Tops Friendly Markets Employee Reviews

Entry Level
Customer Service Lead (Current Employee) –  West Seneca, NYApril 24, 2017
Entry level job, guaranteed breaks and lunches, branches have a union. rapid promotion if you have a great work ethnic, good employees and management.
Pros
paid breaks
Service Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  It was in Fetzner Rd. In Greece/ no longer there.April 24, 2017
I always got a good review at Tops. It was a very nice place to work for. I enjoyed the fast pace and working with the public. I wish I had never left but I had to because I became very sick.
Pros
Greay people ti work with
Cons
Standing for long time.
Loved working a tops.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Owego, NYApril 24, 2017
My time at tops was probably the best. I was there almost w years and i enjoyed all of it. The managers were well kept up with the employees and getting to know them.
Good place to work, and grown into.
Tops Supermarkets Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  Dunkirk, NYApril 23, 2017
Tops was a very humble experience, it taught me correct and proper ways to handle customers. the day including unloading the morning truck, placing the food in our produce freezer to maintain quality, and stocking the shelves with the food. while keeping all oranized and neat for the customer.
no commet
Customer Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 21, 2017
I feel that this is an inappropriate question to be required to answer and I am not comfortable doing so. I don't see how this has anything to do with looking for new job opportunities
Worse job I ever had.
Deli/carry out clerk (Former Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYApril 21, 2017
Working at tops was terrible. Short staffed all the time and very few hours are given. As I as coming on my shift most of the time my coworker would be leaving. Making it so that it was just me to take care of the department if they did their part or not.
Cons
Constantly cutting hours, constantly short staffed
easy
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamlin, NYApril 19, 2017
It is a good place to start out at. at least 16 hours with very flexible scheduling. friendly environment. hardest part can be the deep fryer ie cleaning or getting burnt.
Not enjoyable
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 18, 2017
It is a boring place to work. The pay is very low and most of the customers are rude and treat you like you are beneath them. It is a good job to start off in though.
Cheap Healthcare
SERVICE DESK CLERK-BOOKKEEPER (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 18, 2017
Working at least part time at tops will provide you with cheap healthcare. Its also good insurance. Most of the managers are layed back if you preform your job well.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
low pay
Good to work around people
Food Prep Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Sanborn, NYApril 15, 2017
It was a very busy, fast-paced job all the time. It was very cool to learn different departments when I was able to. I enjoyed being able to work with people both on the job and with customers. The hardest part was always being busy with no time for a lunch and no time to properly train employees.
Pros
friendly employees
Cons
always busy, no help
I loved my job.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gates, NYApril 15, 2017
I love the nice customers and employees. They very positive and keep a smile on their face and mine. I enjoy working hard. It was a great working experience.
Pros
Working very hard
Cons
Short break
This Is A Great Job To Work At
Cart Associates (Current Employee) –  999 East Ridge RoadApril 14, 2017
The Most I Enjoy About Working At Tops Is How Happy The Customers After You Greet Them & Provide Them With The Things They Need So Thats What I Enjoys
Pros
We Get bonus cards For Have Off On Some Of The Things We Buy
Cons
Are 15mins Breaks Are Long Enough So We Can Use The Bathroom & Eat Before Heading Back 2 Work
Great management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamburg, NYApril 12, 2017
Tops is a great place to work for college and high school students who need a flexible schedule. There isn't that many benefits in the job. Growth within the company isn't something I saw often.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no growth opportunity
it was okay
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hannibal, NYApril 12, 2017
I started working in Aug, and I asked for 20 hours a week, and rarely got it. it wasn't enough to pay for expenses, and I had school as well, so I couldn't work Tuesday or Thursday because that's when my classes were, so I didn't get any shifts except for the weekends.
It's a job
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Depew, NYApril 7, 2017
Depending on the location it can be either laid back or hectic. Ideally you have a laid back supervisor and can go to work without stress. You do your job to the best of your ability and go home. Other locations with more strict management can come down on you despite your best efforts. As far as I can tell it's a dice roll but with the union in place your unlikely to lose your job so long as you show up. Friends of mine have moved on to management positions so there must be room for advancement if you so choose to pursue that. Not a bad job but not one I'd wanna settle on for too long. Health insurance is good though so there's that.
Pros
unlikely to be fired, good health insurance, flexible scheduling
Cons
possible strict management makes for an unpleasant work week, poor pay
Fun
Assistant Night Crew Manager (Former Employee) –  Warsaw, NYApril 7, 2017
Was fun until upper management tried to take things over and wanted you to do more paperwork than being out leading by example.Was ok for a while then went down hill.
A basic job if you are looking for a check
Asst Bakery Manager/ Customer service lead (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 5, 2017
The company is on a decline and working conditions are suffering because of it. Way too may budget cut which are hindering associates from efficiently executing their jobs. No real help from corporate since their the ones who are implementing these changes.
Pros
A union that provides job security
Cons
Subpar working equipment, incompetent management, no concern for corporate
great environment
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYApril 3, 2017
a typical day is staying busy helping customers

I have learned a lot of computer skills

The most enjoyable part is meeting new people and knowing the customers and there needs
Pros
union
Cons
no hrs
not the best job, but it is a job.
Night Stock Clerk/Manager on Duty (Current Employee) –  Sherrill, NYApril 2, 2017
Tips friendly markes as a whole is a great company to work for. After 90 days you are offered health, drug, eye, and dental insurance. On the down side, the store in sherrill, NY has amazing staff but not so good management. Assistant manager positions have been cut on the night crew as well as the night crew staff. All and all i would give the corparation as a whole a 8.5/10, as for the tops in sherrill.. 4/10.
Pros
great co-workers, friendly cashiers.
Cons
lousey management, hour shifts weekly, short staffed on nights.
employess were fun to be around
CSL/Scanner/Gas Attendant/Front End (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 31, 2017
some employees where fun to be around and made for enjoyable environment to be in but some others were never happy and always bringing down others. The store itself was an ok place to be but does not offer full time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tops Friendly Markets. Our community is ready to answer.

Tops Friendly Markets Reviews by Location