the best in the business. Smart, open-minded and humble from the top down. Work/life balance is important to the culture. They really do walk the talk with work/life balance. It is a key piece of the culture here. Other important elements of the culture include a lot of team-work and collaboration. With an all encompassing lifestyle brand you need to make sure there are no silos. Everyone working together, sharing ideas and working toward the same goal. Not to mention, just a super nice group of people to work with. A++
Pros
culture, work/life balance, retail & restauarnt discounts.
Cons
none that i can think of
Very Fun Place To Work
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Jupiter, FLJuly 17, 2017
the staff is very fun, and the environment is always laid back and relaxed in every location. it was my first real job and it taught me a lot, from how to fold down a store, to how to break out of my shyness.
Ok
Employee (Former Employee) –  HIJuly 17, 2017
Seemed to undervalue employees, did not promote quickly even if team members were well qualified.

Focused on the wrong things when being a restaurant team member
Not for everyone
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJuly 10, 2017
I was hired as a Sales Associate for Tommy Bahama at the Mall of America location. I started in May of 2017. At first, it seemed like a good fit. Unfortunately, I was wrong as I started to see all the things that were ugly about working in this particular location. Lets start out with describing a typical day at work. I would go in and punch in with a card swipe on the time clock. After doing that, I would go onto the sales floor to get a daily briefing from the Manager On Duty. The briefing would entail things like what to expect during the shift, if there were any promotions, events or sales occurring within the store during the day. Toward the end of the briefing you would be given a sales goal to reach by the end of the day, you were given a sales goal to help the entire staff reach the sales goal by the end of the month. If they reached a goal, they would get a bonus along with the hourly wage paychecks. Upon the briefing's finish, the Manager would usually let you go and you had free reign of where to go in the store. You would spend the rest of the shift helping guests, folding clothing, making small talk with your coworkers, cleaning and other tasks that were thought up by Managers or the full time staff in charge of back stock or store presentation.

Sounds easy? Right? Well, this is where I caution employment seekers. Everything I just described is to the best of my recollection, however, there are some reasons why i decided to end my employment with Tommy Bahama.

The first reason is that the Managers on Duty could often be rude to their subordinates. They would
  more... tell people that they are too slow, they don't sell well enough, question and insult their intelligence.

The second reason is that there was unclear expectations and leadership from the in-store management that led to Sales Associates sometimes not knowing the right way to doing their jobs. You were given conflicting orders and advice from Managers and when you would carry them out in front of other managers, you would get yelled at for doing your job wrong even though you had just obeyed a request from a different manager. I even told them multiple times that this needed to be cleared up in order for a clearer workplace, they obviously did not listen.

The third and final reason I resigned was because it was just too much stress to deal with rude people every single day i had worked there. There were some great Sales Associates, but that alone could not keep me from leaving. It wears on someone's mind when people are constantly rude and tell you what you are doing wrong and not complimenting you on what you are doing right.

That, in a nutshell, is what it is like to work at the Mall of America location of Tommy Bahama.
Pros
6 pieces of free clothing upon hire, Decent pay, Good discount, Some cool coworkers
Cons
Bad management, unclear expectations, weird rules
Relaxed Environment makes this place Great!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAJuly 8, 2017
I love working at Tommy Bahama. I have a personal relationship with the brand that stems back to my 20"s. My 21st birthday was at the TB in Scottsdale, Az. and I've just always loved the vibe and atmosphere the brand has created. Tommy Customers and Employees are welcoming and warm. Great company to work for.
Pros
Free clothes upon hire.
Cons
Disorganization at times.
Overworked
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Huntington, NYJuly 6, 2017
high turnover rate and over worked employees and managers. The environment can be good if you have a good team, otherwise their will be lots of drama between associates in my experience.
Amazing company to work for
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 6, 2017
This is a great company that cares about their employers. They have good work life balance and look to promote from within. It is a very relaxed culture that makes you want to come to work every day.
it was alright
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Riverhead, NYJune 23, 2017
the work was good very slow almost no one comes in the actual store and the ones who did always had an issue with something. I learned nothing. it was
Pros
lunch
Cons
hours
Great Staff
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Atlantic City, NJ 08401June 21, 2017
Great atmosphere and place to work at. Management Team is strong and encourages advancement and passing along knowledge to allow team members to thrive and excel.
Perfect Short Term Job
Floor Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 19, 2017
Loved the work environment, the people are always great. There's no real room to move up because this is a place most people want to retire at. Management positions never open up.
Pros
Free Clothes
Cons
can't grow within the company
Sinking ship
Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 14, 2017
If you want to work for Abercrombie then Tommy Bahama is a great choice for you. The low pay combined with upper management that makes it up as they go makes for a glaringly unstable foundation.
Pros
free clothes
Cons
Terrible upper management.
Average
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAJune 5, 2017
It;s your average retail store, you're going to deal with annoying customers who don't know how to fold clothes or maybe because their just to lazy. It was an okay place to work.
Supportive Environment; Over-Reaching Corp Decisions & Policies
Associate (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJune 2, 2017
Company has a very hard time following it's own stated purpose and culture (PARADISE) with bouts of questionable integrity. There is definitely a broader culture of "do as I say" as opposed to leading by example. Best part of this job is the people (almost all associates and managers) you get to work with--it's a great group with huge potential to function productively as a "team.". The job can be a lot of fun as there are quite a few areas of responsibilities you can get involved in with just a little flexibility and an open mind. Most frustrating is the lack of a consistent schedule. Don't come here if you need to make plans or are a part of a family. Do come here if you are planning on a career.
Pros
Supportive Environment
Cons
Scheduling w/no rationale, like working in the coal company town
Interesting place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Carmel-by-the-Sea, CAMay 30, 2017
Relaxable environment determines current location however given the right circumstance i believe with determination we can control much whatto we dont get,
Great Place to Work!
Sous Chef, Culinary Lead, Line, Prep, Dish (Former Employee) –  Sandestin, FLMay 30, 2017
Five Stars All The Way!
Great BOH Management, Culture, and Team Atmosphere!
Up in sales, strong crew, motivating growth opportunities.
Great place to eat, know how to cook a great steak!
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXMay 28, 2017
Relaxed job, you work as if you're getting commission although you're not. Sales goals are very important. You get bonus and free clothing sometimes..
Meh
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 20, 2017
Once the management changed, everything did... Guess most places are like that.... Overall it was a good experience and the company does a great job at reflecting its values!
Ok Experience
Full Time Sales (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 20, 2017
This place is alright but the managers were horrible and had no leadership skills. It was all about their ego and feeling important.
They are pretty god with Holiday and vacation time. Full Timers get a free piece of clothing each month.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tommy Bahama. Our community is ready to answer.