Tommy Bahama Employee Reviews

Used to be a great company to work for
Returns Clerk (Current Employee) –  Auburn, WAJanuary 1, 2017
Used to be a company that valued their employees and you could tell that they did, but has slowly moved away from that culture
Schedules can change with extremely short notice, especially around the holidays
Required to work extra hours on weeks when there is a holiday so you don't actually get overtime pay
Employees are told that if they don't like something about the work place the door is right over there
Management is disengaged or overly controlling
Coworkers are for the most part nice to work with, but many are beginning to be run down and are getting tired from over work
Hardest part of the job is the heat in summer and cold in winter
Most enjoyable part of the job is the pattern recognition and problem solving
Pros
great benefits, 401K, employee sales, stock options
Cons
varied schedule, extreme temperatures, poor management
Poor management, your just an employee #
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Jupiter, FLNovember 18, 2016
Opened Jupiter. Worked 50something hours a week for months but was hired as Part time employee so I never recieved increased hourly or benefits. When questioned, they said "nothing they could do" .Management didnt listen to concerns bc upper management had to agree. Necessary changes took months. Was very disappointed and left with a bad taste in my mouth. All of our trainers were amazing and loved the stores they came from. Guess they just dropped the ball on this one. One or two managers were great and understanding but couldnt help much.
Pros
Great food half price
Cons
Slow unorganized kitchen that constantly made mistakes!
Another corp restaurant that does not care about its employees
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  NaplesNovember 14, 2016
Management team is extremely LAZY. There is no training, no coaching, no teaching. They are to lazy and self-absorbed to worry about that. This is a company that is all about the bottom line and not about the welfare or well-being of its employees. Lots of empty promises and disappointments.
Pros
free clothes and great benefits
Cons
Racism and bigotry. Laziness and dirty
Great Company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  FloridaApril 15, 2016
I have worked for Tommy Bahama for 2.5 years and I love the way the company allows it's employees to connect with guests and provide an unforgettable experience. I enjoy the company philosophy of being relaxed, but hard working. I have worked for 3 different locations, all with the same core values but different managing techniques and procedures. My only issue is the lack of stability in hours, and the lack of advancement. I have tried to move up in the company and despite my good rapport with my higher-ups, i am never considered.
Pros
Bonuses, Good Pay, Raises
Cons
No stable hours, no advancement
Fun, laid-back culture
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 5, 2016
Tommy Bahama is a great company for young professionals looking to gain experience and grow in the retail industry. Training is thorough and comprehensive and there are always opportunities for advancement for those willing to grow.

The guests who shop the brand make the job enjoyable. They are fun and super knowledgeable about the products so it makes the job of the employees that much easier.
Pros
Uniform pieces, great benefits, team-based working environment
Cons
Average pay, no set schedule, large restructuring of corporate enviroment
Fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 18, 2017
It is a very fun environment. Talking to consumer about how their vacation went, what they explored, and what they ate during the trip.
The clothes are very nice and feels great, although sizing is a bit bigger than usual sizing. The work environment is very easy going, I was able to get along with all my coworkers just fine. Management was also very great, we both worked out situations that needed to be addressed. They were very flexible in scheduling and made sure everything was in order before they made it the final schedule. The hardest part of the job would have to be when the store was extremely slow, not too many customers on some days. The most enjoyable would be the days that are not slow, just enough work to free time ratio.
a great place to work at
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 15, 2016
working here I was a sales associate my job included folding clothes, answering phones, working the register, cleaning out the fitting room helping guest out on the sales floor, etc. I learned a lot working here how to communicate with guest and how to build clientele. The management there was nice and friendly, but changed on a regular basis. On the other hand, my co-workers was great made my time there very enjoyable it was like we was a big happy family. The hardest part of the job was winning the weekly contest, this gave us a goal for ourselves to be the best sales person there.the most enjoyable part of the job was making a sale and seeing the guest come back to the store only to work and talk to you and only want you to help them pick out there items for the day.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
no healthcare
Nice people fun environment
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 21, 2016
The store was very visible to corporate so we had a lot of fun events in store and the discount was great. I think advancement is feasible in a reasonably short time as long as you work hard.
Productive and professional workplace
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Miramar, FLOctober 25, 2016
Greet and seat guests, clean tables, help servers, run food to their tables. I learned how to properly treat guests, answer the phone, keep work environment clean and organized. Management was tough and strict, good work a busy workplace. Co-workers were team players and helped each other out when needed. Hardest part of the job was satisfying angry guests to their need before getting a manager. Most enjoyable was the co-workers, they were always upbeat and nice.
Pros
50% meals, well timed breaks.
Cons
stressful environment when busy.
Fun work place
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Lake Buena Vista, FLMay 18, 2016
I love the work environment and the friendly staff very welcoming.. I love the benefits and the managers are very cool. Overall Tommy Bahama is a productive but easy going work environment.
Good comissions, but management has no idea how to work in harmony with employees
Sales Assoc (Former Employee) –  San Ysidro, CAAugust 24, 2016
If you're looking to advance your career in this company, it's almost impossible. Management changed and made a complete mess with the working environment. 80% of the staff quit. They also fired a supervisor one week before Christmas with no prior warning.
Pros
If sales goal is met the team gets a bonus and you get free clothes
Cons
Summer clothing in winter
Relaxed but proffesional work enviroment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 20, 2015
In the time i have worked at Tommy Bahama i have had lots of fun, got to interact and to meet guest from all parts of the world that enjoy the brand's quality, and the personalized guest experience that the teams provide. Management is pretty flexible with schedules and understanding with the workers. The hardest part of the job is the hours and the pay, which is average in relation to the volume and price point of the product that is sold. The most enjoyable part is the benefits of the company, the team that you work with, the culture, and the returning Tommy Bahama guest that have followed the brand for years and have an amplitude of knowledge.
Pros
Relaxed environment, great co-workers, flexible schedules, good management, great culture.
Cons
Almost below average pay, odd hours.
Love the clothes!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Jupiter, FLNovember 30, 2016
It can be fun during busy times but can also get very boring. If you love the clothes and working in retail this is the best place to do it.
You are asked to make contact with guests to thank them for their business and let them know about upcoming promotions and events.
Many people return often, Tommy has a good customer base.
Pros
a new piece every other month, 50% off apparel, 40% off homegoods
Cons
late nights and weekends
Productive, fun and exciting work environment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLOctober 17, 2016
I enjoy meeting and working with new people every day. It is a new experience with every new customer. I learn new and exciting things with every new floor set and all the new clothing items that come in. My managers and floor supervisors are a joy to work with and I learn productive and wonderful new things about the retail business from each one. I very much enjoy working with all my fellow co-workers. We are a lovely work family and each of us bring something wonderful to the work environment. The hardest part of the job is falling in love with all the product and wanting to buy everything. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to work with so many wonderful customers and helping them find that perfect outfit(s).
Pros
Getting a discount.
Cons
Not getting enough hours.
Wonderful place to work
Guest Service Representative Tier II (Current Employee) –  Federal Way, WAJuly 31, 2016
I love working here. Everyone is so accepting, and really looks to help you grown and advance within the company. You truly are a part of a team while working here. As long as you are coach-able and open to learning you will do well here.
Pros
Friendly; fair; approachable management
Cons
Long hours; not enough workers
Retail
FT Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAJanuary 8, 2017
Good company to work for when I was there, it's been years so I can't speak on them from present terms. I know they made a lot of chances in the recent years with a new CEO and remodeling all stores to create a better customer experience, seems like a good company to work for still last time I visited to purchased some suits.
Great people, Great Company!
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 9, 2016
Great people, Great Company!

Extremely progressive and diverse culture! Artists, Designers, and Executives, every day was an exciting new experience.
Pros
Fast paced, High Profile
Great Culture
Quality Control Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 20, 2016
Great company culture but too many home grown managers that have little experience outside of Tommy Bahama. Management needs an huge overall.
Good place to work, hard to advance internally
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  551 fifth avenueOctober 25, 2016
I like working here, my coworkers and supervisors are all intelligent and believe in teamwork. Hours are slow when we are not busy (January-May). While the people here are easy to work with, there are moments of miscommunication and tedious tasks that don't help with the goal of meeting sales goals. Hard to advance internally, they seem to hire any senior positions externally from other stores
Pros
Free lunches as a reward, bonuses based off store sales goals, flexible hours
Cons
Short breaks, Micromanaging
Professional working environment
Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 12, 2017
Overall, the environment is professional and coworkers are friendly and work well together. Maybe one of the more difficult aspect of working there was dealing with micro-management from the parent company though they mean well most of the time.
Pros
Employee sales
Cons
Employee sales

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tommy Bahama. Our community is ready to answer.