Tommy Bahama

Tommy Bahama Employer Reviews

Top-notch company packed with smart, creative people.
Art Department Manager, Graphic Designer (Former Employee), Seattle, WAMarch 27, 2014
Pros: a creative melting pot
Cons: fashion industry intensity not for the weak of heart
Tommy Bahama was a graphic designer's dream job. The variety of work was fantastic and stimulating, with so many opportunities to apply visual design skills and creative problem-solving to high-quality end-products. (Catalog layout one minute, label and back pocket designs for high-end fashion jeans the next...) Fast-paced and never dull!
Weird culture, management not qualified, VPs don't play nice with everyone
Associate (Current Employee), Seattle, WAMarch 12, 2014
Pros: decent pay, ok work-life balance
Cons: poor management, it dept behind the times, coffee is horrible, too much politics
There doesn't seem to be a unified "team" among the highest leadership. Lots of politics, sabotage, VP vents to his team about all his discontents vs working with other VPs to strategize solutions and get the job done and is absent traveling more than in the office. Lots of questioning of motives and internal battles that cause delays and stress for – more... everyone.

Attitude is "I'll do things my way on my timeline, doesn't matter what CEO wants," which in turn affects the entire company. Lots of posturing to stay in favor and people complain behind others backs and that is tolerated, thus it festers throughout the company. They seriously need to hire a high-level consultant to help straighten out the major mess of management/execs who are not efficient or effective at the level an exec should be.

The people are nice enough, but if you're new, nobody really welcomes you and there is no team building amongst departments, so even within a department, there is not a sense of passion and unified teamwork. No formal onboarding process and once you're here, you pretty much have to figure out who does what on your own.

Meetings get set up with no standard framework of agenda, follow-up, outcome, deliverables, action items. Process and procedures need work to standardize and get everyone on the same page for basic things like a company-wide powerpoint template or things you include when sending out a meeting invite.

Pay is within industry standards, benefits are decent. The IT department is severely lacking when it comes to keeping in front of things and having high-level tech talent. If a problem stumps someone, it may never get resolved, despite persistent requests...for my issue IT had to consult with offshore or offsite people to try to determine the problem...never did get resolved.

TB seems to keep management and directors that are below standard, less qualified and not good with managing people, thus I'm not optimistic unless they were to do some serious house cleaning and org restructuring. HR is cold and unapproachable.

People still punch a time clock here if they're hourly. – less
Fun, easy going, energetic work place.
Sales associate/stock coordinator assistant (Current Employee), Camarillo, CAJanuary 29, 2014
I enjoy working here, it is a very fun and energetic work place. The management team is very friendly and easy to talk to. Excellent guest service is key and is what a typical day at work consists of. Although there is troublesome guest, everyone always has a positive outlook and is very upbeat.
A fun and relaxed work environment
Guest Services Rep/International Specialist (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: several employee appreciation days, clothing allowances, nice bonus ( overall good compensation package)
- "Life is one long weekend" at Tommy Bahama. A typical fast-pace work setting, but still very relaxed. Spent time resolving customer disputes via phone and email, researching and reporting on ways to improve our service levels and grow the online business. I was the pioneer representative for the e-commerce business, who trained and coached incoming – more... hires and other employees on and ongoing basis.
- I learned how to tackle and provide solutions for complex issues and overall was part of the company's growth from infancy to becoming a 500 million + business – less
Fun and productive workplace
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Hilton Head Island, SCJanuary 13, 2014
Tommy Bahama is an excellent company to work for. A typical work day would include greeting the guests as they arrive at the resort, offer valet and luggage services. Management truly cares for the employees, overall a great company to work for.
management sucked !!!!
Assistant manager (Former Employee), LE ENCANTADAJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: benefits and co workers were fine
Cons: again dont work for them ! biggest mistake of my life
management sucked mean , played games.
co workers were nice , customers were great
they spend a lot of money on cheap made clothes .... DO NOT WORK THERE !!!!
Nice job but management sucked
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Primm, NVDecember 15, 2013
Pros: got to work with people, paid for gas.
Cons: management was mean
A typical day at work was nice. I mainly greeted and talked to the custormers about the sales. I also counted money when necessary. Had to meet daily goals. Learned how to keep clean environment while working, Management was mean. If they didn't like you they would fire you. Co works were amazing had so much fun with them. Hardest part of the job was – more... the slow times. Most enjoyable part was getting to make friends and money. – less
Customer Service Focused
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Manhattan Beach, CADecember 12, 2013
Pros: the associates
Cons: the general manager
A typical day will start with opening the store, writing a summary about business to share with team and doing a to do list of plans and actions that need to take place during my shift.
The Management team work together to be as productive as possible to ensure all Customers are being well taken care of.
The hardest part of my job is, being there for – more... 7 months and the lack of training is unbearable. The company has not payroll for training so it is a learn as you go process.
The most enjoyable part is working with a knowledgeable team and people who genuinely want to help Customers. – less
AWECOME CULTURE!!
Loss Prevention Investigator/Supervisor (Current Employee), Seattle, WADecember 11, 2013
Love TB - great people, great culture, great experience! They care about their associates and embody the "life is one long weekend" experience.
Skill Sharpening Opportunity
Shipping Manager (Former Employee), West Palm Beach, FLDecember 6, 2013
As Shipping Manager for this organization, Relaxed Business culture was key.
Can be fun.....
Sales (Former Employee), New YorkNovember 26, 2013
Pros: free clothes
Cons: short breaks, expensive benefits, no paid holidays, no time and a half.
It can be a great company and the guests have been the best I ever worked with in retail. Management could use some help. Co-workers were awesome. Benefits stink compared to other companies. The no paid holidays is such a cheep thing to do.
GrEAT WORKPLACE
Guest Services Representative (Current Employee), Federal Way, WANovember 22, 2013
A great company that inspires US to relax.Everybody comes in with a smile and everybody says hi to each other everyday.Management is awesome and everything is well organized and there is plennty of room for growth here.
Great place to work and live the everyday is the weekend lifestyle.
Store Manager (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INNovember 15, 2013
Great place to work and live the everyday is the weekend lifestyle.
Very busy workplace, with lots of great team members and guests!
Store Manager (Current Employee), Palo Alto, CAOctober 3, 2013
Pros: great uniform, wonderful team and outstanding guests
Cons: work life balance
I typical day at work, is a very busy one. I do everything from balancing payroll, helping with stock, cleaning, arranging displays, coaching team, opening and closing store and helping guests on the sales floor.

I have learned many things in all my time here, the most important is how to show your team and give the best guest service!

I manage a – more... team of one assistant manager, two floor supervisors, one stock coordinator, one stock coordinator, and 12 sales associates.

The most challenging part of my job is to balance my time between work and home.There is always lots to do.

The most enjoyable part of my days is working with my team and our outstanding guests! – less
Great Food and Service Standards
Manager (Former Employee), Orlando, FLOctober 2, 2013
Pros: not there anymore
Cons: the rest of the management
Really enjoyed it for the majority of my time there. The last 9 months were very painful filled with hypocrisy, and micro management. My annual review was 7 months late. Don't let them sell you on quality of life unless you believe 12 hour days are quality of life.
Very productive enviroment
Stock Coordinator/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLAugust 30, 2013
It was on Las Olas Blvd. So there was always a lot of traffic, and always something to do. We didn't always have shipment coming in. So i had free time to get things in order, help with customers, and use my visual skills to keep up the appearance of the store.
My Enjoyment at Tommy Bahama
Sales Associate (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOJuly 30, 2013
Pros: management, coworkers, aesthetic, and pay per hour
Cons: sometimes, a few clients come in a little high-strung
Tommy Bahama was a store that I enjoyed to go to, even on days off. My time there was the overall vibe of the store: relaxed paradise. Having just worked there for approximately nine months, I learned a great deal of retail experience. My people's skills dramatically improved and my interactions with coworkers, bosses and even customers always kept – more... me going and feeling great about myself. As my time there came to a close, my coworkers were impressed by my ability for selling cologne and during my employment, I helped a secret shopper and received a 90% all by myself. The one thing my managers always emphasized was in order to have a relaxed and friendly environment, the staff need to constantly be moving and ensuring that the aesthetic is maintained. This wasn't to be overly controlling, but instead, it brought out better work ethics in me and pushed me into giving the most excellent experience for customers as I possibly could. – less
very proffesional
Fragrance Coordinator (Former Employee), free lanceJuly 12, 2013
Pros: time management
Cons: healthcare package
Working with management to set up events was very enjoyable and successful.
Restaurant without Guidance
Host, Polisher (Former Employee), Laguna Beach, CAJune 23, 2013
Opportunities to move up in the company were initially presented. Overtime it became evident this was not the case. Management made it difficult to feel secure or safe at work. Never had a feeling I could address problems or situations. Was told that I was working too much and covering too many shifts. Figured I was taking initiative and showing I was – more... a hard worker. Instead was told I wasn't what they wanted and that they didn't see potential in the future. Lacked character and straight forwardness. – less
Great place to learn but no possibility of advancement
VISUAL MERCHANDISING MANAGER (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOJune 18, 2013
Pros: great product
Cons: no opportunities for advancement
Busy, fast paced environment. Merchandising styles continually changing to stay with current trends!!!

1 2 3

About Tommy Bahama

About Tommy Bahama Tommy Bahama is part of Tommy Bahama Group, Inc, a wholly owned subsidiary of Oxford Industries, Inc. (NYSE:OXM). – Read more