Tops Markets, LLC

Tops Markets, LLC Employer Reviews

poor place to work at
gopher (Current Employee), buffalo nyMay 20, 2014
8-12hrs a day i have learned i had better look for a new job if i expect to have anything in life, management is so un organized over there, its not even funny!! The hardest part of the job is having to go to work and deal with incompatance.There is nothing enjoyable about the job,no future there
Busy fun place to work
Bakery Manager (Former Employee), Wellsboro, PAMarch 24, 2014
Pros: great people to work with, fun job
Cons: not the greatest healthcare, and mandatory union
I really enjoyed working at Tops. I basically went to work and played with frosting all day, with a little paper work in the middle. The most difficult part of my job was managing inventory, and stayin under the alloted department budget for inventory. I learned a lot about how to manage a business and what is required of management. The upper management – more... department that I worked with were great people. They were really good about helping me learn the ropes of retail management. – less
Grocery Store, typical
Dairy/Frozen/Produce Associate (Former Employee), Wellsville, NYMarch 10, 2014
Pros: provided a paycheck
Cons: lack of opportunity for advancement
A typical day at work, as an associate, was to run stock to the shelves as much as possible and to maintain orderliness of products on the same shelves. Also, assist customers in any way as needed and to coordinate with fellow staff to ensure safety of the shoppers as well as clean up spills. In addition, it was required that we monitor perishable products – more... to ensure nothing expired would be offered to customers, as well as to maintain proper rotation of those products to reduce loss from spoilage.
If I learned/grew in any way, it would have been in how I communicated with customers and provided customer service. To respond appropriately to disgruntled customers
My coworkers were often profane with a fairly negative outlook.
The hardest part of the job was the rote tedium that was the typical day. The tasks were simple but mundane, and there was little incentive offered to encourage the employees to excel.
The most enjoyable part of the job was... – less
Typical Chain
Pharmacy Manager (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYFebruary 15, 2014
Pros: decent pay
Cons: management expected 110 percent with no support
Cut technician hours when pharmacy system upgraded. Or transfer techs to offsite locations when more help in pharmacy would be more customer beneficial.
Difficult to work for, little compensation, little personal regard for its employees
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), NYOctober 15, 2013
Pros: 401k matching (10%) and year-end bonus (if the company performed satisfactorily, we received 7% of our salary)
Cons: no breaks, flimsy benefit packages, bad corporate structure, managerial disconnect.
As a salaried manager, a typical day would begin with coming into work at 7am, solving crises that happened the previous evening in my absence, and rushing to get necessary daily paperwork done prior to the morning rush. Departments were always understaffed due to hourly staff cutbacks, and I, as salaried staff never got breaks or lunches. Rather, I – more... was often expected to stay well beyond the end of my shifts (and come in on days off, vacations etc.) to get all the daily t's crossed and i's dotted that I couldn't get done earlier because I had to "fill in the gaps" of our missing department employees and work registers all day.

Often customers would complain about the short-staff issues and unfortunately there was little to do to ease our customers' frustrations. Total emphasis on audit compliance was also to the detriment of customer service reinforcement. The hardest part of the job would be the fact that on a daily basis, I performed very little of the work I was hired to do; rather, I mostly engaged in the work of the hourly clerks, and had very little time to dedicate to the positive image of the company through the effective management of my department.

The most enjoyable part of the job were my coworkers. Their constant affirmation was the best thing I had to look forward to every day; it confirmed that I was at least doing a good job in their eyes. – less
Its a good place to work for but management needs better communation with
Retail Grocery Check-out Clerk (Former Employee), Rome, NYSeptember 16, 2013
Co-workers were the best team to work with. The grocery manager and store manager need to talk to the employees better without yelling.
Super Employee turned Nemisis
CASHIER, DAIRY FROZEN, OVERNIGHT, PRODUCE (Former Employee), RochesterMay 29, 2013
Pros: pharmacy grants and loans. health benefits. 401k, minimum 16hrs weekly.
Cons: your interest is not important. management lacks communication, and patience. pay stops at $8.5 plus one yearly taxable $200(179)
Let me start by saying I have came to work on a spained ankle, I have gotten into a bike vs car accident on my way to work and still worked before taken off assignment.
This company is very secretive nothing is out in the open. Honestly no one is making much money, so management is mad all the time.
The best is a hourly management position, salary paid – more... employees work 50hrs weekly but paid 40hrs n $50 a week for benefits. SMH
There is no moral, managers will reduce department hours just to get a bonus.
The only perks to this job is the benefits, its a good second job for the humbled people who dont mind becoming a slave to the corporation that is Tops Markets.
"Tops never stops, making you poor" – less
Good people not the greatest management.
Clerk (Current Employee), Cheektowaga, NYJuly 3, 2012
Management more concerned about the bottom line then they are of you.
Great Place To Work
Customer Relationship Marketing Intern (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYMarch 29, 2012
Tops has an amazing atmosphere. The people are extremely helpful and friendly. It is an awesome opportunity.
Cashier/ Deli clerk (Former Employee), North Syracuse, NYFebruary 29, 2012
Overall Tops is a good company to work for. great for high school and college students.
Very detail oriented
Customer Service Lead (Current Employee), Cheektowaga, NYJanuary 14, 2012
if you have a strong work ethic you can easily advance and move up. Many people are cross trained in different departments.

About Tops Markets, LLC

Tops Markets, LLC, is headquartered in Williamsville, NY and operates 71 full-service supermarkets and five franchise supermarkets. – Read more