Tommy Bahama Employee Reviews

Fun, laid-back culture
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 5, 2016
Tommy Bahama is a great company for young professionals looking to gain experience and grow in the retail industry. Training is thorough and comprehensive and there are always opportunities for advancement for those willing to grow.

The guests who shop the brand make the job enjoyable. They are fun and super knowledgeable about the products so it makes the job of the employees that much easier.
Pros
Uniform pieces, great benefits, team-based working environment
Cons
Average pay, no set schedule, large restructuring of corporate enviroment
Relaxed but proffesional work enviroment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 20, 2015
In the time i have worked at Tommy Bahama i have had lots of fun, got to interact and to meet guest from all parts of the world that enjoy the brand's quality, and the personalized guest experience that the teams provide. Management is pretty flexible with schedules and understanding with the workers. The hardest part of the job is the hours and the pay, which is average in relation to the volume and price point of the product that is sold. The most enjoyable part is the benefits of the company, the team that you work with, the culture, and the returning Tommy Bahama guest that have followed the brand for years and have an amplitude of knowledge.
Pros
Relaxed environment, great co-workers, flexible schedules, good management, great culture.
Cons
Almost below average pay, odd hours.
Tommy Bahama is a relaxed atmosphere. Where we like to "Make Life one Long Weekend"
Floor Supervisor/visual merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Corte Madera, CAJanuary 25, 2016
Productive and positive work environment.
Opportunities to grow with the company.
Employees genuinely like to help the guests and turn into their personal shoppers.
Pros
Benefits, Free uniform pieces, dry cleaning
Interesting product and different culture
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 18, 2015
Product is designed to serve a particular guest and the culture of the company is that of island life style. Guests that you work with are usually repeat and long term guests. Host in store events that other retail companies don't do.
Pros
Atmosphere
Cons
Salary range
Great place to work at.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJuly 9, 2016
Working at Tommy Bahama has been a great experience. It has taught me to be more open and engaging, and from that, it let me step out of my comfort zone. It also made me realize that approaching people and having conversations with them rather than just pushing to sell items leads to a better sale. All the workers and managers were amazing, optimistic, and energetic, making the job less like a duty. I enjoy talking to the customers because everyone has a different story to tell, and you will never know who you might encounter.
Pros
Half off of everything.
Amazing Company and Amazing People
MOD (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 18, 2016
Literally one of the best companies anyone can work for... all employees are paid well... expectations are not set extremely high for sales or productivity... management does not berate you constantly... you get discounts in retail AND restaurant... company is really focused on offering great work/life balance and never wants you to bring work home...
Pros
great discounts, laid back managing style
Slow, but great people to work with
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXApril 29, 2016
I love working at Tommy Bahama because I have some really cool co-workers and I meet some very interesting guests. The part I hate about working there is the fact that it can be so slow most of the time. The hardest part about the job is having to conversate with the guests who come in. Our main priority to talk to the guests and make them feel like they're with friends, but it's hard to talk to a stranger as your friend when you know nothing about them and they know nothing about you. But, I have met some weird and interesting guests while working there. They actually make my day at work worthwhile.
Pros
You have a 30 min. lunch if you work more than 5 hours
Cons
It's so slow, you get a 10 min. break if you work only 5 hours or less
Make Life One Long Weekend
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Concord, NCMarch 9, 2016
A lifestyle brand company that stays true to its core values. Each day inspires you to create an environment that allows our guests to relax while shopping. The company challenges us to elevate ourselves to execute and deliver this experience while maintaining the day to day functions of running a store. I like to refer it to a duck swimming in the water. It's appears to be floating around effortlessly while it's feet paddle quickly to get where it needs to go. It has taught me how to be more passionate, know fun details, share the experience with both my internal and external guests.
Pros
Company culture and lifestyle brand
Cons
Good comissions, but management has no idea how to work in harmony with employees
Sales Assoc (Former Employee) –  San Ysidro, CAAugust 24, 2016
If you're looking to advance your career in this company, it's almost impossible. Management changed and made a complete mess with the working environment. 80% of the staff quit. They also fired a supervisor one week before Christmas with no prior warning.
Pros
If sales goal is met the team gets a bonus and you get free clothes
Cons
Summer clothing in winter
Live life like one long weekend. -Motto
Floor Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 15, 2015
I really do enjoy working for this company, it is a fun and relaxing place. I live by all the motto's and even promote the brand by wearing it even when I'm off.
Pros
We have restaurants and pay well with great benefits
Cons
Grownth within the company
Good work environment; good workforce
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAMarch 2, 2016
Server position, where the ability to move up in ranks is easily attainable.
A typical day would include working with co workers through an 8 hour or more shift, serving guests throughout the shift. Keeping a good attitude and atmosphere throughout the workday. Knowing all drinks and other services that are offered for each guest.
Co-workers work together for a common goal and keep the spirits up throughout the entire shift.
The hardest part of the this job would be the hours, working until late hours of the night makes it hard to do other things during the day or night whichever is the opposite of the shift worked.
The part of the job that I enjoyed the most was doing something new every chance I was given and making sure that I got the best out of everyday, including the days that were not as good as others.
Great Company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  FloridaApril 15, 2016
I have worked for Tommy Bahama for 2.5 years and I love the way the company allows it's employees to connect with guests and provide an unforgettable experience. I enjoy the company philosophy of being relaxed, but hard working. I have worked for 3 different locations, all with the same core values but different managing techniques and procedures. My only issue is the lack of stability in hours, and the lack of advancement. I have tried to move up in the company and despite my good rapport with my higher-ups, i am never considered.
Pros
Bonuses, Good Pay, Raises
Cons
No stable hours, no advancement
Great Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNSeptember 22, 2016
Management is excellent, and the entire atmosphere is very laid-back. Very flexible in terms of hours and are understanding when things come up. I've learned a lot about what good management looks like and have had many opportunities because of where I work. Everyone is friendly and supportive of one another.
Pros
great discount, laid-back environment
Good Retail Experience
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXAugust 24, 2016
Good place to work if you are in retail. Higher end products and higher end clients. TB expects you to have product knowledge and outstanding customer service skill. Plenty of training available. There is no such thing as a 40 hour work week or overtime if you are ASM down.
Pros
Free clothing for "uniform"
Cons
Retail does not pay well
Wonderful place to work
Guest Service Representative Tier II (Current Employee) –  Federal Way, WAJuly 31, 2016
I love working here. Everyone is so accepting, and really looks to help you grown and advance within the company. You truly are a part of a team while working here. As long as you are coach-able and open to learning you will do well here.
Pros
Friendly; fair; approachable management
Cons
Long hours; not enough workers
store, bar and restaurant
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2016
• Recognized as a high sales achiever by meeting and exceeding daily set sales goals
• Trained 4+ new hires in the procedures and daily activities of their roles
• Recommended and located merchandise based on guest needs and desires
• Processed returns, exchanges, charge sends, and web orders
Pros
free food
churn and burn
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 15, 2016
It's retail. With everyone shopping on line now, most jobs in retail are part time. Not a livable wage, so you will need at least one other job. If you are a student, retiree or housewifey then it will be ok. Easy to get hired. They are always looking for seasonals and temps or part timers. Younger and cuter even better. The good, you can dress casual and be comfortable. You won't be in constant danger of losing your job for weak sales or not opening credit cards like a big department store. The bad, no holiday pay, comp days for working holidays, no break room or cleaning people. You are the cleaning staff - floors, bathrooms, get ready! Some stores have a faster pace than others. If you can land in a slower store then things will be pretty chill. Tommy Bahama is a mens brand run by men. Pretty old school. They have not fully entered the modern world where women have a place at the table. This has hurt forward progress. I love guys but you know they would rather drive around not actually knowing how to get somewhere than ask for directions. That's the car you will be riding in. It's a paycheck but don't expect much else.
Pros
can wear comfortable clothes and shoes
Cons
going nowhere fast
great enviornment/ company vibe
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Lake Buena Vista, FLAugust 18, 2016
great environment/company vibe. one of the most relaxed environments that I've ever worked in and especially with it being at such a unique location it really stands out.
Great work enviornment
Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZAugust 2, 2016
Out of all the food/bar industry locations that I have worked Tommy Bahama's was definitely the most relaxed while still maintaining a high level of service for the guests.
great workplace.
Sales (Current Employee) –  Camarillo, CAJuly 28, 2016
great workplace, greeting customers daily, helping customers non stop. answering phones calls and questions.ringing up customers daily, having them sign up for our guest registery.