Tops Friendly Markets Employee Reviews

loved the people and the job, just not certain aspects of management
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chittenango, NYFebruary 16, 2018
The day of a cashier was simple,
ring out customers
make sure everything was on the WIC check if they had one
check under the carts to make sure no one forgot something in their order or tried to steal.
make sure people had there valid ID's when they bought alcohol, tobacco and other products that required it.
scanning the bonus card to ensure the customer savings.

I learned how to really be professional in this job. Most of the people I worked with were very friendly and willing to help if I needed it. They were the ones to help me through if I were to ever have a bad day.

However, the reason why I want to leave is that of how unfairly some of us including myself were treated by some aspects of upper management in the store.
Pros
Unionized, good eye and dental insurance, paid family leave
Cons
unfair treatment by certain aspects of management
work here is no one else will hire you
Customer Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NYFebruary 15, 2018
Working at Tops isn't bad if you are a high school student, or college student. Career advancement is rarely happens. To make matters worse, you want have quality job experience to work somewhere else
Pros
its a job
Cons
too many to mention
They left my store in the dust.
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Gardner, MAFebruary 12, 2018
The store wasn't making enough cash and they refused to change big issues they brought in a claw machine and decided to just get things that wouldn't have helped they brought clothes instead of changing prices more so to Massachusetts standards.
Pros
Decent hours if you work part time
Cons
15 min breaks if you dont like the co workers you wont enjoy the job.
Poor management
Deli/Carry Out Café Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Le Roy, NYFebruary 12, 2018
Over all managers and union picked favorites. Lack of support. Managers have no problem throwing employees under the bus. No proper time to properly train people.
Productive work place.
Assistant Bakery Manager (Current Employee) –  Sandy Creek, NYFebruary 11, 2018
Fun people to work with. Fast paced. Flexible hours. Friendly customers. Nice work environment. Close to my home. My work days are usually very busy. I've worked in several different departments.
unprofessional
Cashier/Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 11, 2018
very strict work environment . at times no hours . fun environment . bad management . the hardest part I would have to say would be the customers ....
Assistant Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Hoosick Falls, NYFebruary 9, 2018
Cashier job is easy but once you get into the office or higher up it gets to be hard work and a ot of reponsibiity. They have okay benefits and a good union.
Quick paced work envronment
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Attica Center, NYFebruary 6, 2018
The Deli was a very fast paced environment, and at times you would have to juggle multiple orders and customers at the same time. It's very easy to get overwhelmed. Luckily, I had a great store manager to back us up and keep us plugging along. My only problem with the job was zero part time benefits and no room for full-time employment.
Pros
Great managers
Cons
Not much room for professional growth
closed
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 6, 2018
Tops was a ok place to work. friendly employees, pay rate was low but i was in high school at the time. Ok job for students. Not demanding and flexable hours
Stressful and Underappreciated
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Le Roy, NYFebruary 5, 2018
They don't want to take care of their employees, which has a snowball effect on customer service. We were always short staffed and when we had a suggestion for management to improve the workplace, we were dismissed as if we didn't matter in their eyes. We were always exhausted and didn't have the proper tools to do the job.
Pros
The co workers are very nice
Cons
Didn't feel like valued
Friendly workplace, no ability to earn raise or advance career
Cashier, CSL, Home Delivery, Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lockport, NYFebruary 5, 2018
I worked at Tops in Lockport for 4 years, helped out in most departments and worked hard from the time i came in to the time i left every shift. Did not dislike any tasks given to me or any coworkers. When you are hired, you are told you will receive a $0.50 raise every 6 months, after 4 years of working I still made minimum wage and was not given what was promised. No issues with management just felt that it was time to move on from a job with no financial benefit.
Pros
Friendly Work environment, approachable management.
Cons
No reward for hard work
Mixed Bag
Department Head Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 4, 2018
Max 40 Hours Per Week / OT Not Allowed, as a department "manager" you really are a glorified shift manager. No real opportunity to share ideas or new ways of doing things, interview prospective associates or run your own department.

Issues brought up to the operations team are simply brushed off with excuses, but if you don't meet "expectations" its a different reaction.

I find that there simply is not enough time in the day to perform all the required work, as a manager, time should be provided throughout the day for paperwork, etc, instead, you are considered an associate and should be working the whole shift on the floor.

Perhaps if Tops payed a bit more and allowed the department managers to run their own departments, better quality associates and managers would be willing to stay and work harder.
great job for a student or a part time job
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 31, 2018
This was my first job. I worked in many departments and was very well rounded. I worked as a cashier and also worked at the customer service desk. It was a good first job.
Ungrateful
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lowville, NYJanuary 31, 2018
You work so hard and you don't get any appreciation or bonuses not even a single thank you for coming in on your days off because your peers skip work etc. When you're actually sick and can't come in they give you a guilt trip. Didn't receive a holiday bonus again this year or have any employee parties like the past. Wish P&C didn't fall apart this job use to be a lot more enjoyable and management actually cared about their employees, right now we are just a number. There is little to none job security here now.
Overall good place to work.
Customer Service Manager (CSM) (Current Employee) –  345 Amherst St Buffalo NY 14213January 29, 2018
I enjoy working with the company. Great benefits and hours. Management doesnt back other dept managers up. Staff is fun and easy to get along with. Customers were friendly and easy to talk to.
Pros
Benefits, hours.
Cons
Pay, Higher Management
Days went fast
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, NYJanuary 29, 2018
Got paid to work out basically, able to listen to music. End of the day tended to be more relaxed. Loading trucks was easy, whizzing around on the pallet jacks was also fun.
Its was nice
Deli Clerk/COC Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Tonawanda, NYJanuary 28, 2018
For a starter job it was nice but not much room for advancing in the company great coworkers nice atmosphere and the day went by fast wonderful starter job
its tops its lame
Scanner (Former Employee) –  Orchard Park, NYJanuary 27, 2018
fine starting job, its a deadend job though, slow most of the time with sudden rushes of customers. Works very boring, probably mind numbing even....
Decent job, good if not wanting to go very far
Dairy Frozen Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 26, 2018
Good if you just want a retail job. Flexible hours, hard to get fired, some benefits, including paid time off and some health insurance. Management is very much hit or miss. Some great, some horrid. Pay is pretty bad though, largely due to minimum wage increases you'll probably never make more than minimum in a non management position.
Poor management
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NYJanuary 25, 2018
Was forced to work hours I was not scheduled when a co worker called off multiply times and was not compensated for the effort and management I was putting in