Torrid Employee Reviews

good second job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDJanuary 18, 2016
I have fallen in love with this job. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. But there's absolutely no room for advancement in the store I'm in even though there's been a position open multiple times, I get no hours at all, the pay sucks compaired to everyone else in the area, and no benifits unless you're management which again, can't advance. Its a great secondjob if you already have a full time job. The discount is great too. But even after pouring my heart into this job and telling my boss I would do anything and be great if I were given the chance, you just can't get it. I love this store with all my heart and soul. But don't expect to have this job be your ONLY one. Because my salary is no mistake, I only made between $2000 and $3000 this WHOLE YEAR. And I had an almost completely open availability.
Pros
discount is better then anyone else in retail, flexable hours, great people
Cons
no benifits for associates, no advancement, really low wages, no hours
Fun store environment, but treated poorly by upper management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gretna, LAMarch 28, 2016
When I started this job I loved it and loved the company. A typical day for a sales associate was cashiering, cleaning, and helping customers. But as time went out and we began to get new management, it became clear they thought of the sales associates as completely replaceable. Everyone was really condescending and I was treated as though I didn't know how to do my job. We were also being compensated poorly for the amount of work we were expected to do. The hardest part of the job was definitely dealing with upper management. The most enjoyable was the customers.
Pros
Good discount, some great customers
Cons
Poor compensation, condescending managers
Overall no
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 28, 2016
Torrid on the outside looks like an AMAZING company, because of all the benefits we give customers, but in reality its NOTHING like that, they pay sales associates minimum wage and EXPECT you to be able to put your life on hold. management is even worse. they will say youre part time, pay you (a dollar more for key holder, a couple more for PTASM) next to nothing, with no benefits for the key holders or PTASM, and they expect you to work more then 25 hours a week, Im a key holder and i am working close to 40 hours, because my store manager is NSO (new store opener) and i dont get paid more or
Pros
nice employee discount
Cons
more hours the required with no increase in pay, no communication, no flexiablity
Hard workers who are very driven and goal oriented
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOJuly 24, 2016
Working there had been an amazing experience! I learned a lot of valuable skills that I will be very beneficial to my success at other jobs. My co workers were very driven and goal oriented. They also were very supportive of each and everyone of us. We were like a family. Once I started to become sick they all were right there for me to support and give me every opportunity to succeed. I am very incredibly grateful for this experience and wish that my health hadn't gotten in the way of my work. I loved coming into the store as a customer and feeling a sense of belonging and working there had been just the same if not even more!
Pros
Supportive and caring employees. Hard working and goal oriented business.
Cons
Didn't get that many hours. I applied for full time and some weeks I would only get 3 hours.
District and store managers dont care.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDSeptember 10, 2016
a typical day is doing your work plus the store managers work because the company tells them they are only to oversea and not do. Dealing with rude guests who think they are better then you. I've learned to use my time management skills even more then before while working here. Management thinks they are above everyone else. my coworkers were amazing unless the store manager picks out her favorites, then those individuals think they are better then you which made it working a little tough. Hardest part of my job was not putting management in their place. Enjoyable part was the discount on clothing.
Pros
discounts on clothes
Cons
no break room, no fridge, had to spend money for lunch
Stressful but fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXAugust 1, 2016
Work was always pretty enjoyable. I loved interacting with customers and helping them choose clothes that pick up their confidence and bring out their sense of style and attitude. I learned a lot about how you have to tailor your work style to each and every customer because everyone is unique and individual. And I had a lot of good times doing this while interacting with my coworkers. The hardest part of my job was dealing with my manager who was bipolar and occasionally racist and who almost daily brought her relationship drama to work. The best part of my job was when I was able to help a customer see herself differently than she did before. When you saw her face light up and knew that she felt pretty, confident, and loved who she was, even if only in that one second, just by you helping her find an outfit that fit who she was.
Pros
Clothing discount and meeting all different kinds of people every day
Cons
short breaks, low hours, low pay for how much work we did
HORRIBLE awful management & crew?!
Management (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZMarch 19, 2016
Typical day at work involved basic management skills, such as opening store which was NEVER cleaned the night before by management. DUST everywhere, fans in the dressing room coated, bathrooms never cleaned ( Back room was DISGUSTING - ALL THE TIME. ) Setting tasks, store sets, ETC.
Store manager was more concerned with herself, than anything else. Drama, drama, drama. I was sworn at by employees, I had to stand on ladders without anyone helping or spotting me, I was working 12 hour days when other managers called out ( which was all.. the.. time.. ) ONE time I agreed to fill in at another store for Torrid, wasn't even payed for my transportation time NOR my time at the other store.. HA, what a joke. My store manager said, and I quote.. " It happens all the time, flaw in the system. I don't care though, I'm friends with ____ " ( store manager at the location I was sent too. ) UGH, are you joking? I had meetings with our regional manager, told her everything... two weeks later my store manager threatened to fire me for telling her. I got out of there.. Not motivating, disgusting, unclean, rude, just not a good place to work.
Cons
Short breaks, over worked, bad coworkers, gross.
Helped create MD store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDJuly 29, 2016
I was hired before the store was even open. I helped unload everything from the shelves, the clothes and the manikin's. I got at least 25 hours a week and I was fine with that. Once the store opened everyone's hours got cut resulting in them losing a lot of employee's but I stuck around. Come December I found out I was pregnant. I was really sick so I decided to tell them. My hours got cut and the last two weeks I was there I only had 5-9 hours so I quit. I love the company, what they stand for and the clothes but the way I was treated was not okay and I'll never work for them again.
Pros
Good company
Cons
Clothes are ecpensive, management, pay rate
Total joke.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Terrell, TXJuly 31, 2016
I was scheduled an average of 3 hours a week. Yes, you read that correctly: 3! Management kept telling me to just wait and it would get better. At first, everyone was really nice and it was enjoyable but it grew monotonous only getting scheduled 3 hours a week. And on top of barely getting paid, I would get written up for not getting "TICC's" or credit cards. Like, seriously? How can I get TICC's when I'm only working a 3 hour shift once a week? The customers were always great but management was definitely lacking.
Pros
Good discount, fun customers
Cons
EVERYTHING ELSE
Still a growing company.
PART-TIME ASSITANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  WashingtonNovember 6, 2015
As with most retail, your day consists of helping customers and pushing merchandise. It's still a fairly new company, comparatively, so there are plenty of opportunities for promotion and relocation within the store setting. It offers an intimate setting where customers feel looked after and cared for. However, as a growing company, it is still working out some of the kinks in policies, technology, and communication. The stores don't get near enough payroll hours devoted to shipment and floor sets or store meetings. Some employees have been known to work off the clock to complete tasks, even though it's against company policy to do so.
I did really enjoy the parts of my job that involved assisting customers. It would be so fulfilling to have a customer leave with an assortment of items that finally made her feel beautiful again. But finding a balance between sales duties and management duties (paperwork, payroll, emails, etc.) is what ultimately left me feeling too stressed. Hopefully as the company grows and settles, they will be able to show the same devotion to their employees as they do their customers.
On the fence
Associate (Former Employee) –  West Orange, NJJune 25, 2016
When people tell me they want to work here, I try so hard not to tell them to run. The store manager is horrible to work with. She's rude, too sarcastic and needs to be fired and replaced. She complains about having to come to work with "us people" and doesn't give out hours fairly. The people who have left that store was all because of her. There's no proper training like bra measurements, folding for the panties, learning all of the tools on the computer or even using the phone! The only thing I did enjoy was seeing the customers walk out happy
Pros
Discount on clothes
Cons
Little Hours, Slow, boring
Torrid is a home away from home
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Gurnee, ILJune 27, 2016
I love my job at Torrid. When I come into work it depends on the hours we get to work with from the previous merchandise sold from the store. More merchandise sold, I get more hours. I have learned to be patient with people better. My time management has improved, so has my multitasking skills. Currently we are going through a change in management. The current store manager is leaving to go to a different company. Things are still running smoothly though. My co-workers and I get along well. We have fun with each other and make inside jokes, it's lighthearted. The hardest part of my job is trying not to do everything at once. For example, if I'm helping a customer and then I see another customer in line because there isn't another person at the register. I have to keep myself from jumping on the register and focus at the task at hand. The most enjoyable part is when a woman finds the outfit that makes her feel confident in her skin and she leaves the store with a wide smile or when someone comes in and remembers my name and want my help to find something else.
Pros
The people I work with
Cons
Rude customers
Productive and fun workplace
SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  TxSeptember 28, 2015
Normal weeks at work are slow in the beginning of the week and busy down to the weekend. You have daily goals that are mandatory to meet. The managers are usually pretty cool and understanding. Mine have been! A lot of girls come and go, because of the retail life. You will have a mixture of girls that you will get along with and the other few that you won't. The hardest parts of the days are when you are having a very slow day. Not making one of your goals and getting on to the next day. I enjoy the connections made between our customers.
Pros
Connecting with customers. Discounts. Fun environment.
Cons
No benefits unless you are full time management. Low pay.
fun but stressful environment
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Kenner, LASeptember 22, 2016
I've been with the company for about 18 months and go promoted into the SM role within a year. The company itself is not bad to work for, but there really is little support and training from upper management. You are basically supposed to figure it out on your own and hope for the best. Pay is decent if you are full time, but part time assistant & lower don't make that much.
Pros
fun work environment, growing company, great discount
Cons
never truly a day off, little to no training
It was different.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHJune 3, 2016
A typical day at work would be helping women find clothing that they liked and making sure they felt comfortable in their own skin. I learned quite a lot about how to approach customers and how to deal with them. My managers were all awesome and cool people to be around. My co-workers were mainly my managers. The hardest part of the job was to get customers to apply for credit cards. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I got to be around women who were just like me and we all had the same insecurities and we helped each other embrace them.
Good if...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIJuly 11, 2016
This is a fun job if you have the right team.
Typical day was nice, Weekends can be a hassle.
Co-workers are nice,
Hardest part of the job is standing the whole time when there aren't and customers.
Most enjoyable part of the job was when new clothes came to the store, on slow days you can shop for yourself and the discount is amazing for the job.

It's kind of tough trying to move up if you don't have any experience.
Like I said standing was tough.
Pros
Discount on mechandise
Cons
Few hours
i love all the girls i worked with, and the joy most brought.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAJune 6, 2016
I have nothing bad to say about the women i worked with, it was honestly how overworked I felt after each shift, and how kind of unorganized the management can be on busy days, or how they were pretty much over staffing the store. I feel if they treated the associates better instead of making us feel like slaves to the General manager and full time managers, I wouldn't have been so harsh on my leaving.
Pros
how close all the lady's were with one an other
Cons
how "slave- like" it felt
Horrible company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJune 24, 2016
I really loved this job when I first started. Then the managers started to get switched around. The company started to push more product into the stores and it has become really stressful. Have to do duties that are outside of job description. Managers play favorite. The favorites gets the most hours regardless of availability of others or seniority.
Pros
40% discount with the occasional 50% off. Hot topic discount too.
Cons
Little hours. Horrible pay. Very slim chance of promotion
Great company as long as you have the right management.
Sales Associate/Key holder (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXSeptember 9, 2016
Great company to work for as long your store has the right management team. This is a very fast paced retail environment and can overwhelm those not capable. The discount and bonuses are wonderful and they really care about their employees. The atmosphere is great and I always had a good time at work.
Pros
fun atmosphere, great discount, lax dress code
Cons
pay, goals can be hard to attain
Watch Your Back
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJanuary 27, 2016
Management turn over in this place is horrendous. The store manager is constantly under pressure, so the trickle down effect is real. The pressure to make sales is very stressful, especially depending on your location and the demographic shopping your store. The higher ups are very corrupt as well. You can NOT trust your managers, unless they are geniune which they probably aren't...... They have a lot of growing to do. They let go of the real talent and keep the suck-ups.
Pros
Discount