Tommy Bahama Employee Reviews

Poor management, your just an employee #
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Jupiter, FLNovember 18, 2016
Opened Jupiter. Worked 50something hours a week for months but was hired as Part time employee so I never recieved increased hourly or benefits. When questioned, they said "nothing they could do" .Management didnt listen to concerns bc upper management had to agree. Necessary changes took months. Was very disappointed and left with a bad taste in my mouth. All of our trainers were amazing and loved the stores they came from. Guess they just dropped the ball on this one. One or two managers were great and understanding but couldnt help much.
Pros
Great food half price
Cons
Slow unorganized kitchen that constantly made mistakes!
Good place to work, hard to advance internally
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  551 fifth avenueOctober 25, 2016
I like working here, my coworkers and supervisors are all intelligent and believe in teamwork. Hours are slow when we are not busy (January-May). While the people here are easy to work with, there are moments of miscommunication and tedious tasks that don't help with the goal of meeting sales goals. Hard to advance internally, they seem to hire any senior positions externally from other stores
Pros
Free lunches as a reward, bonuses based off store sales goals, flexible hours
Cons
Short breaks, Micromanaging
Productive and professional workplace
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Miramar, FLOctober 25, 2016
Greet and seat guests, clean tables, help servers, run food to their tables. I learned how to properly treat guests, answer the phone, keep work environment clean and organized. Management was tough and strict, good work a busy workplace. Co-workers were team players and helped each other out when needed. Hardest part of the job was satisfying angry guests to their need before getting a manager. Most enjoyable was the co-workers, they were always upbeat and nice.
Pros
50% meals, well timed breaks.
Cons
stressful environment when busy.
Love the clothes!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Jupiter, FLNovember 30, 2016
It can be fun during busy times but can also get very boring. If you love the clothes and working in retail this is the best place to do it.
You are asked to make contact with guests to thank them for their business and let them know about upcoming promotions and events.
Many people return often, Tommy has a good customer base.
Pros
a new piece every other month, 50% off apparel, 40% off homegoods
Cons
late nights and weekends
Another corp restaurant that does not care about its employees
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  NaplesNovember 14, 2016
Management team is extremely LAZY. There is no training, no coaching, no teaching. They are to lazy and self-absorbed to worry about that. This is a company that is all about the bottom line and not about the welfare or well-being of its employees. Lots of empty promises and disappointments.
Pros
free clothes and great benefits
Cons
Racism and bigotry. Laziness and dirty
Productive, fun and exciting work environment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLOctober 17, 2016
I enjoy meeting and working with new people every day. It is a new experience with every new customer. I learn new and exciting things with every new floor set and all the new clothing items that come in. My managers and floor supervisors are a joy to work with and I learn productive and wonderful new things about the retail business from each one. I very much enjoy working with all my fellow co-workers. We are a lovely work family and each of us bring something wonderful to the work environment. The hardest part of the job is falling in love with all the product and wanting to buy everything. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to work with so many wonderful customers and helping them find that perfect outfit(s).
Pros
Getting a discount.
Cons
Not getting enough hours.
a great place to work at
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 15, 2016
working here I was a sales associate my job included folding clothes, answering phones, working the register, cleaning out the fitting room helping guest out on the sales floor, etc. I learned a lot working here how to communicate with guest and how to build clientele. The management there was nice and friendly, but changed on a regular basis. On the other hand, my co-workers was great made my time there very enjoyable it was like we was a big happy family. The hardest part of the job was winning the weekly contest, this gave us a goal for ourselves to be the best sales person there.the most enjoyable part of the job was making a sale and seeing the guest come back to the store only to work and talk to you and only want you to help them pick out there items for the day.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
no healthcare
Good comissions, but management has no idea how to work in harmony with employees
Sales Assoc (Former Employee) –  San Ysidro, CAAugust 24, 2016
If you're looking to advance your career in this company, it's almost impossible. Management changed and made a complete mess with the working environment. 80% of the staff quit. They also fired a supervisor one week before Christmas with no prior warning.
Pros
If sales goal is met the team gets a bonus and you get free clothes
Cons
Summer clothing in winter
Great Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNSeptember 22, 2016
Management is excellent, and the entire atmosphere is very laid-back. Very flexible in terms of hours and are understanding when things come up. I've learned a lot about what good management looks like and have had many opportunities because of where I work. Everyone is friendly and supportive of one another.
Pros
great discount, laid-back environment
Good Retail Experience
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXAugust 24, 2016
Good place to work if you are in retail. Higher end products and higher end clients. TB expects you to have product knowledge and outstanding customer service skill. Plenty of training available. There is no such thing as a 40 hour work week or overtime if you are ASM down.
Pros
Free clothing for "uniform"
Cons
Retail does not pay well

Want to know more about Tommy Bahama?

Ask a question
store, bar and restaurant
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2016
• Recognized as a high sales achiever by meeting and exceeding daily set sales goals
• Trained 4+ new hires in the procedures and daily activities of their roles
• Recommended and located merchandise based on guest needs and desires
• Processed returns, exchanges, charge sends, and web orders
Pros
free food
Great place to work at.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJuly 9, 2016
Working at Tommy Bahama has been a great experience. It has taught me to be more open and engaging, and from that, it let me step out of my comfort zone. It also made me realize that approaching people and having conversations with them rather than just pushing to sell items leads to a better sale. All the workers and managers were amazing, optimistic, and energetic, making the job less like a duty. I enjoy talking to the customers because everyone has a different story to tell, and you will never know who you might encounter.
Pros
Half off of everything.
Wonderful place to work
Guest Service Representative Tier II (Current Employee) –  Federal Way, WAJuly 31, 2016
I love working here. Everyone is so accepting, and really looks to help you grown and advance within the company. You truly are a part of a team while working here. As long as you are coach-able and open to learning you will do well here.
Pros
Friendly; fair; approachable management
Cons
Long hours; not enough workers
Very spread out
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlantic City, NJNovember 17, 2016
Not a big market share in North East. Hard to partner with others.
Whole market is your biggest competition.
Employee appearance standards were a challenge for female team members.
Pros
company has good furture
Cons
woman's clothes
Nice people fun environment
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 21, 2016
The store was very visible to corporate so we had a lot of fun events in store and the discount was great. I think advancement is feasible in a reasonably short time as long as you work hard.
Great serving environment
SERVER (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CANovember 16, 2016
No real complaints except for the lack of management retention at the Newport Location. They would also make very rapid changes and put them into effect with little to no notice (such as menus and such).
Slow, but great people to work with
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXApril 29, 2016
I love working at Tommy Bahama because I have some really cool co-workers and I meet some very interesting guests. The part I hate about working there is the fact that it can be so slow most of the time. The hardest part about the job is having to conversate with the guests who come in. Our main priority to talk to the guests and make them feel like they're with friends, but it's hard to talk to a stranger as your friend when you know nothing about them and they know nothing about you. But, I have met some weird and interesting guests while working there. They actually make my day at work worthwhile.
Pros
You have a 30 min. lunch if you work more than 5 hours
Cons
It's so slow, you get a 10 min. break if you work only 5 hours or less
Great Company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  FloridaApril 15, 2016
I have worked for Tommy Bahama for 2.5 years and I love the way the company allows it's employees to connect with guests and provide an unforgettable experience. I enjoy the company philosophy of being relaxed, but hard working. I have worked for 3 different locations, all with the same core values but different managing techniques and procedures. My only issue is the lack of stability in hours, and the lack of advancement. I have tried to move up in the company and despite my good rapport with my higher-ups, i am never considered.
Pros
Bonuses, Good Pay, Raises
Cons
No stable hours, no advancement
great enviornment/ company vibe
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Lake Buena Vista, FLAugust 18, 2016
great environment/company vibe. one of the most relaxed environments that I've ever worked in and especially with it being at such a unique location it really stands out.
Great place to start.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 2, 2016
As the day goes by, I am checking in on the sales team ensuring they are going above and beyond for their client and coaching in the moment when it's needed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tommy Bahama. Our community is ready to answer.